"No Child Left Behind" = Forcing Schools To Cut Subjects Beyond Reading and Math ...

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='239161' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:16 PM']Im friends with several teachers, all have said a huge part of this problem of education is that parents dont get involved with them at home.[/quote]

[b]exactly ....

a major problem with kids in America is not the fact that they don't have vouchers to go to a different school .... it is the fact that they

1. Have one parent who is busy working and thus can't provide proper guidance, supervision, tutelage
2. Have one parent that is a junkie or just plain Loser
3. Have 2 parents that are both junkies or just worthless
4. live in an environment that doesn't promote learning which brands serious students as sell outs or pussies
5. Are not inspired and made to believe as kids that they too can be doctors and lawyers by anyone in their family, community
6. Are raised by a television set watching bullshit programming all day [/b]

[i]* But then again many of these kids are just as smart as Uncle Sam wants them to be [/i]

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='239161' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:16 PM']Im friends with several teachers, all have said a huge part of this problem of education is that parents dont get involved with them at home.[/quote]

no offense to your friends, but this seems like a cop out to me... of course the parents are at fault to a major extent, but the teachers are getting paid to teach the kids... if they can't do it, they blame it on parents...

i blame students w/ disipline problems on the parents to a certain extent... the rest of them are not being taught the right way of thinking... like sis said, i spent my 12 years and a few extra years in college, simply memorizing the answers, and what good does that do for you... i don't remember any of that shit anymore... the key to learning is understanding how it works, that way you don't have to memorize terms and definitions, b/c you can just think about how it works, and solve it from there..

i personally think the problems are all of the above: 1. the system in general doesn't enforce getting better teachers, more money for them, more competition between schools, etc. 2. the parents 3. the teachers for not doing their job...

this isn't true of all parents or all teachers, but it is true 100% of the time for our school system....

Guest bengalrick
to simply blame it on the parents, then you are saying that:

a. the students are doomed if your parents are losers
b. the students are doomed if your parents live in a lower class neighborhood
c. the students are doomed if you have no money...

this might be the way it seems like it it, it doesn't have to be.....

[quote name='bengalrick' post='239178' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:47 PM']to simply blame it on the parents, then you are saying that:

a. the students are doomed if your parents are losers
b. the students are doomed if your parents live in a lower class neighborhood
c. the students are doomed if you have no money...

this might be the way it seems like it it, it doesn't have to be.....[/quote]

a. Students are doomed if parents are losers...AND if they dont have a teacher that give a crap..but if its only parents being losers, its a huge uphill battle for the student.
b. refer to a
c. refer to a again

[quote].... And the subject I think America sucks at the most = Geography ... I think should be mandatory to all Americans .... (most of which can't find China on a World map).[/quote]

My Ninth Graders current progress Report:

[u]Course[/u] [u]Grade[/u]

Earth science A

English 9 B

German II B

[u]World Geography [b]C[/b][/u]

Health/PE A

Intro to Algebra I B

Geography coupled with History were my favorite subjects.

You all can see now why I joined the Navy :D

The bottom line for mine to me is that there are no excuses. They have been provided with so much resource material: Encyclopedia's, books, the Internet. Thekey is to get them to exercise these availabilities.

:rant: WE DIDN'T HAVE THESE (other than books) WHEN I WAS GROWING UP. :)

[quote name='Lawman' post='239192' date='Mar 27 2006, 02:08 PM']The bottom line for mine to me is that there are no excuses. They have been provided with so much resource material: Encyclopedia's, books, the Internet. Thekey is to get them to exercise these availabilities.

:rant: WE DIDN'T HAVE THESE (other than books) WHEN I WAS GROWING UP. :)[/quote]

Right but if your poor, where do you get the money for these matrials. Yes anyone can go to the public library but only if you have money for the transportation. And only if you have parents who will allow you to do that. You can also stay after school and use the school library but again if you are poor you most likely go to a school that is poor and cant afford the latest and greatest materials. And again only if your parents allow you to stay after school. Im not saying its impossible because clearly its not and there are many examples of poor climbing out and taking advantage of the things they do have to change their perdicment. But it is a much harder and uphill battle than if your not poor.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='239197' date='Mar 27 2006, 02:14 PM'][quote name='Lawman' post='239192' date='Mar 27 2006, 02:08 PM']
The bottom line for mine to me is that there are no excuses. They have been provided with so much resource material: Encyclopedia's, books, the Internet. Thekey is to get them to exercise these availabilities.

:rant: WE DIDN'T HAVE THESE (other than books) WHEN I WAS GROWING UP. :)[/quote]

Right but if your poor, where do you get the money for these matrials. Yes anyone can go to the public library but only if you have money for the transportation. And only if you have parents who will allow you to do that. You can also stay after school and use the school library but again if you are poor you most likely go to a school that is poor and cant afford the latest and greatest materials. And again only if your parents allow you to stay after school. Im not saying its impossible because clearly its not and there are many examples of poor climbing out and taking advantage of the things they do have to change their perdicment. But it is a much harder and uphill battle than if your not poor.
[/quote]

Jamie,
Sorry, I should have emphasized.
[b]The bottom line for mine [/b]

[quote name='Lawman' post='239208' date='Mar 27 2006, 02:25 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='239197' date='Mar 27 2006, 02:14 PM']
[quote name='Lawman' post='239192' date='Mar 27 2006, 02:08 PM']

[/quote]

Jamie,
Sorry, I should have emphasized.
[b]The bottom line for mine [/b]
[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='239182' date='Mar 27 2006, 01:50 PM']Rick, Parents have to be involved..there is no cop out in saying that.[/quote]

jamie, you know me man pretty well by now... you know that i feel strongly about the parents being invovled...

however, it is inevidable that there are some parents that are not quite up to the standards... and it shouldn't be the kids fault, if this is the case...

so at the same time as we promote the nuclear family, we have to figure out a way to give every kid an equal opportunity, that isn't based on how much money your parents have...

the problems w/ our schools are many... and parents are certainly on that list, and probably close to the top... however, how exactly do you fix that problem?

and go a little further w/ it.... the parents main job is to make sure their kid got their homework done... what good is that really, if your kid is the smartest kid in the dumbest country?

do you see what i'm saying? our standards are too low...

Archived