Soccer Thread

The US looked pretty good against a team of the caliber of Spain. We definatly miss Landon, but Adu is emerging very well and i wish they wouldn't have taken him out in the second half. He was setting a lot of guys up. EJ worked pretty well with him.

I am also very excited to see how Jozy does in his move. If he doesn't do well though, i hope it doesn't crush his confidence.

Landon Donovan getting his 100th cap tonight. Hopefully it makes a difference.

Edit: After watching five minutes of this, it could definatly be a blood bath. Argentina is attacking at will.

Adu should be an absolute lock to be a starter in the 2010 WC. Where? I have no idea but he is a playmaker and it has been showing.

Landon really helped the attack last night but it might not matter until we get some guys that can finish on a consistent basis.

As for Tim. We may have one of the best GK in the world. He is nasty.

Any other thoughts on the game?

Turkey just scored two goals in two minutes to qualify and knocking the Czechs out of the tourny.

Probably one of the coolest things i have ever seen.

Also, im sure someone will know this.

Why isn't Jozy on the roster for this qualifier? Why not plug him in up top and see if he can do any better then EJ right now or try a two striker set. It's not like they are generating any goals with what there running right now..

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='681316' date='Jul 24 2008, 08:34 PM']mls all stars just got done beating west ham 3-2 in what turned out to be a quite decent all star match

also a few days ago 30 west ham fans supposedly got their asses kicked by approx 100 crew fans up in columbus, so... USA USA USA[/quote]

:P in all honesty, it was a B team West Ham put out there. but yeah, not a bad game, I'll post some pics from the match when I upload them. But Blanco's goal was great. Beckham got a lot of stick thankfully

As for part 2, watch the youtube video, embarrassing all around. the Columbus people being dickheads, and even worse, some West Ham idiots, chanting ICF and trying to rumble. (The ICF stood for the Inter City Firm. West Ham's gang in the 80s. Much feared, but total morons. more interested in fighting than the games. Most went to jail or dispersed after a few Birmingham fans were killed)

There is a movie coming out called "Cass" which is all about the former leader of the ICF. Looks to be good. Much better than that awful green street hooligans.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='681316' date='Jul 24 2008, 09:34 PM']mls all stars just got done beating west ham 3-2 in what turned out to be a quite decent all star match

also a few days ago 30 west ham fans supposedly got their asses kicked by approx 100 crew fans up in columbus, so... USA USA USA[/quote]

i was at the game in columbus, it was nothing like what usa today reported. And the columbus fans are about the biggest bunch of idiots i have ever seen. First off they named there supporters group the hudson street hooligans, after the movie green street holigans. Then did nothing but chant and sing shit about that lame ass movie. Not to mention i saw 3 HSH members push down a 50+ year old women for wearing westham colors. Needless to say the police had to drag me away from them.

[quote name='whodey24k' post='681874' date='Jul 28 2008, 02:04 PM']i was at the game in columbus, it was nothing like what usa today reported. And the columbus fans are about the biggest bunch of idiots i have ever seen. First off they named there supporters group the hudson street hooligans, after the movie green street holigans. Then did nothing but chant and sing shit about that lame ass movie. Not to mention i saw 3 HSH members push down a 50+ year old women for wearing westham colors. Needless to say the police had to drag me away from them.[/quote]
Lovely. <_<

On a lighter note...

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/7521732.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...utd/7521732.stm[/url]

[quote][b]West Ham sign Lazio star Behrami[/b]

West Ham have signed Switzerland international Valon Behrami from Lazio in a £5m deal.

Behrami, 23, can play at right-back or on the right side of midfield and has signed a five-year contract.

He started all of Switzerland's games at Euro 2008 and the Hammers had to beat off interest from clubs in England and Germany to complete the deal.

Behrami has 15 caps and was a regular for Lazio, playing for the Rome side in last year's Champions League.

He said: "It's my dream come true to play for West Ham and play in the Premier League.

"At last I am able to sign. After the Euro 2008 Championship I spoke to West Ham who had expressed an interest but I had to be sure it was the right thing for everybody.

"I have now made my decision and am looking forward to being part of this side and playing in the English league."

West Ham's chief executive Scott Duxbury insists the signing of Behrami shows that reports of the club struggling to find the finances to strengthen the squad this season are nonsense.

He said: "Valon is a player who will a valuable addition to the squad as we aim for a successful season ahead.

"His signing also indicates the club's positive ambitions. Contrary to some reports we are fully committed to strengthening the playing staff.

"There will not be a mass exodus and fans can be assured we are working as hard as always to ensure high-calibre competition in all areas of the team."[/quote]

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='681875' date='Jul 28 2008, 01:25 AM']Lovely. <_<

On a lighter note...

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/7521732.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...utd/7521732.stm[/url][/quote]

its columbus, what did you expect.

nice pick up! come on you irons!

[quote name='whodey24k' post='681883' date='Jul 28 2008, 07:54 PM'][b]its columbus, what did you expect.[/b]

nice pick up! come on you irons![/quote]Since I know you are talking shit about the Buckeyes..

I've been to about 4-5 OSU games over the years, and never once have I seen anything that would come close to being considered to be rowdy or antisocial behavior. Better behaved crowds than UVa for sure. Only place I've been with a "better" behaved crowd is the Naval Academy. FWIW, FSU and VT were also much worse.

Maybe I've just been lucky in Columbus. But I've never witnessed anything like what you saw at the soccer game.

Guess that's the difference between soccer fans and Buckeye fans :P

• 2 months later...
This could only happen to West Ham.

Two years ago, we get a new billionaire owner from Iceland. He negotiates a relatively well paying sponsorship deal for the team. Hopes are high that we will no longer have to be a big selling team, letting our best players regularly go.

Two years later, our sponsor airline is bankrupt, the owner's Bank has been nationalized to prevent bankruptcy by the Icelandic govt, and the only hope we have is either his richer son bails us out, or the rumours of mega Indian billionaire Anil Ambani buying us are true.

Never a dull day with the Hammers!

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='712887' date='Oct 13 2008, 07:53 AM']This could only happen to West Ham.

Two years ago, we get a new billionaire owner from Iceland. He negotiates a relatively well paying sponsorship deal for the team. Hopes are high that we will no longer have to be a big selling team, letting our best players regularly go.

Two years later, our sponsor airline is bankrupt, the owner's Bank has been nationalized to prevent bankruptcy by the Icelandic govt, and the only hope we have is either his richer son bails us out, or the rumours of mega Indian billionaire Anil Ambani buying us are true.

Never a dull day with the Hammers![/quote]

You forgot to mention that they also bent the rules in managing to stay out of the Championship, and are now being punished. :nope:

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='712943' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:34 AM']You forgot to mention that they also bent the rules in managing to stay out of the Championship, and are now being punished. :nope:[/quote]

That tevez case is total bullshit. the previous regime settled with the PL, and paid a 5 million pound fine. When you have a deal with the league you belong to, how can an external arbitrary body, determine going on's in your league. Also, how can you determine the exact effect tevez had? Against Bolton, sure, he scored two goals and set up the 3rd...but other games it was other folks stepping up.

Plus, has anyone seen Sheffield United play? We did a service to the world in making sure that long ball boring bullshit is not exported to sensitive eyes worldwide. :)

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='713812' date='Oct 14 2008, 09:57 PM']That tevez case is total bullshit. the previous regime settled with the PL, and paid a 5 million pound fine. When you have a deal with the league you belong to, how can an external arbitrary body, determine going on's in your league. Also, how can you determine the exact effect tevez had? Against Bolton, sure, he scored two goals and set up the 3rd...but other games it was other folks stepping up.

Plus, has anyone seen Sheffield United play? We did a service to the world in making sure that long ball boring bullshit is not exported to sensitive eyes worldwide. :)[/quote]

Was Mascherano playing regularly at that time as well?

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='713826' date='Oct 14 2008, 10:48 PM']Was Mascherano playing regularly at that time as well?[/quote]

Nope, Mascherano didn't figure in more than 4 games and by the end of season run had been shipped to Liverpool. Our manager at the time seemed to think journeyman Hayden Mullins, master of the 5 foot sideways pass was the better player. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='VonBlade' post='717609' date='Oct 25 2008, 06:51 PM']Fucks sake. So we sack Jol to hire Ramos last year, then sell all our good players and wonder why we're doing badly. THEN sack Ramos, and Poyet [b]and[/b] Comolli (who's fault the whole thing is) to hire... Harry fucking Redknapp. God damn.[/quote]

Crazy. Spurs are mad. In a way you can't blame Ramos, he lost Berbatov and Keane. Would always be tough. But Harry..the master wheeler dealer who always looks out for himself. Adds something to the Spurs / West Ham rivalry. (as an ex Hammers player and manager, it will be boo central, it was already pretty serious)

I think this confirms that the Russians behind Portsmouth (the Gaydamaks) are having some financial troubles and looking to sell, otherwise, I can't really understand why Redknapp would leave. Short of an incredible offer, he was a king in Portsmouth, had a decent team, UEFA cup. etc. Sure, Spurs have money to spend.

Edit: Wait, it seems Spurs paid Pompey, £5m, and I assume he can't take Tony Adams who probably becomes coach now.

Harry divides West Ham supporters, I didn't mind him, and he gives great interviews. He's made shrewd signings at Portsmouth and initially at West Ham. But the money he got from the Rio ferdinand and Lampard sales at West Ham (29 million pounds,) he spend on absolute shit...

[quote name='VonBlade' post='717609' date='Oct 25 2008, 06:51 PM']Fucks sake. So we sack Jol to hire Ramos last year, then sell all our good players and wonder why we're doing badly. THEN sack Ramos, and Poyet [b]and[/b] Comolli (who's fault the whole thing is) to hire... Harry fucking Redknapp. God damn.[/quote]

I thought Ramos had to go - the roster isn't nearly as bad as the results. Anyway, just my two points' - ahem, that's "cents' " - worth.

That's my worry. The money we gained from the sale of Berbs (that we've yet to spend) he'll spend on some rough untalented hacks to get us to survival. Ok we need survival, but can you imagine people like Modric and Giovanni listening to Redknapp? Hells teeth.

Nobody can lose their two main strikers and expect to do well. So I feel for Jol because of the shitty way we sacked him for Ramos. I feel for Ramos because his hands were tied (although I agree with Tory that we are much better than the terrible 451 we've been playing) and I feel for us because we've got a blustering charlatan who's previous purchases include the awful Crouch, the lightweight Krancjar and Defoe.

Mind-blowing turn of events. Should have sacked Comolli and stuck it out til January and got in some proper strikers.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='717624' date='Oct 26 2008, 03:53 AM']That's my worry. The money we gained from the sale of Berbs (that we've yet to spend) he'll spend on some rough untalented hacks to get us to survival. Ok we need survival, but can you imagine people like Modric and Giovanni listening to Redknapp? Hells teeth.

Nobody can lose their two main strikers and expect to do well. So I feel for Jol because of the shitty way we sacked him for Ramos. I feel for Ramos because his hands were tied (although I agree with Tory that we are much better than the terrible 451 we've been playing) and I feel for us because we've got a blustering charlatan who's previous purchases include the awful Crouch, the lightweight Krancjar and Defoe.

Mind-blowing turn of events. Should have sacked Comolli and stuck it out til January and got in some proper strikers.[/quote]

Oh, ye of little faith. Spurs will be well clear of the drop zone by January as long as Ramos stays well away, especially if they keep coming up with magic like at the Emirates. The team is just too good to go down - being just a few years and one tainted pre-match buffet away from the Champions' League.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='717624' date='Oct 26 2008, 03:53 AM']That's my worry. The money we gained from the sale of Berbs (that we've yet to spend) he'll spend on some rough untalented hacks to get us to survival. Ok we need survival, but can you imagine people like Modric and Giovanni listening to Redknapp? Hells teeth.

Mind-blowing turn of events. Should have sacked Comolli and stuck it out til January and got in some proper strikers.[/quote]

...So by now you're probably erecting a Redknapp statue in your living room, aren't you?

Nope.

Beat a pretty bad Bolton side. Drew insanely luckily against a useful Arse, and then squeaked by Liverpool.

Ok so the results are better than Ramos managed, but once the players are past the initial "whoop someone who speaks English" bit, it isn't a surprise that the talent we had managed to get some results, nor will it be a surprise the next time we get stuffed.

Come back to me at the end of January and I'll let you know, dependant upon who we've brought in. I'd wager a pound to a penny it's more likely to be some lumbering sack of shit like Heskey than someone with real talent like Arshavin.
VB

Looked very good vs. Dinamo Zagreb yesterday your lot.

Go Tory, predictions for Arsenal / Man U this weekend?

Also, this man can apparently do no wrong:

[url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=589743&sec=england&&cc=5901"]http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...mp;&cc=5901[/url]

[quote]NEW LEADER OF FREE WORLD IS HAMMERS FAN
Hammers offer open invite to President-elect Obama

By Chris Murphy

November 6, 2008

It may not come near the top of his immediate to-do list but don't be surprised if you see the new leader of the free world on the terraces at Upton Park some time in the future.

GettyImages

The new U.S. President could visit Upton Park again.

That's because West Ham United have offered President-elect Barack Obama an open invitation to the Boleyn ground after his historic election victory this week.

[b]Senator Obama is already a fan after being taken to a match by family members in 2003, but now the east London club have sent him a message of congratulation and an invitation to renew acquaintances with the Hammers on his first visit to Britain.

Of course, with the current financial meltdown and two wars ongoing, taking in West Ham v Wigan may be etched near the bottom of his immediate priority list.

But that hasn't deterred the Hammers, who told PA Sport: "We are delighted that Barack Obama has an association with West Ham and are sending him our congratulations and an invitation to attend a match whenever he is in Britain."[/b]

Obama is well known in the States for his liking for "soccer" - his older daughter Malia, 10, is a regular for a girls' team in Chicago.

Obama's half sister Auma lives in England, and it is was she who introduced him to the wonders of West Ham.

A source from his presidential campaign said back in January: "Obama is a big sports nut and loves his soccer. He never really followed it, though, until he was told all about the passion of West Ham fans by some of his English relatives. He's always keen to find out how his adopted club are getting on."

West Ham's American defender Jonathan Spector, who is from Obama's home state Illinois, said he would love to host a visit from the new president.

Spector said: "From a personal perspective it certainly would be something special to welcome him to West Ham."[/quote]

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='722267' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:30 AM']Looked very good vs. Dinamo Zagreb yesterday your lot.

Go Tory, predictions for Arsenal / Man U this weekend?

Also, this man can apparently do no wrong:

[url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=589743&sec=england&&cc=5901"]http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...mp;&cc=5901[/url][/quote]

A prediction might imply that this Arsenal team is predictable. They might be world-beaters, or they might be a team that would lose to Hull...or Stoke. Anyway, I'll go ahead and predict a 2-2 draw. I'll also predict there will be no pizza in the post-match spread.

Interesting article... In contrast, I suppose I'm proud to prefer the favorite club of Usama bin Laden.

Archived