Soccer Thread

[quote name='VonBlade' post='737962' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:34 AM']Fucking yippee :(

Spurs have just brought back Defoe. We sold him a year ago for £9m. We've just brought him for £15m.

Sensible business practices ftw![/quote]

If my calculations are correct... if you start making death threats against him and his family, and maybe jeer him every time he's on the ball, and he decides he wants out... assuming a 66% markup... you could make your club a quick profit of £10m in just a few months!

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='JC' post='742039' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:53 AM']Anyone heading to the USA v. Mexico at the Crew stadium on Febuary 11th?[/quote]

I wouldn't go near it. Apparently, the Mexicans are putting a hex on the place using voodoo; who knows what sort of bad things will happen...

Also, it will be cold as balls there.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='743355' date='Jan 30 2009, 05:26 PM']I wouldn't go near it. Apparently, the Mexicans are putting a hex on the place using voodoo; who knows what sort of bad things will happen...

Also, it will be cold as balls there.[/quote]
Yeah. I imagine it would be much nicer watching it on HD in 70 degree weather.

I don't want to have to deal with the fights either. And if Mexico does somehow take us down, i don't want to deal with them.

[quote name='JC' post='743540' date='Jan 31 2009, 10:53 PM']Yeah. I imagine it would be much nicer watching it on HD in 70 degree weather.

I don't want to have to deal with the fights either. And if Mexico does somehow take us down, i don't want to deal with them.[/quote]

I still think it's hilarious that they always put this game in Columbus. "We need someplace cold, where there are as few Mexicans as possible. You know what that means."

"Columbus!"

[quote name='JC' post='742039' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:53 AM']Anyone heading to the USA v. Mexico at the Crew stadium on Febuary 11th?[/quote]

I will be there. Columbus has a huge Mexican population and I'm sure there is going to be a large contingent in support of the Mexican side. Word is they want people who are supporting the USA to wear red. However, I'm going to try and stay warm and dry first! Right now weather.com is calling for a high of 56 that day and a low of 37 with a 50% chance of rain. They keep changing it though and I hope it changes for the better.

Ha those dolls were bogus. Red hair. 01 on the back.

But Deuce, Bease, Bradley, and Hedjuk came to dominate today. Hopefully they keep it up. Especially Bease and Deuce. Hopefully we can get someone to distrubute at the striker position better than Ching.

Other than that, limit the mistakes and put one or two in the back of the net and were off to another W against Mexico.

Indeed. Howard and Bradley have to share Man of the Match honors. Howard made some on the spot saves and it just wasn't Bradley's goals but also some solid play defensively in the midfield. We gave away alot of possession at times with errant passes where we weren't on the same page but overall they shut it down when they really needed to.

The Mexican National Team are some pretty dirty players. Not just Marquez getting the red card but later around the 89th/90th minute one guy swung his hand around hitting LD in the face. All 4 refs were Hispanic/Latino whatever, and they seemed to have a different standard in their calls. They obviously made some against Mexico but it took more. The sideline assistant on the bench side was horrible. He would call an out but he wouldn't put his flag either way until the guy in the center had already called it and he was consistently out of position in both halves. He missed offsides against both teams because he was 10 yards or more too far up the field.

Tons of Mexicanos...no surprise there. They pretty much started their mass exodus around the 87th minute. Of course a bunch of them wanted to talk smack outside the stadium. Had to kick 3 of them out of our seats because they thought they were in 116 and they were in 118. In the first half a bunch of them started filling up the aisle between 118 and 117 and standing there which prompted security to make a visit and tell them to beat it.

Great time though. Look forward to another USA game at Crew Stadium.

What do you think of Pearce and Ching?

Jozy didn't look all that great either. He looked slow to the ball and just pretty non chalant.

I hope Hedjuk is gonna stick around for the next WC. That guy is a gamer.

And last thing. Tims yellow came from that fake on the Goalkick didn't it? The announcers were saying he got one for the collision.

Pearce...did not look good. He made me nervous with the ball at his feet and really don't believe he looked comfortable and looked to get rid of it too soon sometimes

Ching...He did nothing in this match IMO. He was not effective with his back to the goal. Jozy didn't light it up but I thought Sr. Bradley waited too long to replace Ching and Jozy barely had time to work up any sort of sweat. But, when Jozy got the ball they bracketed him with 2 marks and in the last 8 minutes we were able to apply some good pressure on offense that resulted in Bradley's 2nd goal.

I was disappointed that we didn't have Freddy and Maurice at this one. They along with Jozy, Sacha, Bradley are the future and by next summer I think will be big contributors. Will be interesting which of those will be starting. Still have Dempsey, Clark, Beasley and LD.

I love the way Hejduk plays. A right back who can help you out on the attack. He's a free spirit surfer dude that I hope will be part of the WC squad.

I'm pretty sure Howard's yellow was for the fake. The ref pulled it out after Howard pulled up. Which I found out today is his 2nd yellow in qualifying and is out for the El Salvador game on March 28. Sucks, but either Guzan or Hesmer should be OK against ElSalv.

Agreed - Ching looked like absolute garbage. Not only ineffective, but also saw him go to the ground way too easily looking for a bitch foul a couple times - probably what I most hate in soccer. What's the deal with Eddie Johnson?

Hejduk had a fantastic game, probably stood out the most to me.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='746272' date='Feb 13 2009, 01:27 AM']Pearce...did not look good. He made me nervous with the ball at his feet and really don't believe he looked comfortable and looked to get rid of it too soon sometimes

Ching...He did nothing in this match IMO. He was not effective with his back to the goal. Jozy didn't light it up but I thought Sr. Bradley waited too long to replace Ching and Jozy barely had time to work up any sort of sweat. But, when Jozy got the ball they bracketed him with 2 marks and in the last 8 minutes we were able to apply some good pressure on offense that resulted in Bradley's 2nd goal.

I was disappointed that we didn't have Freddy and Maurice at this one. They along with Jozy, Sacha, Bradley are the future and by next summer I think will be big contributors. Will be interesting which of those will be starting. Still have Dempsey, Clark, Beasley and LD.

I love the way Hejduk plays. A right back who can help you out on the attack. He's a free spirit surfer dude that I hope will be part of the WC squad.

I'm pretty sure Howard's yellow was for the fake. The ref pulled it out after Howard pulled up. Which I found out today is his 2nd yellow in qualifying and is out for the El Salvador game on March 28. Sucks, but either Guzan or Hesmer should be OK against ElSalv.[/quote]

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='746280' date='Feb 13 2009, 03:49 AM']Agreed - Ching looked like absolute garbage. Not only ineffective, but also saw him go to the ground way too easily looking for a bitch foul a couple times - probably what I most hate in soccer. What's the deal with Eddie Johnson?

Hejduk had a fantastic game, probably stood out the most to me.[/quote]
Yeah Ching looked like garbage, i thought. But Eric Wynalda was praising him and saying he was playing well. If there looking for the next McBride in that 4-5-1, he isn't it. He is pretty soft, he doesn't distribute and it kills the midfield.

I think the defensive backfield looks pretty good for '10. Pearce is probably the weakest link there. Edu can play a outside defender can't he? Maybe we will see him there with the clutter in the midfield.

The youth in the midfield is something that is really exciting. Landon is 26. Bradley is younger than that and he is looking like the solution to the defensive midfielder. If he improves offensively like the flashes he showed against Mex. we could have a star. I didn't really see a lot out of Sasha against Mex. and i don't know much about him. Adu can and will light it up in'10.

At the striker position, if Jozy can get some PT at Villeareal it would help us a ton. I'm not sure if he went on loan somewhere or not. But a year and a half is a lot of time to become a lot better for that top position and i think he can be more dangerous than Landon, who completely dissappears sometimes.

Hopefully our lineup will look a little something like this

Jozy

Landon
Dempsey Adu Beasley
Bradley

Hedjuk Boca Gooch Edu

Howard

I would bet if we can get a good draw we could advance to the last 8. At least.

Heres a video of Hedjuk getting slapped by a mexican asst. coach.

[url="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/02/the_hejduk_incident.html?wprss=soccerinsider"]http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerins...s=soccerinsider[/url]

I would project that will the XI. I think Bradley would go with a 4-4-2 with LD and Jozy up top. There is definitely plenty of good midfielders to go around. I agree that Pearce is the weakest link. I would love to see Mikey, Freddy, Maurice, Deuce and Sacha on the field together. Put one of them at left back.

FIFA will most definitely suspend that Mex assistant. CPD should have taken him down to the ground right there and taken him in. LOL. Hejduk handled it very well though.

Not getting out of group play will be a major disappointment and failure and definitely with the right draw making out of the Round of 16 is a possibility. It's going to take small deliberate steps to get the MNT on the same level as the top Euro and S American squads.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='746452' date='Feb 14 2009, 12:18 AM']I would project that will the XI. I think Bradley would go with a 4-4-2 with LD and Jozy up top. There is definitely plenty of good midfielders to go around. I agree that Pearce is the weakest link. I would love to see Mikey, Freddy, Maurice, Deuce and Sacha on the field together. Put one of them at left back.

FIFA will most definitely suspend that Mex assistant. CPD should have taken him down to the ground right there and taken him in. LOL. Hejduk handled it very well though.

Not getting out of group play will be a major disappointment and failure and definitely with the right draw making out of the Round of 16 is a possibility. It's going to take small deliberate steps to get the MNT on the same level as the top Euro and S American squads.[/quote]
I was checking another forum and saw Johnathan Spectors name. I remember him playing last year and getting a concussion and i haven't seen anything about him since. I think Edu would be fine playing at a back as well.

But the way our players are bombarding the the leagues across the ocean, we are looking to get a ton of experience against top notch talent and it's so exciting.

• 1 month later...
How about

JOZY! Man.. i hope he can get some more time in Europe. He will be nasty once he comes of age. Things are looking up for the U.S.!

Great effort against a team that whooped us in the 2006 W.C. Heres to taking the Conacaf by storm!

[quote name='JC' post='760607' date='Apr 2 2009, 11:04 AM']How about

JOZY! Man.. i hope he can get some more time in Europe. He will be nasty once he comes of age. Things are looking up for the U.S.!

Great effort against a team that whooped us in the 2006 W.C. Heres to taking the Conacaf by storm![/quote]

YES!

Jozy will be a key factor a year from now. He is one of the players Bradley needs to develop for next summer. I was impressed how time after time Donovan passed up a shot to set up a teammate and striking gold 3 times with Jozy. Still don't understand the man-crush Coach Bradley has for Ching. I think he had 1 quality touch the entire match.

They played so much better than the El Salvador match. But, they need to be able to play great soccer outside of the US in hostile environments.

I believe we are the only team with a result in all 3 matches, unless I missed a final score somewhere, and should be sitting in first place with 7 points. But I haven't looked it up.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='780329' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:58 PM']got an online stream? ive been out of the loop for way too long[/quote]
It's on ESPN2. But you might be at work and i have a blog but it's just following the game rather than showing.

Your not missing much though...besides a major ass-kicking. The 4-3-3 is a big clusterfuck. They're pressuring us and we are playing kickball. We can't even find anything within the 18.

Oh..we look like fucking dung. Especially Masteroni.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='780338' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:27 PM']does he suck now or is it just hes playing poorly today kind of thing[/quote]
Probably just today. Everyone looks like shit. No one wants to take anyone on and nobody is wanting to be taken on.

But Pablo dived on the first goal and the guy just buried it in the upper 90.

Were lucky we aren't down four to nothing 25 minutes in.

Archived