I'm liking this new owner

Guest BengalBacker

Guest BengalBacker
Castellini bringing in big names to be guest instructors
Big names from Reds glory days helping out
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, Fla. | Bob Castellini — he wants to be known as just plain Bob — sat on a veranda outside his office in the spring training complex of the Cincinnati Reds, a black Reds cap fending off a broiling Florida sun as he looked out over his new domain.

The talk was about the storied past and how he wants the present edition of the Reds to be about winning.

Castellini excused himself a moment to take a phone call and special assistant Gene Bennett said, "I've been with the Reds for 54 years and worked for a lot of good owners, but never like this man. He knows the game and can sit and talk about it."

Below Castellini, walking toward the practice fields were several blasts from the past — pitchers Tom Browning, Mario Soto, Mike LaCoss and Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench, all wearing uniforms with the same numbers they wore as players.

Eric Davis, Chris Sabo and Dave Concepcion are expected before spring training concludes as Castellini wants the star lustre to rub off on the current players.

Bench spoke Tuesday night at a mandatory team dinner, his message was about winning, winning, winning and the listeners were so attentive you could have heard a sanitary sock hit the floor.

On the field, they all were participating, talking and instructing. They aren't figureheads, they are unpaid ambassadors willing to do what they can to return their former team to the glory days.

And if that is to happen, it begins and probably ends with pitching.

"They have a lot of really good arms in camp," said Browning. "I've told Aaron Harang the only number I'm interested in his how many innings he pitches. If he throws a lot of innings, the wins will take care of themselves.

"This staff needs to get deeper into games, not put so much strain on the bullpen," Browning added.

Browning said he hopes to quietly take pitcher Eric Milton (8-15, 6.47) aside and work with him.

"I don't want to be pushy," he said. "I'm only a guest instructor and I don't want them to think I'm pushing things on them. My main message to Milton is to forget about last year. It is gone. It is a new year."

It isn't likely Milton will balk at the offered help and if he does somebody should show him Browning's record, the 20-win season his rookie year and the perfect game.

"Yeah, that perfect stuff was only an hour and 52 minutes of my life and my wife reminds me of that all the time," said Browning.

Soto, adept at watching a pitcher throw just a few pitches and to make strong judgements, should have attentive listeners, too.

"We lost 102 games in 1982, won only 60," said Soto. "I won 17 games that year, 17 of the 60, and pitched 18 complete games."

Bench watched Springfield's non-roster invitee Jimmy Journell throwing in the bullpen and nodded toward the path occupied by lefthander Brandon Claussen and Browning.

Claussen had just finished his bullpen session and Bench said, "There's Browning chatting with Claussen and the great thing about this is that all the players are listening, all are receptive."

Bench, Soto and Browning were working with heavy hearts after hearing about the death Tuesday of Scott Breeden, a long-time minor-league and major-league pitching coach with the Reds.

Breeden was a minor-league pitching coach from 1968-1981 and against in 1984-85. He was the major-league pitching coach from 1986-89.

"He taught me my changeup," said Soto, known for one of the best circle changeups in the game. "I came to the majors and they told me I needed another pitch to go with my fastball and slider. I went back to the minors and it took a long, long time but Breeden taught me that changeup and got me back in the majors and it was my best pitch."

Said Bench, "The guy was unbelievable. He would throw batting practice for 45 minutes straight, then if guys wanted extra hitting he'd throw that, too."

Added Soto, "I hope I can help some of the pitchers the way Breeden helped me, but that would be a tough, tough thing to do because, actually, he gave me my career."

Guest oldschooler

That`s great !

I`m glad to see the Reds embracing their past and trying
to use it to build on the future !

Bob (Castellini) seems to be a God send for Reds fans ! :headbang:

• 4 weeks later...
Although I'm not a big baseball fan anymore, I have to say that this article made me feel pretty good about the direction the team is taking. I think it is awesome that they are bringinig in some old timers to bring back the winning feeling. I'm a huge Bengals fan, but some of my best memories from my childhood were going to Red's evening games with my dad at Riverfront. And one of my favorite pictures of my dad is one where he got to go down on the field and have his picture taken with J. Bench.

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='oldschooler' post='221727' date='Feb 23 2006, 09:42 AM']That`s great !

[b]I`m glad to see the Reds embracing their past and trying
to use it to build on the future ! [/b]

Bob (Castellini) seems to be a God send for Reds fans ! :headbang:[/quote]

except they traded away their great young tool for the future, for a 29 year old average SP at best.

Guest Johnsons4Life
Has anybody thought about "The Messiah" to coach the reds as well. CP would be the opening day starter. Big Willie could play 1st base and be the power hitter. Think of the endless possibilities of CJ roaming in center field. Its a start to re-construct the reds!

Archived