* Cafu (Captain) (A.C. Milan)
* Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid)
* Lúcio (Bayern Munich)
* Juan (Bayer Leverkusen)
* Cicinho (Real Madrid)
* Luisão (Benfica)
* Cris (Lyon)

MIDFIELDERS
* Emerson (Vice-Captain) (Juventus F.C.)
* Zé Roberto (Bayern Munich)
* Gilberto Silva (Arsenal F.C.)
* Edmílson (Barcelona)
* Juninho (Lyon)
* Kaká (A.C. Milan)
* Ricardinho (Corinthians)
* Ronaldinho (Barcelona)

FOWARDS
* Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
* Adriano (Internazionale)
* Robinho (Real Madrid)
* Fred (Lyon)

No place for Julio Baptista! Or Serginho. And most likely Ronaldo comes off the bench as a substitute. Sick, sick team.

In a way they remind me of the Bengals this past season..they will score on anyone, but that defence seems porous. Their centre-backs are decent, but Cicinho is horrible. (defensively) he's basically a winger. Roberto Carlos is still the goods going forward, but even worse defensively.

Will watch at work. But this weekend I flew to Cardiff to watch the FA CUP Final. Got back last night. Cost me an arm and a leg (the FA Cup Final ticket) but since it was West Ham's first final in 26 years, I thought it was an opportunity not to miss. Just as like if i was in Europe i would fly to the States WHEN the Bengals make the superbowl in the next 3 years.

Sadly my beloved Hammers lost on penalties in what might have been the greatest FA Cup final ever.

Agree Barca should have the edge tomorrow. Although Messi's health will be a big factor. Barca at full strength with Deco / Ronaldinho / Messi and Samuel Eto running rampage up front are scary!

:D Soccer fans.

I will always support my country...but my favorite player plays for Brazil so they are my second team. I have always admired Ronaldinho ever since i got into soccer. I just recently started playing in my freshman year and grabbed my varsity letter..i was more of a athletic project then complete player. But Ronaldinho has always amazed me and i always play fifa 2006 with Brazil just so i can use Dinho and ronaldo. I cannot wait for this to start.

But overall i think Brazil will win...they are so quick and so many good players.

Edit: they just showed a pretty sweet thing on ESPN about Ronaldinho. Speaking of the devil.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='269064' date='May 16 2006, 08:05 PM']lol @ the guy whose name is simply "Fred"[/quote]

His full name is Frederico Guaves Cheves. But the Brazilians all take the one name nickname. But yeah, "Fred" is a great nickname

[quote name='Johnsons4Life' post='269034' date='May 16 2006, 06:50 PM']Isn't the USA in the hardest block?? Although i heard that we are ranked #4 this year. The highest ever.[/quote]

With all due respect to the US and the huge strides they have made in men's world soccer since 1990, that ranking is a joke. One of the main drawbacks in the FIFA rankings is that it doesn't take into account, "strength of schedule" So for teams like Mexico and USA who consistently pound CONCACAF minnows like Guyana, Dominican Republic, even Canada (where the Canadian Soccer Federation rivals 90's Mike Brown for ineptitude) their rankings stay high. While a top European team, playing against other world powers in Europe will see it's rankings get hurt. Lets put it this way, the US would not be ranked Top 5 in Europe or maybe even in Africa. I think the US will eventually become a major power...too many kids are playing the sport now not for that to happen, but it will take about 10-15 years more I think.

The US is in a pretty tough group though...drawn with Italy, the Czech Republic (who would both be favoured to reach at least the last 16) and Ghana who have a lot of talent.

But all the groups are pretty tough imo, cept Group B, where England and Sweden should trample Paraguay and Trinidad & Tobago.

Actually Germany and France have it pretty easy in their groups as well I guess:

[url="http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/group/index.html"]http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/group/index.html[/url]

the u.s. will make it out of its group, im sure of it. the problem i have is that while we may not be a top 4 team in the world we are better than fucking mexico who got a seed over us. that, in my opinion, is complete bullshit. we beat the hell outta them every time we play them in the state or in neutral territory, we have a better record, higher rankings, we beat them in the last wc, and we play them tough at the azteca or whatever that place is called. we are in the hardest group with the #2 czechs, an early wc favorite in italy, and ghana, who is definitely very underrated and looking to take out at least one of us three. i foresee us getting the number 2 seed and im not trying to sound pretentious when i say this but i think that puts us against brazil in a match that would be one for the ages, i am sure. unless the u.s. comes out scared, which would make 0 sense givin their cocky demeanor i think we can play with brazil and perhaps with a little luck (okay, a lot), we could even sneak by them. hell, we beat germany in every facet of the game in the last wc, its just we forgot all about that pesky goal scorign thing...

whatever happens we will have a solid showing and no bad can come from this, besides, im anticipating the next 2 wc's alot more than this one because of the surplus of young stars on this team.

oh, and i dont care what anybody says, keller couldnt hold freidels jock

[/momentaryranting]

Nati Ice, you are a brave brave man. On paper a case could be made that every team in that group is stronger than the States, the Italians with their talent, the Czechs with Nedved, Kohler, Baros etc, the Ghanaians with African footballer of the year Michael Essien. But if the States play together, they could spring a surprise for sure. And I agree with the call on Friedel being the goods. He had a hell of a season in England.

I think it could be one of those groups where it's a case of everyone drawing all their matches, and goal difference being the key.

I'm in for a fantasy pool, I can spring the link tomorrow. I have it saved at work. Also, if you guys are interested I run a world cup pool up here.

I get about 300 people, entry fee is $30 Canadian. Winner takes home $5,400. Format is you have 100 points to spend and every team is worth a certain amount. Figure with the way the USD is dropping it'll be good money for you guys :P

But if you are interested either please post your email address or pm it to me. I will send out the announcement tomorrow.

the u.s. is always the underdog in soccer and will continue on that path for another decade or so... regardless of this years cup, timmy is our keeper of the future so ill just go ahead and quote the man u bastards showing their support for the boy.

Timmy Howard
F**k Off
He plays in our net
F**k Off
Timmy Howard
F**k Off
He's got Tourette's

anywho... we will do as i say... and soon ill be yelling at my tv...

"Can you hear the Czech sing? No-O! No-O!
Can you hear Italy sing? No-O! No-O!
Can you hear Ghana sing, I CAN'T HEAR A F***ING THING!
No, No, No"

:lol:

I don't think i can do the pool thing because i don't quite have my summer job yet...but ill do the fantasy league...ill send you the adress when i get home today...because im getting ready to leave.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='269179' date='May 17 2006, 02:08 AM']the u.s. is always the underdog in soccer and will continue on that path for another decade or so... regardless of this years cup, timmy is our keeper of the future so ill just go ahead and quote the man u bastards showing their support for the boy.

Timmy Howard
F**k Off
He plays in our net
F**k Off
Timmy Howard
F**k Off
He's got Tourette's
anywho... we will do as i say... and soon ill be yelling at my tv...

"Can you hear the Czech sing? No-O! No-O!
Can you hear Italy sing? No-O! No-O!
Can you hear Ghana sing, I CAN'T HEAR A F***ING THING!
No, No, No"[/quote]

The Man Utd tribute to their Korean midfielder Park is quite funny as well:

Park, Park
Wherever You May Be
You Eat Dogs
In Your Home Country
It Could Be Worse
You Could Be A Scouse
Living in Your
Council House

(Scouse being the term for Liverpudlians)

Then as Tottenham are Jewish owned and historically the Jewish club of choice, (their nickname in London is even "the Yids" to other teams) this chant is sung against them. (Nothing better than 50,000 people cracking off a chant about the other team forced by religion into being circumcised) Even though they don't have a single Jewish player on the team currently and haven't for a while.

My one skin goes over my two skin
My two skin goes over my three
My three skin goes over my foreskin
Oh bring back my foreskin to me...
Bring back! Bring back!
Bring back my foreskin to me! (To me!)

Guest BlackJesus
[b]let's see ....

I am not really a fan of Soccer .... and will only watch World Cup Soccer

with that said I do like aspects of World cup soccer because of the magnitude of the stage .... and the fact that to some countries a victory in the event can be a beacon of pride (especially when a former brutalized colony defeats it's former colonial oppressor) - like when Senegal beat France a few years back.

I also enjoy the chest thumping and rivalry that can take place when certain nations go against each other .....

with that in mind my rule of thumb is to

- Root for 3rd world countires who are the true underdogs with very little funding or equipment (these would be like Stallone in Rocky IV training for the Russian Drago). [/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='269270' date='May 17 2006, 11:28 AM'][b]
with that said I do like aspects of World cup soccer because of the magnitude of the stage .... and the fact that to some countries a victory in the event can be a beacon of pride (especially when a former brutalized colony defeats it's former colonial oppressor) - like when Senegal beat France a few years back.
I also enjoy the chest thumping and rivalry that can take place when certain nations go against each other [/b][/quote]

The Senegal / France upset was a huge one. Especially as one of the main stars of the French team, midfielder Patrick Viera, was of Senegalese birth. A couple of other guys on the team as well I think, like Djibril Cisse.

[quote name='Paul' post='269400' date='May 17 2006, 04:53 PM']Barca won hell yes, it was a good game.[/quote]
That was a hell of a game. I wish the level of competitiveness was the same over here.

Was anyone else dissapointed by Ronaldinhos direct kicks? I can see the first mistake on the first one but he did the same thing on the second one and hooked it again...if he would have put it more center and that curve on it would have been a goal.

[quote name='JC' post='269437' date='May 17 2006, 06:36 PM']Was anyone else dissapointed by Ronaldinhos direct kicks? I can see the first mistake on the first one but he did the same thing on the second one and hooked it again...if he would have put it more center and that curve on it would have been a goal.[/quote]

Yeah... but it was REALLY rainy. I think he may have been trying to force it - all of his misses were curling out, except that low one he put right into the wall.

Fucking Barca is SICK. They are sooooo deep - people are too worried about Ronnie, when Sam Eto'o can get you, or any of the others on the front or the middle, let alone the guns they have hidden on the sideline.

[quote name='Kool Keith' post='270044' date='May 18 2006, 11:30 PM']Yeah... but it was REALLY rainy. I think he may have been trying to force it - all of his misses were curling out, except that low one he put right into the wall.

Fucking Barca is SICK. They are sooooo deep - people are too worried about Ronnie, when Sam Eto'o can get you, or any of the others on the front or the middle, let alone the guns they have hidden on the sideline.[/quote]
That goal Eto'o had (i believe) was amazing...he thread the needle putting right past the goalie such a little space. I still can't get enough of that game.

Archived