Soccer Thread

[quote name='JC' date='11 November 2009 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1257955093' post='825885']
Yeah..I didn't even think about the game being on a Saturday coinciding with their games. Oh well. Hopefully we get a A squad with those guys against Denmark and hopefully we start playing like we did in the Confed semi and final legs.

Jozy needs to be paired with Cunningham one game and EJ the other. We need to find out who he meshes with the best in case C.D. isn't ready..which i'm going to guess he won't be.
[/quote]

Looks like Castillo is going to get his shot. [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/11/15/us.roster.ap/index.html"]Link[/url]

Good deal. Now lets hope Bob actually plays him.

I can't get over how bad the whole team looked Saturday. Jozy and Connor might have been the worse paired striker performance since the Gold Cup. They look god awful. Two big slow guys just don't work. They couldn't even get open for balls and made just about zero runs. EJ looked better than both of them and he didn't look good at all. Didn't get to see much from Jeff Cunningham.

Going forward, we should probably just move Deuce up top with Jozy and hope Jozy can get his shit together. The midfield played pretty well, but once we got into their third we just couldn't do anything with it.

[quote name='JC' date='18 November 2009 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1258572299' post='829886']
lol. Bob starts Bornstink over him.

I can't wait until Bob is gone. He is a idiot. Bornstein sucks at the int'l level
[/quote]

Unfortunately with US coaches at first it seems they were an outstanding hire but fade within a couple of years. I don't know if it's we just don't have what it takes in US coaching or US soccer fans have unrealistic expectations. US Soccer Fed should seriously consider doing what they did with the Women's program and hire an international coach.

Bradley has a serious man-crush on Bornstein. Sad.

And in a glaring reality check of the level of MLS play, writer Ridge Mahoney ranked the best defenders in the MLS. Here is his top ten left backs:

LEFT BACKS
[i][b]1. Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)[/b][/i]
2. Todd Dunivant (Los Angeles)
3. Gino Padula (Columbus)
4. Chris Wingert (Real Salt Lake)
5. Jim Brennan (Toronto FC)
6. Mark Burch (D.C. United)
7. Gonzalo Segares (Chicago)
8. Jay Heaps (New England)
9. Jair Benitez (FC Dallas)
10. Leo Gonzalez (Seattle)

If that's the best we have...we suck

Bit of a homer but I would take Padula any day over Bornstein (in MLS). Plus he has way cooler hair.

Wah, Wah, Waaaaaaahhh.

Wow. That's bad. Better hope Gooch and Jay are ready for WC2010 or were flaming out. LD better be on his game or the strikers will never see the ball. Bornstein should get hurt so Bob can't play him. And Jermaine Jones should be healthy so we don't have to watch Rico play terrible possession.

For having two central defensive mids our there.. we look like garbage in the midfield. Benny and Cunningham to an extent are the only reason we have looked okay.

[quote]Seeded -

Brazil
Spain
Germany
England
Argentina
Italy
France
South Africa

Group 2 -

Holland
Portugal
Denmark
Serbia
Switzerland
Greece
Slovakia
Slovenia

Group 3 -

Chile
Uruguay
Paraguay
Ivory Coast
Ghana
Cameroon
Nigeria
Algeria

Group 4 -

USA
Mexico
Honduras
Australia
Japan
South Korea
North Korea
New Zealand[/quote]

The seeds. Mark me down as nervous. I hope we get South Africa as our seed our we could be in trouble..especially the way we have been playing.

LOL.

I predict (with our WC draw luck) we get Spain, Portugal or Holland & Ivory Coast...and get toasted.

Not much of a positive outlook from me at this point, I'm afraid.

Defense...poor

Midfield...potential, but Bradley doesn't get the right combos in there

Forwards...lacking playmaker, maybe unless Davies makes a comeback for next summer but I haven't heard anything about him for awhile and don't know the outlook on him. We need speed to pair with Altidore (if he plays well).

Spain is...Spain, #1 in the World

Portugal...Ronaldo would destroy our defense...would cause Howard to blow a gasket yelling at our defenders. Could you imagine Bornstein trying to defend Ronaldo?

Holland...#3 in the World, great GK, we wouldn't score a goal

Ivory Coast...Drogba and Kalou would feast on our defense

However, that would put 2 of the top 5 teams in the same group and that is unlikely really...or is it? LOL

What are you thinking JC?

Group of death, I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet FIFA replays that Spain U.S. matchup as well.

If we don't get grouped with South Africa, I don't think we will make it out of our group. With the way we have been playing, we shouldn't be in the top 60 in the FIFA rankings. Our strikers have been garbage. Midfield has too. Bob refuses to infuse any young blood like Castillo in the line-up instead going with Borny every game. If that happens when Gooch and Jay come back I'd rather see us flail out and wait another long four years just to see Bob gone.

Hopefully a drawing South Africa, Serbia, and Algeria come our way or else, were toast.

Regarding Charlie though,
[quote]Davies expects to make full recovery
by Paul Kennedy, Monday, Nov 30, 2009 7:00 AM ET
[USA] In his first interview since being seriously injured in a car accident that killed another passenger, U.S. national team forward Charlie Davies said he expected to make a full recovery. Asked by Jeremy Schaap on ESPN's "SportsCenter," "By the World Cup?", Davies responded, "By the World Cup."

[b]"They think I'm going to make a full recovery and the doctors said they'll be looking forward to seeing the World Cup this summer," said Davies.[/b]

Asked what it was like to survive an accident that killed someone else, "I mean, that's hard to say. I know I've become a lot more emotional since the accident, and it's definitely one of those things that really shakes you up and has me thinking at night a lot. My mind will be racing, and it's one of those things that I think eventually I'll get over, but it's definitely a difficult time and it's a time that's made me grow as a person."

Schaap interviewed Davies in Delaware, where the U.S. striker is continuing his rehabilitation under the direction of Jim Hashimoto, U.S. Soccer's head rehabilitation trainer. Also working with Hashimoto is injured U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu.

Sochaux president Alexandre Lacombe told lequipe.fr, the web site of French sports daily L'Equipe, Sunday that Davies "might be able to begin jogging in February" but that it was too soon to talk about a date when he could begin playing again.

Lacombe added that Davies should remain in Delaware until the end of December or beginning of January before returning to France to continue his rehabilitation. "He is recovering rather quickly and well even if he cannot walk on his own," said Lacombe.[/quote]

It's just to bad that he won't be in game shape, and rusty. He and Jozy do well together though and this allows Deuce to play right and Landon left.

If Charlie isn't ready, which chances are, that he probably wont be, Deuce has five goals in five game for Fullham. Two of them up top last game, so he will have to move up there because Cunningham or Eddie just aren't very good. Jozy hasn't been either.

This team hinges on Landon D. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt going wherever he is going.

I LOL'd at Borny trying to guard Ronaldo.

• 4 months later...
Had to post this...Ryan Pore is from my area and is the most successful soccer player to come from around here. Real nice guy. Met his parents too. My son has a signed KC Wizards jersey of his from his time there. He was All-Ohio in high school and was successful at Tulsa as well being considered for the soccer version of the Heisman (I completely forget what the award is called).

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Timbers' Pore scores in third game in a row

[/size][b][size=1]April 25th, 2010 11:49PM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][D-2 PRO LEAGUE][/color] [b]Ryan Pore[/b] scored in his third straight game to earn the Portland Timbers, last year's regular-season champion, a 1-1 tie at the defending champion Montreal Impact in front of 13,034 at Saputo Stadium on Sunday afternoon. For all the weekend D-2 Pro League action ...
Montreal equalized on a penalty kick by [b]Nevio Pizzolitto[/b] in the in the 82nd minute when Portland defender [b]Quavas Kirk[/b] was called for the foul inside the box on the Impact’s [b]Roberto Brown[/b].

The Impact picked up its first point of the season with the tie. [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37799/timbers-pore-scores-in-third-game-in-a-row.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37799/timbers-pore-scores-in-third-game-in-a-row.html[/url]

[font="'Trebuchet MS"][size="5"][color="#333399"][size=5][b]
[/b][/size][/color][/size][/font]

Great job Ryan

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Pore gets two more goals for Portland

[/size][b][size=1]April 30th, 2010 1:33AM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][D-2 PRO LEAGUE] [/color][b]Ryan Pore[/b] scored two more goals to lead the Portland Timbers to a 2-1 win over the Vancouver Whitecaps in a battle of 2011 MLS expansion teams.
Pore's first goal was a free kick from 25 yards in the seventh minute and the winner, his sixth goal in Portland's first four games, came in the 86th minute.

It came only a minute after Timbers defender [b]Mamadou Danso[/b] was sent off after receiving his second yellow card. [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37871/pore-gets-two-more-goals-for-portland.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/37871/pore-gets-two-more-goals-for-portland.html[/url]

• 1 month later...
[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Sao Paulo stadium is dropped

[/size][b][size=1]June 16th, 2010 1:54PM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][WORLD CUP 2014][/color] How bad are things going in Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup? Organizers have dropped Sao Paulo’s Morumbi Stadium because the city hasn't come up with financial guarantees.

A World Cup without a stadium in Sao Paulo is unimaginable. It's Brazil's largest city and economic center.

Plans were to host games through the semifinals at the Morumbi Stadium, due to undergo $135 million in renovations to create a 68,000-capacity venue.

Only last month FIFA secretary general [b]Jerome Valcke[/b] complained about how work on Brazil's 12 stadiums had fallen way behind schedule. [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38526/sao-paulo-stadium-is-dropped.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/38526/sao-paulo-stadium-is-dropped.html[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a link to a great resource of soccer articles. I actually haven't visited in months (until today) with all the coverage I was getting through Soccer America. There are several articles I thought were interesting but instead of posting all of that, it's much easier to go here and browse the headlines to see what's going on.

[url="http://headlines.objectivo.com/"]http://headlines.objectivo.com/[/url]

1. The article projecting the USA 2014 WC roster. First, it's too early for that. Second, any mention of Bornstink still on a WC roster is a complete joke.

2. An ESPN guy in response to the segment about top athletes in US playing soccer. I have to disagree with one of his major points about these NFL, NBA guys being too bulked up. I think he's missing the point. If they had been playing soccer through a youth program and in high school and college, they would never have bulked up like that and would have trained for soccer. Soccer training + superior athletic ability would indeed equal a better national team.

• 3 weeks later...
A lot going on in the rumor world for our boys.

Bornstink is going to Tigres to play LB on a free loan. If he can get some decent PT and add some attack he could maybe..maybe turn into a viable option for 2014.

Jozy is rumored to Turkey or Ajax. Personally I just want him to go wherever the PT is greater. Ajax would be nice, and would really develop his skills, but I have a hard time believing unless he trains out of this world, he would get a lot of burn.

LD rumored to Man City and Everton. Sounds like he is staying put. I wish he would go back to Everton and really hope he stays the hell away from Man City. Anyway..as long as he is healthy for his farewell tour in 2014, we are in good shape.

Deuce just to about everywhere. I can see him going to the big club and just blowing up. I really don't think he wants to play second fiddle to LD especially after LD has gotten all the recognition after the WC, even though Clint's goal against England was damn near a rallying point for us. Just need him to be fit and in form by the time 2014 comes around.

Looks like Bradley is going to stay in Germany even though he had a killer WC. Hopefully with a good season, he will move up in Germany.

Anyways..hopefully we can start calling some of our guys into duty that have duel nationality like Mix and Lletget. Don't want to get burnt Rossi style in the confed cup again.

Oh and if Dinho comes to LA to play..soccer could really start to blow up even more. I think it would be huge.

Looks like that asshole Hoyos is going to play for Argentina..

Jesus. Why can't we win one? Why can't guys want to come here and be the man? I guarentee if he blows up here and becomes a world star he will be mentioned in the likes of Ronaldo and Messi, just because they're from USA. Instead he wants to go play second fiddle to Messi all his life.

Rossi, Subotic, Hoyos, etc..the list is just getting too long..

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, I think this would be a positive thing for Freddy. It has to be better for his development to get playing time in the MLS rather than sometimes seeing the pitch in Greece, Turkey or wherever else he would end up in Europe. As long as people realize what the Galaxy would be getting and temper their expectations. Playing everyday with LD could be a great thing for him.

[quote]
[color="#222222"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][b][size="5"]Los Angelas Galaxy Close To Signing Freddy Adu[/size][/b][/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][b] [/b][/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]World Soccer Reader has learned that the Los Angeles Galaxy are close to signing American midfielder Freddy Adu. Adu has been looking for a move away from Benfica after spending last season on loan at Greek club Aris.[/font][/color][color="#222222"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]

The 21 old attacking midfielder recently went on trial with Swiss club FC Sion, but did not receive an offer from the club. Adu made 9 appearances for Aris last season, scoring 1 goal. Adu has struggled to become a regular first team player in recent years, being loaned out every season since 2008 to AS Monaco, Belenenses and Aris.

After signing with D.C. United at the age of 14, Adu went on to make 98 MLS appearances with D.C. and later Real Salt Lake before moving to Benfica in 2007.

[/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]We will update as more details from the negotiations become available, stay tuned to WSR.[/font][/color] [/quote]

[url="http://worldsoccerreader.com/2010/08/los-angeles-galaxy-close-to-signing-freddy-adu/"]http://worldsoccerre...ing-freddy-adu/[/url]

Yes, yes, yes. Freddy needs to play all the time. This is the only place he is going to be able to build himself back up if he wants to go across seas. It's also the only place he can go if he wants to be part of the next WC cycle. It would be a smart move on both sides.

I hope Dinho still comes to the MLS though,

A guy on the ESPN soccer board who really knows his shit is saying Bob's going to be with Villa shortly, well it's said he is already meeting with them, and Jozy is going to the Wolves.

Fuck..I really don't want Jozy to go to the wolves, it's Hull 2.0, maybe with a little more playing time, but little service.

• 3 weeks later...
Sad, sad day for US soccer. More mediocrity to come for the end of three of the greatest players to ever don the US jersey. If there talent is wasted away because Bob wants to keep Borstink and Redcardo in the line-up it will certainly be such a waste to the end of Landon, Deuce's, and Tim's career. Sad.

Was hoping for Klinsy. A guy who could not only coach, but more than likely help us with some of the European dual-nationalities.

Also, with so much talent coming through the US national side, probably more than ever, great showing at the U-21 WC not too long ago with Jozy and Freddy, the guys winning the U-20 milk cup, guys like Jack Mac doing well in the MLS, Mike Diskkreud getting first team reps, I really, really do not want to see Bob fuck this up. There is going to be bundles of talent for the 2014 WC.

With some serious talent about to come through and still having a good core, with Jozy, Clint, Landon, Jr., and Tim there is no reason we shouldn't be challenging for a WC in 2014.

I wish Freddy would come back to the MLS.

Hopefully by 2014 we see a lineup with

Jozy-Jack Mcinerey/Davies
Stu
Landon Mike Deuce
Lichaj Gale A. Gooch? ??(someone needs to emerge, could also be Lichaj)
Tim

By this team, Jozy is going to be 24, and should be playing regularly in Europe and this should be all about getting him service and not making him a hold-up forward like Bob wants. The guy is pretty darn good running at guys.

Stuart should be regularly be playing at a pretty damn good club in Europe and we should be letting him service people centrally while our aces man the wings.

The back line is a little hazy. I do know that Lichaj and Gale A. will be on it though. Those guys are going to be studs.

And of course Tim.

And a ton of talent behind them. Feilhaber, Hopefully Freddy, MixDisk, Castillo. Lord, don't fuck this up Bob.

Paul Kennedy sugar coats the situation...and then he gets flamed

[quote]
[color=#FF0000][color=#000000][size=5]Bob Bradley's return isn't unexpected

[/size][b][size=1]by [/size][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/author/45/paul-kennedy/"][size=1]Paul Kennedy[/size][/url][size=1], August 30th, 2010 7:07PM[/size][/b][/color][/color]
[color=#FF0000]
[/color]
[color=#FF0000][MY VIEW][/color] The conventional wisdom was that [b]Bob Bradley[/b] wouldn't return as national team next year.

By general agreement, Bradley mismanaged the biggest game of his coaching career, the round-of-16 match against Ghana at the 2010 World Cup.

And history suggests that the USA won't do as well in the next four years as it did under Bradley in its first four years.

So why was retaining him for four more years the only realistic option for U.S. Soccer president[b] Sunil Gulati[/b]?

[color=#FF0000]Spain victory trumps Ghana loss. [/color]For as strong as Gulati's post-game comments after the Ghana match were ("I think the team's capable of more. I think the players know it. I think Bob knows it."), he had spent a year trumpeting the U.S. success at the 2009 Confederations Cup. Nothing had awoken the international soccer community to the potential of American soccer quite like its 2-0 victory over Spain in the Confederations Cup semifinals and the second-place finish. And a year later, after Spain won the World Cup, that U.S. victory looks that much bigger. If Bradley was going to take the hit for the loss to Ghana -- the U.S. players were distracted by the hype of the late win over Algeria and the buzz back home and came out flat against Ghana -- he should get the credit for the Spain win.

[color=#FF0000]There are bigger fish to fry. [/color]Any move to dump Bradley would have had to involve a radical change in approach, and Gulati simply won't have time to pull it off in the next few months. Big picture: landing the 2022 World Cup is a much bigger deal than who's in charge of the national team program over the short term, and it will require all Gulati's attention over the next couple of months. The timing of Monday's announcement was critical. With the FIFA inspection tour on the docket for next week, Gulati had to clear up the matter of whether Bradley would stay or go now. (The USA's 2022 bid is in good shape but there are no guarantees when you are dealing with a highly political body like FIFA.)

[color=#FF0000]There's work to be done now. [/color]The 2009 Confederations Cup success was only possible because the USA won the 2007 Gold Cup. The 2011 Gold Cup, to again be played in the USA, is just around the corner with a ticket to the 2013 Confederations Cup in Brazil going to the winner. World Cup 2014 qualifying might start next year. FIFA has already announced it will move the 2014 qualifying draw up five months to July 2011, and Concacaf has proposed to play three stages of qualifying, plus a preliminary round. Bradley is around to get the train moving forward on both fronts.

[color=#FF0000]The 2014 World Cup is a long way off.[/color] Just because Bradley has been awarded a new four-year deal, that doesn't mean he'll be around to coach the team in 2014. Even if there was no obvious alternative available now, there's nothing that says Gulati doesn't make a move later on, during qualifying or even after qualifying and before the finals in Brazil. Or he could bring in a World Cup specialist in the mold of [b]Guus Hiddink[/b] to manage the team in the finals and get them to or past the quarterfinals. Buying out Bradley's contract if the national team begins to sag shouldn't be a problem. U.S. Soccer is loaded. It will be even more loaded if it bags the 2022 World Cup. The concern that the national team will stagnate under Bradley like it did under [b]Bruce Arena [/b]in 2006 is legitimate. Bradley is more of an Xs-and-Os coach than Arena, but both are high-intensity coaches who've gotten more out of their teams than they might have otherwise accomplished thanks to their motivational methods. But there's the real fear these methods will get old under Bradley like they did under Arena.

[color=#FF0000]The coach isn't the problem.[/color] Whether it's Bradley in charge, or[b] Juergen Klinsmann[/b] or [b]Marcelo Bielsa[/b]or [b]Javier Aguirre[/b] or [b]Vicente Del Bosque[/b] or anyone else, a coach won't win the World Cup. The USA will only win -- or challenge to win -- the World Cup when it has the players. And it doesn't have the players, nor are they on the horizon. Indeed, the the USA could soon be in for a few lean years with the generation after that of [b]Landon Donovan[/b] and Co. The USA will only challenge for the World Cup when MLS starts producing young players en masse -- young players with citizenship papers who are eligible to represent the USA. MLS is only now ramping up its youth program. The 2022 World Cup -- hopefully in the USA -- would be a good time to be considered a legitimate contender. [/quote]

[quote]13 comments[list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5256"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Bill Anderson [/b]
commented on: August 30, 2010 at 7:49 p.m.This is the worst news possible. I have been criticle of Bob and the Bobble Heads for many years. The blame now falls on the players. Nobody went "Hope Solo" on Bob, which he clearly deserved. This will spell the doom of the National Team Program and Stifle Development. ... Players must learn the lessons of France, and resign or retire from International Play NOW! Only an uprising will turn this abomination around.[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5257"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] David Borts [/b]
commented on: August 30, 2010 at 9:40 p.m.OUTRAGEOUS!PATHETIC! a very sad day for the future of US Soccer. I am astounded! at a loss for anything positive to say.[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5258"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] James Froehlich [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 12:10 a.m.As far as I'm concerned, US Soccer, the USMNT and Sunil Gulati can all go to h--l. I am through with supporting a bunch of status seeking, bureaucratic bumblers. I don't feel the need to wish the team bad luck because they have just guaranteed it.[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5259"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Gregory Giese [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 8:42 a.m.Bob Bradley bumbled the lineup vs Ghana, yet in the last paragraph you state "a coach won't win the World Cup". True but a coach can lose the World Cup. So we kept BB.....Hmmmmmm[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5260"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Kris Wilcoxen [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 8:57 a.m.I couldn't agree LESS. A coach may not be able to win the WC but he certainly can lose it! The lineup was a mess, the players were not ready, and the coach was out of his league.[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5261"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Robert Kiernan [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 9:32 a.m.Oh PLEASE... that this man was given the job in the first place was more the result of KLINSMANN not willing to be a pawn for the Boys in Chicago to play with! ... it's because we played so poorly at the last COPA AMERICA under this coach that we were NOT asked back and instead they are bringing in the JAPANESE... just how does THAT make our bid to host the World Cup again stronger? And yes, if we suffer a repeat of last Summer's ABYSMAL performance AT HOME to the MEXICANS in the GOLD CUP...we won't be going back to the FEDERATIONS CUP either...so we could very well have no meaningful competition for the NATS until we start WC Qualification again, and really that means mainly playing the CONCACAF Minnows at least at first... so what sort of test is that?... With so many of our players aging, especially in the back, will this coach EVER bring in newer players to replace those that are past their prime? Take a good hard look at our left flank over the last few years...WHAT has Bob Bradley done to address this gaping wound? Bocanegra has been showing signs of age for a while now, and NEVER was all that speedy to start with, Pearce? Bornstein? ...remember DaMarcus Beasley as a LB...NONE of this really worked, and his treatment of Edgar Castillo was shameful and along with not seeming to know how to use Paco Torres, has truly started to Alienate a sizable number of the Latino community. So will he now play Eric Lichaj or Daniel Williams, maybe Mikkel Diskerud or Frank Simek? Maybe even notice the Red Bulls rookie Tim Ream? ...or will he stick with players he knows like Bornstein, whether or not they deserve to be recalled? That this coach plays a conservative route one long ball style that has REPEATEDLY lead to our inability to keep a clean sheet, even against teams that at least on paper we really SHOULD be able to easily handle is both maddening and very troubling. That he seems to see players like Torres or Holden or Feilhaber more as part timers, rather than as our likely backbone is both short sighted and pig headed. That he he had THREE players this past World Cup who were on form to score (Dempsey, Buddle & Gomez)...and managed not to start ANY of them at Striker, was a coaching decision...a very POOR coaching decision...that Buddle and Donovan clearly were on the same wavelength, yet he started Altidore and Findley...who were clearly NOT the best pair available says much about his ability to see the players... and to constantly see Dempsey used outside and wide instead of inside within shooting range was just ridiculous. Just how much time did Holden see? How about Torres...to start Clark, who had a hamstring injury over Edu, was clearly madness... it wasn't that Bradley had ONE poor match, he CONSISTENTLY made poor use of his bench and started the wrong players...and for this, HE IS BEING REWARDED??? ...Gulati is a fool, and this action seals it for me... I'm truly ANGRY about this, and I'm NOT alone in this![/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5264"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Antonio Fontanelli [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 10:07 a.m.Guys I hate to say this there is no future for US Soccer. Gulati should be held responsible for the demise. The US public started to pay attention to the game but it will not tolerate going backwards any longer. That's it for the game. How can the USSFA back this decision? Bunch old boys and morons. How can the soccer media swallow this? And what about the owners and investors of the MLS team? They should all raise hell as the future of the game is in danger. Don't they understand the American public that we need the win or produce at very least. Or we should try at very least. With Bradley and Gulati we are not trying we are sinking. Bradley should be ashamed of himself to even expecting to continue. He is not a patriot of US Soccer. He knows that he will not be able to elevate US Soccer. He is an egotistical bum. Gulati is an a.. hole he should get twenty years without atrial to ruin the US Soccer establishment. White collar criminals get condemned so should Gulati.[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5265"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Fernando Paz [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 10:10 a.m.Robert has said it the best. I totally agree, that should get copied and paste on an email and sent to the USSF. Maybe it will open their eyes.[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5266"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Hal Litchford [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 10:20 a.m.The real tragedy here is that the US Federation has lost a real opportunity to clean house and bring in someone that can present a new vision for soccer in the US, and a plan to support it. BB didn't have a deep roster to choose from in terms of automatic selections, so he managed to screw up the easy ones. One must also wonder about his selections for assistants; did any of them (in the privacy of a staff meeting) have the freedom to speak their mind, or the insight to say "Bob, you're joking right?" Few will argue that the one team that really lit things up in South Africa was Germany. They displayed a wonderful blend of masterful technique, athleticism, tactical acumen and creative imagination. The fact that 75% of the German team are young enough to be candidates for at least 2 and maybe 3 more World Cups speaks volumes about what they are doing in Germany below the surface. This didn't happen by accident. 10 years ago Germany had their own identity crisis and set about to do something about it with a new vision and a new plan that addressed German football holistically, from the ground up. The result of this patience, planning and committment to a vision is obvious. We're here in 2010 with much the same opportunity and instead choose a path that we know leads to underachievement. Maybe where we ought to think about cleaning house is US Soccer House in Chicago.[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5267"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Eric Dibella [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 10:30 a.m.Mikkel Diskerud as a LB?[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5268"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Ralph Leftwich [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 10:33 a.m.Your final excuse for US Soccer is "The coach isn't the problem". How is putting the wrong lineup on the field for the start of the Ghana game not BB's problem? Having to make two subs in 45 minutes shows he made a mistake. What would be good from Soccer America is to write a well thought out article on the pros and cons of the next four years with BB as the coach. Do not make excuses and also do not dismiss his achievements either. Now it appears that you are working with USSF to justify the decision.[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5270"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Robert Rizzuto [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 10:38 a.m.I completely agree with Robert, and Hal. I also have to say - "Spain Victory trumps Ghana Loss"???? Are you KIDDING ME!?!?!?! The Confederations Cup is a largely meaningless competition. Losing at the World Cup in the round of 16 to a team we should've beat, when the entire US public was behind us, completely trumps the Spain win. And the point is, as Robert said so well, that it was largely due to coaching ineptitude. When will SA stop being apologists for these stupid decisions US Soccer makes?[/list][list][*][url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html#c5271"][/url][url=""][/url][img]http://media.socceramerica.com/images/comment-bubble.gif[/img][b] Ric Fonseca [/b]
commented on: August 31, 2010 at 10:43 a.m.I hope that I've read he article correctly.... and if I did, what in sam's heck was in Sunil's cool aid?[/list]
[/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html"]http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39456/bob-bradleys-return-isnt-unexpected.html[/url]

I feel as if I may have been a little more negative against Bob than he deserved after the WC

But:
-After seeing how the man started Redcardo after the abominational effort he put in against England
-How he continued to start Findlay after so many missed chances and ignored buddle and Gomez who at least were scoring at this point.
-Not letting Jozy go head on with guys, rather making him play with his back to the goal, which is NOT his strength at all.
-Seeing Bornstein being the only guy to get a shot at LB the whole cycle even after his terrible form match after match.
-Not starting Feilhaber against GHANA! WTF! That guy was really making our offense move.
-Not getting Clint more into the flow of the game.
-Playing the game with two defensive mids, while our offense completely sputtered.
-Playing kickball while getting our ass kicked in possession by Slovenia and Algeria? C'mon.
-Coming 10 seconds away from not advancing out of a weak group only to see Ghana score in extra time.

I think Bob's tenure should be over. They needed Klinsman, a man who actually knows what it takes to make something happen with talent, which we will have an abundance of next cycle. Instead we will see Bornstink and Redcardo and Findlay, and a giant clusterfuck.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1283277390' post='912142']
I feel as if I may have been a little more negative against Bob than he deserved after the WC

But:
-After seeing how the man started Redcardo after the abominational effort he put in against England
-How he continued to start Findlay after so many missed chances and ignored buddle and Gomez who at least were scoring at this point.
-Not letting Jozy go head on with guys, rather making him play with his back to the goal, which is NOT his strength at all.
-Seeing Bornstein being the only guy to get a shot at LB the whole cycle even after his terrible form match after match.
-Not starting Feilhaber against GHANA! WTF! That guy was really making our offense move.
-Not getting Clint more into the flow of the game.
-Playing the game with two defensive mids, while our offense completely sputtered.
-Playing kickball while getting our ass kicked in possession by Slovenia and Algeria? C'mon.
-Coming 10 seconds away from not advancing out of a weak group only to see Ghana score in extra time.

I think Bob's tenure should be over. They needed Klinsman, a man who actually knows what it takes to make something happen with talent, which we will have an abundance of next cycle. Instead we will see Bornstink and Redcardo and Findlay, and a giant clusterfuck.
[/quote]

x2

Archived