Soto returns to the mound

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][b][size=5]Soto returns to the mound[/size][/b]
[size=3][b]Reds notebook[/b][/size]
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. - Mario Soto came to spring training pretty much every year anyway.

But this year is different.

"I'm back in uniform," Soto said.

Soto, a former Reds pitcher, is here as a guest instructor. Tom Browning will be here in a similar role. It's part of new CEO Bob Castellini's effort to tap into the club's rich history.

"It's a big step," Soto said, "back to the old school. They just asked me to help out."

Soto has been involved with the Reds, in a less formal role, at their camp in the Dominican Republic.

Johnny Almaraz, the club's director of player development/international operations, asked Soto to come to spring training.

Soto will attempt to teach his devastating changeup to Reds pitchers.

"It's going good so far," he said.

Soto also is encouraged with the Reds' talent pipeline in the D.R.

"The academy's been open a year," he said. "I can see the change. Pitching-wise, it's looking good. We've got some kids who have a chance."

[b]TRANSACTION: [/b] Luke Hudson, designated for assignment Friday when the Reds claimed LHP Michael Gosling off waivers from the Diamondbacks, cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A Louisville.

Hudson is in camp as a non-roster invitee.

[b]GONE TO RAYS:[/b] Andres Reiner, one of former general manager's Dan O'Brien's last hires, is leaving the Reds to become a special assistant for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Reiner, 70, spent 17 years in the Astros organization before being hired as a special assistant for player personnel by the Reds in December.

"He's had a 20-year relationship with (Tampa vice president) Gerry Hunsicker," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "When they called, I said 'OK' immediately."

[b]COACHING OPENING:[/b] First base coach John Moses retired Thursday, leaving the Reds with a coaching opening two days before the first workout.

Moses started last season as the minor-league outfield/base-running coordinator. He was promoted to bench coach when Dave Miley was fired.

He told the Reds he was tired of the schedule that kept him away from his Seattle-area home for eight months a year.

Former coach and current special assistant Ken Griffey Sr. is interested. Griffey is coaching first base for the U.S. team in the World Baseball Classic. That probably would not be a problem, because minor-league coaches are around during spring training.

[b]ANOTHER HIRE:[/b] Krivsky hired Chris Buckley as senior director of scouting Thursday.

Buckley worked in the Toronto Blue Jays organization from 1989-2005, most recently as a special assistant to the general manager. Since Jan. 1, he has been a special assistant to the general manager for the Chicago Cubs.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060217/SPT04/602170366/1071"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../602170366/1071[/url]

I remember as a 15 year old hanging around either the Westin or Hyatt downtown trying to snag autographs from players in the all star game. This was 1988 I think. Anyway, Soto showed up. I think he was with the Dodgers at the time and his So-Fro had turned totally grey. Kind of a surprise. Plus, the jag signed nothing. This experience aside, he was one of the few bright spots for the reds in the early 80's. Anyone remember when Claudell Washington of the Braves charged the mound and Mario threw a heater at Claudell's midsection from about 20 feet away? Classic!!!

[quote name='Jason' post='219471' date='Feb 17 2006, 02:41 PM']Soto has to be the best 2 pitch pitcher of all time. I wish he had never thrown a slider. I think that is what ended his career. But he had the best changeup ever.[/quote]

Jason,

My son (oldest) has a nasty "slider" with a so-so change. Topping off at 93 on his fastball, I am trying to get him (and my youngest) to work on their change-ups.

My oldest JC coach fell in love with his "slider" too much; he had him throw it 9 straight pitches in a game. :blink:

The last one (pitch) resulted in a walk-off home run; the only homer he allowed in his two-years at Juco. <_<

( he had to sit out the fall season; resting and rehabing a worn labrum) :(

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='219466' date='Feb 17 2006, 02:24 PM']I remember as a 15 year old hanging around either the Westin or Hyatt downtown trying to snag autographs from players in the all star game. This was 1988 I think. Anyway, Soto showed up. I think he was with the Dodgers at the time and his So-Fro had turned totally grey. Kind of a surprise. Plus, the jag signed nothing. This experience aside, he was one of the few bright spots for the reds in the early 80's. [b]Anyone remember when Claudell Washington of the Braves charged the mound and Mario threw a heater at Claudell's midsection from about 20 feet away? Classic!!![/b][/quote]

:lol:

i wish i could have seen that, it sounds hilarious.... what don't pitchers now days do that, it would be fucking hilarious to see the guy running at the mound than all the sudden get laid out by a pitch

Archived