How many fell for it again?

Storm

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='276546' date='Jun 2 2006, 01:30 PM']Are you serious right now? Why the hell would griffey change positions? Have you watched any games this year? He is making great plays in center. Griffey changing positions is not an issue at least right now its not. What a stupid ignorant post...[/quote]

one reason would be to extend his career...save on all the running around on his knees...also a lot of his injuries are due to his going all out in the field (he's a great player and its his nature). Maybe not this year but if Griff wants to continue to play at a high level I don't think it will be in CF...

I call it the Mike Piazza argument...and I don't think it is invalid.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='BK Cincy Connection' post='276559' date='Jun 2 2006, 01:52 PM']one reason would be to extend his career...save on all the running around on his knees...also a lot of his injuries are due to his going all out in the field (he's a great player and its his nature). Maybe not this year but if Griff wants to continue to play at a high level I don't think it will be in CF...

I call it the Mike Piazza argument...and I don't think it is invalid.[/quote]

its not, but many people have this disease that means once a player has done something at one point (not the past 5 years) they cant ever be switched no matter how beneficial it would be for that individual or team.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Storm' post='274140' date='May 27 2006, 09:33 PM'][img]http://www.snoopygift.com/prodimg/1005.jpg[/img]

not me[/quote]

*cough*

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='mongoloido' post='274369' date='May 28 2006, 04:27 PM']the team's in the hunt and still trying to upgrade talent. that's a big change over years past. don't give up on them yet.[/quote]

*cough cough*
:D

Ahem, there's still 100 games left. I didn't think they'd bounce back this quickly. They're going to have to keep getting breaks like the opposing line-up scratches(Oswalt/Pujols). Don't get me wrong, they deserve a lot of credit for catching fire and coming back, but it's a little early for I told you so's. The bullpen is still horrrifying. Especially if
the starting rotation doesn't continue to average 6 or 7 innings per start the rest of the season.

That aside, I'll eat a little bit of crow for thinking that they would swoon longer and not bounce back.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='oldschooler' post='274254' date='May 28 2006, 08:37 AM']I`m still falling for it.

They`re in 2nd place... and their bats seem to have went cold.
As long as the pitching holds up... they`ll have a chance...[/quote]

[img]http://www.imi.org.uk/conf2005/Vernon%20The%20cough.jpg[/img]

:headbang:

[quote name='Hooky' post='278761' date='Jun 7 2006, 09:30 AM']Ahem, there's still 100 games left. I didn't think they'd bounce back this quickly. [b]They're going to have to keep getting breaks like the opposing line-up scratches(Oswalt/Pujols).[/b] Don't get me wrong, they deserve a lot of credit for catching fire and coming back, but it's a little early for I told you so's. The bullpen is still horrrifying. Especially if
the starting rotation doesn't continue to average 6 or 7 innings per start the rest of the season.

That aside, I'll eat a little bit of crow for thinking that they would swoon longer and not bounce back.[/quote]

Well, one things most playoff teams have had in common was they had relatively good luck with injuries.

[quote name='Jason' post='278772' date='Jun 7 2006, 09:57 AM']Well, one things most playoff teams have had in common was they had relatively good luck with injuries.[/quote]

Agreed. Or they're deep enough to compensate for them. Which I think the Reds' offense is. Plus most play-off teams have to get breaks like that. There's always a little luck involved.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Hooky' post='278761' date='Jun 7 2006, 09:30 AM']Ahem, there's still 100 games left. I didn't think they'd bounce back this quickly. They're going to have to keep getting breaks like the opposing line-up scratches(Oswalt/Pujols). Don't get me wrong, they deserve a lot of credit for catching fire and coming back, [b]but it's a little early for I told you so's[/b]. The bullpen is still horrrifying. Especially if

That aside, I'll eat a little bit of crow for thinking that they would swoon longer and not bounce back.[/quote]

Precisely why the thread deserved to get knocked in the teeth in the first place. Chicken Littles thought the team wouldn't ever stop losing, and here we are still among the land of the living.

Guest bengalrick

this thread could go for "did you fall for us sucking again?" or "did you fall for us looking damn good again?"

my homerism kept me believing, and now reality is catching up... the stars are aligning :D

[quote name='BK Cincy Connection' post='276477' date='Jun 2 2006, 11:35 AM']I disagree with Paul's article...the city has waited 5 yrs, how much more patient can we be. This may be the longest streak for the Reds going without a winning/playoff season...

Glass half empty says: "Fuckin Redlegs suck...we got no pitching and now the bats are cold, we're dead and buried, its over...Did Bengals training camp start yet?"

[b]Glass half full says: "C'mon guys...we had a historic April. Even with a terrible month of May we are still in this thing...2nd place and 5 back of the Cards, with an oopportunity coming up against them...we can create more space btwn us and the AStros. Buck up little campers, June is a new month and we can do it."

I was down after the Philly sweep then, Nats taking 2/3-but with the new month I'm fired back up because they have a chance now to write off May.

Ya gotta believe![/b][/quote]

so far so good...I'm falling for it again... :wub:

[quote name='BengalsFanInNC' post='275051' date='May 30 2006, 11:25 PM']this series against the cubs is pretty pathetic to say the least. nothing seems to be going right lately.

Chalk up another "L"...fucking sad, getting beat up by the sorry ass cubs.[/quote]

Ever since I said that the Reds are 7-0... :blink:

:whistle:

:dance:

:ninja:

I never lost hope, but it was more frustration of losing 2 times in a row to a team that I believe only won 7 games in May.

[quote name='BengalsFanInNC' post='279186' date='Jun 8 2006, 06:53 AM']Ever since I said that the Reds are 7-0... :blink:

:whistle:

:dance:

:ninja:
I never lost hope, but it was more frustration of losing 2 times in a row to a team that I believe only won 7 games in May.[/quote]

looks like a sweep by the Cubs

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Storm' post='280926' date='Jun 11 2006, 03:40 PM']looks like a sweep by the Cubs[/quote]

nope, we won the first game of the series.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='280947' date='Jun 11 2006, 08:53 PM']nope, we won the first game of the series.[/quote]

Thats right, didn't that bum Griffey hit a game winning HR? ;)

It kills me. The Reds go on a 8 game win streak including two wins over the woeful Cubs, beating teams they haven't beating in a few years and claiming a spot atop the NL Central. Then they lose 3 straight to the woeful Cubs and fall out of 1st and look like they can't beat anyone. I still believe, but my belief is short lived because of this neurosis. I can see them splitting the series after the recent hot streak, maybe even taking 3 of 4 from the Cubs. But to lose 3 straight to a team they should beat after winning 8 straight, all on the road and against teams they are not supposed to beat, is just frustrating. They have to be more consistent. This neurosis is driving me crazy!!! :wacko:

[quote name='MacD BengalFan' post='281017' date='Jun 11 2006, 05:42 PM']It kills me. The Reds go on a 8 game win streak including two wins over the woeful Cubs, beating teams they haven't beating in a few years and claiming a spot atop the NL Central. Then they lose 3 straight to the woeful Cubs and fall out of 1st and look like they can't beat anyone. I still believe, but my belief is short lived because of this neurosis. I can see them splitting the series after the recent hot streak, maybe even taking 3 of 4 from the Cubs. But to lose 3 straight to a team they should beat after winning 8 straight, all on the road and against teams they are not supposed to beat, is just frustrating. They have to be more consistent. This neurosis is driving me crazy!!! :wacko:[/quote]
They seem to have that weird sports disease that makes you stack up well against the best teams but play down to the level of your competition against opponents that on paper you are supposed to beat.
I think if anything that this series exposed the Reds biggest weaknesses: situational hitting and relief pitching. Especially the bullpen. It stinks. Surprisingly, our starting rotation has been well above expectations. Our offense can be explosive, but yet they seem to only hit homeruns (the most overrated play in baseball unless you have 2-3 baserunners) when it doesn't matter.
And our bullpen is horrible. If the Reds hang near the divisional lead after the dog days of late June/early July, then look for them to make a move to acquire a couple relievers.
Esteban Yan was just TERRIBLE yesterday and Weathers....WTF?

Guest schotzee

[quote name='Bunghole' post='281019' date='Jun 11 2006, 07:51 PM']They seem to have that weird sports disease that makes you stack up well against the best teams but play down to the level of your competition against opponents that on paper you are supposed to beat.
I think if anything that this series exposed the Reds biggest weaknesses: situational hitting and relief pitching. Especially the bullpen. It stinks. Surprisingly, our starting rotation has been well above expectations. Our offense can be explosive, but yet they seem to only hit homeruns (the most overrated play in baseball unless you have 2-3 baserunners) when it doesn't matter.
And our bullpen is horrible. If the Reds hang near the divisional lead after the dog days of late June/early July, then look for them to make a move to acquire a couple relievers.
Esteban Yan was just TERRIBLE yesterday and Weathers....WTF?[/quote]

Absolutely.On a positive note though,we are 2 games up in the wild card standings. :D

With a better bullpen the Reds could have probably won 2 of the 3 games they lost to the Cubs.
The Reds dont have to trade to improve the bullpen, they have guys in the minors that could possibly help but most likely wont get a chance to until its to late.

• 4 weeks later...
Uh, guys? The season isn't over. It's the all-star break. The NL Central is terrible (I should know, I follow the struggling Astros). They can still challenge for division lead. Heck, they can be barely .500 and still earn the wild card. The Reds believe in themselves. Maybe you should too.

Archived