How many fell for it again?

Storm

Guest oldschooler
I`m still falling for it.

They`re in 2nd place... and their bats seem to have went cold.
As long as the pitching holds up... they`ll have a chance...

Guest Johnsons4Life
I believed. It could just be a fall right now though. If they start to get their bats going than we could go on a hot streak again.

Guest BengalBacker
I always hope for the best, but in the back of my mind I expect the worst. With the teams I root for, I've become conditioned to have that attitude.

Guest mongoloido
the team's in the hunt and still trying to upgrade talent. that's a big change over years past. don't give up on them yet.

Guest schotzee

[quote name='mongoloido' post='274369' date='May 28 2006, 04:27 PM']the team's in the hunt and still trying to upgrade talent. that's a big change over years past. don't give up on them yet.[/quote]

I won't give up on them,because I do see improvement. Damn though,I don't know how many more
shutouts I can stand seeing thrown at our lineup.Back to back ones yet :rant:

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='oldschooler' post='274254' date='May 28 2006, 09:37 AM']I`m still falling for it.

They`re in 2nd place... and their bats seem to have went cold.
As long as the pitching holds up... they`ll have a chance...[/quote]

same here...

damn we're extreme homers.... :)

[quote name='The Entertainer' post='274564' date='May 29 2006, 05:50 PM']"Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? Well, it ain't over now. St. Louis, dead! Houston, dead!"
[img]http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/153/3695~Senator-Blutarsky-John-Belushi-Posters.jpg[/img][/quote]

Unless they go out and get 2 strating pitchers and 2 relievers its over

I am getting sucked in as well. I just have hope every year but lately they crumble. If they could get at least 1 other decent starting pitcher there could be some more hope but I dont see it happening. I hope Im wrong but I see another below .500 or right around team around the trade deadline. They will dump some big salaries again(hopefuly Milton's) and get not much in return.

I know I sound pessimistic but I'm like Backer I have gotten used to it with all my favorite teams other than the Suns and now looking better the Bengals.

[quote][size=3][b]There's no quick fix for Reds[/b][/size]
[b]Ignore the hot April, cold May; this is a .500 team, so deal with it[/b]

By Paul Daugherty

Bob Castellini owns a baseball team, not a bag of tricks. The new Reds chief executive officer is passionate and committed, but he's not a priest. He wasn't in Chicago the last few days to perform an exorcism, just to offer encouragement. Yet speculation ran 100 meters in 10 seconds flat: Bob was gonna kick some aspirations.

C'mon.

It's the 1st of June. What would you like him to do?

In baseball, once you leave March, you are who you are. Between April and October, you might tweak a little, but it's like adjusting the hot water in the shower. Everyone understood the 19-8 start was a mirage; everyone suspects the 9-16 second act has been equally bogus.

The Reds' talents lie somewhere in between. This team wasn't going to win a thing this year, whether it started 19-8, 8-19 or 27-0.

The beauty of baseball is the length of its season. Across 162 games, truth is revealed. Good teams win, bad teams are exposed, everyone else rides the waves. Baseball teams don't streak their way into the playoffs. They might get lucky, but not for six months.

The Reds could play better defense than they're playing now, because much about defense involves brains and desire. They could get back to the patient, confident offense they had in April, not the lunging, overswinging hackers they've been lately. But this team has .500 talent. Same as it did two months ago.

So what's the point in dying day to day, depending on how the middle relievers do? A guy could seriously hurt himself watching Rick White. The Reds will not make a run at St. Louis the day they release Kent Mercker.

What's better: Brian Shackelford against a right-handed hitter? Or acid in your retinas?

Ease up.

Enjoy the process.

What's intriguing about the Reds now is no different than it was a month ago, and it has nothing to do with that fireballing Scandinavian, Yan Esteban. (Oh. It's Esteban Yan? Never mind.) It's seeing how a smart and aggressive owner and his rookie general manager assemble a contender on a budget.

This isn't basketball, where decent teams are one great player from being something big. It's not the NFL, where everybody's wallet is the same size, theoretically. Baseball progress doesn't work on speed-dial. Especially when you play small-money ball.

It's slow enough to observe carefully and with thought. A Brandon Phillips here, a Bronson Arroyo there. A David Ross, catching well enough that Jason LaRue and his big salary are expendable.

The words "patient" and "pro sports" no longer are on speaking terms. But with the Reds, patience is all you've got. Unless you want to ruin your life watching Edwin Encarnacion throw like Nuke LaLoosh. Unlike the previous regime, Castellini, Krivsky, etc., etc. give reason to have faith.

Krivsky met most of the day Wednesday with scouts and cross-checkers, preparing for next Tuesday's draft. Stories about scouts and cross-checkers (who? what?) are as sexy as oatmeal. But in the grand scheme, what they're doing now means more than if Justin Germano should work in relief.

"A huge couple days" Krivsky said. This is the brick-busting grunt work that teams such as the Reds must do well if they are to maintain relevancy. Smart people matter in organizations where money doesn't dominate. They matter more than the time frame for Homer Bailey's promotion to the National League.

So calm down and watch the new guys work. This isn't the United Nations. Bob Castellini won't be banging his shoe on the table. Krivsky will make moves, big (Arroyo) and seemingly small (Ross), and we will watch.

Let's see if Todd Coffey can close games. Let's see if Encarnacion can calm his throws from third base to first. Let's see if this year or next Krivsky can acquire 15 wins and 200 innings in exchange for Adam Dunn's $23.5 million owed in '07 and '08.

Let's see. Smart people are making good decisions. It takes time. Baseball is a slow game. In all ways.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060601/COL03/606010323/1071/SPT04"]Cincinnati Enquirer[/url]

I've been cautiously optimistic, but wasn't going to believe until the All Star break. They are still doing well enough that I haven't given up yet, but if they don't start winning soon, I will.

I disagree with Paul's article...the city has waited 5 yrs, how much more patient can we be. This may be the longest streak for the Reds going without a winning/playoff season...

Glass half empty says: "Fuckin Redlegs suck...we got no pitching and now the bats are cold, we're dead and buried, its over...Did Bengals training camp start yet?"

Glass half full says: "C'mon guys...we had a historic April. Even with a terrible month of May we are still in this thing...2nd place and 5 back of the Cards, with an oopportunity coming up against them...we can create more space btwn us and the AStros. Buck up little campers, June is a new month and we can do it."

I was down after the Philly sweep then, Nats taking 2/3-but with the new month I'm fired back up because they have a chance now to write off May.

Ya gotta believe!

[quote name='Die Hard Orange and Black' post='276438' date='Jun 2 2006, 10:21 AM']Will Griffey change positions?
That seems to be a big issue now.
I say atleast wait until next season.[/quote]

Are you serious right now? Why the hell would griffey change positions? Have you watched any games this year? He is making great plays in center. Griffey changing positions is not an issue at least right now its not. What a stupid ignorant post...

Archived