Wily Mo to Boston?!

Palmer4HOF

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='bengalrick' post='236881' date='Mar 22 2006, 06:33 PM']imo, kearns trade value is very low right now... he has a knack for getting hurt, and has been sketchy... his glove is one of the best in the NL though... i'd say that griffey and dunn have the highest trade value, and can get us the most value... if anything else before the year starts, it will involve one of those two... of course, we might make some deals later... but we can afford to lose one of those two, and that is coming from a huge ken griffey jr fan... i still say we need another big arm, and i'll feel pretty decent about a harrang/arroya/? (hopefully an ace or a #2)

but kearns won't get us anything near a #1 or #2... we have to take the chance on him, and drive up his value... and then either trade him or keep him and solidify 1/3rd of the OF for a long time to come, offensively and defensively... i think kearns has mass potential...

i hate to talk about and see these guys go, but we have to face the facts and make some changes... our farm system blows, so we are going to have to fake it for about 3 or 4 years, it sounds like... we are all pretty shocked that guys like casey and pena aren't here any more, but i think those 2 pitchers could do well... we'll see, but both are definately proven pitchers, which is nice to have... one more guy, and clausson can go to the bullpin, and i'd be happy... or milton, if he still sucks...[/quote]

claussen has the talent to be a very good # 3 SP. He is inconsistent right now, but i have a ton of confidence in him. Basically if we can KEEP these guys around i see our rotation as Bailey, Harang, Claussen, Arroyo, ??? in a year or so. Bailey has the potential to be a # 1 and harang i feel is a solid # 2, claussen a good # 3 and arroyo a good # 4.

Kearns has bad trade value, but the Cubs really wanted him this year and were offering quite a bit but the reds dont want to move him (which pisses me off).

I am glad sean casey is gone because he wasnt worth half the money he was signed for. He was a bad defensive 1B with no power and hit into so many double plays it was ridiculous. Im glad he is gone, i hated him anyways. Pena i feel we should have kept and moved Kearns, Dunn or Griffey. I say griffey stays for ticket sales but id REALLY like to see him traded for youth cuz we dont need him nor should we really want him considering we need pitching. I feel it would have been smart to keep pena tho. I dont see Dunn or Griffey here in 2-3 years and then when they are both gone we have a massive hole in the middle of our lineup. We wont be able to just sign or trade for a bat to fill that spot. Kearns i view as a # 5 hitter at best if he could EVER stay healthy and quit being a pussy. I like Lopez as a # 2 hitter.

I still feel this team has 3 needs. Leadoff hitter (not freel), # 1 SP and a closer. I said b4 i dont like freel as a leadoff hitter or a starter really. Everyone wants to rip defense and Freels 2nd base defense is horrible. One thing freel doesnt do enough of is hit doubles. He is a singles hitter, i like my leadoff to have some gap power so he doesnt always have to try and steal 2nd base.

Oh well. who cares now.

Well guys, you can't always get what you want when you're a fan of a middle revenue team in a league with no salary cap provisions to tighten up parity.
Also, what many of you are forgetting is....HIGH CALIBER #1 SP's DON'T GROW ON TREES! Wily Mo wasn't worth more than someone like Arroyo!
How many Roger Clemens, Randy Johnsons, etc are out there?
Arroyo is a quality pitcher that we got in a fair trade. We traded proof for potential.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Bunghole' post='236912' date='Mar 22 2006, 07:34 PM']Well guys, you can't always get what you want when you're a fan of a middle revenue team in a league with no salary cap provisions to tighten up parity.
Also, what many of you are forgetting is....HIGH CALIBER #1 SP's DON'T GROW ON TREES! Wily Mo wasn't worth more than someone like Arroyo!
How many Roger Clemens, Randy Johnsons, etc are out there?
Arroyo is a quality pitcher that we got in a fair trade. We traded proof for potential.[/quote]

first of all arroyo isnt really proof, he has only had 2 seasons he ever pitched over 100 innings and he sucked fucking ass the 2nd half of last season.

randy johnson WAS a high caliber SP not now.

our division has a few of them: Sheets, Oswalt, Prior. We need to get a hold of one even if it cost quite a bit and our best chance is to do it with Adam Dunn and id take a legit SP over a guy who is HR or K and cant hit sac flies.

It has been said more than once by Krivsky himself that there is no ONE player on the Reds that will buy you a number one starter. You'd have to trade MULTIPLE players to get a number one. At that point, you've traded one strength to get another strength...all while gaining a brand new weakness! Since our team is never going to be a big spender, they're going to have to get better through smart trades (such as the Pena/Arroyo trade) and through devoloping talent.

Until Bill Gates buys the team and spends an assload of money on the payroll, it is what it is......a small market team with a limited payroll that can't afford to load up on proven talent. Otherwise, you better pray for a salary cap that will never happen.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='237075' date='Mar 23 2006, 03:18 AM']It has been said more than once by Krivsky himself that there is no ONE player on the Reds that will buy you a number one starter. You'd have to trade MULTIPLE players to get a number one. At that point, you've traded one strength to get another strength...all while gaining a brand new weakness! Since our team is never going to be a big spender, they're going to have to get better through smart trades (such as the Pena/Arroyo trade) and through devoloping talent.

[b]Until Bill Gates buys the team and spends an assload of money on the payroll, it is what it is......a small market team with a limited payroll that can't afford to load up on proven talent. Otherwise, you better pray for a salary cap that will never happen.[/b][/quote]

Billy......if your reading this PLEASE buy the Redlegs, I know you could do a better job then Steinbrener in New York.

[quote name='#22' post='235926' date='Mar 21 2006, 12:31 PM']I'd say this Arroyo trade just added another ten wins to the ballclub this year.
90 Games and a Wildcard appearance are not out of the question if noone gets hurt.

Griff will be a beast this year, mark my words.[/quote]

Marked.

Oh i agree dude...i'm working on my brand shiny new Griffey Sig.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Claptonrocks' post='237891' date='Mar 24 2006, 02:23 PM']The pitcher I see emerging from this pack of misfits is
Belisle......good stuff, groundball pitcher.....[/quote]

larue had some intersting comments about milton the other day: [url="http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/colleges/mercer/14170550.htm"]click here[/url]

[i]"Unbelievable," catcher Jason LaRue said. "That was the Eric Milton we all expect to have. It was an unbelievable performance. I saw it a few times last year.[/i]

hopefully milton can get over the hump this year....

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Arroyo to start second for Reds[/b][/size]
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, F LA . | When spring training began, the area of gravest concern was starting pitching. And while the wrinkled brows surrounding the Cincinnati Reds haven't been straightened, manager Jerry Narron feels better about it.

Why? The acquisition of Branson Arroyo this week and the near-perfect performance of much-maligned Eric Milton on Wednesday against the Minnesota Twins.

As of this moment, barring injuries or natural disasters, Narron has his rotation aligned this way: Right-hander Aaron Harang on Opening Day, right-hander Arroyo in Game 2, followed by left-handers Brandon Claussen, Milton and Dave Williams.

Harang is 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA in three starts, Claussen is 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA in four starts, Milton is 1-1 with a 7.94 ERA in two starts, Williams is 1-2 with a 7.20 in four starts and a relief appearance.

Arroyo makes his first Cincinnati start Saturday and was 1-2 with a 10.03 ERA in four starts for the Red Sox.[/quote]

• 1 month later...
Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='255705' date='Apr 26 2006, 05:30 PM']ahhh... it's feels good to be right....
:badger:[/quote]

LOL, hopefully u didnt jinx him.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='255736' date='Apr 26 2006, 06:44 PM']I dont care if he did... simply stated, i said this would help our team more than it hurt...[/quote]

im talkin about u jinxing arroyo lol.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='255739' date='Apr 26 2006, 06:47 PM']im talkin about u jinxing arroyo lol.[/quote]
i know... i didnt mean to say "he"...

I dont care if I jinxed him ... he has helped the team get better... like i predicted... while many were calling for the sky falling

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='255769' date='Apr 26 2006, 07:41 PM']i know... i didnt mean to say "he"...

I dont care if I jinxed him ... he has helped the team get better... like i predicted... while many were calling for the sky falling[/quote]

i never said arroyo would suck, i said we shoulda traded kearns instead of pena and i said Arroyo would be a solid SP for us, definitly didnt expect him to do what he is doing now, BUT i highly doubt he keeps it up at this pace, altho i would LOVE for him to prove me wrong.

[quote name='Storm' post='255772' date='Apr 26 2006, 07:45 PM']Palmer4HOF vs ThurmanMunster

Its on baby! :gayfight2:
I know you are but what am I?[/quote]

??? im confused cuz neither of us r fighting and really in agreement.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='235838' date='Mar 21 2006, 11:32 AM']Unless we trade him, he's under contract with us for the next 3 years. He'll be on the team. Potential has given the Reds the worst stretch of losing seasons in 50 years. I'm tired of only having power hitters with huge holes in their swings and zero pitching. This move not only doesn't affect our run producing totals (we still have plenty of power in this lineup), but improves the Reds defense in the OF (Dunn is light years better than Wily Mo in left) and at 1B (Hattaberg is better than Dunn there), and improves our baserunning...and more than likely our hitting (.248 for Wily Mo lifetime).
Wily Mo still can't hit any kind of off speed pitch...four years later.
Hey Chowd's, remember when the Reds played in Fenway last season? Remember when Wily Mo tried to track that ball down the right field line by the wall? Remember when he misplayed himself directly face first into the wall knocking the ball over the fence for a home run? Its that kind of devensive intensity you get with Wily Mo Pena...[/quote]

One of the more prophetic post I've ever made...

• 1 month later...
Guest bengalrick

[quote name='bengalrick' post='235199' date='Mar 20 2006, 11:35 AM']both pitchers would help us more than wily mo can this year... we already have a guy that can hit a ball a mile, strikes out 200 times a year, and can't field...

be honest, what does this team need more right now: power or pitching?

case closed... make it happen....[/quote]

:D

Archived