* Bonds Ties the Babe !

[quote name='Lawman' post='274273' date='May 28 2006, 11:10 AM']My son played in the Virginia U14 AAU State Qualifier this weekend.

Great weekend; he hit [b].714[/b] :blink:

Irony is in the number [b]714[/b] :blink:[/quote]
Jesus. He hits .714 against aau teams?

Any colleges after him yet. Shit i played mostly JV this year and only hit 450. And about 7 hits were bunts. He play's varsity doesn't he?

[quote name='JC' post='274276' date='May 28 2006, 11:25 AM']Jesus. He hits .714 against aau teams?

Any colleges after him yet. Shit i played mostly JV this year and only hit 450. And about 7 hits were bunts. He play's varsity doesn't he?[/quote]

Yes he plays Varisty as a Freshman, NC State/East Carolina have seen him Pitch and commented on how impressed they were. Mid 80's fastball, curve coupled with a devasting change-up.

Additionally, the Diamondbacks and Pirates scouts were in attendance. He plays SS when not pitching.

He lacks power, unless he pulls down the line or hits gaps, but he has struck out only once all year, looking at a questionable outside pitch; he's got a good eye-he is a Righthanded-hitter, but left-eye dominate.

He would remind you have a Jeff Kent type hitter.

[quote name='Lawman' post='274280' date='May 28 2006, 11:39 AM']Yes he plays Varisty as a Freshman, NC State/East Carolina have seen him Pitch and commented on how impressed they were. Mid 80's fastball, curve coupled with a devasting change-up.

Additionally, the Diamondbacks and Pirates scouts were in attendance. He plays SS when not pitching.

He lacks power, unless he pulls down the line or hits gaps, but he has struck out only once all year, looking at a questionable outside pitch; he's got a good eye-he is a Righthanded-hitter, but left-eye dominate.

He would remind you have a Jeff Kent type hitter.[/quote]
That is awesome....it looks like you may be getting yourself a new house when he is about 22.

Im curious about the lack of power..I hit the gaps very well but i can only really get a one bouncer to the fence and i did that twice but in practice or anything i couldn't seem to get it any farther. I guess it didn't help our varsity coach always wanted to change my stance because he said it looks weird, but it works for me. How do you get that extra power. Hit up the gym and do leg presses or more of a curling and bench pressing thing, because i heard most of your power comes from the legs in baseball.

Guest Master Shake

Yeah, Lawman, that sluggers list is kinda weak. I have no prob w/ McGwire being in the top 5, but...

Albert Belle > Bonds :crazy:

Rocky Colavito > Bonds :lmao:

pure hatred for Bonds by the listmaker(s) and nothing else

[quote]Im curious about the lack of power..I hit the gaps very well but i can only really get a one bouncer to the fence and i did that twice but in practice or anything i couldn't seem to get it any farther. I guess it didn't help our varsity coach always wanted to change my stance because he said it looks weird, but it works for me. How do you get that extra power. Hit up the gym and do leg presses or more of a curling and bench pressing thing, because i heard most of your power comes from the legs in baseball.[/quote]

My son's lack of power is do to his ability to hit to all fields; which makes him an excellent #2 hitter.

Power starts with the legs, being the base. For right handed hitters, your left-leg is your leverage leg
(and conversley for left-handers, this would be the right leg).

Your back leg get's everything going into motion.

[i]Disclaimer: I am not sure as to what your Coach is instructing, but remember you are playing for him and not me.[/i]

Power comes from the ability to generate "bat-speed". This is done with the "torso of the body"; another term to become familiar with is "linear-rotation" of the hips. Bonds when healthy[u]had[/u] the quickest "linear rotation" of anyone in the game. Note: power hitter have a tendency to open up to soon making them susceptible to off speed pitches (see Jim Thome last year).

You said you had some success as a bunter. Other's from our area have said my "oldest' was the best bunter they had ever seen: 12 base-hit bunt singles Senior year with other 1/2 doz questionable"out-safe" calls. but, he had aendency to be "front-heavy" which accounted for him only hitting (1) home-run his Senior year; the upper part of his body would be over the front leg = little power. Look at Jim Thome and he would be the total opposite.

The key thing is that you get to be very strong physically, but without the proper mechanics you will not hit very many HR's.

Last note: Your hands main purpose are to steer the 'bat-head' towards the ball.

Hope it helps, let me know. Feel free to ask anymor questions.

[quote name='Master Shake' post='274311' date='May 28 2006, 12:58 PM']Yeah, Lawman, that sluggers list is kinda weak. I have no prob w/ McGwire being in the top 5, but...

Albert Belle > Bonds :crazy:

Rocky Colavito > Bonds :lmao:

pure hatred for Bonds by the listmaker(s) and nothing else[/quote]

Remember, this was done in 1998 he had 374 at that time (same as Colavito; ironically the year Bonds decided the juice was on), so Bonds would [u]now[/u] have to be in the top 5 IMO.

Belle had an HR/AB ratio of 15.4; Belle, finished career with approx 5,800 ab's and 381 HR's

while

Colavito had an HR/AB ratio of 17.8; withapprox 6,000 ab's and 374 HR's

[quote name='Lawman' post='274313' date='May 28 2006, 01:06 PM']My son's lack of power is do to his ability to hit to all fields; which makes him an excellent #2 hitter.

Power starts with the legs, being the base. For right handed hitters, your left-leg is your leverage leg
(and conversley for left-handers, this would be the right leg).

Your back leg get's everything going into motion.

[i]Disclaimer: I am not sure as to what your Coach is instructing, but remember you are playing for him and not me.[/i]

Power comes from the ability to generate "bat-speed". This is done with the "torso of the body"; another term to become familiar with is "linear-rotation" of the hips. Bonds when healthy[u]had[/u] the quickest "linear rotation" of anyone in the game. Note: power hitter have a tendency to open up to soon making them susceptible to off speed pitches (see Jim Thome last year).

You said you had some success as a bunter. Other's from our area have said my "oldest' was the best bunter they had ever seen: 12 base-hit bunt singles Senior year with other 1/2 doz questionable"out-safe" calls. but, he had aendency to be "front-heavy" which accounted for him only hitting (1) home-run his Senior year; the upper part of his body would be over the front leg = little power. Look at Jim Thome and he would be the total opposite.

The key thing is that you get to be very strong physically, but without the proper mechanics you will not hit very many HR's.

Last note: Your hands main purpose are to steer the 'bat-head' towards the ball.

Hope it helps, let me know. Feel free to ask anymor questions.[/quote]
I keep all my weight on my back foot as im up to bat and i no a lot of people that say they can't because there back knee can't hold very well. I usually have pretty good bat speed and i consistently put shots into the outfield or hard line grounders down there. But i bunted in some situations because the #1 batter had so much speed that he would have second no matter what even if i did get thrown out...rare. But I will be hitting the gym hard this summer in hopes of getting my legs for soccer to the best they can be but ill also be working on upper body strength also.

I usually have no problem with my stance...but then i get to different coaches who really imho have no clue what there doing..try to change it because they think i have one of those wanna be major league stances and they probably think im doing it to look like one of those guys but its what gets it done for me.

I had one game that i went 3-4 with a single double and triple and then we had practice the next day and my coach had me bring my elbow down and then the next day it was taking me to long to get ready and i went 0-4 with 3 k's. I have always kept my elbow up since in a type of Albert Pujols type of swing but i keep both hands on the bat. Is it better to let one hand off or keep both on? My coach always tells me to keep it on...but i feel as if i have more power when i get one off and then drive it, well at least in batting practices.

Also when i bunt and the pitcher gets it...which usually indicates i didn't do a good enough job of laying it down...would it be faster to slide and get to the base or run straight through?

[quote]i no a lot of people that say they can't because there back knee can't hold very well.[/quote]

It sounds lack they lack balance.

I have this drill wher you are in your stance, hop up, another player soft-tosses a ball, hit it without losing your balance.

Another is to take batting practice standing on a 4"x4" beam.

The back leg should have a nice 45 degree L shape; utilizing the fron leg as leverage.

You push your hands to the ball, while your body pulls back allowing for the complete "linear rotation".

see Jim Thome.

[quote]Is it better to let one hand off or keep both on?[/quote]

It doesn't matter.

When I swing now in the cage, because I am 45, I generate so much torque, (I keep both my hands on the bat) do to the recoil, I literally return to the same spot I was in before the swing. It probably looks funny :D

If I were to take my lefthand off, I probably wouldn't do that. Balance

[quote]I had one game that i went 3-4 with a single double and triple and then we had practice the next day and my coach had me bring my elbow down and then the next day it was taking me to long to get ready and i went 0-4 with 3 k's.[/quote]

There is alot of argument on the elbow position, which IMO is a secondary concern.

Try this, get in your stance, raise the bat over your head, your elbows should form a upside-down V.

Bring your hands down wth the Upside-down V intact. Slide hands up into the load position; when the Pitcher shows you his back-pocket, you show him yours. take your cut while being aware to keep your left shoulder in (for RH batter).

Archived