Soccer Thread

Guest BlackJesus
[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='280903' date='Jun 11 2006, 02:57 PM']Another reason you gotta love the World Cup...Angola...just emerged out of 30 years of civil war, but there are still pockets of fighting in the country...but a ceasefire has been declared for the whole duration of Angola's group games so that everyone in the country can watch. Gotta love it.[/quote]

[center][b]
[size=3]Hell Yeah ..... Go Angola ![/size][/b]

[img]http://images.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/_photos/2005-10-08-angola-inside.jpg[/img][/center]

[quote name='#40' post='280966' date='Jun 11 2006, 05:59 PM']anyone know why edgar davids for netherlands aint playing?????[/quote]

Van Basten rang in the youth movement this time. Turfing guys like Davids, Patrick Kluivert and Clarence Seedorf. Opting to go for youth and in his mind "hungrier" players instead.

The biggest shock was probably his leaving striker Roy McKaay out of the squad. The guy has been consistently a top scorer in the German Bundesliga for Bayern Munich the last couple of years. But after the performance the Dutch attack put together today with Robben, Van Persie and Nistelrooy, you can't really argue with the results. Plus in Dirk Kuyt, the Dutch think they have their next great striker.

Guest BlackJesus
[b]As an aside I am glad to see that those on here are able to broaden their rooting interests beyond their own nation ....

Many of these teams have overcome a lot to get here ... and for some nations this is a symbol of pride .... when for most in the U.S. they might care less about the U.S. team. [/b]

I have been finding myself rooting for the underdog in about every game so far. And i have found a new team in Trinidad and Tobago. It's nice..i hope they get this changed to every 2 years instead of 4 years so we have more of a chance to watch the legends play

Ok heres the deal. Ive never played soccer in my life, i always played football and baseball when i was growing up. I dont find watching Soccer too entertaining because of the low scores and not much action. But i do tend to watch the World Cup because I am an american and i root for my country. Most of you guys seem like you know what your talking about when it comes to this sport. So I will pose a question that somebody might be able to answer or clear up. Why the fuck doesnt the USA have a better team? All I hear is that soccer is the most played sport by our young kids yet our National team sucks balls. I really cant make the connection. Youd figure out of all the young kids we have playing we could put together 11 guys that would kick ass.

Guest BlackJesus

[quote name='dieselman44' post='281148' date='Jun 11 2006, 11:49 PM']Ok heres the deal. Ive never played soccer in my life, i always played football and baseball when i was growing up. I dont find watching Soccer too entertaining because of the low scores and not much action. But i do tend to watch the World Cup because I am an american and i root for my country. Most of you guys seem like you know what your talking about when it comes to this sport. So I will pose a question that somebody might be able to answer or clear up. Why the fuck doesnt the USA have a better team? All I hear is that soccer is the most played sport by our young kids yet our National team sucks balls. I really cant make the connection. Youd figure out of all the young kids we have playing we could put together 11 guys that would kick ass.[/quote]

[b]not enough black players :ninja: [/b]

[b]actually I only watch World Cup Soccer so I have no idea [/b]

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='280991' date='Jun 11 2006, 07:03 PM']Van Basten rang in the youth movement this time. Turfing guys like Davids, Patrick Kluivert and Clarence Seedorf. Opting to go for youth and in his mind "hungrier" players instead.

The biggest shock was probably his leaving striker Roy McKaay out of the squad. The guy has been consistently a top scorer in the German Bundesliga for Bayern Munich the last couple of years. But after the performance the Dutch attack put together today with Robben, Van Persie and Nistelrooy, you can't really argue with the results. Plus in Dirk Kuyt, the Dutch think they have their next great striker.[/quote]

Seems like a good decision. But I'D like to see Kluivert and Davids get some touches. I also know Nistelrooy dosent play for Man U.Right? Has he gone somewhere else or not?

it used to be that way, but things are changing. back then kids growing up playing soccer through elementry, middle school,H.S, and college, then it's all over. they went to start their lives with jobs like you and me,unless they went to europe or south america. but now we have the MLS which it gives college players the opurtunity to expand their loved sport into a career like pro football and etc.... but the U.S team is ranked top 6 in the world right now, and i think their gonna be a real good team. they won't win the world cup now but who knows, anything could happen, i mean look at the fucking stealers. but yeah for a while the U.S teams sucked balls.

[quote name='dieselman44' post='281148' date='Jun 11 2006, 11:49 PM']Ok heres the deal. Ive never played soccer in my life, i always played football and baseball when i was growing up. I dont find watching Soccer too entertaining because of the low scores and not much action. But i do tend to watch the World Cup because I am an american and i root for my country. Most of you guys seem like you know what your talking about when it comes to this sport. So I will pose a question that somebody might be able to answer or clear up. Why the fuck doesnt the USA have a better team? All I hear is that soccer is the most played sport by our young kids yet our National team sucks balls. I really cant make the connection. Youd figure out of all the young kids we have playing we could put together 11 guys that would kick ass.[/quote]basically its like this...

*60s/70s - soccer first begins to catch on with americas youth
*mid to late 70s - first wave of talented youth players comes through
*80s - talent continues to improve, level of play increases from laughable to bad
*late 80s to 1990 - college players and lower level european players help team usa get to the world cup for the first time since their 1950 upset of england. us gets approval from fifa to host the 1994 wc in a newly interested american society
*1994 - lower to mid european club members and smaller domestic club players play in a home cup and do surprisingly well helping to spark further interest in the sport and a domestic league
*1996 - the mls is launched
*1998 - us decides to suck some dick in france/shitty coach resigns... bruce arena is hired (current us coach)
**************late 90s - citing increased interest in the sport us soccer and nike prepares to create the img soccer academy for the elite american youth players in bradenton, florida. the investment costs millions of dollars. (project 2010 and project-40 are also launched)
*late 90s/early 2000 - interest increases in american soccer from "novelty item"... to having a major fanbase. youth teams begin to kick ass. investment comes full course from pre-60s level of 0$ to millions$$$$$
*2002 - the us stuns many in the international community with its resilience and advances out of their group into the next round of play where they beat germany, but unfortunately lose to them on the scoreboard
*2002 to present - play continues as youth movement becomes much much more competitive and organized, and corporations finally see soccer as a worthy future investment. billions are made, and hundreds of millions are invested into the movement

the future? -my guess would be that we either tank or swim in this cup. with such a hard group theres really not much room for anything else. fortunately time has proven soccers future in america, and no longer does a bad wc showing threaten the security of the whole movement. with a thriving youth program, womens national team (who i unintentionally left out of my timeline, and am too lazy to go back in and add), and with major collegiate and professional domestic and (non-european) foreign success, the level of play has risen to competitive with no signs of falling. with continued success i would look for the us to become a major competitor in 2014... even though one could make the argument we have already reached such status.

in short: time + $ investment + youth program = professional success

every other sport we are good at we either invented it or made a major investment before it caught on internationally.

From my current high school expierence...Soccer is looked down upon...if you play soccer you are a lawn fairy and no one likes to get made fun of. So when you are little you want to fit in and you play football and grow up and never pick up a soccer ball again. I stayed under that influence till my 8th grade year and then i thought about playing soccer again because my high school football team sucked real bad hasn't won a game in 2-3 years. (It really hurt my progression so if you have a kid and he wants to play soccer keep him there and don't let him be influenced by his friends) But the soccer team was pretty decent. Granted we still get the soccer fairy bullshit from someone driving by during practices we don't care. Soccer is growing a lot from where im from...and i hear all the time all the U-17 and teams such as that are getting way better.

I just think the overall lack of talent is because soccer doesn't shine..you never see a soccer game on tv. Soccer games aren't played on fridays under the lights were everyone goes to and there the kid can shine. Our football sucks but they still get 3 times the crowd we get at our games and we won around 7-8 games this year. But if we keep doing this and they progressivly keep on showing soccer on tv to show that it really isn't that boring and takes about 5 times the skill as much as football does...soccer will prosper.

Guest BlackJesus
[size=3][u][quote][img]http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/07/02/pt_mahmoud_ent-lead__200x255.jpg[/img]
Rally against Iranian president ahead of first World Cup match
Jun 11, 2006
Yahoo News[/u][/size]

NUREMBERG, Germany (AFP) - Some 1,200 people joined a rally against Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ahead of a World Cup match .n this southern German city between Iran and Mexico.

Waving Israeli flags, the demonstrators attacked Ahmadinejad's anti- Israel rhetoric and repeated denial of the Holocaust at Sunday's protest organized by the local Jewish community and the German trade union alliance.

Bavarian state interior minister Guenther Beckstein said the demonstration was not targeted against the Iranian team or the Iranian people but against "a man who has placed himself outside civilization".

"A criminal like Ahmadinejad is not welcome (in Germany)," he said.

"Let us show that Bavaria and Germany as well as the entire Western world stand firmly by Israel and our Jewish fellow citizens."

Police said the event went off without incident.

Ahmadinejad has been widely condemned for describing the Holocaust as a "myth" and calling for Israel to be "wiped off the map".

[b]He has said he would like to attend the football extravaganza running through July 9 but has made no firm plans.[/b] A source close to him said he would be watching Sunday's game on television in his office in Tehran.

[b]Iranian Vice President Mohammad Aliabadi was granted a German visa and visited the Iranian team in Nuremberg Saturday[/b] ahead of their first World Cup match Sunday.

Michel Friedman, a television presenter and high-profile member of Germany's Jewish community, told the rally it was scandalous that Aliabadi had been allowed to enter the country.

Earlier, [b]police broke up a pro-Iranian rally by neo-Nazis in Nuremberg, a former Nazi stronghold.[/b]

The 16 men and women there were dressed in Iranian jerseys, hoisting Iranian flags and distributing flyers demanding that the demonstration against Ahmadinejad be banned, police spokesman Peter Groesch.

Amid the controversy, Iran coach Branko Ivankovic told reporters Saturday to stop asking him about politics.

"These political questions are not for me. I think it's not for me and it's not for people here. Please just ask about my team against Mexico," said the Croatian.[/quote]

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060611/wl_mideast_afp/fblwc2006iriiranpolitics_060611162620"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060611/wl_mi...cs_060611162620[/url]

[quote name='#40' post='281157' date='Jun 12 2006, 12:06 AM']Seems like a good decision. But I'D like to see Kluivert and Davids get some touches. I also know Nistelrooy dosent play for Man U.Right? Has he gone somewhere else or not?[/quote]

Van Nistelrooy is still officially a member of Man Utd but will move after the World Cup. Not sure what happened between him and Ferguson, but he's done there. Rumours have him potentially moving to AC Milan, who need a striker following Shevchenko's $70 million move to Chelsea.

Seems to be a bit of trouble out of the Dutch camp this morning, clash of ego's already. Robbie Van Persie was apparently quoted in a Dutch paper saying Arjen Robben is too greedy on the ball and he can't stand the way he doesn't pass and always tries to take everyone on. Considering Van Persie is a noted ball hog himself! I thought it was a full on pot calling the kettle black situation.

But still, not the news you want to hear out of the team after only one game.

Holy shit Cahill is good.

But that goalie made a mistake on that thrown in...he shouldn't have came in so far.

But that was a beautiful hit by Cahill and im glad Aussie land is going to take this one home.

Yeah on paper this should have been no contest considering how many players Australia have playing in the premier league in England

Kewell...Liverpool
Cahill...Everton
Viduka...Middlesborough
Emerton...Blackburn
Shwarzer...Aston Villa
Johnson...Blackburn

Good game overall. Now to try to catch up on all the work I was meant to be doing the last 1.5 hours!

jeez...usa is looking so sloppy...especially beasly...fuckk fuck fuck

Jan Koller is a bitch.

and Reyna almost had it [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/20.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/20.gif[/img]

They better get there shit together...because right now they look sloppy as hell. They aren't making there threw balls...they aren't winning loose balls. Italy will tear them up...if they don't pick it the fuck up.

shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty

...PATHETIC

we came out flat with a shitty lineup and they played like a bunch of scared little girls. nobody stepped up, and nobody took anyone on 1v1. we didnt even deserve to be ont he field today for that game.

hopefully ghana and italy tie nil/nil

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='281552' date='Jun 12 2006, 03:43 PM']shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty shitty

...PATHETIC
we came out flat with a shitty lineup and they played like a bunch of scared little girls. nobody stepped up, and nobody took anyone on 1v1. we didnt even deserve to be ont he field today for that game.

hopefully ghana and italy tie nil/nil[/quote]
Ghana has been attacking pretty fair...but Italy is just taking it to them.....i think we have to beat Ghana...Czech has to beat Italy and then we have to beat Italy.

We definatly need to do a change in the lineup...and donovan needs to be a mid...because at striker he didn't get close to enough touches...maybe try Beasley at Striker...he's quick and he sure as hell didn't do anything but play like shit on the wing today. Or at least move him to the other wing.

Archived