Soccer Thread

Good to see our two strikers making big pushes for PT. Jozy is killing it at Hull. Looks like he is going to get a lot of PT at Hull before WC. Davies has been just as stellar at Sochoux. But hasn't cracked the starting lineup. Cooper is on fire at 1860 and a regular starter. Looking good in that sense.

Huge win tonight vs. Salvador and the refs.

Some observations.

-Landon Donavon. I questioned him being the best player on this team earlier this summer. There is not a doubt in my mind I was wrong. He is heads above everyone out there and puts all of our players in a position to make a play. Two assists tonight and was fouled just about every single time he got the ball.
-Deuce. Should have had damn near 5 goals tonight. One was taken back that shouldn't have been, but Clint needs to work on finishing. Netting those goals are going to be what takes him from good and Fullham to great and Man U. The showboating shit can't go on either. If were up three go ahead Clint, but we need three points. Keep your head in the game mate.
-Jozy. Looked good out there. Netted the game winner. I would like to see him work on speed and agility drills. If he can get some killer speed he will be so nasty. Oh and the offsides and the touch could be worked on a lot. Sky is the limit for Jozy.
-Charlie D. Second best player out there tonight. Went right at the defense and almost got one or two. Looks good and the ball and can make some people miss. Charlie is the perfect pair to Jozy and they work together well. Hopefully they can work together great soon.
-Bradley and Feilhaber- Decent. Wasn't a lot of possesion and holding between the two. Both made very good plays and went at the goal. Might be our WC pairing if Jermaine Jones doesn't show more.
-Back line. Fuckin' blew. These guys sucked tonight. Johnathan Bornstein along with Conor Casey and Brian Ching should not see the field. Ever. Terrible clearance led to goal. Spector is slow as fuck and isn't on the same page with Tim. Boca has lost a step(s?). Gooch and Jay are sorely missed.
Tim. As usual. Great and composed.
-Stuey Holden. This guy is a stud. He needs to find a starting spot somewhere. What a playmaker. Hopefully a european move is on the horizon.

And what the fuck is up with having a Honduran ref? Especially when were in a heat with them. Bullshit. Oh well. We need 3 wednesday.

Good that they snatched 3 pts out of that, especially since Honduras won too. I thought play in the defensive end was sloppy, by many players. Way too many giveaways. Bornstein definitely gets the doghouse for that rec-level "clearance" straight into the box...numbskull. Holden will either find the Starting XI or become a SuperSub. He needs to be on the field.

Agree with the obs from JC above. Some concern for Boca. Wait to see how things go Wednesday with T&T. Absolute must to get the 3 points from that one.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' date='06 September 2009 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1252273272' post='799058']
Holden will either find the Starting XI or become a SuperSub. He needs to be on the field.
[/quote]
Stu's time with the dynamo is coming to an end. I'm surprised it hasn't already. This guy is going to find either and italian or spanish league to hone his skills. Thank god Bob put him in the Gold Cup. Kid's becoming a star for us.

A win on the road is huge, as only two teams T&T is one have lost a home game. And it's completely in reach as T&T has recently been eliminated. And since Mexico and Hondurus are battling tomorrow night. Lets gain some ground and win this whole bitch so we don't get a group of death.

Freaking Bornstein is starting tonight per ussoccer.com Twitter. Crap like that is going to be our demise. Starting is Howard, Spector-Gooch-Boca-buttstein, Deuce-Rico-Jr-LD, Stanky Leg Duo up top. Subs are STUART HOLDEN, Guzan, Marshall, Torres, Ching, Cherundolo, Feilhaber. Only option to replace buttstein is Cherundolo. Bradley should have gone and done that IMO. Only a few more possible points left out there in WCQ, no time to screw around.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' date='09 September 2009 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1252533870' post='799954']
Freaking Bornstein is starting tonight per ussoccer.com Twitter. Crap like that is going to be our demise. Starting is Howard, Spector-Gooch-Boca-buttstein, Deuce-Rico-Jr-LD, Stanky Leg Duo up top. Subs are STUART HOLDEN, Guzan, Marshall, Torres, Ching, Cherundolo, Feilhaber. Only option to replace buttstein is Cherundolo. Bradley should have gone and done that IMO. Only a few more possible points left out there in WCQ, no time to screw around.
[/quote]
Unfuckingbelievable. If were going to throw slop out there we might as well tinker with Castillo out there or put Frankie back out there. Bornstein blows. Bob Bradley is playing with fire. If we lose to T&T we could be in trouble.

And get Rico outta there. We need to keep Feilhaber out there with Bradley.

Hopefully Dolo Torres and Stu are our subs tonight.

Oh and next thing you know, Bobs going to be giving Sacha and Beas a call for next months camp. Keeping the MLS tradition alive and well..

Well, we're in 1st...for now. If we don't play better and have better personnel in certain positions we could be in big trouble.

After the games on October 10 we could go from 1st to 3rd and only be a point away from 4th. Winning on the road seems to be a tall order for us and Honduras has been scoring alot of goals in 2 out of their last 3 matches.

Current:

USA 16 - could lose to Hon
mex 15 - prob beat El Salv
Hon 13 - could beat USA
CoRica 12 - should beat T&T

Then it could be:

mex 18
Hon 16 - ahead of USA on goal diff
USA 16
CoRica 15

Last games on Oct 14:

USA - CoRica
T&T - mex - mex could/should win
ElSalv - Hon - Hon should win

It could come down to the last game and the winner is in and the loser is playing 5th place team from South America in a playoff. But if we actually beat Honduras we can still win the group.

3 points is, well 3 points. It would have been nice if Mexico drew to take some pressure off..but all we have to do is win out and were the top of the board.

-Landon, Davies, and Jozy seemed the only guys motivated to kick some ass last night. Unfortunately it's not a three man game or we would have won by 2 million.

-Gooch needs to find some PT at AC or were going to be fucked in WC. He looked very very rusty last night.

-Bradley and Rico just doesn't work. There was no midfield possesion yesterday. They need to be paired with Benny or Landon with Holden on the outside. Nice goal by Rico though. Mikes looked bad the past couple of games.

-Deuce wasn't feeling too good last night. I could tell. He needed to be yanked way earlier. Looked like goo out there. Get your shit fixed up deucey.

-Borny still blew. Not as bad..but he sucks. He missed a couple of balls and is just a fucking liability out there. No matter how quick he is. He needs to be replaced. Please Bob.

-Damn lucky to come away with 3 points tonight and not zero. Thank Tim Howard and a little luck. Fortunately Davies and Jozy look like one of the most promising young duos there is. I wish Jozy wouldn't have been yanked so early last night and Clint instead but we have good times ahead. Win out fellas.

P.S. Fuck Mexico..and while were at it..the stealers too.

• 4 weeks later...
[img]http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/luis_bueno/02/06/us.mexico.notebook/frankie-hejduk-1.jpg[/img]

"[b]Coming to fuck you up Honduras[/b]"

Huge game Saturday. Win or tie gets us in to the WC. Going up against Honduras, a team fighting for a spot too and a team that played us very tough on our turf. Wow. Gonna be a good one. Some things i'm looking for

-Who is going to step up and take Deuces spot on the right. Ruled out with a shoulder sprain saturday..will be interesting to see where Bob goes with it. 3 guys vying for the spot I imagine are Torres, Stuey, and Benny. I think Benny gets the nod first. Stuart is so good off the bench that I think you have to put Benny out there first. Hopefully he doesn't dissappear out on the right. I would like to see Torres get it. Good in possession. Something we need desperately Saturday.

-Frankie is back for the Nats. Fuck yeah! The last game I watched with Frankie he was flying up the flank and just playing awesome soccer. He comes down with a leg injury and bam, Bornstein is taking over for him. What the Fuck? Clint's injury could be a blessing in disguise in getting Frankie back out there. He has so much heart. If there is anyone we need out there on Honduras' turf, it's Frankie Hejduk. Please play him Bob.

-Yellow card situation. If we come up short on saturday and get some yellow cards especially Landon we might be looking to a 2 game playoff with Argentina. Don't wanna take the chance there. That's why a win is so important Saturday.

Looking for

--------Charlie Jozy
Landon-----------------Benny
-------Jr.
---------------Rico
Spector-Boca-Gooch-Frankie

Please get better soon Jay, Deuce, and Jermaine. Oh and if Connor Casey sees the field over Kenny Cooper, or well anyone for that matter then Bob should be fired on spot. Same rule applies if Bornstein sees the field.

[quote name='JC' date='07 October 2009 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1254956337' post='812754']
Oh and if Connor Casey sees the field over Kenny Cooper, or well anyone for that matter then Bob should be fired on spot. Same rule applies if Bornstein sees the field.
[/quote]

Word.

First I heard about Deuce. I think you're right about Benny getting the start, but I would love to see Stu get a start and get some serious PT. Frankie HeyDude needs to be on the defensive right flank. I noticed a difference in some of our stuggles this summer when he was injured. Bornstein simply needs removed from the Player Pool. Truthfully if players like that can remain in the Pool and get called in for senior team duty, our national program is still significantly behind Europe and South America.

Gonna be a tough match but I want to see a dominant performance and 3 points.

I honestly see no reason why Bob has a crush on Conor. He has done nothing for the U.S. men. Nothing. Bornstein had a good game against Messi. Messi isn't even really world class when it comes to int'l comp. Some of the shit makes me scratch my head. I'd rather see some of the U-20 duds take the field over Casey and Bornstein.

CONOR CASEY? WHAT THE FUCK!! I'll take it! Conor still sucks to me..but props to getting us to the 2010 WC! It's too bad Bobs going to reward him with a spot for that. Let's just hope he doesn't take Jozy's starting spot. I wonder whats up with Jozy not starting. Odd. He needs all the PT he can get.

Who the hell cares! Were on our way to SA w/out having to face Argentina in a playoff game!

USA USA USA USA!!!

Charlie was in a serious crash..

He's in stable condition but may have sustained career threatening injuries. Say a prayer for him and for the woman that was killed in the crash.

Get better Charlie..

Looks like it's either a broken tibia/fibula or femur have all been reported. Also been reported to be in serious condition. I don't care if he doesn't play again, I just want Charlie to live through this. Just seemed like a great guy. What a shame.

I would imagine SA is off for Charlie. He played awesome there this past summer.

[img]http://www.sportingnews.com/images/146620/article.jpeg[/img]

The back half of the car. Were lucky Charlie got out of this accident alive. Let's hope he survives it. God bless you Charlie and the other two. Sad, sad, day for U.S. soccer.

Bornstein? Unbelievable.

What a comeback after almost nonexistent defense for most of the first half.

Bornstein will get alot of credit for that great goal, but his defense still leaves ALOT to be desired. I saw uncountable bad touches and decisions on his part. Plus CRC owned him on that flank.

Gooch could have serious injury.

They played for #9 tonight. I pray Charlie will be OK someday. Terrible tragedy.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' date='14 October 2009 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1255573146' post='816491']
Bornstein? Unbelievable.

What a comeback after almost nonexistent defense for most of the first half.

Bornstein will get alot of credit for that great goal, but his defense still leaves ALOT to be desired. I saw uncountable bad touches and decisions on his part. Plus CRC owned him on that flank.

Gooch could have serious injury.

They played for #9 tonight. I pray Charlie will be OK someday. Terrible tragedy.
[/quote]
Defense looks like slop. God. Borny got burnt multiple times. Dolo wasn't terrible. Boca just doesn't look good at cornerback. Boy do we need a talent infusion in our defensive line. Jesus. Jay Demerit should help when he comes back, but the way Gooch landed..definately looks like we could possibly be without him, meaning more bornstein with Boca in the middle.

Conor and Jozy do not work well together. The two slow banger guys isn't going to work unless were trying to slow stuff down. Thats why Charlie was so important, he could pair with Jozy so well. They complimented each other well. Makes me think Deuce could be playing striker at the WC. Fine with me. I don't want to see Casey and Jozy and Cooper in any starting XI.

The way it looks today, we would get bombed in the WC. Hopefully there is a spark plug somewhere in the next 8 months. Charlie will unlikely be available..we need to explore options there.

A guy that is intriguing is Robbie Rogers. A lot of pace, needs to work on finishing but could be a dark horse.

Looks like injuries might dick us in the dubya see..

Oh and that second strike by CRC for a goal was amazing. Wow.

Solid analysis. Where we really are lacking is in the central midfield though. It is what is causing all of the problems on both ends of the pitch. On defense, the lack of tight marking by both center mids caused the defenders to constantly end up out of position because they had to step up an challenge an unmarked man on the ball. Really made it easy for CR to burn down the flanks when your outside defenders are cheating to the inside. On the offensive end, both center mids were non-existant. Bradley's goal not withstanding, they had no influence what-so-ever (until Torres cam in... another issue. CR would clear the ball out to the 18-25 yard area and have miles between them and the US mids. You can't give that much space in a SAY soccer game let alone a World Cup Qualifier. If we can get Maurice Edu and Jermaine Jones back prior to out World Cup tune-ups, it will make world of difference. O

n defense, I think we really need to get Hjeduk back in there. He adds better veteran leadership than Boca does and has more confidence and determination than any of the USA backs. With Gooch out for 3-5 months, I think Chad Marshall will get a lot of time as well. I want to see the recent transfer, Edgar Castillo, get his shot as well. At least we need to see if he can hold down the left defensive spot or not.

With Davies out, we definitely can't go Big-Big up top. Although it did work well last night with Jozy's determination and Conner's exchanges working with Donovan. I think we need to either put Holden, Rogers, or Dempsey up top with a rotation of Altidor, Casey, and Cooper. You might even push Torres into that spot as well, which I think would work amazing working with Donovan.

"Likely" Starting 11 (post Davies & Gooch injuries):

Altidore - Dempsey

Holden - Bradley - Torres - Donovan

Spector - Demerit - Bocanegra - Cherundolo

My Starting 11 (post Davies & Gooch injuries):

Altidore - Dempsey

Holden - Edu - Jones - Torres - Donovan

Spector - Demerit - Bocanegra

[quote name='starkesn' date='15 October 2009 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1255644671' post='816781']
Solid analysis. Where we really are lacking is in the central midfield though. It is what is causing all of the problems on both ends of the pitch. On defense, the lack of tight marking by both center mids caused the defenders to constantly end up out of position because they had to step up an challenge an unmarked man on the ball. Really made it easy for CR to burn down the flanks when your outside defenders are cheating to the inside. On the offensive end, both center mids were non-existant. Bradley's goal not withstanding, they had no influence what-so-ever (until Torres cam in... another issue. CR would clear the ball out to the 18-25 yard area and have miles between them and the US mids. You can't give that much space in a SAY soccer game let alone a World Cup Qualifier. If we can get Maurice Edu and Jermaine Jones back prior to out World Cup tune-ups, it will make world of difference. O

n defense, I think we really need to get Hjeduk back in there. He adds better veteran leadership than Boca does and has more confidence and determination than any of the USA backs. With Gooch out for 3-5 months, I think Chad Marshall will get a lot of time as well. I want to see the recent transfer, Edgar Castillo, get his shot as well. At least we need to see if he can hold down the left defensive spot or not.

With Davies out, we definitely can't go Big-Big up top. Although it did work well last night with Jozy's determination and Conner's exchanges working with Donovan. I think we need to either put Holden, Rogers, or Dempsey up top with a rotation of Altidor, Casey, and Cooper. You might even push Torres into that spot as well, which I think would work amazing working with Donovan.

"Likely" Starting 11 (post Davies & Gooch injuries):

Altidore - Dempsey

Holden - Bradley - Torres - Donovan

Spector - Demerit - Bocanegra - Cherundolo

My Starting 11 (post Davies & Gooch injuries):

Altidore - Dempsey

Holden - Edu - Jones - Torres - Donovan

Spector - Demerit - Bocanegra
[/quote]
I agree 100%. The problem is Jr. is never going to get benched until Bob is gone. I like Jr. but he hasn't been a factor since the Mexico game where he scored two. He has a good outside touch, but he doesn't hold the ball well enough, always always always tries to push up and he is essentially a defensive holding mid. I would love to see the US bring in a great CAM somewhere. It would make a world of difference.

Until then, we need to keep Torres in. He is the best guy we have at holding the ball and distributing that we have aside of LD. Rico has been junk, yet still gets PT. Benny looked alright last night. I think he and Torres would be my combo in the midfield for now until Jermaine Jones gets in, which won't be soon enough.

Agree on Castillo. I can't believe that he hasn't been called in yet. I have no clue what were waiting on. I think Chad Marshall will take Gooch's spot. He looked good in qualifying when Gooch got hurt.

I also think Deuce takes Davies' spot. But I want to see what Robbie Rogers can do. He seems to have good pace, why not try it out. Probably won't happen, but definately intriguing

I haven't had a chance to go through this thread, so I am not sure if you all know about this. I have a friend involved in a group that is going to raise money for soccer based charities in Africa in honor of the World Cup. It is a pretty cool idea. Here is a article on the plan and a link to their site. Basically, they are going to get a bunch of people together and drive from Spain to S. Africa for the WC.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091020/lf_afp/fblwc2010ustravelcharity_20091020071551

http://nomadicnation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=14&lang=en

For those with the time, means, and guts, this might be a cool way to make your way to the WC.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='JC' date='16 October 2009 - 08:07 AM' timestamp='1255691247' post='816881']
I agree 100%. The problem is Jr. is never going to get benched until Bob is gone. I like Jr. but he hasn't been a factor since the Mexico game where he scored two. He has a good outside touch, but he doesn't hold the ball well enough, always always always tries to push up and he is essentially a defensive holding mid. I would love to see the US bring in a great CAM somewhere. It would make a world of difference.

Until then, we need to keep Torres in. He is the best guy we have at holding the ball and distributing that we have aside of LD. Rico has been junk, yet still gets PT. Benny looked alright last night. I think he and Torres would be my combo in the midfield for now until Jermaine Jones gets in, which won't be soon enough.

Agree on Castillo. I can't believe that he hasn't been called in yet. I have no clue what were waiting on. I think Chad Marshall will take Gooch's spot. He looked good in qualifying when Gooch got hurt.

I also think Deuce takes Davies' spot. But I want to see what Robbie Rogers can do. He seems to have good pace, why not try it out. Probably won't happen, but definately intriguing
[/quote]

Looks like at least Castillo will get a good look in the next few US friendlies. [url="http://goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2009/11/02/1599895/castillo-gets-usmnt-call-for-slovakia-denmark-friendlies"]Castillo Called Up[/url]

[quote name='starkesn' date='03 November 2009 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1257223981' post='822533']
Looks like at least Castillo will get a good look in the next few US friendlies. [url="http://goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2009/11/02/1599895/castillo-gets-usmnt-call-for-slovakia-denmark-friendlies"]Castillo Called Up[/url]
[/quote]
I saw that. Definately cool. Can't be worse than bornstein.

Here is a scary thought though, with both our starting CB's out..Bob inserts Borny in at CB. YIKES.

I wouldn't mind seeing EJ called in either. Jozy worked well with Davies. EJ is even quicker and he is at Fullham which isn't exactly a B league team. He may not get PT but he is there. Will be interesting to see how injuries work everything.

Not impressed with Castillo or Torres not on the roster for Slovakia. They better be on the field for Denmark.

I am excited to see what EJ and Cunningham can do..Marshall as well.

If Bob starts Sacha and Casey i'm going to pull my hair out.

[quote name='JC' date='09 November 2009 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1257804796' post='825187']
Not impressed with Castillo or Torres not on the roster for Slovakia. They better be on the field for Denmark.

I am excited to see what EJ and Cunningham can do..Marshall as well.

If Bob starts Sacha and Casey i'm going to pull my hair out.
[/quote]

I think Castillo and Torres were not released by there Mexican clubs. Obviously the same goes for Donovan, Holden, and Ching. I would expect to see most of the usual guys against Denmark.

[quote name='starkesn' date='09 November 2009 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1257819836' post='825267']
I think Castillo and Torres were not released by there Mexican clubs. Obviously the same goes for Donovan, Holden, and Ching. I would expect to see most of the usual guys against Denmark.
[/quote]
Yeah..I didn't even think about the game being on a Saturday coinciding with their games. Oh well. Hopefully we get a A squad with those guys against Denmark and hopefully we start playing like we did in the Confed semi and final legs.

Jozy needs to be paired with Cunningham one game and EJ the other. We need to find out who he meshes with the best in case C.D. isn't ready..which i'm going to guess he won't be.

Archived