Big people unite

MULLY

Started on a diet Monday, eat oatmeal with sweetner for breakfast, around 1000am I eat some fresh fruit then lunch I get a salad from McDs with low fat dressing then snack at night on carrotts and celery. I cut out alcohol and I drink unsweetened tea and water

so far so good but worried about the upcoming weekend

couple of questions for the experts

Is it wise to go with a low fat and low carb, low sugar diet ?

Is it essential to have a day where you're off the diet?

Are there pills or drugs that can help?

right now I'm 5'9 235 pounds

The only problem I'm experiencing at the moment is that my wife thinks I'm toning down to leave her :mellow:

[quote name='Storm' post='225556' date='Mar 3 2006, 09:21 PM']couple of questions for the experts

The only problem I'm experiencing at the moment is that my wife thinks I'm toning down to leave her :mellow: [/quote]

I'll answer these in order.

1) Yes. Very wise. Actually, you need carbs for energy. But try to stay away from your simple carbs which would be white bread, pasta, rice......any white/bleached carb is a no no. Take in complex carbs from things like whole wheat bread, wheat noodles if you want pasta, a lot of veggies are high in carbs too.....but not the bad ones. But don't overdo those either. Moderation is the key. Staying away from sugar will do you wonders too. If you have the extra cash lying aroud and want to invest in a really good book pick up "The Low Blood Sugar Handbook" by Ed Krimmel. It's a paperback and shouldn't set you back too much. Under 10 bucks probably. I know they have it at Amazon.com. Read it and you'll have a new outlook on the things you decide to eat.

2) Definitely not. Especially with sugar. Refined sugar is like heroin. Try to cut sugar entirely out of your diet for a few days. You'll be climbing the walls. Trying to get the refined sugars out of your system is like trying to kick a drug habit. Get a little taste of it and you'll want more. Seriously. Once you're clean though, say about 6-8 months, and then you try one of your old favorites you won't believe how shitty it tastes. I used to drink Coca Cola like it was water coming out of the spiggot (sp?) When I got diagnosed with Hypoglycemia and had to stop all that shit it was probably 2 years before I tasted a Coke. Unfucking real how bad that shit tastes. It's so sweet it makes my teeth hurt. If you start your diet, stick to it. Don't go off even for a day. It'll only get you back to cheating a little here and there and then next thing you know you're fat again. I'm proof positive of that one.

3) Pills? Stay away from them. Why throw something into your system? You'll lose weight in a healtheir fashion if you just stick to a good balanced diet and get some exercise.

As for your wife....you can't really blame her. Especially if she is carrying a few extra pounds too. Of course I don't know your wife at all so I really can't say anything about her. But if she does have a little extra luggage you losing weight could make her paranoid.
Good luck, man. I like your menu. You'll drop weight quick eating like that.
MULLY

[quote name='BengalBeotch' post='225255' date='Mar 3 2006, 03:26 AM'][quote name='Fulcher_33' post='224917' date='Mar 2 2006, 01:49 AM']
[quote name='BengalBeotch' post='224721' date='Mar 2 2006, 03:46 AM']
OK...so I suck....I know I said I would officially start today but I
did try to start last Wednesday... I do pretty good during the week
but forget about it on the weekends!.... I am doing better at eating
more home cooked meals instead of Fast Food but I can't seem
to get in exercise mode...I get up, take care of the kid, get myself
ready for work...pick him up after work, don't get home till 6ish, if I cook, we don't eat till
around 7, then I have to entertain him till bedtime...by the time
he falls asleep it's 10 at night and It's hard to get motivated to
hit the treadmill that late...uuggg....he wakes earlier then I do so
I can't do it in the mornings either.. I'm like a single parent because
my hubby works 3rd shift... I don't have anyone to watch him...

oh well... I'll hopefully try harder this week...[/quote]

Hey, didn't you tell us that you have a lot of Bengals gear you want to be wearing next season? Dammit, woman, 15 - 20 minutes on the treadmill isn't going to kill you. No one said you have to do it for an hour. If you start off slow you may gain the motivation to add more time later. Now, god dammit, when you put that kid to bed set aside 15 minutes for your treadmill. Watch TV while you're doing it. I want to see you in your gear next season!!!!!
MULLY
:onoudidnt:
[/quote]

thanks MULLY!!! I needed that.
[/quote]

Damn straight. That's what we're here for. To get each others backs. You know, each and every one of us, barring some freak medical condition, only have poor excuses for not losing the weight. At least you were honest in saying you lack the motivation. One of the worst excuses is "I don't have time." Horseshit. You (figuratively speaking) have enough time to eat food that is bad for your waist line so that means you have just the same amount of time to make those foods that are good for you. Also, "I don't have time to exercise" is a crock of shit too. I bet everyone involved with this thread can sit back for 30 minutes and watch TV. Or blow 30 minutes going through the messages on this board. Take that time and do something with it like walking. 30 minutes a day will do wonders. There is no reason to workout for hours and hours unless you want to be a body builder or some shit like that. If people are in the same condition that I'm in 30 mintues a day walking, and eating healthier, will make a HUUUUUGGEEEE difference.
MULLY
I WANT TO SEE YOUR GEAR, BEOTCH!!!!!

Here's my motivation.
[img]http://img313.imageshack.us/img313/4672/1f0c3ux.jpg[/img]

The photo on the left was about 2.5 years ago. The photo on the right was this past X-mas. I used to be like the X-mas photo, then I got down to the photo on the left, and then I shot right back to the X-mas pic. I knew I had put on some weight but I never thought it was that bad. You just don't see it like that in the mirror. It is totally fucking embarassing for me to post this photo here but fuck it! I need the embarassment to keep me motivated. Also, if you guys see what I once was and what I am now it may help you to help me.
MULLY
They say the camera adds 10 lbs. Looks like the photo on the right was taken with about 8 cameras. hehe!!

Alright! I'm glad to hear people haven't given in. I know we can accomplish this! Last night at work, one of my coworkers that I don't see that often asked if I've lost weight. B) Man that felt good! She said I looked good. :struts: I'm not even close to quiting though!

Storm: Sit your wife down and tell her why your doing it. Maybe you could ask her if she'd like to diet with you? I bet she could offer a great support for you.

[quote name='Storm' post='225556' date='Mar 3 2006, 07:21 AM']Started on a diet Monday, eat oatmeal with sweetner for breakfast, around 1000am I eat some fresh fruit then lunch I get a salad from McDs with low fat dressing then snack at night on carrotts and celery. I cut out alcohol and I drink unsweetened tea and water

The only problem I'm experiencing at the moment is that my wife thinks I'm toning down to leave her :mellow: [/quote]

Tell her not to worry. Your GF on the side, is your GF on the side because she does not want commitment

I'm not doing so well myself. I have eaten out for lunch/dinner or both every day this week. Drank a bunch of beer and going to a fish fry tonight. Dinner/opera tommorow. I suck

[quote name='Ben' post='225723' date='Mar 3 2006, 08:48 PM'][quote name='Storm' post='225556' date='Mar 3 2006, 07:21 AM']
Started on a diet Monday, eat oatmeal with sweetner for breakfast, around 1000am I eat some fresh fruit then lunch I get a salad from McDs with low fat dressing then snack at night on carrotts and celery. I cut out alcohol and I drink unsweetened tea and water

Tell her not to worry. Your GF on the side, is your GF on the side because she does not want commitment

I'm not doing so well myself. I have eaten out for lunch/dinner or both every day this week. Drank a bunch of beer and going to a fish fry tonight. Dinner/opera tommorow. I suck
[/quote]

Man I'm going to miss the fish fry's :( Nothing like a battered cod on a rye bun with tarter sauce :wub:

I appreciate all the support guys, maybe this is what we all need, a little competition and support

One problem I'm running into is I need a better variety of food to eat, oatmeal, and salads are ok so far but its going to get old quick, I just went to the grocery and bought a lot of fruits and vegetables and some sliced turkey rye bread and tuna

Talking to a guy who I work with who lost a lot of weight gave me some pointers today

Told me to get a small cooler and have plenty of water, take a sandwich and cut it into small squares, have some celery sticks, carrott sticks and some plain tuna, when you start to get hungry eat a square of the sammich a couple of carrott sticks and celery and a bottle of water then every hour or so when you get hungry eat a square, some carrots and a bottle of water, around lunchtime if you are still hungry eat some of the tuna and some more of the vegetable sticks. He lost 80 pounds in 6 months on a similar diet, just like some of the others on here stated he said the key is to eat a lot of small meals and stay away from sitting down with a large portion

Check this... I measured myself before I started this diet/training deal. I haven't been on this a month yet. I measured my self again tonight and I already lost 1 1/2" on my waist. :headbang: No wonder my pants are baggy! I am down to 202lbs. I am loosing fat and gaining muscle. This ROCKS! Next weeks weather (in the Nati) is supposed to be 60 and up. I may be able to go joggin outside! Keep at it Everyone!

[quote name='BengalBeotch' post='225456' date='Mar 2 2006, 09:57 PM']OK bitches......1.30 miles on treadmill tonight....

ooohhhhh, it's on now![/quote]

Good Deal Beotch!! Keep It UP!!

:thumbsup:

[quote name='Storm' post='225844' date='Mar 3 2006, 08:40 PM'][quote name='Ben' post='225723' date='Mar 3 2006, 08:48 PM']
[quote name='Storm' post='225556' date='Mar 3 2006, 07:21 AM']

[/quote]

Man I'm going to miss the fish fry's :( Nothing like a battered cod on a rye bun with tarter sauce :wub:

I appreciate all the support guys, maybe this is what we all need, a little competition and support
[/quote]

It was awesome... Allthough i did lose some money playing hold'em.. my first $20 went quick.

[quote name='Storm' post='226021' date='Mar 4 2006, 01:31 PM']I'm going to try an experimental recipe today

baked cod. going to use some white wine, garlic, lime, pepper and paprika

no olive oil, margerine or butter[/quote]

what time should I be there??

that's sounds delicious....mmmm.......

(another 1.30 on the treadmill today....whoooooop!) I almost feel like getting back
on tonight and going for 45 to an hour...it's amazing once you start getting some cardio going,
how much energy you start having....now I need to break out the old Billy Blanks tapes
and start isolating different muscle groups...yeah,....TAEBO is fun!

OK guys...I need a sit-up that doesn't hurt! Is there a way to work out your abs
without laying on the floor?...I gotta get this baby carrier fat outta here... :pointlaff:

[quote name='BengalBeotch' post='226172' date='Mar 4 2006, 11:25 PM'][quote name='Storm' post='226021' date='Mar 4 2006, 01:31 PM']
I'm going to try an experimental recipe today

baked cod. going to use some white wine, garlic, lime, pepper and paprika

no olive oil, margerine or butter[/quote]

what time should I be there??

that's sounds delicious....mmmm.......

(another 1.30 on the treadmill today....whoooooop!) I almost feel like getting back
on tonight and going for 45 to an hour...it's amazing once you start getting some cardio going,
how much energy you start having....now I need to break out the old Billy Blanks tapes
and start isolating different muscle groups...yeah,....TAEBO is fun!

OK guys...I need a sit-up that doesn't hurt! Is there a way to work out your abs
without laying on the floor?...I gotta get this baby carrier fat outta here... :pointlaff:
[/quote]

Strange thing is it tasted the same as when I made it with olive oil and margerine

when you find a way to do crunches that don't hurt please let me know

[quote name='TeeBengal' post='220763' date='Feb 21 2006, 08:58 AM']I'm in as well...... Funny you guys brought this up. I have already started actually. I started 2 weeks ago. :) I did alot of research on working out and shit like that. I've always been a Gym Rat but just haven't had the time or will the last few years. At 5'10" I was 210lb two weeks ago at about 22% body fat.

2 Weeks later I am now at 204lbs. Not a bad start! :1hump:

Here is the Outline I follow:

[url="http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/guide.pdf"]http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/guide.pdf[/url][list=1]
[*]Eat 6 meals a day-BUT! smaller portions. That increases your metabolisim. LOW in fat high in Protein and carbs. Meals should consist of 40%protein 40%Carbs 20%fat. Drink 8-10 Glasses of water a day!
[*]Exercise. M-W-F Workout with weights. T-TH-S Cardio workouts the 1st tihing when i get up in the morning. 20 minutes on the treadmill.-Sounds easy BUT its really not!
[/list]SUNDAY is a FREE DAY to do whatever you want or eat whatever you want! :thumbsup: [/quote]

That is what the Body For Life diet is:

[url="http://www.bodyforlife.com/"]http://www.bodyforlife.com/[/url]

Enter the contest and win some prizes

OK.....now I've pushed my fat ass for 30 minutes for
3 days in a row on my treadmill (anywhere from 1.3 to 1.5 miles)
I'm cooking more
instead of eating out (damn drive-thrus are so convenient!)

trying to stay away from sugar and caffeine...eating regularly
but trying not to eat as much...

I am drinking my tea instead of coffee in the mornings....
CAFFEINE free Honey Vanilla Chamomile...yummmmm.....
(I still use a sweetner and light creamer but hey, I can't give
it all up!)

tonight, I'm going to switch it up and let Billy Blanks
kick my ass.....(If the boy will let me...!)

howz everyone else doing????

I got started today (yeah yeah a day after i said i would)

So far had a cup of coffee (sorry this is gonna be the hardest thing to give up) and a healthy choice lunch (one of the fish ones). Plan on doing my normal rotine in the gym, and not sure what to do for dinner yet, I need to get some shopping done for food this weekend so Ill probabally stop by the store and get a few ready made salads till I can get my shopping done this weekend for dinners.

Also currenlty snacking on some rold gold honey wheat pretzels. Low fat low sodium.

Im still loosing weight also. My goal is to be at 270 by June first. Its a tough goal, but I think I can make it. After that, I hope to be down to 240 by kick off. My final would be to make 220, but I hoestly don't know what Id look like at that weight, and havent weighed that since the 8th grade. I have a broad chest and massive thighs so this weight may be lofty. I think Ill see what I look like by kick off. Needless to say, 90-100 lbs in less than a year is going to take a lot of hard work and dedication. Ive been doing well though, and feel better. Ill post an updated pic when 6-1-06 hits. Keep working Go-Bengals.com! Your body can accomplish only what your determination wills it to do!

[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='227445' date='Mar 8 2006, 10:53 AM']Im still loosing weight also. My goal is to be at 270 by June first. Its a tough goal, but I think I can make it. After that, I hope to be down to 240 by kick off. My final would be to make 220, but I hoestly don't know what Id look like at that weight, and havent weighed that since the 8th grade. I have a broad chest and massive thighs so this weight may be lofty. I think Ill see what I look like by kick off. Needless to say, 90-100 lbs in less than a year is going to take a lot of hard work and dedication. Ive been doing well though, and feel better. Ill post an updated pic when 6-1-06 hits. Keep working Go-Bengals.com! Your body can accomplish only what your determination wills it to do![/quote]

Don't overdo it though, man. Stick to your diet and exercise routine and just let it happen. Losing too much too fast is not good for you. But if you're as overweight as you're describing then you'll probably lose that first 50 or so real quick. Keep it up, man. We've got your back.
MULLY

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='220825' date='Feb 21 2006, 12:09 PM']I have the depression issue as well, but it's seasonal depression, winter months get me down bad. I found something that helps ALOT.

[img]http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/consumer/images/lighting_natural_main.jpg[/img]

Natural Light light bulbs.[/quote]

You can take vitamin D supplements also (aka the sunshine vitamin)

[quote name='Jungle1' post='227562' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:58 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='220825' date='Feb 21 2006, 12:09 PM']
I have the depression issue as well, but it's seasonal depression, winter months get me down bad. I found something that helps ALOT.

[img]http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/us/consumer/images/lighting_natural_main.jpg[/img]

Natural Light light bulbs.[/quote]

You can take vitamin D supplements also (aka the sunshine vitamin)
[/quote]

Interesting, I was not aware of that. Thanks Ill have to try that as well.

Guest BengalsOwn
Just an update, I ahve cut down on what I eat a lot, and my drinking has been cut down a lot too.

I don't know if I've lost any weight, but I feel like I have lost at least a few pounds.

I need to buy a scale I guess.

I bought a scale yesterday and weighed myself for the fist time in a while...

5'9 - 173 ... so I need to drop about 10-15lbs

Yesterday was good and bad for me, I didnt stick to the diet as much as I should have, had a meatloaf with mashed potato and green beens with gravy on the meatloaf and pototaos...but I also had a pepsi, somthing Im trying to do is only have one cup of coffee in the morning and let that be my caffene fix for the day and drink water the rest of it.

I also had breakfast for the first time in a while which was two Jimmy Deans breakfast burritios, gonna add breakfast to the diet now. Dinner was grilled chicken salad (girlled in canola oil) with a creamy italian dressing.

However the good was that I was working out and after the weights I didnt feel like running but I forced myself to do it anyway, felt better after and felt good that I stuck to that.

Archived