Joe Nuxhall Hospitalized With Double Pneumonia

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Nuxhall Hospitalized With Double Pneumonia[/b][/size]

Former Reds pitcher and veteran broadcaster Joe Nuxhall has been hospitalized with double pneumonia.

Nuxhall spent 38 years in the Reds radio booth and had a 60-year career with the Reds, starting in 1944 when he pitched at the age of 15. He still holds the distinction as the youngest player in the majors.

He'd battled lymphoma in late 2003 and underwent successful treatment for prostate cancer several years earlier.

Nuxhall won 135 games in the big leagues and teamed with Marty Brennaman on the radio. He's been one of the most popular figures in Reds history, as testified by his statue outside Great American Ball Park.

Stay tuned to News 5 and refresh ChannelCincinnati.com for more information as it becomes available.[/quote]

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/wlwt/20060531/lo_wlwt/9295041"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/wlwt/20060531/lo_wlwt/9295041[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]BREAKING NEWS: Joe Nuxhall in intensive care[/b][/size]

By Ken-Yon Hardy

Staff Writer

FAIRFIELD — Hamilton’s favorite son, Joe Nuxhall, was admitted to the intensive care unit at Mercy Fairfield Hospital early this morning with double pneumonia, according to his son Kim Nuxhall.

“He’s doing ok. He’s where he should have been about five days ago,” Kim Nuxhall said. “One of his good traits comes back to haunt him sometimes ... the tenacity of not giving up.

“But he’s been fighting. He’s been really laboring with his breathing and lo and behold, we found out he has double pneumonia.”

Joe Nuxhall, 77, became the youngest person to play a Major League Baseball game when he became a pitcher at age 15.

He’s spent more than six decades with the Cincinnati reds as a player and broadcaster.

Nuxhall’s contributions to baseball have only been surpassed by his contributions to Hamilton and surrounding communities.

He has given his name — and countless dollars and time — to improve his community, from buildings to character building programs.

The elder Nuxhall remains hospitalized and on antibiotics, according to his son. He is due to be re-evaluated by the Mercy Fairfield staff Wednesday morning.[/quote]

[url="http://www.western-star.com/news/content/news/stories/2006/05/30/HJN053006NUXHALLWEB.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=7"]http://www.western-star.com/news/content/n...cxsvc=7&cxcat=7[/url]

Guest BengalBacker

Damn. My favorite broadcaster of all time. When I was young, few games were televised and I never got to go to the games. I used to stay up every night, even the west coast games and listen to Joe. He was my link to my heroes. I was born in '59, so The Big Red Machine was starting during my little league years and I worshipped the Reds.

Joe always seemed like an old friend, as if you "knew" him. I'll never forget the time I was listening to the pre-game show and they were on a commercial break, and they came back but Joe didn't know. He must have been joking around with one of the players because all I heard, plain as day was Joe saying, "you cocksucker!" :lmao:

Sounds like I'm giving a eulogy, and I hope that's premature. Hang in there Joe. Keep rounding third, but it's too early to head for home.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

[quote][font="Tahoma"][size=3][b]Nuxhall listed as stable in hospital[/b][/size]
ENQUIRER STAFF REPORTS

Reds broadcaster Joe Nuxhall was in stable condition Tuesday night after being admitted to Mercy Hospital Fairfield earlier in the day.

Greg Ossmann, the hospital's director of public relations and marketing, said Joe Nuxhall was admitted around 11 a.m. Tuesday. As of 10 p.m. Tuesday, Nuxhall was in stable condition, Ossmann said.[/font][/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060531/SPT04/605310328"]Cincinnati Enquirer[/url]

[quote name='The Entertainer' post='275096' date='May 31 2006, 06:49 AM'][url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060531/SPT04/605310328"]Cincinnati Enquirer[/url][/quote]

good news, I too grew up with Joe. One of the most distinct voices in baseball broadcasting, he and Marty were a hell of a team...

I hope everything works out for the best for Joe and his entire family...

[quote][size=3][b]Nuxhall to remain hospitalized[/b][/size]
BY JOHN KIESEWETTER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Joe Nuxhall will remain in Mercy Hospital Fairfield for a few more days to receive treatment for double pneumonia and cancer.

[b]Today, Nuxhall was being treated with antibiotics for pneumonia in each lung, and with radiation for a lump on his tonsil, his son Kim Nuxhall said this afternoon[/b].

The tonsil lump is a return of the non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma found in September 2003. A radiation treatment scheduled for Tuesday was postponed until today because of his weak health, Kim said.

The 77-year-old former Reds pitcher and radio announcer was admitted Tuesday morning.

“He should have been in the hospital five days ago,” said Kim, a Fairfield Schools physical education teacher. “I tried to talk him into seeing a doctor last week. He was in distress.”

Despite being short of breath, the Ol’ Lefthander maintained an active schedule last week. He participated in golf fund-raisers four consecutive days, and broadcast Saturday’s Reds-Diamonbacks game at Great American Ball Park with Marty Brennaman.

On Memorial Day, he mowed and trimmed his Fairfield lawn, then grilled out for the family.

“He was winded when he came up he steps (at home). He didn’t eat, and dad loves to eat,” Kim said. “He just wasn’t right – but he’s got that old stubborn German in him.”

At breakfast Tuesday, Kim insisted that his father see a doctor. He did, and was sent to the hospital by 11 a.m.

Nuxhall, who spent 60 years with the Reds as a player and full-time radio announcer, has battled cancer and heart problems for 14 years.

He was first diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1992. In December 2001, he suffered a heart attack while eating in a Sharonville restaurant. In 2003 he underwent a 3-1/2-hour surgery to remove a lump on the side of his face near his ear.

“He had a hard time swallowing recently, and he kept blaming the shortness of breath on that (lump) – but I knew it was something else,” Kim said.

[b]Kim says his father wants to be healthy enough to sign copies of his book, “Joe: Rounding Third and Heading for Home” (with writer Greg Hoard) at Great American Ball Park on June 10, the 62nd anniversary of his Reds debut as a 15-year-old.[/b][/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060531/SPT04/305310023"]Cincinnati Enquirer[/url]

Archived