• Bruce Sutter
    • Dan Quisenberry
    • John Franco
    • Dennis Eckersley
    • Lee Smith
    • Mariano Rivera
    • other

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Master Shake' post='286458' date='Jun 23 2006, 11:55 PM']I voted for Eck... Joe Oliver aside, the guy was as automatic a 9th as it's ever gotten[/quote]

think how good Eric Gagne coulda been if healthy tho. He coulda easily been the best ever, its kinda sad to see careers like that ruined.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Kochman' post='286450' date='Jun 23 2006, 10:43 PM']I thought I was going to be the only one voting for Big Lee. The guy got it done.[/quote]

i voted for Lee, he was amazing.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='286463' date='Jun 23 2006, 11:59 PM']think how good Eric Gagne coulda been if healthy tho. He coulda easily been the best ever, its kinda sad to see careers like that ruined.[/quote]

that is true he could have been one of the best

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='286463' date='Jun 24 2006, 12:59 AM']think how good Eric Gagne coulda been if healthy tho. He coulda easily been the best ever, its kinda sad to see careers like that ruined.[/quote]

I can't help but wonder, tho, if the main part of what made Gagne successful was that he threw every pitch as hard as he could, and ultimately his arm problems were inevitable. Sort of like Rob Dibble, Mark Wohlers, Rob Nen, and others, he left it all out on the mound.
Certainly he had arguably the greatest single season of any closer, but a lot of these guys, like NFL RBs, seem to burn out early.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Master Shake' post='286588' date='Jun 24 2006, 02:59 PM']I can't help but wonder, tho, if the main part of what made Gagne successful was that he threw every pitch as hard as he could, and ultimately his arm problems were inevitable. Sort of like Rob Dibble, Mark Wohlers, Rob Nen, and others, he left it all out on the mound.
Certainly he had arguably the greatest single season of any closer, but a lot of these guys, like NFL RBs, seem to burn out early.[/quote]

his problem was that nasty breaking ball he threw. That thing caused hell on his arm. From what ive heard thru a few doctors as friends/family that how hard u throw doesnt do hardly any damage as compared to the breaking balls. A couple of them said that if u were to throw a 98mph fastball or a 12-6 curve that it would be better on ur arm for the 98mph fastball. Gagne had some really disgusting offspeed stuff so thats probably what caused it....that and rushing back.

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='286602' date='Jun 24 2006, 04:01 PM']his problem was that nasty breaking ball he threw. That thing caused hell on his arm. From what ive heard thru a few doctors as friends/family that how hard u throw doesnt do hardly any damage as compared to the breaking balls. A couple of them said that if u were to throw a 98mph fastball or a 12-6 curve that it would be better on ur arm for the 98mph fastball. Gagne had some really disgusting offspeed stuff so thats probably what caused it....that and rushing back.[/quote]

Yeah, I totally agree, and that nasty pitch was a huge reason for his and so many other closers success...

that's why guys like Smith, Sutter, Gossage, and Rivera are so impressive because they were able to throw gas + a nasty 2nd pitch for years without throwing out their arms.

Guys like Eckersley, Hoffman, Franco... never threw as hard, and relied more on pinpoint control and put far less stress on their arms.

Archived