Soccer Thread

[quote name='#40' post='296754' date='Jul 20 2006, 12:55 AM']I have another question. For those of us in the US, where can I watch football (soccer). I know ESPN shows the Champions League. ( only on from the semis )??? Also FSC shows some games, unfortunately I don't have that. Anyone know?[/quote]
Satellite is an option I think. I have a buddy back in Baltimore who is an ex-Londoner who follows the league on sat if I remember right.

Any Bill Simmons fans among us? He's decided to claim a premiership team as his own going foward. A fun read, at least for me

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719"]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/060719[/url]

Am I the only one who thinks that Lampard is rubbish? While I was thrilled to see Italy win the WC, I was closely following and rooting for the local boys through the cup, and thought he just plain sucked. He seems to think he has Gerrard's scoring ability for some reason that I just can't figure out.

(and i hate giving gerrard any love whatsoever for that killer v w.ham. thank god i'm only a casual soccer fan, or i'd have shot myself after the fa cup final. his goal was simply unreal. a true heartbreaker.)

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='296765' date='Jul 19 2006, 08:07 PM']Am I the only one who thinks that Lampard is rubbish? While I was thrilled to see Italy win the WC, I was closely following and rooting for the local boys through the cup, and thought he just plain sucked. He seems to think he has Gerrard's scoring ability for some reason that I just can't figure out.

(and i hate giving gerrard any love whatsoever for that killer v w.ham. thank god i'm only a casual soccer fan, or i'd have shot myself after the fa cup final. his goal was simply unreal. a true heartbreaker.)[/quote]

I agree, Lampard didn't play well this WC. The whole English team looked slow, boring, and no desire. That penalty he took against Porutal = He looked like he just hit the ball without giving his heart so to say. It looked like he was thinking " Well, Im getting £100,000 anyway. I dont care if I miss or not ". I know or I seem to remember pkayers don't get playing international. I meant the money from Chelsea.
BTW

FUCK CHELSEA

It is gonna take Juve 2 seasons for sure to get back to Seria A. They have a 30 point deduction at the the start of the season, meaning they'll have to win 10 games just to be level pegging with the bottom team, if that bottom team hasn't won a game yet.

Then, with Lazio and Fiorentina (who only have 7 point deductions), and the next best Siere B club going up, Juve my languish in Siere B for another season

[quote name='#40' post='297397' date='Jul 20 2006, 11:53 PM']It is gonna take Juve 2 seasons for sure to get back to Seria A. They have a 30 point deduction at the the start of the season, meaning they'll have to win 10 games just to be level pegging with the bottom team, if that bottom team hasn't won a game yet.

Then, with Lazio and Fiorentina (who only have 7 point deductions), and the next best Siere B club going up, Juve my languish in Siere B for another season[/quote]
Yup. BBC claims that at least Del Piero, Nedved, and Buffon plan to stay, but Cannavaro, Emerson, Thuram, and Zambrotta are already gone....

Cannavaro was the shit in the WC. I'm still kicking myself for not going to Milan to watch the final. For palne tix + hotel for about $250 r/t arriving game day, leaving Monday, but passed...

However, I made sure my wife know that $$$ went into the Bengals SB XLI fund.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='297435' date='Jul 20 2006, 07:34 PM']Yup. BBC claims that at least Del Piero, Nedved, and Buffon plan to stay, but Cannavaro, Emerson, Thuram, and Zambrotta are already gone....

Cannavaro was the shit in the WC. I'm still kicking myself for not going to Milan to watch the final. For palne tix + hotel for about $250 r/t arriving game day, leaving Monday, but passed...

However, I made sure my wife know that $$$ went into the Bengals SB XLI fund.[/quote]

I'm a big fan of Buffon. My fav Italian player has always been Christian Vieri though. I forgot who he signed with. He was injured during the WC???Right? Thuram and Zambrotta went to Barca. They got better.

Ah, during the Christian Vieri days, Inter was the shit(for me). You should have went though.

First of all, [size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]this is my post whoring thread[/color][/size]

I think either Inter or Roma will win the Seria A. I say this because AC has 15 points reduced (I think it's 15) . The next best teams are Chievo Verona, Palermo, Livorno, Parma etc. Out of those I think Palermo has the best chance. I can be wrong. Time will tell.

[quote name='#40' post='297549' date='Jul 21 2006, 02:29 AM']I'm a big fan of Buffon. My fav Italian player has always been Christian Vieri though. I forgot who he signed with. He was injured during the WC???Right? Thuram and Zambrotta went to Barca. They got better.
Ah, during the Christian Vieri days, Inter was the shit(for me). You should have went though.[/quote]
Wanna hear another pisser? The wife and I were in Rome last summer, as she had a biz meeting there. She mentions something in passing about being invited to join some work folks for a soccer game, but says she's rather sightsee. Having only been to Rome one other time in my life back in 96, and knowing how beautiful i found it, this was fine wwith me until...

*We get to Rome and I find out the match she turned down tix to was the Coppa Italia Final* :blink:

Oh well, the wife's no sports fan, and I unfortunately didn't follow world football/soccer well enough to recognize what match would be being played myself. Still don't follow it that closely, except for the Premiership, which is hard to avoid here. Doesn't keep me from being *slightly* pissed off though. Free corporate tix to that match would have been a fine way to spend a day. Especially in hindsight, since we're been back to Rome since.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='297719' date='Jul 21 2006, 02:19 AM']Wanna hear another pisser? The wife and I were in Rome last summer, as she had a biz meeting there. She mentions something in passing about being invited to join some work folks for a soccer game, but says she's rather sightsee. Having only been to Rome one other time in my life back in 96, and knowing how beautiful i found it, this was fine wwith me until...

*We get to Rome and I find out the match she turned down tix to was the Coppa Italia Final* :blink:

Oh well, the wife's no sports fan, and I unfortunately didn't follow world football/soccer well enough to recognize what match would be being played myself. Still don't follow it that closely, except for the Premiership, which is hard to avoid here. Doesn't keep me from being *slightly* pissed off though. Free corporate tix to that match would have been a fine way to spend a day. Especially in hindsight, since we're been back to Rome since.[/quote]

That blows.

I've only been to a few football (soccer) games. Just not big name teams. I plan on going to an Arsenal game this year. But I would be in a hurry to come back here and watch American Football.

[quote name='#40' post='297856' date='Jul 21 2006, 05:34 PM']That blows.

I've only been to a few football (soccer) games. Just not big name teams. I plan on going to an Arsenal game this year. But I would be in a hurry to come back here and watch American Football.[/quote]
You live here in London, too, or are you planning a visit?

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='297906' date='Jul 21 2006, 02:21 PM']You live here in London, too, or are you planning a visit?[/quote]

No, I have some people I know in London. Hounslow, London to be exact. I go to London about one every two years. Nice city. The visiting time is this year again.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='297981' date='Jul 21 2006, 03:59 PM']Well let's have a pint or two when you're here. :)[/quote]

Where in London are you? Last time I went to Croydon, London. A friend lives there. He took me around the city and to Plymouth. I went there (Croydon,etc) to skate. London skate scene is shit. Plymouth has a pretty good scene though. Back to the topic, where in London are you?

[quote name='#40' post='297984' date='Jul 21 2006, 09:01 PM']Where in London are you? Last time I went to Croydon, London. A friend lives there. He took me around the city and to Plymouth. I went there (Croydon,etc) to skate. London skate scene is shit. Plymouth has a pretty good scene though. Back to the topic, where in London are you?[/quote]
Croydon. :) A short walk from the train station.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='298070' date='Jul 21 2006, 05:39 PM']Yup. Down the block from the Nestle building. Not far from the police station.[/quote]

Damn UK, If you are still there in December, I'll definetly visit you.

[quote name='#40' post='298188' date='Jul 22 2006, 12:44 AM']Damn UK, If you are still there in December, I'll definetly visit you.[/quote]
Sounds good. The wife and I are planning a ski trip to Switzerland around Xmas , but other than that, I have no plans to be any where else...

...until I'm in Miami for SBXLI :headbang:

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='298195' date='Jul 21 2006, 07:46 PM']Sounds good. The wife and I are planning a ski trip to Switzerland around Xmas , but other than that, I have no plans to be any where else...

...until I'm in Miami for SBXLI :headbang:[/quote]

Where I stayed at Croydon, their ground was 5 mins away. I mean Crystal Palace's. They blow. Their one good player left the team. I have skated the train station. We went there early, weren't many people around,

[quote name='JC' post='298724' date='Jul 22 2006, 02:46 PM']40 where do you watch your games here...because its harder then hell to catch a Barca game...i have the sky sports news station but i never have a clue when its on.[/quote]

I used to watch all the games on FSC (Fox Soccer Channel). I don't have that anymore. They show games from the Premireship, Seria A, La Liga. They show some FA cup games too.ESPN shows the Champions League. If you have satellite, order TEN SPORTS. They show all the 'big' La Liga games, which mostly features Real and Barca.

Copa Mundial is a good channel for football (soccer). Unfortunately, it's not in English and I don't understand Spanish. It was showing the Arsenal game today, which they won :dance: 2-1. Henry scored the first goal in Emirates stadium, while Kanu scored the winner. Feel free to ask any other questions.

When Barca comes here, are you going to see them?

I almost forgot, if you have Sky Sports, they constantly show football(soccer) games, on Saturdays.

Archived