Soccer Thread

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='295240' date='Jul 17 2006, 09:04 PM']Me either. It's the only damn "football" I can get over here [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/20.gif[/img][/quote]
What team are you for over there?

Perhaps Rooney, Ronaldo, Ferdinand?

Could make for something interesting because during the Portugal and England game Rooney pushed Ronaldo and then Ferdinand right after gave him a shove.

[quote name='JC' post='295293' date='Jul 17 2006, 09:46 PM']What team are you for over there?
Could make for something interesting because during the Portugal and England game Rooney pushed Ronaldo and then Ferdinand right after gave him a shove.[/quote]

In Sky Sports, they said Ronaldo wanted to play for either Barca or Real. That was said about 3 weeks ago.

[quote name='#40' post='295306' date='Jul 17 2006, 09:57 PM']In Sky Sports, they said Ronaldo wanted to play for either Barca or Real. That was said about 3 weeks ago.[/quote]
Damn.

Barca would be sick....Ronaldinho Eto'o and Cristiano...that could be one hell of a attack.

[quote name='JC' post='295307' date='Jul 17 2006, 09:59 PM']Damn.
Barca would be sick....Ronaldinho Eto'o and Cristiano...that could be one hell of a attack.[/quote]

Yeah, and add Messi. He is a beast.
In the Champions League last year, he dominated the game against Chelsea. I think we can expect great things from him in the future. Plus, they have Deco too, and other very good players.

[quote name='JC' post='295293' date='Jul 18 2006, 02:46 AM']What team are you for over there?
Could make for something interesting because during the Portugal and England game Rooney pushed Ronaldo and then Ferdinand right after gave him a shove.[/quote]
West Ham United is my team. Not the most talented side, but they play their butts off. I've followed them from their rise to the Premiership only days after I arrived over here, and i love to root for an underdog. Though I will be happy to change my tune there for once when cheering the upcoming Bengals dynasty :headbang:

I despise Ronaldo almost as much as pissburgh. Floppin, divin, POS. BTW, ManU claims he is not for sale to Barca or Madrid, but we'll see how that goes. The only group Ronaldo seems to have support from over here is the gay community (and no I am not making this up, or bashing anyone. He was reported as their fav player in the world cup during the tourney. i have no idea wtf that means mind you, but he's not exaclty popular with most folks in these parts.)

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='295434' date='Jul 18 2006, 12:50 AM']West Ham United is my team. Not the most talented side, but they play their butts off. I've followed them from their rise to the Premiership only days after I arrived over here, and i love to root for an underdog. Though I will be happy to change my tune there for once when cheering the upcoming Bengals dynasty :headbang:[/quote]wow, thats like 4+ people on this board that root for them... one of these days ill actually find a good reason to root for a specific team, but for now west ham keeps moving up on my list. outside of timmy "tourettes" and manu i really have no dogs in this fight, ah... fulham, maybe? shit, i need a team

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='295434' date='Jul 18 2006, 12:50 AM']I despise Ronaldo almost as much as pissburgh. Floppin, divin, POS. BTW, ManU claims he is not for sale to Barca or Madrid, but we'll see how that goes. The only group Ronaldo seems to have support from over here is the gay community (and no I am not making this up, or bashing anyone. He was reported as their fav player in the world cup during the tourney. i have no idea wtf that means mind you, but he's not exaclty popular with most folks in these parts.)[/quote]thank god [i]somebody [/i] fucking agrees with me on this pos

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='295474' date='Jul 18 2006, 08:03 AM']wow, thats like 4+ people on this board that root for them... one of these days ill actually find a good reason to root for a specific team, but for now west ham keeps moving up on my list. outside of timmy "tourettes" and manu i really have no dogs in this fight, ah... fulham, maybe? shit, i need a team

thank god [i]somebody [/i] fucking agrees with me on this pos[/quote]
C'mon and join the West Ham bandwagon. I'm pretty sure they can't afford Ronaldo, so it should be safe ;)

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='295434' date='Jul 18 2006, 12:50 AM']West Ham United is my team.[/quote]

Nice. As Nati Ice said, that's about 4 of us now on this board who support them. I grew up for a while in London and they became my team as the rest of the family supported Spurs, and I wanted to be different. I flew over for the FA Cup Final in Cardiff in May. Heart-breaker but still a great weekend.

A fully healthy Dean Ashton will be devastating up front. Not sure if Marlon Harewood will provide the same performance as last year, but there is good cover in Bobby Z and Carlton Cole.

Was completely against the signing of Lee Bowyer originally given his past, but given his work rate beginning to come around to it. The persistant rumours about Benayoun leaving are worrying, and sadly, if Reo-Coker plays like he did last season, and continues to progress, he will be a big target for the big clubs. But he is currently signed through 2009. So, hopefully, we have two more years yet.

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='295572' date='Jul 18 2006, 02:52 PM']Nice. As Nati Ice said, that's about 4 of us now on this board who support them. I grew up for a while in London and they became my team as the rest of the family supported Spurs, and I wanted to be different. I flew over for the FA Cup Final in Cardiff in May. Heart-breaker but still a great weekend.

A fully healthy Dean Ashton will be devastating up front. Not sure if Marlon Harewood will provide the same performance as last year, but there is good cover in Bobby Z and Carlton Cole.

Was completely against the signing of Lee Bowyer originally given his past, but given his work rate beginning to come around to it. The persistant rumours about Benayoun leaving are worrying, and sadly, if Reo-Coker plays like he did last season, and continues to progress, he will be a big target for the big clubs. But he is currently signed through 2009. So, hopefully, we have two more years yet.[/quote]
I know what you mean about being disappointed. I had purchased ticket futures for the AFC championship game and SBXL last June planning on a Bengals championship, and had my flight back here after the holidays scheduled for the thursday after the super bowl when I bought the plane tix in October. Needless to say I was not happy to be returning to London in January.

At least you got to see your boys in the game. And if not for that unfrigginbelievable shot by Gerrard, you'd have seen the promised land. Still pisses me off.

Funny story about watching the FA final. Was in a pub, pretty much surrounded by Liverpool fans. A guy at the table next to me strikes upa conversation about where I'm from etc toward the end of the game, as I surely have no British accent. When I tell him I'm originally from Cincy, the next words out of his mouth were...

Kimo Von Olhoffen. :angry:

I didn't know whether to be impressed with his knowlege of US football, or if I should just kill him where he stood. But I saw the fear of god in his eyes when my first response was to pull back my right fist, only to then smile, smack him on the shoulder and laugh it off. We joked about it for a while afterward, but my wife swears he wet himself. But that might've been because he'd had about 12 pints of London Pride during the match. :)

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='295644' date='Jul 18 2006, 11:30 AM']I didn't know whether to be impressed with his knowlege of US football, or if I should just kill him where he stood.[/quote]
Should have been option number 2.

That bastard should die for making such a comment.

[quote name='JC' post='295656' date='Jul 18 2006, 04:38 PM']Should have been option number 2.
That bastard should die for making such a comment.[/quote]
I must admit, that was my first thought as well. But I've made it 35 years without hitting someone in anger. What's another minute or two?

If he hadn't had a smile on his face when he said it, if it had been said with any true anti-bengal sentiment, it might've played out different. Methinks he just had a smartass sense of humor, which I've been accused of myself once or twice :rolleyes:

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='295697' date='Jul 18 2006, 12:38 PM']I must admit, that was my first thought as well. But I've made it 35 years without hitting someone in anger. What's another minute or two?

If he hadn't had a smile on his face when he said it, if it had been said with any true anti-bengal sentiment, it might've played out different. Methinks he just had a smartass sense of humor, which I've been accused of myself once or twice :rolleyes:[/quote]
:lol:

Oh well...he probably knows that they didn't win fair and square...just by saying that.

But, before we get to that.

[img]http://www.sportgate.de/img/dpa/london-arsenal-neu_7123846.mittel.jpg[/img] [size=4]VS [/size] [img]http://www.coolsmartphone.com/cooldownloads/Aston%20villa.JPG[/img]

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='296704' date='Jul 19 2006, 06:18 PM']ugh. arsenal fans over here are the worst. except of course for the chelsea fans... ;)[/quote]

Eh, I aint like that. I know what you mean, but dont really care. (About the fans)

[center][img]http://www2.arnes.si/~dsajno1/fc-barcelona.gif[/img][/center]

[img]http://www.rp-online.de/layout/showbilder/9081-ronaldinho_ap.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.fanclubbarcelona.nl/images/spelersinfo/2005/eto.jpg[/img]

Couldn't not follow my favorite players!

[quote name='JC' post='296726' date='Jul 20 2006, 12:12 AM'][center][img]http://www2.arnes.si/~dsajno1/fc-barcelona.gif[/img][/center]

[img]http://www.rp-online.de/layout/showbilder/9081-ronaldinho_ap.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.fanclubbarcelona.nl/images/spelersinfo/2005/eto.jpg[/img]
Couldn't not follow my favorite players![/quote]
What did you think of 'dinho in the WC? Got some less than favorable pub here, but I thought he was simply playing his role myself....

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='296731' date='Jul 19 2006, 07:20 PM']What did you think of 'dinho in the WC? Got some less than favorable pub here, but I thought he was simply playing his role myself....[/quote]
I think he got a lot less pub for two reasons

Ronaldo broke that record and was in the news because he was overweight and playing like a lazy bastard and he (ronaldinho) didn't wow anyone with any kind of amazing moves or shots.

Personally i think he could have done a lot better also...i wish he would get more touches and play some center mid or striker. He didn't take many shots at all...it seemed like the rest of the brazil team was more willing while ronaldinho just wanted to pass it off to someone to do it for him.

On the topic of Barca, retaining their la liga title just got harder. Real Madrid strike the first salvo in the Juventus fire sale...in come Cannavaro and Emerson.

Cannavaro, probably the best defender in the world now, and Emerson the defensive midfielder will probably help shore up the Real Madrid defence which has been a problem...and now with Emerson in the midfield, there is cover for Cicinho to go bombing up from his right back spot.

With regards to Ronaldinho...I think he was played out of position and played with the wrong personnel. Much like with England itself where Lampard and Gerrard basically occupy the same position on the field, Ronaldinho and Kaka were the same.

Hindsight is twenty / twenty but if you looked at the Brazilians performance vs. the Japanese...it was the most fluent one...and it came from putting Robinho in and Kaka moving back to a central midfield role.

He also seemed to defer too much to others. Almost like he still considered himself the junior player in the sqaud like he was in 2002.

And the less said about the exceptionally crap tourney Roberto Carlos had...the better. Cicinho should have subbed for him from the first game.

Overall Carlos Alberto went with the established squad...which you can't fault as they were the defending champions...but it might have been better to ring the changes in and bring that incredible youth they had on the bench... Cicinho / Robinho / Julio Baptista

West Ham's Shaun Newton tested positive for cocaine and is now banned for 7 months. Being loyal East-Londoners, the West Ham board didn't sack him... for some reason. With him gone, our wings are a little thin, even though he was never more than a squad player. I hope we can find a way to bring Scaloni back, or at least sign another winger to compliment Etherington. And that could be the reason all of a sudden the Hammers were linked to bids for players such as Paintsil from Ghana and the Swiss midfielder. If Steed Malbranque quit being such a prick at Fulham and gave up his idiotic salary expectations (he is not a 60,000 pound a week player!!!!) that would solve the problem perfectly.

Arse / West Ham on November 5th will be a good game. West Ham are fairly impregnable at Upton Park...but the Arse signings of Rosicky and Adebayor (who seems motivated since the World Cup) were huge...in Hleb / Fabregas / Van Persie / Rosicky they have the future of that team. However, the pressure is on Arsenal. West Ham drew with them at home last season...and grabbed a famous win at Highbury! :whistle:

I have another question. For those of us in the US, where can I watch football (soccer). I know ESPN shows the Champions League. ( only on from the semis )??? Also FSC shows some games, unfortunately I don't have that. Anyone know?

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='296752' date='Jul 19 2006, 07:53 PM']Arse / West Ham on November 5th will be a good game. West Ham are fairly impregnable at Upton Park...but the Arse signings of Rosicky and Adebayor (who seems motivated since the World Cup) were huge...in Hleb / Fabregas / Van Persie / Rosicky they have the future of that team. However, the pressure is on Arsenal. West Ham drew with them at home last season...and grabbed a famous win at Highbury! :whistle:[/quote]

Speaking of the past wont do any good. ( :ninja: ).
Anyway, it will be a good game. But we (Arsenal) will win. :whistle:

Archived