UC Basketball

Guest BengalLady

Oh, and UC ALWAYS crumbles...especially come tournament time.

When's the last time they won an NCAA championship?

I can't remember either, although I suspect it was when one-kidney boy Oscar was on their squad...

That was a LONG time ago...

I am being mean, I'm sorry... :(

I just love talking shit come NCAA basketball time...

I don't hate UC, I just like to prod UC fans into UK-UC combats.

My bad... :(

Don't hate me because you're beautiful!! :)

Guest Bengal_Smoov

My only beef with UC is there non-conference schedule, I think Moeller plays a tougher one than UC. That is why they always get thier butts kicked in the tourney, because they aren't prepared. Conference USA isn't good enough to prepare a team to win it all and their non-conference schedule is never challenging enough to make the team battle tested. Playing Dayton and Xavier every year is good for the local fans, but a game against the best in the NCAA would help them more in the long run. If UC wants to be known as one the best college basketball programs around they have to play the best teams.

A 30 win season playing in Conference USA and very weak non-conference schedule is very misleading and explains why UC folds like a cheap tent on a wind day during the tourney every year, regardless of their ranking. Going into the Big East will help because they will be in best conference in college basketball, but Huggins is going to have to step it up a notch.

Guest BengalLady
Oh, and UC ALWAYS crumbles...especially come tournament time.

When's the last time they won an NCAA championship?

I can't remember either, although I suspect it was when one-kidney boy Oscar was on their squad...

That was a LONG time ago...

I am being mean, I'm sorry... :(

I just love talking shit come NCAA basketball time...

I don't hate UC, I just like to prod UC fans into UK-UC combats.

My bad... :(

Don't hate me because you're beautiful!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: You are right. They start out strong and then I don't know what happens. They all must start drinking or something. It is very frustrating.

But at the moment I will enjoy the glory of them being 5-0.

Jihad Muhammad is so amazing to watch. Wow.

Guest BengalLady
My only beef with UC is there non-conference schedule, I think Moeller plays a tougher one than UC.  That is why they always get thier butts kicked in the tourney, because they aren't prepared.  Conference USA isn't good enough to prepare a team to win it all and their non-conference schedule is never challenging enough to make the team battle tested.  Playing Dayton and Xavier every year is good for the local fans, but a game against the best in the NCAA would help them more in the long run.  If UC wants to be known as one the best college basketball programs around they have to play the best teams. 

A 30 win season playing in Conference USA and very weak non-conference schedule is very misleading and explains why UC folds like a cheap tent on a wind day during the tourney every year, regardless of their ranking.  Going into the Big East will help because they will be in best conference in college basketball, but Huggins is going to have to step it up a notch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That makes sense. I hope this year it is different!!!!

Guest Bengal_Smoov
I can't believe that guys name is "Jihad"!

Given today's current climate, I don't know that I'd want that name...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking that too, I would have my friends call me J or a nickname. Imagine if Cincy makes it deep in the tourney and the annoucer calling the game says, "bring up the ball for the Bearcats, Jihad Muhammad" :unsure:

Actually the first of 2 consecutive UC National Championships came the year after the greatest basketball player ever at any level (Oscar) left the school. And I truly believe they would have won in 2000 had Kenyon not broken his leg.

As for their conference schedule, they have some tough games and some easy games just like everyone else. Louisville is a very good team this year. UNC Charlotte is usually a tournament team.

This is not their year. Not enough height or depth. But they will do a lot better than most people expect.

Oh, and they play Illinois this year. Hardly a patsy. They usually play a few gimmies, and a few tough ones non-conference. Anyone who knocks the schedule they play obviously hasn't paid attention.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Actually the first of 2 consecutive UC National Championships came the year after the greatest basketball player ever at any level (Oscar) left the school.  And I truly believe they would have won in 2000 had Kenyon not broken his leg.

As for their conference schedule, they have some tough games and some easy games just like everyone else.  Louisville is a very good team this year.  UNC Charlotte is usually a tournament team.

This is not their year.  Not enough height or depth.  But they will do a lot better than most people expect.

Oh, and they play Illinois this year.  Hardly a patsy.  They usually play a few gimmies, and a few tough ones non-conference.  Anyone who knocks the schedule they play obviously hasn't paid attention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you need to pay attention, Illinois is the only ranked non-conference opponent on their schedule. Teams like Longwood(are they even a D1 school??), Jackson St., LaSalle, and Northwestern St. don't exactlly get you ready to play in March. Huggins gets 30 wins a season, but against teams like Jackson St. and Longwood it looks less impressive.

UC's Schedule

Guest bengalrick
Maybe you need to pay attention, Illinois is the only ranked non-conference opponent on their schedule.  Teams like Longwood(are they even a D1 school??), Jackson St., LaSalle, and Northwestern St. don't exactlly get you ready to play in March.  Huggins gets 30 wins a season, but against teams like Jackson St. and Longwood it looks less impressive. 

UC's Schedule

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

uc is undefeated, but any loss besides to illionois, and they drop WAY out of the top 25... no offense uc fans, but wait until next year to get repect around the country... you just don't play anyone...

Guest Bengal_Smoov
uc is undefeated, but any loss besides to illionois, and they drop WAY out of the top 25... no offense uc fans, but wait until next year to get repect around the country... you just don't play anyone...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like UC, I watch them whenever I can, but they don't play enough tough games. Teams like Indiana have already played more tough games in the first few weeks of the season then UC will play all season. Since UC wants to thought of as a dominate force in college basketball they should play all of the good local teams every year. Think about how sweet it would be to see UC play UK, IU, and Michigan etc.. every year, they should prove whose the best by playing each other every year.

Maybe you need to pay attention, Illinois is the only ranked non-conference opponent on their schedule.

Uh, Wake Forrest???

And I was speaking in general terms, not necessarily this year. Also schedules are usually done a year or 2 in advance and it is not always easy to pick who will be good and who won't 2 years in advance.

Add to that there are non-conference rivalry games they play regularly, Xavier, Dayton (who was ranked last year), Miami of Ohio among others.

I agree that I think UC would have killed anyone in Kenyons senior year, then he broke his leg, and we all know what happened. I am a big UC fan, but even a homer knows they play a soft schedule every year, and that is why they crumble come march. I am pretty fucking pumped for them to go to the Big East, no more of this pussyfooting around with high school teams....... We need a true center badly though.....

That Kenyon Martin excuse is EXACTLY the reason why I don't understand you UC fans.

You placed your whole season on one man's shoulders and when he went down...you allowed it to demoralize you.

Kenyon was very good but UC wasn't going to win the championship that year anyway!

UC that year was UBER one-dimensional, ie, if we can't pound it in to our big guy, what do we do now???

Doesn't sound very much like TEAM play to me...

If ONE GUY is your team, then you're basically fucked from the get go...

That Kenyon Martin excuse is EXACTLY the reason why I don't understand you UC fans.

You placed your whole season on one man's shoulders and when he went down...you allowed it to demoralize you.

Kenyon was very good but UC wasn't going to win the championship that year anyway!

UC that year was UBER one-dimensional, ie, if we can't pound it in to our big guy, what do we do now???

Doesn't sound very much like TEAM play to me...

If ONE GUY is your team, then you're basically fucked from the get go...

PUH-LEASE

Kenyon was not our only option that year. And at season's start he wasn't even considered the first option. We had Pete Mikhael, DeMarr Johnson, Steve Logan, Kenny Satterfeld, and Leonard Stokes. But when you lose your best player, Senior leader, and hear and soul, it changes your team chemistry. If Kenyon had not gotten hurt, we would have won it all that year. He was the single most dominant player in the game that year.

One more thing. If they had lost Kenyon in February instead of mid-March, and had time to adjust and get over the emotional blow of losing the best player in the country and their leader, I think that team could have been an Elite 8 team.

It wasn't JUST losing him, it was WHEN they lost him.

Good teams adjust to those types of circumstances and continue to win.

The fact is that Huggins failed to motivate them to do so.

The supporting cast that year just wasn't that strong.

Would Syrause have won the championship a couple years ago if Carmelo had broken his neck right before the tournament?

Anyway, we're dwelling on what could have, should have been, etc.

What do you think of UC's chances to go deep into the tournament this year?

They seem a little lacking in size but maybe their athleticism and Drunky Bear's defense can compensate.

The couple games I watched them, they looked pretty good, but they were also playing teams like Austin Peay A&M Tech School For The Gifted Blind, or something.

When do they play Illinois? I would like to see that game...UC really must be chomping at the bit to avenge last year's tournament drubbing...they got rolled last year..it was ugly...

Last on the 2000 team. They did have a good supporting cast. Pete Mikael was a good perimeter defender, and was expected to be the #1 scoring option that year. Fletch and Tate at PF were a great combination. No, not NBA great, but they didn't need to be. Sattereld was a McD's All American and DeMarr Johnson was the Parade HS player of the year. Steve Logan was also on that team and Leonard Stokes was Mr New York (ahead of Satterfield). As I said before, had they lost Kenyon earlier in the year, and had time to adapt, they could have been an Elite 8 team (or better). But when and how they lost him was just too big of a blow.

Moving on....

This year?

Honestly, this year I expect a 2 and out. But they seem to do the best when the least is expected of them. Yes, they have a lot of athleticism, and should have a good perimeter game. But the lack of size and front court depth will hurt them. Had Whaley stuck around, and developed as most people expected, I would expect a LOT from this team. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

I will say this, Armien Kirkland is going to be a stud. A 6'8" shooting guard who can handle the ball. And he's just a Junior. Gotta love that. And they have a good big man in the recruiting class. They should be a very good team next season.

Guest bengalrick

that mohammed (sp?) at point is impressive... i can't stand uc, so for me to say that is like jason to say rondo (for uk) is the man... i will gain respect next year if they do good in the big east..

that mohammed (sp?) at point is impressive... i can't stand uc, so for me to say that is like jason to say rondo (for uk) is the man... i will gain respect next year if they do good in the big east..

I don't have any problem recognizing other great players. Thing is, I can't sit for 2 hours and watch if it is not UC. (Same is true for Baseball and the Reds, and to some degree with football.) I get bored to quickly. It's bad enough I have to watch Duke games (my fiance is a HUGE Duke fan). So I have no idea how good Rondo is.

And I will say this. I could root for Kentucky (root for, I will always and only be a UC fan in hoops) were it not for the majority of UK fans I have known. UK is a great, clean program with good kids. If the UK fans I have known would simply give due respect to other programs, I would have no problem with them at all.

Guest bengalrick
I don't have any problem recognizing other great players.  Thing is, I can't sit for 2 hours and watch if it is not UC.  (Same is true for Baseball and the Reds, and to some degree with football.)  I get bored to quickly.  It's bad enough I have to watch Duke games (my fiance is a HUGE Duke fan).  So I have no idea how good Rondo is.

And I will say this.  I could root for Kentucky (root for, I will always and only be a UC fan in hoops) were it not for the majority of UK fans I have known.  UK is a great, clean program with good kids.  If the UK fans I have known would simply give due respect to other programs, I would have no problem with them at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

we should at least be growing on you man :D

i was brainwashed from day 1 to hate the bearcats, and to be honest, i don't know why... i've came a long way...

i can watch any baseball, anytime... don't know why but it brings back good memories... nothing beats marty and joe though... steve still has to grow on me...

Archived