Soccer Thread

[quote name='#40' post='298749' date='Jul 22 2006, 03:46 PM']I used to watch all the games on FSC (Fox Soccer Channel). I don't have that anymore. They show games from the Premireship, Seria A, La Liga. They show some FA cup games too.ESPN shows the Champions League. If you have satellite, order TEN SPORTS. They show all the 'big' La Liga games, which mostly features Real and Barca.

Copa Mundial is a good channel for football (soccer). Unfortunately, it's not in English and I don't understand Spanish. It was showing the Arsenal game today, which they won :dance: 2-1. Henry scored the first goal in Emirates stadium, while Kanu scored the winner. Feel free to ask any other questions.

When Barca comes here, are you going to see them?

I almost forgot, if you have Sky Sports, they constantly show football(soccer) games, on Saturdays.[/quote]
I haven't even checked out Barcas schedule so i should get on that.

If Barca is coming anywhere close to me...i would give my right nut for that...so i will keep on the lookout...thanks man!

[quote name='JC' post='298765' date='Jul 22 2006, 04:19 PM']I haven't even checked out Barcas schedule so i should get on that.
If Barca is coming anywhere close to me...i would give my right nut for that...so i will keep on the lookout...thanks man![/quote]

They're coming to the US. [url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=364580&cc=5901"]Link[/url]
I am thinking about going to the Houston game,(Aug 9th) since it's the closest from where I am.

[quote name='#40' post='300766' date='Jul 25 2006, 10:11 PM']Fuck yea!!!

Arsenal 2-1 Sv Mattersburg.

Day is good so far with Levi signing and Arsenal winning.[/quote]
I can't claim to care much about the Arsenal match either way...

But you win a prize for being the guy who broke the good news on Levi! (at least for me...)

When are you showing up to claim your pint?

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='300884' date='Jul 25 2006, 07:05 PM']I can't claim to care much about the Arsenal match either way...

But you win a prize for being the guy who broke the good news on Levi! (at least for me...)

When are you showing up to claim your pint?[/quote]

Your welcome about the Levi signing. BTW, revenge will be sweet in Nov 5th.
I will try to meet up with you in Dec.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='300895' date='Jul 25 2006, 07:16 PM']I wish it was Dec. now. This 90 degree shit without a/c is killing me.[/quote]

Yeah, I hate heat. It's around 90-100 from 11am to 8 pm here in Ga.

[quote name='#40' post='300925' date='Jul 26 2006, 12:59 AM']By the way UK, apart from Crystal Palace, whos the other closest team?[/quote]
Palace wuld be the other one I know. But the only one I pay much attention to is W Ham, and that's even hard, as they get little tv time compared to arsenal, chelsea, man u, etc. I'm really more of a casual observer i suppose. maybe i'll change my mind if i get to a match this year.

I did catch barca/milan in dc a few years back. that was pretty cool...

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='300950' date='Jul 25 2006, 08:31 PM']Palace wuld be the other one I know. But the only one I pay much attention to is W Ham, and that's even hard, as they get little tv time compared to arsenal, chelsea, man u, etc. I'm really more of a casual observer i suppose. maybe i'll change my mind if i get to a match this year.

I did catch barca/milan in dc a few years back. that was pretty cool...[/quote]

At least you get to watch a lot of games.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='302127' date='Jul 27 2006, 07:00 AM']I'll trade you the EPL for the NFL any day my friend :)[/quote]

Haha, :lol:
I don't think I'd trade you the NFL for the EPL, La Liga, Seria A, FA Cup, Champions League.

Or would I for all of them? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img]

Ruud Van N to Real Madrid. About 11 million quid.

Don't think it's that great a signing, I am not a big fan of his really. I feel he has lost a step, and Ruud scores most of his goals in England against the likes of West Brom, Charlton, and Fulham; his pedigree has never been that high outside of Holland and Manchester. His European goals are almost always penalties.

However, he is a poacher, and maybe Real feel with creative guys like Robinho and Julio Baptista up front creating, that he will on hand to slot chances away.

This year's Prem is promising to be the best in years. Chelsea have added more world class players, but haven't necessarily set them apart from their competitors. I still think they will win the title, but by a lesser margin than even last year. Arsenal and Liverpool I expect to challenge each other heavily for second, and if Newcastle finally finds a healthy striker and a decent centre back, fourth is theirs for the taking.

United, sans Ruud, and maybe even Ronaldo, will have a very difficult season. The cracks in Sir Alex's reign started appearing when he fitfully sold off Beckham and Stam for speaking of United's dressing room antics. Truth be told, United haven't looked like their old selves since then. And no one seems to want to play for them either.

I think my Hammers will do well, but battle for 6-7th spot. Sadly, the pressure is on the squad already, with a number of our players being linked to big money moves to other clubs. Ashton to Newcastle, Yossi Benayoun to Arsenal, Nigel Reo Coker to everyone...a lot of pressure on the board. If they do sell, I will fucking lose it, and seriously question my commitment to the team for this season. Just this whole thing of taking 3-4 years to build up a team and then sell it off because of our dipshit chairman, who is like Mike Brown in the 90's is too much to take.

Plus, we will lose Alan Pardew...who I think in a few years will be one of the finest coaches in England. (I think he's a very good one now)

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='302457' date='Jul 27 2006, 01:42 PM']Ruud Van N to Real Madrid. About 11 million quid.

Don't think it's that great a signing, I am not a big fan of his really. I feel he has lost a step, and Ruud scores most of his goals in England against the likes of West Brom, Charlton, and Fulham; his pedigree has never been that high outside of Holland and Manchester. His European goals are almost always penalties.

However, he is a poacher, and maybe Real feel with creative guys like Robinho and Julio Baptista up front creating, that he will on hand to slot chances away.

This year's Prem is promising to be the best in years. Chelsea have added more world class players, but haven't necessarily set them apart from their competitors. I still think they will win the title, but by a lesser margin than even last year. Arsenal and Liverpool I expect to challenge each other heavily for second, and if Newcastle finally finds a healthy striker and a decent centre back, fourth is theirs for the taking.

United, sans Ruud, and maybe even Ronaldo, will have a very difficult season. The cracks in Sir Alex's reign started appearing when he fitfully sold off Beckham and Stam for speaking of United's dressing room antics. Truth be told, United haven't looked like their old selves since then. And no one seems to want to play for them either.

I think my Hammers will do well, but battle for 6-7th spot. Sadly, the pressure is on the squad already, with a number of our players being linked to big money moves to other clubs. Ashton to Newcastle, Yossi Benayoun to Arsenal, Nigel Reo Coker to everyone...a lot of pressure on the board. If they do sell, I will fucking lose it, and seriously question my commitment to the team for this season. Just this whole thing of taking 3-4 years to build up a team and then sell it off because of our dipshit chairman, who is like Mike Brown in the 90's is too much to take.

Plus, we will lose Alan Pardew...who I think in a few years will be one of the finest coaches in England. (I think he's a very good one now)[/quote]

Not much of a shocker seeing him leave. I also see Chelsea making it three in a row. With Ballack and Shevchenko coming in. Great lineup starting from a great GK in Cech, then you hav Carvalho, Ferreira, Gallas, Terry. I don't think I need to talk about their Midfielders and Strikers. I just hope Arsenal gets more consistent. Last season was just [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/31.gif[/img] during the middle of the season.

Heres to another 5-0 to Villa in the first match.

Ohio cup today...had my first hat trick of my life and it came on varsity too so i was loving it because i never got a hat trick in the limited time i played last year.

But the team is 1-2-0.

[quote name='JC' post='304344' date='Jul 29 2006, 06:36 PM']Ohio cup today...had my first hat trick of my life and it came on varsity too so i was loving it because i never got a hat trick in the limited time i played last year.

But the team is 1-2-0.[/quote]

What position do you play? I haven't played football in like 4 years.

I can't believe I am reading and/or saying this, but....I am old. I miss soccer. I played it religiously year round in Virginia where I used to live from when I was five until about eighteen. I played keeper, and I absolutely loved being the general out there on defense.
I played on a few select teams, but boy, when the germans came to town, being a keeper wasn't so fun anymore.
Now I'm 37 and I can't bear to watch anything but the WC as the international leagues are so confusing and American soccer is for shit.
Plus there's so much baseball, college basketball and NFL football to watch I haven't the time.
Ahh the days as a lad when I could run without losing my breath in ten minutes.... :)

[quote name='Bunghole' post='304358' date='Jul 29 2006, 06:58 PM']I can't believe I am reading and/or saying this, but....I am old. I miss soccer. I played it religiously year round in Virginia where I used to live from when I was five until about eighteen. I played keeper, and I absolutely loved being the general out there on defense.
I played on a few select teams, but boy, when the germans came to town, being a keeper wasn't so fun anymore.
Now I'm 37 and I can't bear to watch anything but the WC as the international leagues are so confusing and American soccer is for shit.
Plus there's so much baseball, college basketball and NFL football to watch I haven't the time.
Ahh the days as a lad when I could run without losing my breath in ten minutes.... :)[/quote]

37's not that old. Jens Lehman is 36 and is very good.

BTW how do you change your user name?

[quote name='#40' post='304368' date='Jul 29 2006, 05:10 PM']37's not that old. Jens Lehman is 36 and is very good.

BTW how do you change your user name?[/quote]
I believe only admin can do that, so PM Go or Bengalbacker about it...
And nice Alice cover there in your siggie...love that album...a shame about Staley, but without the heroin, where would the pain have been in the music?

[quote name='JC' post='304344' date='Jul 29 2006, 06:36 PM']Ohio cup today...had my first hat trick of my life and it came on varsity too so i was loving it because i never got a hat trick in the limited time i played last year.

But the team is 1-2-0.[/quote]congrats!

ohio cup... is that the preseason hs tourny in dayton?

i cant remember anything anymore

Archived