Reds select Drew Stubbs OF Texas

I think Stubbs is a great pick... With all 3 of our outfielders futures uncertain in Cincy (no longterm deals yet) this guy could be a sign of great things to come for the Reds.

[quote]Baseball America rated Stubbs as the best college athlete and best defensive player in this year's draft and the second fastest baserunner and third-best power hitter.[/quote]

Guest Johnsons4Life
[quote]Round 2: Sean Watson, a right-handed pitcher from the University of Tennessee. He was the Vols' closer this year, going 4-3 with a 4.61 ERA and 11 saves.[/quote]

I know stats dont tell it all. But for round 2 those are some shitty stats.

[quote name='Johnsons4Life' post='278681' date='Jun 6 2006, 11:38 PM']I know stats dont tell it all. But for round 2 those are some shitty stats.[/quote]

Ive watched a lot of this guy. When his stuff is on he is lights out. Hopefully the reds pitching coaches can get him to be alittle more consistent.

[quote name='Johnsons4Life' post='278681' date='Jun 6 2006, 11:38 PM']I know stats dont tell it all. But for round 2 those are some shitty stats.[/quote]
It's probably because they use aluminum bats in college and when you get a hold of the ball...it will probably fly.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='dieselman44' post='278683' date='Jun 6 2006, 11:46 PM']Ive watched a lot of this guy. When his stuff is on he is lights out. Hopefully the reds pitching coaches can get him to be alittle more consistent.[/quote]

that is usually the biggest problem players seem to have coming into the minors. I watched a lot of the Clemens pitching on Sportscenter/ESPN and they talked a lot about pitchers and hitters in the early minors and i learned quite a bit about it today.

[size=2][b]Reds First Day Picks[/b][/size]

Round/Player Pos. Age Ht., Wt. School (hometown)
1. Drew Stubbs OF 21 6-3, 210 U. of Texas (Atlanta, Texas)
2. Sean Watson RHP 20 6-2, 210 U. of Tennessee (Miami)
3. Chris Valaika SS 20 6-0, 195 UC-Santa Barbara (Valencia, Calif.)
4. Justin Reed OF 18 5-11, 179 Hillcrest Christian HS (Jackson, Miss.)
5. Josh Ravin RHP 18 6-5, 195 Chatsworth HS (Reseda, Calif.)
6. Jordan Smith RHP 20 6-4, 210 S. Nevada CC (Pleasant Grove, Utah)
7. Justin Turner 2B 21 6-0, 190 Cal State-Fullerton (Fullerton, Calif.)
8. Travis Webb LHP 21 6-4, 205 Washington State (Spokane, Wash.)
9. Jeremy Burchett RHP 22 6-3, 210 U. Calif.-Berkeley (Coto de Caza, Calif.)
10. James Roenicke RHP 23 6-3, 195 UCLA (Los Angeles)
11. Brandon Rice RHP 18 6-4, 208 Spalding HS (Griffin, Ga.)
12. Logan Parker 1B 21 6-3, 220 U. of Cincinnati (Odessa, Texas)
13. Kevin Gunter RHP 22 6-3, 210 Old Dominion (Richland, N.J.)
14. Carson Kainer OF 21 6-1, 185 U. of Texas (Tomball, Texas)
15. Rafael Sanchez 3B 19 6-1, 190 Queensborough CC (New York)
16. Jamie Arneson LHP 20 6-5, 195 Bakersfield College (Bakersfield, Calif.)
17. Chris Heisey OF 21 6-0, 195 Messiah College (Mount Joy, Pa.)
18. Ryan Wehrle SS 21 6-3, 205 Nebraska (Papillion, Neb.)

Guest WhoDeyForever

[quote name='whodeybengals59' post='278780' date='Jun 7 2006, 10:14 AM']Myspace:
[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=45689615"]Brandon Rice[/url]
[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8175215"]Josh Raven[/url][/quote]

:lol: Thats awesome

Tennessee was after my son for that role of "Closer". Not as big as this kid though.

[img]http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/tenn/sports/m-basebl/06biopics/Watson-Sean.jpg[/img]

Outstanding portfolio out of High School

Graduated from Florida Christian School in Miami, Fla. ... [b]Drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the 21st round in 2003 ... Rated as the No. 36 overall prospect and the No. 14 right-handed pitcher among incoming freshmen by Baseball America ... [/b] [u]Fashioned a 12-0 mark as a senior with a 0.67 ERA, striking out 127 in 74 innings with just 20 walks ... As a first baseman and designated hitter, he batted .500 with nine home runs and 46 RBI ... Helped his team reach the state semifinals in 2003 ... Was a four-time All-City selection[/u] ... Led Florida Bombers to the 2003 WWBA Senior Championship in East Cobb, Ga. ... Named most valuable pitcher at the tournament ... At the 2001 WWBA Championship in Jupiter, Fla., he pitched a one-hit shutout ... In 2002, he appeared in the Underclassmen Showcase at Fort Myers, Fla., the National Showcase at St. Petersburg, Fla., and the East Coast Pro Showcase at Wilmington, N.C. [b]... He won two of the seven games the USA Youth National Team won at the World Championships in Veracruz, Mexico in 2002 ... [/b] [u]Also played for the Florida Bombers national championship 18-and-under team for four years ... [/u] Coached by Ernie Padron ... Also attended Westminster Christian and Gulliver Prep.

Archived