Soccer Thread

If Conner Casey, Demarcus Beasley, or Sacha Klethsayitgdfkj ever see the field before the 2010 WC it's too early. Those guys need to be cut from the roster. Conner can't really play soccer..let alone come on before Torres or Adu. Demarcus needs to get in the MLS and get some regular playing time because he sucks now. Sacha might just be too young. Every pass he makes is shit and he added nothing but junk to the team yesterday. Yikes.

We have the gold cup coming up here in a few days. I'm guessing it's going to be a lot of the young guys playing like Adu and Torres since they didn't get any time in the Confed. I hope Davies and Altidore play as well. We need to start forming a nice young nucleus around our boys. They are the future to our next 2-3 WC's. Letting them beat up on shit central american teams can only boost confidence for them.

• 2 weeks later...
And on the Grenada match...keeping in mind the level of soccer Grenada is...I liked what I saw from several of the players. Robbie Rogers (feeds a sweet ball into the box), Beckerman (plays a solid defensive center mid) Holden looked good, Freddy (though at times was sloppy with the ball), Perkins looked great in the one serious save he had to make, Marshall, Pearce and Davies were solid as well.

I have no idea how close this Honduras team is to the one we played earlier and won 2-1 (with alot more of the A players), but will definitely be a bigger test since we have a young roster for this one. Feilhaber was called in for this match adding experience.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='784154' date='Jul 7 2009, 06:58 PM']And on the Grenada match...keeping in mind the level of soccer Grenada is...I liked what I saw from several of the players. Robbie Rogers (feeds a sweet ball into the box), Beckerman (plays a solid defensive center mid) Holden looked good, Freddy (though at times was sloppy with the ball), Perkins looked great in the one serious save he had to make, Marshall, Pearce and Davies were solid as well.

I have no idea how close this Honduras team is to the one we played earlier and won 2-1 (with alot more of the A players), but will definitely be a bigger test since we have a young roster for this one. Feilhaber was called in for this match adding experience.[/quote]
Yeah it should be interesting.

Hopefully Davies keeps up the good work. He is definately going for that #2 striker position with his excellent pace and playmaking.

And huge for Gooch. Hopefully he gets regular PT. This is only going to make him better for next years WC. Go get em' son!

Great win, control of Group B, we're actually scoring goals.

Freddy needs to play somewhere he can actually play, rather than have a Euro club on his resume and then get loaned to another Euro club. Looked at times he was trying to do too much.

Definitely some of these players will seriously push the "A" team for roster spots and playing time. Davies is trying real hard to be one of the forwards. Looking more and more like Altidore/Davies up top.

Should be 9 pts after Saturday's match with Haiti.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='784369' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:31 AM']Great win, control of Group B, we're actually scoring goals.

Freddy needs to play somewhere he can actually play, rather than have a Euro club on his resume and then get loaned to another Euro club. Looked at times he was trying to do too much.

Definitely some of these players will seriously push the "A" team for roster spots and playing time. Davies is trying real hard to be one of the forwards. Looking more and more like Altidore/Davies up top.

Should be 9 pts after Saturday's match with Haiti.[/quote]
I haven't watched the game yet..but it sounds like things went good.

I agree Freddy needs constant PT. He was killing the U-20's last year and I was hoping for big things especially after playing well before the conacaf.

And i think Davies and Jozy compliment each other perfectly. Davies is speed and Jozy is big and fast. Should work well off each other. Can't deny what Deuce was doing up top there either. I think Bob can't live and die off the set pieces if Davies and Jozy are up top. Neither play above very well..ala McBride.

Just to restate...I HATE the Mexican Men's National Team. Dirty pieces of crap. They were dirty at the USA/Mex match Feb 11 at Crew Stadium and now I just saw the highlights of their Gold Cup match with Panama. Even their coach got into it this time. Unbelievable. A Panama player was running down the field just outside the touch line and a coach kicked the player in the crotch. The Mexican Woody Hayes! The Panama player shoved the coach and both got sent off. He eventually had to be taken off on a stretcher because the Mex fans pelted him with objects and also pelted the refs after the game as they went into the tunnel. Mexico = Cleveland. Previous to this there were already players sent off in a scuffle so the game ended 9v10. I hope Mexico missed qualifying for the World Cup, they just don't deserve it. When the USA plays them in Aztec Stadium in August as part of the qualifying, I sincerely hope they put a major beat down on them...and take shields with them as well.

:rant:

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='784759' date='Jul 11 2009, 12:58 PM']Just to restate...I HATE the Mexican Men's National Team. Dirty pieces of crap. They were dirty at the USA/Mex match Feb 11 at Crew Stadium and now I just saw the highlights of their Gold Cup match with Panama. Even their coach got into it this time. Unbelievable. A Panama player was running down the field just outside the touch line and a coach kicked the player in the crotch. The Mexican Woody Hayes! The Panama player shoved the coach and both got sent off. He eventually had to be taken off on a stretcher because the Mex fans pelted him with objects and also pelted the refs after the game as they went into the tunnel. Mexico = Cleveland. Previous to this there were already players sent off in a scuffle so the game ended 9v10. I hope Mexico missed qualifying for the World Cup, they just don't deserve it. When the USA plays them in Aztec Stadium in August as part of the qualifying, I sincerely hope they put a major beat down on them...and take shields with them as well.

:rant:[/quote]
In Aztec? Yikes. I wouldn't feel safe going there if i were a US fan. But i agree. I hope we beat the living shit out of Mexico. I hope Bob brings his A-crew for this one and we drop a 5-0 on them.

And the way it's looking...Mexico might not qualify. They aren't even beating crap teams..

His move to Milan looks impressive on the resume, but I'm not quite so thrilled about the likely prospect of Onyewu having little regular playing time in the year before the world cup. If things go well, he'll probably end up a late-game substitute or perhaps start against lower-division teams in domestic cup competition or early champions' league matches. I would feel more optimistic about his odds if Milan had payed a transfer fee to acquire him, but as it is, it was a low-cost risk to sign him as a free agent.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='285283' date='Jun 22 2006, 12:38 AM'][size=7][b]GODDAMNIT BRUCE, FUCKING PUT EJ IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111[/b][/size]

[img]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/grant_wahl/07/12/ej.salary/p1_ej_0711.jpg[/img][img]http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/images/2005/02/23/TQ3J3WXx.jpg[/img]
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/gen/fifa/20050416/i/4088318756.jpg[/img][img]http://www.simeons.net/life/archives/usa_panama_20041013_johnson.jpg[/img][img]http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2005a/0327_mex_usa_ajm/tn/sm_web_131_ajm.jpg[/img]

mcbride is like my second favorite us national player ever, and hes a pretty cool dude, but... the future is now![/quote]
Wow. Crazy to see how fast EJ fell of the U.S. map. Not even making any rosters anymore. Not even to see if he can still compete.

Get this.

Mexico is dicking the people of the U.S. out of watching the game on the twelfth.

[url="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/07/telemundos_for_usa-mexico.html#more"]http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerins...exico.html#more[/url]

What a shitty move. I really don't want to have to watch this on the computer. Hopefully NBC will throw it on tv.

Hitting the field with a D league team today. Only real 3 real guys that have a chance at the roster in the future in Holden, Quaranta, and Ching. We will see how it goes.

3-1 Good Guys.

Nice to see we can pull out a game with our D squad and no calls going our way.

Panama is full of scumbags. Nothing but cheapshots out there all night. Moving on to the semis..

BTW Cooper and Ching up top together does nothing at all.

[quote name='JC' date='18 July 2009 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1247974981' post='785679']
Nice to see we can pull out a game with our D squad and no calls going our way.

Panama is full of scumbags. Nothing but cheapshots out there all night. Moving on to the semis..

BTW Cooper and Ching up top together does nothing at all.
[/quote]

Yeah, that Mexican ref clearly had his mind made up about the USA. Cooper played really bad I thought and couldn't believe he was the one to take the PK, at least he made it. Left a couple goals out on the pitch (Ching, Holden). Rematch with Honduras next. I would like to have seen Rogers have more of an impact. Still like Beckerman. Bradley/Beckerman central midfield next summer??? Like Holden as well. Alot to happen in the next 11 months.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' date='19 July 2009 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1248036372' post='785717']
Yeah, that Mexican ref clearly had his mind made up about the USA. Cooper played really bad I thought and couldn't believe he was the one to take the PK, at least he made it. Left a couple goals out on the pitch (Ching, Holden). Rematch with Honduras next. I would like to have seen Rogers have more of an impact. Still like Beckerman. Bradley/Beckerman central midfield next summer??? Like Holden as well. Alot to happen in the next 11 months.
[/quote]
There is no doubt we have a ton of young talent. Beckerman has played well as a possession center midfielder. He might have trouble taking over Edu in the XI but he could be a guy that would allow Mike to roam a bit and be more offensive and not lose any offense. Holden i think is a guy really to watch..young and exciting. He should be a reserve in 2010. I like Rogers a lot..but he misses so many open chances to try to make his way i think. Better vision would be awesome out of him. Ching definatly makes the U.S. roster over Cooper. And we cannot take both. And this is only if McBride doesn't try to make his way back out onto the team.

We shall see against Honduras. I wish Feilhaber could be called in to play. Someone young that needs some PT.

Gooch on TV tonight and gave up the first goal on poor marking or he was expecting his GK to reach the ball. Only first goal with the team so i will cut him some slack..but i'm in the same boat as GTG. If Gooch rots on the bench until 2010 rather than his regular PT in belgium it's going to hurt us bad. We have two cornerstones in the back in boca and gooch. They have both also played regular PT. If we have 3 duds back there with boca were just going to get bombed. I wish he would have went to Ajax who he was also linked too. Or even Madrid were he could have played against Ronaldo and Kaka in practice every day.

Not looking so good anymore in my eyes.

I think the US fitness won the day again. Good overall possession and had opportunities throughout. REALLY like Stuart Holden. Also Beckerman. Great combo on the 2nd goal, Cooper off? They didn't dwell too much and didn't show any replay that was very conclusive. I think we'll play the dirty birds from mexico but I'd rather play Costa Rica. If the dirty birds play the crowd will be swarming with their fans.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' date='23 July 2009 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1248399595' post='786263']
I think the US fitness won the day again. Good overall possession and had opportunities throughout. REALLY like Stuart Holden. Also Beckerman. Great combo on the 2nd goal, Cooper off? They didn't dwell too much and didn't show any replay that was very conclusive. I think we'll play the dirty birds from mexico but I'd rather play Costa Rica. If the dirty birds play the crowd will be swarming with their fans.
[/quote]
Besides the rare counter attack..we were in their half the whole night. Hondorus was way too timid..but i think we should have scored many more goals. Holden is an absolute stud. No doubt he will be in South Africa in 2010. I think Beckerman should be Mike Bradleys main backup for 2010. I can't understand why Quaranta doesn't play. He was an absolute playmaker out there when he came on. A lot more than Rogers. Maybe Quaranta should play striker over Davy who is pretty useless.

Bring on Mexico. Can't beat beating them twice within 2-3 weeks. One with the D team and once with the A team.

Egg...laid.

Fail to cash in on first half opportunities + Go in the tank after a bullcrap bogus PK = get smoked by the dirty little mexicans.

Agree with the announcers that other than Ching, probably only 1 or 2 players from this roster are considered for the rest of qualifying. I would think Holden for sure. In trying to get in Bradley's head I think he might consider Cooper because he seems to be in the right place at the right time. I still like Beckerman but if everyone's healthy and fit there are just so many midfielders ahead of him.

Ugh...freaking mexico. And thanks to the massive immigration from the south, it was more a home game for them than it was our side...in Giants Stadium.

Hope the A team gets fired up and pounds the crap out of their A side on Aug 12.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' date='26 July 2009 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1248657027' post='786631']
Egg...laid.

Fail to cash in on first half opportunities + Go in the tank after a bullcrap bogus PK = get smoked by the dirty little mexicans.

Agree with the announcers that other than Ching, probably only 1 or 2 players from this roster are considered for the rest of qualifying. I would think Holden for sure. In trying to get in Bradley's head I think he might consider Cooper because he seems to be in the right place at the right time. I still like Beckerman but if everyone's healthy and fit there are just so many midfielders ahead of him.

Ugh...freaking mexico. And thanks to the massive immigration from the south, it was more a home game for them than it was our side...in Giants Stadium.

Hope the A team gets fired up and pounds the crap out of their A side on Aug 12.
[/quote]
Absolutely disgusting. I only saw the highlights but the PK was just an unreal call. I can't believe Quaranta cannot get a chance. The dude is unreal on the attack..at least when i watched.

Oh well. Mexico can take it's big time squad and whoop on our C squad. They have some nutz coming to their face in August.

Not like this isn't known but Tim Howard is such a badass. It should be no time before he is playing for a major premier team.

More good news..Two USMNT players playing last night and one was playing for a english team. W/ rumors swirling that Landon might be making a move to Serie A to play w/ Rico..it's no doubt this team is heading in the right direction.

And more of note..Deuce started at RW for Fullham and EJ came on as a late sub. With the lack of strikers it wouldn't suprise me to see EJ on the roster for the 12th.

I'm hoping Mcbride is going to come back and take a roster spot to make sure Ching or Cooper don't see the team.

My 23 as of today

GK
1.Timmy.(No doubt)
2.Brad Guzan (Great backup to Tim)
3.Troy Perkins (Great Gold Cup)

I would like to see Casey come in one last time..because he has been great so far in the MLS and especially in the all-star game. But those three are probably the most set of all.

Defense
1.Gooch
2.Boca
3.Demerit
4.Spector
5.Cherundolo
6.Hedjuk
7.Pearce

starters

Demerit-Gooch-Boca-Spector

Cherundolo could take Jay's spot if he is in form.

Bornstein could make the cut somewhere..although I think he sucks. Chad Marshall is right there as well. Spectacular Gold cup. Could bump Frankie off the roster..although i hope they don't.

Midfielders

1.Landon
2.JR.
3.Duece
4.Rico
5.Edu
6.Jones
7.Holden
8.Torres
9.Benny

Could see a ton of formations out of these guys. And possibly one more mid here depending on if they don't want to bring slop like Ching or Coop in. Since we have three defensive mids one could swing as a defender as well.

My starting four Landon--Jr--Duece
------------------------Rico

Now Jermaine Jones could replace Rico at any time. Any time you bring a guy over good enough to play for Germany you have a good one.

ST
1.Jozy
2.Davies
3.McBride
4.Adu

Please no big shitty beanstalks like Ching, Cooper, or Casey. McBride is the guy if you go that way. Jozy and Davies start. They work well off each other. McBride is first sub in for these guys.

Looks like a sleeper this year. Let's not get placed in the death group again this year..

• 2 weeks later...
Ching starting over Jozy?

What
the
Fuck Bob.

It sounds like sidecuntshow bob decided to try to protect a 1-0 lead in tenth minute tonight. Lord. It didn't work against Brazil up by two. It's not going to work in Azteca either..

Archived