Weathers is not a Closer!

Guest CrazyIrishman5

Guest ThurmanMunster
weathers isnt bad, he just isnt a closer, but neither is coffey also coffey is our best middle reliever and can pitch multiple innings, so it would be bad to use him at closer.

We need Wagner to get his head out of his ass.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='270891' date='May 20 2006, 11:16 PM']weathers isnt bad, he just isnt a closer, but neither is coffey also coffey is our best middle reliever and can pitch multiple innings, so it would be bad to use him at closer.
We need Wagner to get his head out of his ass.[/quote]
Man, I have never agreed with you more. Now THERE is a true informed baseball opinion. Seriously.
We needed Wagner to be the closer LAST year. Weathers is actually a very good pitcher, just not, ahem, a "closer". But neither was Danny Graves and he owns the Reds record for saves in a year, right? Wanna bring him back?
Our problem during our five-game losing "streak" as well as the loss tonight has been lack of offensive production when it counted and shoddy defense!
It happens! AND.....it is a long year yet,,,,,,,

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='Bunghole' post='270906' date='May 21 2006, 01:35 AM'][b]Man, I have never agreed with you more. Now THERE is a true informed baseball opinion. [/b] Seriously.
We needed Wagner to be the closer LAST year. Weathers is actually a very good pitcher, just not, ahem, a "closer". But neither was Danny Graves and he owns the Reds record for saves in a year, right? Wanna bring him back?
Our problem during our five-game losing "streak" as well as the loss tonight has been lack of offensive production when it counted and shoddy defense!
It happens! AND.....it is a long year yet,,,,,,,[/quote]

when i stop trying to get a rise out of people i can have good opinions :whistle:

but seriously, the way our offense plays we are going to have stretches of absolutely nothing and we will look REAL bad at those times. We shouldnt have been in todays game when we got to the 9th anyways, so im not real pissed. I am pissed at Lopez tho because the game should have been extended ATLEAST, he even double pumped so he could get more accurate and got worse. Aurilia made almost no effort to catch that ball either.

When the ball was hit i looked at my g/f and said games over watch this...ball goes to wall. If i can think that within a second of a ball being hit then what is going through our pitchers heads when they are out there in a pressure situation? The biggest issue on this team is defense, not hitting and not pitching. Weathers and Coffey would be a great combo of MRs to get us thru the 6-7-8 innings, but neither are real closers. We need a closer, but we arent really ready to compete imo and closer should be one of the last holes filled because even good closers struggle with a bad defense. In order for this team to have a chance the defense at SS, 3B, and LF need to improve and we need a consistent 1B and not changing them every few days (i assume this happens next season).

Archived