Wily Mo to Boston?!

Palmer4HOF

[quote]The Red Sox are pursuing Reds outfielder Wily Mo Pena, executives with two rival clubs told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
The Reds had one of their top scouts watching Bronson Arroyo have his best outing of the spring today. Boston would surely prefer to give up Matt Clement, even if it meant eating a portion of his salary. If the Red Sox acquired Pena, they could put Trot Nixon, a free agent after the season, on the block. Having Pena platoon for a year and then take over as a regular in 2007 would be another possibility. Mar. 19 - 4:34 pm et
Source: FOXSports.com[/quote]

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='235099' date='Mar 20 2006, 01:31 AM']FOR GOD SAKES, PLEASE!!!!!!! DONT TRADE WILY MO, trade Kearns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Yea I would much rather have Pena than Kearns.

Guest oldschooler
Here is the article...

[quote][size=5][b]Red Sox sign Gonzalez, may deal for Pena [/b][/size]

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com

Free agent Juan Gonzalez has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Red Sox, but the Sox's quest to add power might not end there.

The team also is talking to the Reds about a trade for outfielder Wily Mo Pena, FOXSports.com has learned.
The Reds, in desperate need of starting pitching, could be targeting Red Sox right-hander Bronson Arroyo. One of their top scouts, Gene Bennett, watched Arroyo pitch against the Orioles on Sunday.

The Orioles, in need of a left fielder, are also among the teams pursuing Pena. The Cubs, too, are believed to have shown interest, but it is doubtful the Reds would trade Pena within their division. The Royals and Twins are among the other teams with possible interest.

Pena, 24, does not fit the Red Sox's typical offensive mold; his career on-base percentage is .303, and he has struck out 288 times and drawn only 54 walks in 898 lifetime plate appearances.

However, he has prodigious power, averaging one home run every 16.2 at-bats. He could serve as a backup for center fielder Coco Crisp — a position the Sox want to address — but is more suited for the corners.

Arroyo, 29, is the type of affordable pitcher that the Reds want to acquire — he is signed for $3.5 million this season, $3.8 million in 2007 and $3.95 million in '08. Pena will earn $1.25 million this season.

The Red Sox, however, also are shopping right-hander Matt Clement and left-hander David Wells; they offered Clement to the Phillies and several other clubs last week, and reportedly are discussing him in a possible deal for Pirates first baseman/outfielder Craig Wilson.

If Gonzalez makes the team, it is unclear what his role might be. David Ortiz is the Sox's full-time designated hitter and Trot Nixon their right fielder. It is possible the Sox will trade Nixon if they acquired Pena.

Gonzalez, 35, had only one at-bat last season with the Indians due to a strained right hamstring, and appeared in only 33 games with the Royals because of injuries in 2004.

Gonzalez, who has hit 434 career homers, did not make Puerto Rico's 30-man roster for the World Baseball Classic, but he has been working out with the intention of resuming his major-league career.[/quote]

[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5427236"]http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5427236[/url]

Guest bengalrick
both pitchers would help us more than wily mo can this year... we already have a guy that can hit a ball a mile, strikes out 200 times a year, and can't field...

be honest, what does this team need more right now: power or pitching?

case closed... make it happen....

from Lance's Blog

[quote]The Cincinnati Reds today acquired RHP Bronson Arroyo and cash from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for OF Wily Mo Pena.

Arroyo, 29, went 14-10 with a 4.51 ERA in 35 games (32 starts) for the Red Sox last season. He established career highs in wins (14), starts (32) and innings pitched (205.1) while producing a team-high 20 quality starts.

Arroyo has appeared in the postseason in each of the last three seasons, including as a member of the 2004 World Champion Boston Red Sox.

Originally selected by the Pirates in the third round of the June 1995 draft, Arroyo owns a career record of 33-33 with a 4.59 ERA in 126 games (90 starts) with Pittsburgh (2000-02) and Boston (2003-05).

Pena, 24, batted .248 with 51 HR and 134 RBI in 302 games with the Reds from 2002-05[/quote]

[quote name='bengalrick' post='235199' date='Mar 20 2006, 10:36 AM']both pitchers would help us more than wily mo can this year... we already have a guy that can hit a ball a mile, strikes out 200 times a year, and can't field...

be honest, what does this team need more right now: power or pitching?

case closed... make it happen....[/quote]

No arguement there, but I was hoping for better than Arroyo.

Guest oldschooler
So who is going to play Left field now ?

Ryan Freel was behind Pena on the depth chart...

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=cin"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...ex.jsp?c_id=cin[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='235229' date='Mar 20 2006, 11:15 AM']So who is going to play Left field now ?

Ryan Freel was behind Pena on the depth chart...

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=cin"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...ex.jsp?c_id=cin[/url][/quote]

Freel or Dunn, and Hatteberg to 1B.

oh well, its not that bad of a trade, but i was really hoping for more. i guess you have to start somewhere

of - dunn, griff, kearns... freel/denforia
1st - hatteberg... dunn
2nd - womack... aurilia/freel
ss - lopez
3rd - encarnacion... aurilia/freel
c - larue

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Good starting pitching is hard to come by and the Reds pulled off a deal that brought them a starting pitcher who helped win a World Series two years ago. Arroyo might not be the best pitcher in the majors but he's a upgrade and he will be the ace of the staff. With Griffey looking like it's '96 instead of 06' and Dunn improving the Reds have good power hitters, I believe it's better to have good starting pitching than hitting anyways.

Guest oldschooler
I really wanted to see what Pena could do while being
an everyday player.

And this Arroyo doesn`t really impress me.

Oh well... hopefully it all works out for the best...

Guest bengalrick
great trade...

pena was overrated b/c of his power, and arroya gives us something we need... he will help this team, more than wily mo could this year...

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='oldschooler' post='235228' date='Mar 20 2006, 11:13 AM'][quote name='BengalsOwn' post='235224' date='Mar 20 2006, 10:04 AM']
Horrible trade.[/quote]

Agreed. <_<
[/quote]

i agree 100%

it would have been nice to see what wily mo could do with an actual starting position and after his great winter ball, but i guess we can take another half ass SP instead....arroyo better become Roy fuckin Oswalt.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='235241' date='Mar 20 2006, 11:41 AM']great trade...

pena was overrated b/c of his power, and arroya gives us something we need... he will help this team, more than wily mo could this year...[/quote]

bengalrick here we go again...... :unsure:

I believe the fact the wily mo was overrated is the reason we could have gotten a lot more in a trade for him. Frankly Arroyo sucks. I would rather have had a top prospect pitcher then this guy. He is a #3 at best and i think this trade will come back to burn us in the future.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='bengalrick' post='235241' date='Mar 20 2006, 10:41 AM']great trade...

pena was overrated b/c of his power, and arroya gives us something we need... he will help this team, more than wily mo could this year...[/quote]

Ugggghhhh... how do you know if Pena was overrated or not ?
He never got a chance to play everyday... this year was supposed
to be his chance to show what he can do !

Anyway...this makes me feel a little better...

[quote][size=5][b]If you don't like the deal, you are not paying attention[/b][/size]
Reasons to like Bronson Arroyo
He's named after Charles Bronson :boring: :roll:
He's locked in financially for three years
'06 3.5 mill
'07 3.8 mill
'08 3.9 mill
Led Boston with 20 quality starts in 2005
Sox scored 18 total runs in his 9 losses.....scoring 1 run or less four times, 2 runs or less 7 times.
He left 5 starts in line for the win, and the bullpen could not hold it.
Opponents attempted ONLY 8 steals against him......succeeding on 5......in his career, teams have stolen just 20 of 33, 61%
He worked at least 6 innings in 25 of his 32 starts........7 innings or more in 15 starts
He walked two or fewer in 23 of his 32 starts....one or less in 19 starts..........none in 5 starts.[/quote]

Archived