Soccer Thread

Word bro, last week I was delighted with how they performed against Wigan and was even happier with the result. This week it is hard to put into words how much I thought of this performance – this was phenomenal. I will go as far to say that the first half of this game was the best half West Ham have played since coming back into the premiership.

The football we played was awesome, the goals we scored were so good I just want to watch them again and again, and the end result was one which we needed so badly. You could have easily forgotten that you were watching a side who are fighting for their premiership lives, with relegation still a possibility.

Of course the big mention is going to go to Carlos Tevez who scored two goals and made the other one for Mark Noble. The amount of bad press the club has received in the last few weeks was answered by the player who has caused a lot of the controversy – but his answer was on the football pitch, where it should be. He just couldn’t be handled by the opposition yet again, and that free kick will live long in the memory of most West Ham fans. The man is an absolute legend.

anyway, I think I will download the first 45 minutes of the game somewhere hopefully and keep it for memory's sake. it was West Ham at their best. Noble who has been such a revelation was a bull dog in the midfield...Benayoun was solid, Zamora's work rate was phenomenal (saw on Match of the Day he ran 10 km in just 60 odd minutes today) and Tevez...what can you say...

here are the goals...

[url="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wjyo_west-ham-vs-bolton-goals"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wjyo_we...vs-bolton-goals[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Soccer is getting ready to start again. :headbang:

and since i played baseball this year..im dead outta shape and i feel like i have lost some speed since i didn't do much running or working out during baseball this year. Im also starting up weightlifting again since i quit when baseball started. I need some workouts that are going to help me build up my speed. I no squatting will help...anything else? I need to be able to change directions more on a dime as well. [u]Any suggestions would help[/u]. Also im trying to work my forearms more so i can get them bigger...thats not really related to soccer but i have never really targeted my forearms and i want to put some size on those too.

and i didn't really recap any of the season last year..because it was a real embarresment. We went like 1win 14losses 2ties. -_- . I got all conference last year but it was honorable mention...im trying to build on that and get first team and maybe get some looks from local colleges. Hopefully i can give some more updates this year since it won't be such a embaressment. Were getting a new coach this year so that should help. Its going to be my third coach in 3 years though..This guy can get it done hopefully...

[quote name='JC' post='487057' date='May 15 2007, 09:48 PM']Soccer is getting ready to start again. :headbang:
and since i played baseball this year..im dead outta shape and i feel like i have lost some speed since i didn't do much running or working out during baseball this year. Im also starting up weightlifting again since i quit when baseball started. I need some workouts that are going to help me build up my speed. I no squatting will help...anything else? I need to be able to change directions more on a dime as well. [u]Any suggestions would help[/u]. Also im trying to work my forearms more so i can get them bigger...thats not really related to soccer but i have never really targeted my forearms and i want to put some size on those too.
and i didn't really recap any of the season last year..because it was a real embarresment. We went like 1win 14losses 2ties. -_- . I got all conference last year but it was honorable mention...im trying to build on that and get first team and maybe get some looks from local colleges. Hopefully i can give some more updates this year since it won't be such a embaressment. Were getting a new coach this year so that should help. Its going to be my third coach in 3 years though..This guy can get it done hopefully...[/quote]
-jc
ok, this is really sloppy but im also really tired... first of all, since soccer is pretty much year round at your age its really hard to build up your lower body right now by lifting weights as there is simply no time for recovery. so, with that in mind there are still a few things you can do to help increase your leg strength. youre going to need to do this as cleanly as possible since there isnt enough time from now until the time high school training should start to have a sloppy bulk and still be able to cut down body fat and maintain aerobic fitness. for one, this is a great time to increase your protein intake, which you can get anywhere (personally ive always used optimum nutrition gold standard whey, which you can order online from a number of places but ive always ordered the 10 pound bag from dpsnutrition.com in chocolate as it lasts forever and is the best price i could find, hell i think it even comes with a free shaker bottle). i wouldnt worry too much about what i ate but i would make sure i had at least 2 scoops of whey every day from now on (that means through the season). one in the morning or early afternoon and another immediately following your workouts. also, id make sure to take a multivitamin and have a full bottle of water around me at ALL times. i would eat regularly and like i said, not worry too much about what i ate (as in eat some greasy ass hamburgers.. who cares?), but i would also make sure not to over do it (dont eat them every day). then with about 3 weeks to go before the season starts i would attempt to cut back on all the greasy and overly sugary foods i could, but just remember that im not suggesting cutting out red meat all together. if your family has steaks, eat it! just cut off as much of the excess fat as you can.

as for working out, i would work on strengthening my shoulders and back when it comes to my upper body and not worry too much about your forearms, unless your subconcious, as theres not exactly a shit ton of effectiove forearm workouts any how and most of the other exercizes youd be doing would use your forearms as stabilizers anyways. as for legs, id work them by primarily running hills and doing plyometrics, but i would work in squats, as you said, on the three days a week i lifted using my upperbody. oh yea, id look to draw up a 3 day a week workout starting off with squats, dumbell bench press, military press, deadlifts, shoulder extenstions, dips, and finally a round of pullups/chinups and weighted lunges if you feel froggy (id look to go 3x8 for all weighted execrises at your age). theres simply too many variations on the hill running and plyometrics to write out a reccommended workout regimine, but if possible i would look to run poles (theres another name for this i just cant remember, but for example... find a long stretch of road with evenly spaced lightpoles, mailboxes, street signs, whatever, and go about 90-95% up two, then slowly jog back one, up two, back one, until completion... after a set grab some water or whatever just catch your breath and then repeat but dont let your heart rate come down too much). i would run poles for 3 alternating days a week and then follow that up with a round of plyo (explosive jumping, up to a box or step, etc. just look online) and then end the day with crunches, leg kicks, any and all ab workouts. blah

just remember that theres 100 ways to skin a cat so expriment a little after you find yourself a hill. if nothing else just run up one until you cant do it anymore, and then do 3 more. then every day you come back look to top that number. in school we used to do cone drills up them (that hurt like a bitch, but it worked) and we were always in shape. the problem on my hs team wasnt that we were out of shape, but that we were so in shape because we spent all of our damn time running and not enough time getting into match shape and working with a ball. so, whatever you do make sure you are in the best shape that you can going into team workouts so that you can look to get into match shape and keep a touch on the ball when the time comes. your mile times might regress but thats ok, because its not the fastest team on the pitch that wins the games, its the team that scores the most goals.

so, to reiterate what ive said... 6 days a week i would alternate between lifting one day then running hills, plyo, and ab workouts the next, and on the 7th day i would either do absolutely nothing, fuck around with a ball for a bit, or take an easy Easy EASY jog (1.5-3 SLOW miles depending on how you feel). the scoop of protein early and hten after your workouts take 0 time so well just say that lifiting 40minutes for 3 days a week and then aerobic exercises for 3 more for 45 minutes to 1:30 should be plenty. straight up running will help but soccers not some long jog, its a thousand little sprints, so simply jogging isnt going to cut it. whatever you decide to do, good luck.

-chd and all canadians or anyone else who cares
any of you cats make it down to any toronto fc games yet? de ro and houston is coming to town tomorrow and while the team definitely needs improvement they seem to have a strong core group of players and are certainly well represented in the stands. unfortunately thats how the majority of mls franchises have started and only a select few have been able to carry it. any opinions?

first franchise goal...dichio (formerly of pne), who later got a red for trying to bite troy perkins (?)

yea, that free seat cushion give away was a great idea :rolleyes:

edit: the fucking galaxy just bought abel xavier, where the hell are they getting this money from?

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='487083' date='May 15 2007, 11:30 PM']-chd and all canadians or anyone else who cares
any of you cats make it down to any toronto fc games yet? de ro and houston is coming to town tomorrow and while the team definitely needs improvement they seem to have a strong core group of players and are certainly well represented in the stands. unfortunately thats how the majority of mls franchises have started and only a select few have been able to carry it. any opinions?[/quote]

Yup, got season tickets with some friends. Have to say I have been very impressed by the way they have gotten fans into the game. The atmosphere at the stadium is immense. Giving away rattlers, scarves, hiring a couple of guys with a knowledge of chants to get the crowd going with their loudspeakers. Although this isn't really required as Toronto has a very large ethnically diverse population (lots of Italians / English / South Americans with a background in soccer) So they know how to behave (badly of course) at games.

The seat cushion incident was funny, as was Eddie Johnson making the huge mistake of scoring for KC in the home opener and then thinking it would be a good idea to get within 10 feet of the stands and making the "sshhh" sign..(he was hit with 20 beers) Another highlight of the game was the barracking of the KC goalie Hartmann (who's a bit large and has a pretty bad haircut)so the chants began with "Chubby Chubby Hartmann," before degenerating to the juvenile (but effective) "Hartmann Loves the Cock" by the 70th minute. The MLS commisioner said he thinks it's the best home atmosphere he's seen, but like you said other teams have started that way.

Now...do I think this will keep up...yes...if certain things keep up...Toronto FC is owned by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE)…the same owners of the Raptors and the Maple Leafs, they are in turn owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund and several banks.

So, while relatively well funded, the primary focus of these teams will always be generating cash and revenue…I think one of the major advantages of Toronto FC is that besides being the new thing in town, the tickets are cheap. It’s the only game families and young folks can really go to…hockey in this town is far too expensive, and b-ball is dominated by the corporate crowd. Baseball…maybe, but the Jays suck…and interest is low in baseball amongst a lot of Toronto’s population of which many are originally immigrants from soccer crazy European countries

If MLSE make the mistake of trying to raise ticket prices too fast, you could lose it. However, I think they realize, they are in a unique position here given Toronto’s population mix to make some good long term revenue via the team, so will build it up in the interim. Plus they’ve put some typically heavy concession prices in place and am sure they are living well of that. Finally, Toronto fans are quite fickle. Besides the Leafs who are the richest team in hockey and will always have fans out no matter how much they stink, the other teams have to be decent otherwise, they lose crowd share. MLSE showed they were willing to spend cash when they hired Colangelo Jr. to run the Raptors after they had really sucked for years...maybe the same will occur here.

As for the product on the pitch, yes it was quite poor, but it’s an expansion team. I think after watching KC and then Chicago, I would equate a good MLS team to a mid level Championship League team in England (one down from the Premier League…the worse MLS ones would be League 1, a further league down) I’ll be interested in seeing Houston tonight as they are the Champions. But put it this way, Watford were the bottom team in the premier league, and would comfortably defeat every team I’ve seen come through Toronto so far (I’ll report after Houston tonight)

The addition of MLS is a good thing to Toronto…I thin it should help the game long term here, and I think the league will become a lot better overall.

With regards to the Xavier signing..yeah some known names are beginning to come here. I think NY signed Juan Pablo Angel from Aston Villa after they agreed to match his salary..which was approx. 40,000 pounds a week. Or about $80k US a week or $4.16 mm a season. Probably too much for a player who was overall inconsistent in the EPL, but a big name for the MLS definitely.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='487082' date='May 15 2007, 11:26 PM']-jc
ok, this is really sloppy but im also really tired... first of all, since soccer is pretty much year round at your age its really hard to build up your lower body right now by lifting weights as there is simply no time for recovery. so, with that in mind there are still a few things you can do to help increase your leg strength. youre going to need to do this as cleanly as possible since there isnt enough time from now until the time high school training should start to have a sloppy bulk and still be able to cut down body fat and maintain aerobic fitness. for one, this is a great time to increase your protein intake, which you can get anywhere (personally ive always used optimum nutrition gold standard whey, which you can order online from a number of places but ive always ordered the 10 pound bag from dpsnutrition.com in chocolate as it lasts forever and is the best price i could find, hell i think it even comes with a free shaker bottle). i wouldnt worry too much about what i ate but i would make sure i had at least 2 scoops of whey every day from now on (that means through the season). one in the morning or early afternoon and another immediately following your workouts. also, id make sure to take a multivitamin and have a full bottle of water around me at ALL times. i would eat regularly and like i said, not worry too much about what i ate (as in eat some greasy ass hamburgers.. who cares?), but i would also make sure not to over do it (dont eat them every day). then with about 3 weeks to go before the season starts i would attempt to cut back on all the greasy and overly sugary foods i could, but just remember that im not suggesting cutting out red meat all together. if your family has steaks, eat it! just cut off as much of the excess fat as you can.

as for working out, i would work on strengthening my shoulders and back when it comes to my upper body and not worry too much about your forearms, unless your subconcious, as theres not exactly a shit ton of effectiove forearm workouts any how and most of the other exercizes youd be doing would use your forearms as stabilizers anyways. as for legs, id work them by primarily running hills and doing plyometrics, but i would work in squats, as you said, on the three days a week i lifted using my upperbody. oh yea, id look to draw up a 3 day a week workout starting off with squats, dumbell bench press, military press, deadlifts, shoulder extenstions, dips, and finally a round of pullups/chinups and weighted lunges if you feel froggy (id look to go 3x8 for all weighted execrises at your age). theres simply too many variations on the hill running and plyometrics to write out a reccommended workout regimine, but if possible i would look to run poles (theres another name for this i just cant remember, but for example... find a long stretch of road with evenly spaced lightpoles, mailboxes, street signs, whatever, and go about 90-95% up two, then slowly jog back one, up two, back one, until completion... after a set grab some water or whatever just catch your breath and then repeat but dont let your heart rate come down too much). i would run poles for 3 alternating days a week and then follow that up with a round of plyo (explosive jumping, up to a box or step, etc. just look online) and then end the day with crunches, leg kicks, any and all ab workouts. blah

just remember that theres 100 ways to skin a cat so expriment a little after you find yourself a hill. if nothing else just run up one until you cant do it anymore, and then do 3 more. then every day you come back look to top that number. in school we used to do cone drills up them (that hurt like a bitch, but it worked) and we were always in shape. the problem on my hs team wasnt that we were out of shape, but that we were so in shape because we spent all of our damn time running and not enough time getting into match shape and working with a ball. so, whatever you do make sure you are in the best shape that you can going into team workouts so that you can look to get into match shape and keep a touch on the ball when the time comes. your mile times might regress but thats ok, because its not the fastest team on the pitch that wins the games, its the team that scores the most goals.

so, to reiterate what ive said... 6 days a week i would alternate between lifting one day then running hills, plyo, and ab workouts the next, and on the 7th day i would either do absolutely nothing, fuck around with a ball for a bit, or take an easy Easy EASY jog (1.5-3 SLOW miles depending on how you feel). the scoop of protein early and hten after your workouts take 0 time so well just say that lifiting 40minutes for 3 days a week and then aerobic exercises for 3 more for 45 minutes to 1:30 should be plenty. straight up running will help but soccers not some long jog, its a thousand little sprints, so simply jogging isnt going to cut it. whatever you decide to do, good luck.[/quote]
Okay...I got some whey protein ill start takining in the morning and before i workout..

And when i workout i usually do days mon wed and fri upper chest bi's tri's and shoulders and tues thurs and sat i would work back legs and run. So i think ill start heading up to the levy and running after im done with all my shit on tues thurs and sat's. Sundays ill take easy because i remember last year at the end of the year...i was dead. My legs just weren't the same. I have lightpoles right across the street so that works pretty well. thanks for the advice my man.. i think im going to start this up on monday..

Cool shit.

-chd
i agree with everything youve said, but after watching many of these teams for the entire duration of the mls and watching them face competition from abroad (friendlies, the CCC, etc.) i think id be a little more willing to say that id put the likes of a healthy dc united, la galaxy, and houston dynamo against the upper echelon teams in the championship and even a couple teams (watford included) in the premiership. the only major problems i see is that they definitely do not have the depth that those teams have, and probably could not compete with them for anything longer than a home/away series. but honestly, i dont care, the strides and lengths that mls has made and gone through have been more than enough to keep me around. from the start of the league (the entire league had maybe enough talent for 2-3 current teams in the league spread out amongst all of them) to the product on the field today has been immense, and while its no where near the best league in the world its certainly good enough to peak my interest. especially considering the investors in this league and how much they appear to be willing to spend.

a few more things...
-i like how ny was able to pick up jpa, but i really dont see why they felt they needed him. josmer altidore is going to be a stud for another year or two before a premiership team signs him, and clint mathis has proven (when motivated) that he can get the job done as well. not to mention the fact that it does next to nothing to garner the amount of support that club lost after changing their name to red bull ny.
-blanco and schelotto were class pickuos, both in terms of quality of play and fan attention (blanco drew 10k+ with less than 24 hours notice at his introduction)
-your supporters section (usector and rpb) appear committed and happy enough to stick around for a couple losing seasons, so im not terribly worried about them. but as far as the casual fan goes, what is it going to take to keep them around? baseball level low ticket prices and high concessions, if i read what your saying correctly? also, whats the deal with merchandising up there, i heard the team was having a hell of a time trying to get adidas to ship more product out to toronto stores
-i wouldnt dare compare the league as a whole to the premiership, serie a, or any of the other top flight leagues, but having championship level football on my own turf has certainly impressed me, and now that the league will be expanding in the next year or two (im thinking portland/seattle, bay area, philly, vancouver in 2, and moving kc to st. louis) im finding it harder and harder to complain about the league. so while there is certainly work to be done between mlse, aeg, lamar hunt foundation, the dc owners, etc., the pockets are certainly deep enough to carry it along for quite awhile. i look forward to the next decade of football in the states and canada.

good luck against de ro tonight. paul dalglish (kennys son) is supposed to be out along with some other guys so i want to say you guys should win but then again its de ros birthday and homecoming party along side of a bye week for houston, so im going to guess 2-1 houston with dichio out. either way it shold be a good hard fought game.

edit: fucking bradley is now the permanent us head coach... son of a bitch :(
edit2: well fuck me sideways, houston played like shit and toronto played relatively well, there goes my prediction. but still, the result and the 19k in the shitty weather were both quite impressive. dc comes to town this weekend and it was pretty clear in preseason and during the concacaf champions cup that they would be the odds on favorite to win it all, but wow, theyre playing horribly. its actually sad considering how much talent they have, but remember they may be in last place but they will turn it around and they will be dangerous come this weekend. good luck on sat, that game should be killer.

• 2 weeks later...
Currently watching the friendly between china and usa.

Its been a pretty sloppy game...more of a kick and run sorta game, I guess thats what to expect with sucha small field and the middle being congested so much.

But Clint looks good...got lucky that no one covered on that corner...Bradleys son looks pretty good..

And Bradley is still undefeated. Even if we are playing some cupcakes. But we did it tonight without lando.

I love it.

edit: oneweyu just put one in...holy shit. Nice. Who wants to bet these guys will score more then the Reds tonight.

yea, i think beaze and gooch just helped earn themselves new contracts. with solid play in the gold cup and cop america i have a hard time seeing them not being picked up by a major club. beaze will probably end up with rangers and gooch to a smaller premiership club. dc and la are on fsc right now for any of you with nothing else to do.

colorado @ houston on espn2 and guatamala vs the us on fsc, both start at 9 for those with nothing else to do... ill be attempting the dreaded shuffle back and forth although i cant help but wonder what genius thought this schedule up.

hmm... shitty national team game and a primetime mls game.... hey, i know! lets air them at the same time!

I watched parts of the first 45 minutes before i went out.

I liked seeing Twellman in the starting 11. He had a lot of chances to score...it would be nice to see him convert on a couple of those...but i like twellman and dempsey together.

Beasley was on last night.

I saw Gooch got a red card? anyone see what he did?

And overall we look very good. Im excited for this team. We are playing much better then what we did in the WC. Bradley is doing a good job.

gooch is 6'4" 215lbs, thats what he did. oh well, just more copa america time for him. at least he taunted the guatemala supporters on the way out.

[img]http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/jonah_freedman/06/08/gold.cup/p1_onyewu-ap.jpg[/img]

in other news... if you are to believe fox sports club soccer rankings red bull new york is between the 26th and 35th best club in the world (all of that in front of only 10k a match, pitiful).

however, angel is the shit and has really stepped it up since crossing the pond.

[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3412562"]http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3412562[/url]

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='497804' date='Jun 8 2007, 08:14 PM']Any of you guys have connections in Madrid? :lol: I'll be there next weekend, and would love to get to the Real match, but there's no way in hell I'm paying the $250-$500 a ticket I'm finding online :crazy:[/quote]
Well, I didn't get into the match, but damn, Madrid was a madhouse on Saturday night after Real Madrid clinched La Liga. Partying and singing in the streets, car horns blaring, fireworks, all till the wee hours of the morning. We didn't follow the crowds down to Plaza de Cibeles, so we missed the inevitable clash with police, but it was a killer atmosphere being in the city after the match. Too bad I didn't think to pull out my camera till we were on the Metro headed back to the hotel. Put I did get a pic of this happy little guy

[img]http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/1298/realmadridrv1.jpg[/img]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wow did anyone just watch that game against Canada?

Crazy...lucky we got out of there when we did. The Defense got extremely sloppy and we got a good call.

no hedjuk(who was a stud today) or Bradley. Bring on the mexicans...(hopefully).

Afterthoughts: Where in the hell did Mike Bradley come from? This guy is pretty good and there wasn't a sign of him on the WC team. I imagine he probably wasn't on it. It's nice to see such a young talented team. But i think im getting a bit to hyped since were playing a buncha fucking cupcakes..

[quote name='JC' post='503038' date='Jun 21 2007, 09:02 PM']Wow did anyone just watch that game against Canada?

Crazy...lucky we got out of there when we did. The Defense got extremely sloppy and we got a good call.

no hedjuk(who was a stud today) or Bradley. Bring on the mexicans...(hopefully).
Afterthoughts: Where in the hell did [b]Mike Bradley [/b]come from? This guy is pretty good and there wasn't a sign of him on the WC team. I imagine he probably wasn't on it. It's nice to see such a young talented team. But i think im getting a bit to hyped since were playing a buncha fucking cupcakes..[/quote]

He in some of the friendlies right before the WC.

Canada got fucked, but thats they way it goes.

[quote name='whodey24k' post='503151' date='Jun 22 2007, 10:45 AM']He in some of the friendlies right before the WC.

Canada got fucked, but thats they way it goes.[/quote]
maybe, but its not like the best team lost

michael bradley has got to be the most over played player in the ussf's pool

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='503212' date='Jun 22 2007, 02:42 PM']michael bradley has got to be the most over played player in the ussf's pool[/quote]

Do you not think he is that good? From what i have seen when he has played, he has been aggressive and hasn't made any huge mistakes..pretty good passer and pretty calm. I thought it has been a pretty good upgrade over Reyna from the last games he played as a U.S. player. And that was a pretty smart to stop that about to happen break away in the last few minutes..

But against teams like this he could look pretty good anyways?

Edit: They announced Henry is going to Barca. Nasty.

Archived