89 Gitmo detainees on hunger strike

Guest BlackJesus

14 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done about this ?

• Force feed them, make them eat
    • Let them wither away and starve to death if they choose
    • Try them for a crime or release them

[quote name='Die Hard Orange and Black' post='276663' date='Jun 2 2006, 05:12 PM']Do you think that if gov had a little competition, then maybe the services that it provide might become more efficient.

Business that competes, tries to come up with new and better ways of doing things to remain competitive.
This is not the case with the gov. It appears to be of the approach "If its broke, who cares."

I said I work for the gov. I unfortunatly work for the post office. It doesnt' take long to see the wasteful gov spending. Do they try to fix it, no. It has no real competition. No other company has the ability to go door to door. In recent years they have made attempts with parcels to become more competitive, but only a half ass attempt.[/quote]

It is very difficult to make government-run industries work efficiently...I have no doubt about that, because I see it all the time. However, just because it is difficult doesn't mean that it isn't worthwhile.

And there is competition...Or there should be, in the form of an alternate party (or parties) to vote for on the next election. If you don't live up to your obligations...You should get replaced in government.

Why this kind of thing doesn't come up more in US politics, I have no idea. People rail against politicians for doing whatever they want...but don't appear to hold them accountable at the polls. (This observation is only a casual one - I cannot fully back it up)

Regardless, privatization hardly strikes me as a cure for inefficient government infrastructure...When the efficiency of a private company is designed to profit at the expenses of people. Especially in the service industry, because they are not utilizing a natural resource to obtain profits. The profits essentially have to be drawn from a static pool of $$.

So what would a private takeover of the post office do to make things more efficient and better their margin?...Lay off people, outsource more work overseas, use more part-time workers to avoid benefits...The result of a private post office might be replacing your full-time work week with three part-timers.

Personally, I think you have to look beyond profits for the rewards of running your own infrastructure services...Keeping it in the hands of the people is its own reward. Employing people at home is a reward. Keeping wages at a place where people can afford to buy their own house is a reward.

I have to admit, though...I'm not sure that I see the post office as one of those integral pieces of infrastructure...And would probably not put up much of a fight over privatization. Canada has already started doing that, to a certain extent...And it hasn't made that much of a difference.

So I guess I am for privatization, after all. :huh:

BZ

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='276714' date='Jun 2 2006, 06:58 PM']:rant: [b]you can't declare war on a "Tactic" .... :rolleyes:

and no WAR WAS NOT DECLARED ..... Only Congress can do that .... and they didn't [/b] :rolleyes:[/quote]

It was when it was determined by the UN and congress the Iraq had WMD's and that is a form of terror.
War was declared on terror. You know terror=terrorism umK :pointlaff:

[quote name='TheBZ' post='276763' date='Jun 2 2006, 08:53 PM']It is very difficult to make government-run industries work efficiently...I have no doubt about that, because I see it all the time. However, just because it is difficult doesn't mean that it isn't worthwhile.

And there is competition...Or there should be, in the form of an alternate party (or parties) to vote for on the next election. If you don't live up to your obligations...You should get replaced in government.

Why this kind of thing doesn't come up more in US politics, I have no idea. People rail against politicians for doing whatever they want...but don't appear to hold them accountable at the polls. (This observation is only a casual one - I cannot fully back it up)

Regardless, privatization hardly strikes me as a cure for inefficient government infrastructure...When the efficiency of a private company is designed to profit at the expenses of people. Especially in the service industry, because they are not utilizing a natural resource to obtain profits. The profits essentially have to be drawn from a static pool of $$.

So what would a private takeover of the post office do to make things more efficient and better their margin?...Lay off people, outsource more work overseas, use more part-time workers to avoid benefits...The result of a private post office might be replacing your full-time work week with three part-timers.

Personally, I think you have to look beyond profits for the rewards of running your own infrastructure services...Keeping it in the hands of the people is its own reward. Employing people at home is a reward. Keeping wages at a place where people can afford to buy their own house is a reward.

I have to admit, though...I'm not sure that I see the post office as one of those integral pieces of infrastructure...And would probably not put up much of a fight over privatization. Canada has already started doing that, to a certain extent...And it hasn't made that much of a difference.

So I guess I am for privatization, after all. :huh:

BZ[/quote]
Sure, try to get rid of my job.
:lmao:
I don't care. I'm in school to get a better job.
When you say there are 2 parties for competition, thats not true either.
They only care about staying in power. Fuck them. Either party does what it can to get a majority of the vote, even when that mean just talking about a problem and not really acting.
Fuck gov.
Total Anarchy.

Well, fuck me too. I'm drunk.
Red Bull and Sky Vodka
Hell Ya.
If drinking is a sin, I'm going to hell.

Archived