I have a hunch...

Palmer4HOF

[quote]Reds acquired catcher David Ross from the Padres for RHP Bobby Basham.
Not one of the teams that figured to be in the market for a backup catcher. Maybe the Reds wanted Ross with the idea that Javier Valentin could spend some time at first base. Ross has good power, which would serve him well at Great American, but he's not so productive that he'd be very useful as a pinch-hitter and he's below average defensively. It's unlikely that he'll have fantasy value. Mar. 21 - 1:40 pm et[/quote]

I have a hunch that Larue or Valentine would be traded. It doesn't make sense to grab this guy, who is out of options and would have to make a big league team. Also, Sarahina is our 3rd catcher, but he's out of options as well so he would have to make a big league team this year to avoid waivers as well. I wouldn't be surprised in the next few days if we see a Larue or Valentine trade for some prospects.

Guest ThurmanMunster
i pray larue is traded. he may be good defensively but he is horrid offensively and carries a pretty big price tag that he doesnt deserve.

atleast valentine did pretty good last year and is a good pinch hitter and backup 1B/C

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='BrassBengal' post='236929' date='Mar 22 2006, 08:08 PM']Larue should have been gone a few years ago......he makes too much[/quote]

and he cant pinch hit or play 1B like valentine

[quote name='Claptonrocks' post='237897' date='Mar 24 2006, 02:28 PM']there are rumors that larue and another player to the Dodgers for Penny.[/quote]

I would LOVE that

[quote]Jason LaRue - Catcher

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal believes the Reds are shopping Jason LaRue, who signed a two-year, $9.1 million contract in December.
They'd likely have better luck moving Javier Valentin if they want to break up the NL's most productive catching tandem from 2005. There aren't any teams looking for a starting catcher, especially not at that price. It's why Bengie Molina lasted so long as a free agent. Mar. 24 - 2:22 am et
Source: FOXSports.com[/quote]

I guess my "hunch" was right.... :ninja:

Say we did pick up Penny for Larue... what happens to our rotation? Does someone move to the bullpen?

You would think Arroyo and Harang are locks for the rotation... then if Milton performs, he's a lock to.

So if Penny comes, do you put Dave Williams or Claussen in the pen? My vote would be Williams...

Guest oldschooler
Quote from an article by Hal McCoy...

[quote][b]Too many catchers[/b]

The acquisition of catcher David Ross leaves the Reds' roster overstuffed with catchers — four on the 40-man roster — Jason LaRue, Javier Valentin, Dane Sardinha and Ross. And all four are out of options.

What's up with that?

"Two are on the team for sure (LaRue, Valentin)," said GM Krivsky. Before Wednesday's game, Narron said he was leaning toward keeping 12 pitchers, but Krivsky said, "We could go with 11. We could go with three catchers."

[b]That means they'd lose one for sure, probably Sardinha, the team's No. 2 draft choice in 2000.

Perhaps there is a trade in the wind? Krivsky smiled with a glint and said, "We'll see how it plays out."[/b][/quote]

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='237923' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:22 PM']Say we did pick up Penny for Larue... what happens to our rotation? Does someone move to the bullpen?

You would think Arroyo and Harang are locks for the rotation... then if Milton performs, he's a lock to.

So if Penny comes, do you put Dave Williams or Claussen in the pen? My vote would be Williams...[/quote]

these are finally good problems to have....

[quote name='bengalrick' post='237930' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:27 PM'][quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='237923' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:22 PM']
Say we did pick up Penny for Larue... what happens to our rotation? Does someone move to the bullpen?

So if Penny comes, do you put Dave Williams or Claussen in the pen? My vote would be Williams...[/quote]

[/quote]

true, but I would rather trade Larue for a closer

Guest Claptonrocks
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='237933' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:30 PM'][quote name='bengalrick' post='237930' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:27 PM']
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='237923' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:22 PM']

[/quote]

true, but I would rather trade Larue for a closer
[/quote]
rumors are just that.. maybe they are trying to get a closer type for larue

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='237933' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:30 PM'][quote name='bengalrick' post='237930' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:27 PM']

[/quote]
[b]
true, but I would rather trade Larue for a closer[/b]
[/quote]

why the fuck? we definitly need another SP badly and Penny would become our Ace. He isnt a Ben Sheets or Roy Oswalt, but he is a worthy ace and i could easily see us being able to win the central with him added to the staff. I see wagner as the future closer, our coaches can work out his minor issues and he is really young so they didnt want to make him a closer till he got experience and improved. He would be a studly closer for us and i coudl see him being the full time closer next season.

[quote name='dieselman44' post='238180' date='Mar 25 2006, 01:14 AM']Larue for Bronzabon, that guy on the dodgers that closed when Gagne got hurt.[/quote]

i heard they wanna move edwin jackson to a closer because of his problems when he gets deeper into games. if that is the case they may actually be willing to move gagne because jackson has amazing stuff, but really starts to lose it after 3 or 4 innings.

Guest bengalrick
thurman, wagner definately has the tools to be the closer... i hope he can get over the mental issues he seemed to have last year, b/c he can be dominate...

if we could pull of penny for larue (no way this is the only part of the deal, but anything close to this) and i would nut everywhere... we would seriously have a good pitching staff... harrang is a great #2, penny would fit in nicely as our ace, milton says he feels as good as 2003 and his injuries of the past 2 years are finally over, clausson continues to excell, williams could be a steady starter, and a healthy wilson could help this team out a bunch too... and arroya should do good here too...

that is 7 starters (6 right now) that are pretty good... we could put together a nice rotation w/ those guys, and beef up our bullpen at the same time...

if we can pull of a penny-type of player, i would start to become truely optimistic about this team...

w/ that lineup, we don't need 5 cy young winners....

Guest CrazyIrishman5
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='237923' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:22 PM']Say we did pick up Penny for Larue... what happens to our rotation? Does someone move to the bullpen?

With the way Claussen has pitched this spring, there is no way he go's to the pen!
This spring 2.25 ERA, 16 inning pitched and 12 SO!

[quote name='CrazyIrishman5' post='238563' date='Mar 26 2006, 12:22 AM'][quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='237923' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:22 PM']

With the way Claussen has pitched this spring, there is no way he go's to the pen!
[/quote]

agreed, which is why i voted williams :badger:

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='CrazyIrishman5' post='238563' date='Mar 26 2006, 12:22 AM'][quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='237923' date='Mar 24 2006, 03:22 PM']

[/quote]

Don't worry...someone will get hurt...

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Master Shake' post='238658' date='Mar 26 2006, 11:00 AM'][quote name='CrazyIrishman5' post='238563' date='Mar 26 2006, 12:22 AM']

[/quote]

Don't worry...someone will get hurt...
[/quote]

hopefully wilson, but claussen is a SP for good on this team anyways

Archived