Mac now running windows

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Ben' post='249402' date='Apr 14 2006, 01:49 PM']I really dont understand this feeling of superiority mac users feel. Use whatever the fuck you want. I cant personally see a reason for me to switch to mac. I would probably switch to Linux first(osX is basically linux w/ a better gui)
[img]http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/2251/macasshole7gm.gif[/img][/quote]

No offense, but the superiority complex being exhibited here comes from the Windows heads.

So.. i'm on ebay looking at mac mini right now. IF i can get one on the cheap, i'll try it out. Not sure what i will do w/ it, other than browse the web. Would need to buy a switch too... no room on my desk for another monitor :( ( currently have 20" wid").

Can some of you mac guru's pm me so i can ask questions. Specs are a little different on macs and i'm not sure what you really "need" for osX and apps to run well. Or what decent prices are.

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='249398' date='Apr 14 2006, 01:46 PM']I also forgot. Protools in industry standard for music editing... Runs on both.
Keep trying Macboys, your fighting a losing battle. But he enjoy your 6%. ;)[/quote]

I'm no Macboy, just someone bright enough to understand both have strengths and weaknesses. You keep mentioning software that runs on both systems. It certainly doesn't mean the programs run the same on both systems. Adobe programs run on both systems, but run better on Mac. Doom 3 runs on both systems, but runs better on a PC.

You all seem to be bashing on Mac people for a perceived superiority complex, but arrogantly assert Windows does absolutely everything better. You are the people you are making fun of.

I dont deny that I have a bias as Im Microsoft certified. However Mac people always make the claim that their machine is better and you should switch. However when asked why they are better, they always come up with reasons that are either not true (stability) or years old and not true any more (better for print, graphics, video, ect)

I've not met one Mac guy that could give me a educated good reason to switch.

[quote name='mongoloido' post='249478' date='Apr 14 2006, 02:55 PM']I'm no Macboy, just someone bright enough to understand both have strengths and weaknesses. You keep mentioning software that runs on both systems. It certainly doesn't mean the programs run the same on both systems. Adobe programs run on both systems, but run better on Mac. Doom 3 runs on both systems, but runs better on a PC.

You all seem to be bashing on Mac people for a perceived superiority complex, but arrogantly assert Windows does absolutely everything better. You are the people you are making fun of.[/quote]

Negitive. All the Adobe products are native and are not ports, this may have been true when they first started moving their stuff to Windows, but not anymore. The products work the same on either machine.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='249482' date='Apr 14 2006, 02:58 PM']I dont deny that I have a bias as Im Microsoft certified. However Mac people always make the claim that their machine is better and you should switch. However when asked why they are better, they always come up with reasons that are either not true (stability) or years old and not true any more (better for print, graphics, video, ect)

I've not met one Mac guy that could give me a educated good reason to switch.[/quote]

The apple guy an compusa started spitting when he talked and going really fast. When i told him i dont have problems w/ viruses/spyware and i can use a digital camera on my pc.

I was really hoping he would actually show me some cool stuff. He was kinda scary though. He had long hair in a pony tail and a button up shirt, unbuttoned waaaay to much.

The 30" display was pretty sweet though. I think dell offers one now though(and a hell of a lot cheaper). I know my 20" dell was much cheaper than its apple cousin

[quote name='mongoloido' post='249467' date='Apr 14 2006, 12:46 PM']it's a hack job, with hacks to patch the hacks. it's a whole heaping mess, that requires very specific components to work at all. a solution that only partially works under very specific conditions is not the same.[/quote]

Like I said, its happening and the amount of machines it runs on increases everyday. It may take a little longer since you don't have a company with a financial interest in doing it. Dell, IBM, HP, or whoever couldn't give a shit whether the Mac OS will run on their machines. There is no financial benifit to them. A Mac running windows is a very specific situation with very specific hardware and this [b]is[/b] a very specific condition. IT IS HAPPENING. Getting OSX running on ALL pc's is not equal to A Mac running windows. It will take longer.

Microsoft is the one getting the benefit from this. A Mac will simply become any other computer that runs windows.

[quote name='Ben' post='249485' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:01 PM']The apple guy an compusa started spitting when he talked and going really fast. When i told him i dont have problems w/ viruses/spyware and i can use a digital camera on my pc.

I was really hoping he would actually show me some cool stuff. He was kinda scary though. He had long hair in a pony tail and a button up shirt, unbuttoned waaaay to much.

The 30" display was pretty sweet though. I think dell offers one now though(and a hell of a lot cheaper). I know my 20" dell was much cheaper than its apple cousin[/quote]

And thats all Im saying, if your going to make the argument to switch give me good educated reasons that have truth to them, Ive never met one Mac guy that could do that.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='249487' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:01 PM']Like I said, its happening and the amount of machines it runs on increases everyday. It may take a little longer since you don't have a company with a financial interest in doing it. Dell, IBM, HP, or whoever couldn't give a shit whether the Mac OS will run on their machines. There is no financial benifit to them. A Mac running windows is a very specific situation with very specific hardware and this [b]is[/b] a very specific condition. IT IS HAPPENING. Getting OSX running on ALL pc's is not equal to all a mac A Mac. It will take longer.

Microsoft is the one getting the benefit from this. A Mac will simply become any other computer that runs windows.[/quote]

I really do not think apple has any interest in making osX run on non-apple machines. They then get into the nightmare microsoft devs deal w/. Supporting 1000's of different hardware configs and 3rd party drivers.

[quote name='Ben' post='249491' date='Apr 14 2006, 01:03 PM']I really do not think apple has any interest in making osX run on non-apple machines. They then get into the nightmare microsoft devs deal w/. Supporting 1000's of different hardware configs and 3rd party drivers.[/quote]

Of course they don't. Financially it would hurt the small hardware market they do have.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='249493' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:04 PM']I would never say that microsoft is perfect..far from it...I'm actually hoping that linux makes greater gains in the market, but I don't think they are there quite yet.[/quote]

I can agree with this (except the hope for linux part). MS usually takes a few versions to get somthing right when entering a new market. The 1st IE sucked in comparison to Netscape, Word wasnt as good as Wordperfect and so on and so on. But when they decide its a market worth investing in they always get it right in subsequent releases.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='249487' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:01 PM']Like I said, its happening and the amount of machines it runs on increases everyday. It may take a little longer since you don't have a company with a financial interest in doing it. Dell, IBM, HP, or whoever couldn't give a shit whether the Mac OS will run on their machines. There is no financial benifit to them. A Mac running windows is a very specific situation with very specific hardware and this [b]is[/b] a very specific condition. IT IS HAPPENING. Getting OSX running on ALL pc's is not equal to A Mac running windows. It will take longer.

Microsoft is the one getting the benefit from this. A Mac will simply become any other computer that runs windows.[/quote]

It won't happen. OSX is designed to run on specific hardware. Windows is designed to run on lots of different hardware. All intel OSX machines will run Windows. No AMD Windows machines will run OSX, and only a very select few Intel Windows machines will run OSX.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='249498' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:08 PM']I can agree with this (except the hope for linux part). MS usually takes a few versions to get somthing right when entering a new market. The 1st IE sucked in comparison to Netscape, Word wasnt as good as Wordperfect and so on and so on. But when they decide its a market worth investing in they always get it right in subsequent releases.[/quote]

Windows 2003 is pretty solid.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='249490' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:03 PM']And thats all Im saying, if your going to make the argument to switch give me good educated reasons that have truth to them, Ive never met one Mac guy that could do that.[/quote]

I'm not making the argument to switch. I'm saying there's a compelling argument to have both. This move is designed for the casual computer person to have the best of both worlds. Boot into Windows, and play Oblivion. Boot into OSX and iLife to your little media heart's desire. The move isn't designed to get you to switch. It's designed to give your sister/mother/father/brother a choice.

[quote name='mongoloido' post='249517' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:29 PM']I'm not making the argument to switch. I'm saying there's a compelling argument to have both. This move is designed for the casual computer person to have the best of both worlds. Boot into Windows, and play Oblivion. Boot into OSX and iLife to your little media heart's desire. The move isn't designed to get you to switch. It's designed to give your sister/mother/father/brother a choice.[/quote]

But what if I can do everything iLife can do with some other PC program? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img]

[quote name='mongoloido' post='249502' date='Apr 14 2006, 01:13 PM']It won't happen. OSX is designed to run on specific hardware. Windows is designed to run on lots of different hardware. All intel OSX machines will run Windows. No AMD Windows machines will run OSX, and only a very select few Intel Windows machines will run OSX.[/quote]

It will happen because hackers will make it happen. Some guy will spend [b]waaay [/b] to much time and will be bound and determined to make it work. That is the reason projects like this started in the first place. Putting an intel chip in Macs is really going to open up all kinds of issues. I'm not saying MacOSx will work perfectly, and quite honestly I don't care. But to say it won't happen is kind of short sighted because hackers are going to do what they can to get it to work...it is a challenge for them.

I prefer the Microsoft OS and I'll stick with it. Would I run Windows on a Mac if someone [b]gave[/b] me a mac?...probably.

I'm not saying that Macs suck or that PC's are better. I can use either one regardless of what operating system is on them. There is a sense from many mac users (that I know) of elitism and that does get tiring. I don't care if anyone uses a Mac, whatever works for them works for them....I do hate the attitude that often comes with it. In trying to show that "Macs are better", Mac users often confuse operating systems with hardware. What many of these users don't actually like is windows. The way Apple has defined itself traditionally is the good guy compared to Microsoft and IBM.

Now people are very excited that windows runs on Macs. It seems kind of strange that Mac users are so excited about windows at this point? Isn't Bill Gates supposed to be the Devil after all? Isn't the old arguement something like: windows is a MacOS ripoff? Shouldn't Mac users be more up in arms about Microsoft products on their machines? With Windows running on Macs it is highly likely that they will simply be another machine running windows. Why use a OS that only works on one machine when you can use an OS that works on most machines? If most of the software out there is designed with windows in mind..then many people are going to stick with windows and that may mean replacing the Mac OS on Mac machines.

Personally like being able to configure my machine any way that I want, and I don't want to pay out the nose for it. I would also like to refer back to one of the orignal statements in this thread and say that Macs will not take over the market. If Apple wanted to try to make a run at the software market, then maybe they should be targeting more machines for the Mac OS.

I don't see it happening and I think the only viable alternative (maybe years away) is going to be one of the flavors of Linux, but Linux still isn't friendly enough for most Mac and Windows users.

[quote name='mongoloido' post='249517' date='Apr 14 2006, 01:29 PM']I'm not making the argument to switch. I'm saying there's a compelling argument to have both. This move is designed for the casual computer person to have the best of both worlds. Boot into Windows, and play Oblivion. Boot into OSX and iLife to your little media heart's desire. The move isn't designed to get you to switch. It's designed to give your sister/mother/father/brother a choice.[/quote]

Switch OS or hardware? Are you saying that windows on a mac is a better choice, or that the mac machine is a better choice?

[quote name='Ben' post='249533' date='Apr 14 2006, 01:46 PM']Jeez... I offered to join the mac club, but none of our macboys is offering their services. :( i feel so lonely[/quote]

I would love to try a mac with windows on it...I just don't want to fork out the dough. I'm also interested to see what kind of features that vista has...I'm wondering if they [i]borrowed[/i] anything from OSX. Anybody know?

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='249538' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:49 PM']I would love to try a mac with windows on it...I just don't want to fork out the dough. I'm also interested to see what kind of features that vista has...I'm wondering if they [i]borrowed[/i] anything from OSX. Anybody know?[/quote]

Yeah. I saw a video from a vista presentation, where someone did the same thing in osx on the left side of the video, as the ms rep ws doing on the right side.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='249538' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:49 PM']I would love to try a mac with windows on it...I just don't want to fork out the dough. I'm also interested to see what kind of features that vista has...I'm wondering if they [i]borrowed[/i] anything from OSX. Anybody know?[/quote]

[url="http://news.com.com/Piecing+together+Windows+Vista/2009-1016_3-6050105.html?tag=nefd.lede"]http://news.com.com/Piecing+together+Windo...l?tag=nefd.lede[/url]

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='249535' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:47 PM']Switch OS or hardware? Are you saying that windows on a mac is a better choice, or that the mac machine is a better choice?[/quote]

As stated: I'm not telling anyone to switch to anything. I'm merely saying that the new Macs have removed the limited software stigma from the purchasing equation. Buyers can now choose their computer on what suits their tastes, not just which system offers the biggest pile of software options.

You can download vista beta...

hxxp://ts.searching.com/torrent/644529/Microsoft_Windows_Vista_32Bit_Build_5342_DVD_WinBeta_TeamExtream

I installed it on an extra HD and it's been working pretty decently, the install was easy. I have an older build, I havent figuered out (or found vista drivers) how to get sound to work yet and IE 7 is a bit sluggish but everything else so far seems pretty nice, only been with it a couple days. I'm not a regular mac user, but the look of the icons, menus and how they fade in and out reminded me of mac's os.

Anyone use the boot camp yet to install xp on a mac without any hardware/driver problems? Tried it today with a friends macbook and everything seemed ok except for bluetooth, tried to get bluetooth working and then the ethernet and wireless stopped working. doh :blink:

Archived