** OFFICIAL OHIO STATE BUCKEYES FOOTBALL THREAD

Guest WhoDeyForever

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='312880' date='Aug 9 2006, 10:17 PM']i think id be more apt to agreeing with you on the subject if it wasnt a home game [b]and if tressel wasnt our head coach[/b][/quote]

Bingo! They will be practicing with the focus on that game.

You don't win 5 National Championships by looking ahead. 1 win at a time.

Is anybody else watching this prediction thing they are doing on sportscenter. That has to be the biggest waste of time ive ever seen. We already know you absolutly hate osu MArk May so why dont you quit wasting my time and go ahead and predict a 3-9 season for osu.

Mark May just said that Ioaw matches up with OSU well! Did you watch last years game Mark?

I thought Osu might have gotten alittle bit of respect by being voted the preseason #1, but its same old same old with espn, osu haters.

[quote name='dieselman44' post='317759' date='Aug 17 2006, 09:45 AM']Is anybody else watching this prediction thing they are doing on sportscenter. That has to be the biggest waste of time ive ever seen. We already know you absolutly hate osu MArk May so why dont you quit wasting my time and go ahead and predict a 3-9 season for osu.

Mark May just said that Ioaw matches up with OSU well! Did you watch last years game Mark?

I thought Osu might have gotten alittle bit of respect by being voted the preseason #1, but its same old same old with espn, osu haters.[/quote]
It's basically rediculous....SC is the same program that put Baltimore back into the playoffs...based off there power rankings.

I can't wait until we drill Texas and SC has to find a new National Champion. I can't wait to see the michigan predictions.

you think they would have just come out and said well lose to texas, penn st, iowa, and michigan, plus whatever bpw; game we get.

they just bypassed the texas game just assuming wed lose... which wont happen. god, i hate sportscenter now. whats sad is it actually used to be a quality show, i swear.

:blink: Whom is the quaterback for Texas now, and how in the hell can SC say Texas will have a cake walk of a game beating Ohio State with Ted Ginn and Troy Smith playing lights out. Without Vince Young Texas offensice threat isn't as great, and thier defense isn't that good.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Big Ten preview: Ohio State[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Reloading just fact of life for No. 1 Buckeyes[/b][/size]

By Teddy Greenstein
Chicago Tribune staff reporter
August 18, 2006, 11:36 PM CDT

Maurice Clarett did not exactly make the most of his educational opportunities at Ohio State. But even he probably could tell you the word "rebuilding" does not exist in the Buckeyes' lexicon.

Consider that Ohio State had five players—A.J. Hawk, Donte Whitner, Bobby Carpenter, Santonio Holmes and Nick Mangold—snapped up in the first round of the NFL draft, two more in the third round and another pair in the fourth.

Then consider where Ohio State begins this season—ranked atop the Associated Press media poll and USA Today coaches' poll and rated No. 1 by a slew of preview magazines.

It's hard to believe a school could lose so many studs and still earn so much acclaim.

"It says a lot about our coaching staff and recruiting ability," center Doug Datish says. "Since I've been here, we have had to reload two different times and each time they said, 'There's no way.' Then all of a sudden, we're third or first in the country."

If Ohio State gets to first in the country this season, voters might have a challenge choosing between two Heisman Trophy candidates: quarterback Troy Smith and receiver Ted Ginn Jr.

Ohio State:

Will contend for a Big Ten title if … A bunch of linebackers you never have heard of make Buckeyes fans forget about Hawk, Carpenter and Anthony Schlegel. Brainy Big Ten observers actually might remember John Kerr, who led Indiana with 114 tackles as a freshman. Then he sat out as a transfer, played on the scout team in 2004 and relieved Hawk&Co. last season.

The Buckeyes also have to break in an entirely new secondary. While casual fans recall Ohio State's offensive explosions at Michigan and in the Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame, the reality is that the Buckeyes won with defense. They allowed 73.4 rushing yards per game, fewest in the nation, and their 44 sacks led the conference.

Will drive coach Jim Tressel nuts if … The Buckeyes continue to cough up the football. They easily could have lost to Michigan after fumbling four times, losing the ball twice. And backup quarterback Justin Zwick fumbled on the first play of the last significant drive in a loss to Texas.

The Buckeyes' indispensable players are … Defensive tackles Quinn Pitcock and David Patterson—the only returning starters on "D"—and right tackle Kirk Barton. Smith and Ginn have the most talent, but they have able backups in Zwick and Roy Hall, respectively.

In a word, the schedule can be described as … Electric. And it's all because of one date—a Sept. 9 clash at Texas. On stubhub.com, the cheapest ticket is being sold for $410. And the best will set you back around $2,000. The Buckeyes' first two Big Ten games also are intriguing—vs. Penn State and at Iowa in prime time.

Last season's defining moment was … Smith's 26-yard completion to Anthony Gonzalez during the game-winning drive at Michigan. After avoiding the rush, Smith fired to Gonzalez, who held on at the 4-yard line despite getting upended. The subsequent touchdown landed Ohio State a spot in the Fiesta Bowl.

This season will be considered a success if … The Buckeyes win the national championship. That's the reality when you enter the season ranked No. 1 and you have beaten Michigan four times in the last five years.

Toughest player to replace is … Kicker Josh Huston. Maybe. Huston nailed 22 of 26 field-goal attempts inside 49 yards last season, and the Buckeyes figure to play close games again in '06. Standout rugby player Ryan Pretorious is the favorite to replace Huston.

One player who needs to step up is … Ginn. He might be the nation's best return man and most exciting player, but the Buckeyes need him to replace Holmes' production (53 catches, 977 yards). After being invisible in the early-season loss to Texas, Ginn had three dominant performances: vs. Illinois (138 receiving yards), at Michigan (eight catches, 89 yards) and against Notre Dame (touchdowns on 56-yard pass and 68-yard reverse).

[i]tgreenstein@tribune.com [/i][/quote]

[url="http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/cs-060818osu,1,6342038.story?coll=cs-home-headlines"]http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]A signature event for OSU fans and players[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Well, at least for a lot of the 28,000 who showed up for a Buckeyes autograph session and practice under the lights.[/b][/size]
By Doug Harris

Dayton Daily News Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

COLUMBUS — Say this for Ohio State fans: They don't hold a grudge.

Although thousands were disheartened when time ran out on a free autograph session, they put aside their discontent once the Buckeyes' open practice began Monday under the lights at Ohio Stadium.

Flashbulbs popped among the crowd of 28,000 as the team ran through drills. The fans roared during practice kickoffs — letting out a collective "aah" when the ball was struck — and they emptied their lungs when the marching band made an unannounced appearance.

"It was a great experience for our guys," coach Jim Tressel said. "They were talking about how, at the line of scrimmage, they couldn't hear. And they had to communicate a little more like it was game-like (conditions).

"It's a great reminder of the responsibility we have. People care deeply about Ohio State football."

OSU paid $18,000 to rent the portable lights, but it could be money well spent if the Buckeyes put an end to their streak of nocturnal failures.

They lost under the lights at Penn State last year, at Northwestern in 2004 and at Wisconsin in '03, They have two night games this season — at Texas on Sept. 9 and at Iowa on Sept. 30.

"We don't have lights on our practice field," Tressel said, "so, typically, we don't get a lot of night rehearsal. ... I think your juices get flowing a little bit, and it was great to see how many (fans) came out."[/quote]

[b]UC's largest crowd for a regular season game last year was 25,893 vs West Virginia......
and they averaged 22,223[/b] (per Lance McAlister)

Guest oldschooler
I was shocked to see the guys from ESPN pick the Bucks
to win it all yesterday on Sports Center !

Even Mark Mays picked the Bucks to beat USC !

Of course the hater didn`t pick them to beat Texas the round before
that, and was forced to pick between Ohio State and USC....

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]POISED for GREATNESS [/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Quarterback Troy Smith has honed his ability to anticipate through hours of study [/b] [/size]
Sunday, August 27, 2006
Tim May
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Anyone who has had a video-game controller in his hands with NCAA Football ’07 on the screen has seen some of the same things Troy Smith will see at quarterback for Ohio State this season.

But Smith, who plays that video game as well as anyone, will tell you two major aspects that separate it from the real thing.

"In that game, you don’t get hit, or at least you don’t feel it," he said. "And in that game, if you throw an interception you can just hit reset and start all over."

He learned in the early stages of his career at OSU that the hits are real and do-overs are far from instantaneous.

"The first time I got my clock cleaned I understood this was big-time football," Smith said. "In that respect, that part of the game changed, my sense of urgency. I realized that if I have a chance to get out of the way, then I better get out of the way, or get killed."

As for his reputation of being a running-passing quarterback, he worked most of last season to make it a passing fancy.

"It’s no longer a lot of rushes for me, I hope," said Smith, a fifth-year senior who already has a degree in communications. "It’s a lot of getting rid of the ball and preserving my body a little bit."

To do that, he has learned to play the game as much with his mind as with his arm and feet. During the offseason, he spent uncounted hours watching video, from his team’s offense to upcoming defenses and his team’s defenses.

"The thing I like about Troy’s approach right now is he wants to know ‘Why?’ " said coach Jim Tressel, who has instilled in Smith the idea of "learning to think like the opposing defensive coordinator."

But in 2004, when Smith first flashed onto the scene taking the place of an injured Justin Zwick midway through the season, it was primarily his feet doing the work.

"Like he’ll tell you, at times he was just ‘balling,’ " Tressel said. "He wasn’t playing quarterback. I think he realized we weren’t interested in having a guy just going out and balling, that we were interested in developing a quarterback."

On the way to beating Michigan in 2004, Smith showed he could do what it took. But then he took a back seat again when he had to sit out the Alamo Bowl win over Oklahoma State and the 2005 opening win over Miami University for taking $500 from a booster. It also made him the backup for what turned out to be a loss to Texas.

"You have to make decisions as coaches, sometimes at the expense of progress," Tressel said. "But you have to have lessons learned."

That was a major lesson in humility for Smith, said Gary Danielson, who watched Ohio State closely the past few years as an analyst with ABC and is now with CBS. Danielson said it might have been a turning point for the team, as well.

"I think what Troy needed to learn, and I think Tressel did a great job of teaching this, is you never really have it, that you can never really stop working, that things are always changing," Danielson said. "This game is an ongoing process. I guess what I’m saying is, Troy figured out, ‘Hey, this ain’t easy.’ "

Football is no video game. It’s about studying video of opposing defenses for tens of hours. Then in the game, it’s about being alert not only to the way the defense reacts to certain formations, but also to the gambits the defense likes to play.

"From your pregame preparation, and then paying attention throughout the game, it helps you understand what a defense might be about to bring and what’s going on," Smith said. "That’s how you have to treat every game. The more you know, the better you’ll be."

Smith exudes knowledge and curiosity, receiver Anthony Gonzalez said, which is why he believes Smith is primed for this season.

"I have been saying it: I believe after this season ends he will go down as the best quarterback in Ohio State history," Gonzalez said. "That’s pretty high praise, but that’s what I believe."

Other teammates are also impressed.

"It’s the respect that he commands when he steps into that huddle," right guard T.J. Downing said. "Nobody is messing around, nobody is talking. All eyes are on him, and ears are open.

"And field-wise, you can tell he sees things so much better (compared to two years ago). I can understand for a quarterback stepping in there for the first time that everything must seem like a blur. But now, you can tell everything is so clear to him."

Smith calls it "anticipation."

"There’s all kinds of plays where you feel or sense through your peripherals what’s going on and your preparation kicks in, and that pretty much guides you through a play," he said.

That’s how Smith and Ohio State sliced and diced Notre Dame for 617 yards in a Fiesta Bowl victory in January. He did his homework. That’s one reason why Tressel has no reservations promoting him as a Heisman Trophy candidate.

"I think it starts with his competitiveness, and he loves to lead," Tressel said. "He’s got a flair about him. … Great players have that something about them that maybe others don’t. He’s got an aura about him that I think is special.

"Then you take a lot of those natural traits and add it to the work ethic he has to become a good quarterback, and I think that’s the progress you’re seeing in his evolution."

tmay@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/football/football.php?story=dispatch/2006/08/27/20060827-E1-00.html"]http://www.dispatch.com/football/football....0827-E1-00.html[/url]

[quote name='dieselman44' post='324562' date='Aug 27 2006, 01:00 PM']Mark May is a bitch. All he does is hate on OSU and if you listen to his facts about other teams, he total contradicts what he just said about OSU.[/quote]

That author is Tim May.

[quote name='dieselman44' post='324766' date='Aug 27 2006, 09:22 PM']I was talking about the black analyst for college football on espn.[/quote]

I agree with you about Mark May. But your comment came following an article by Tim May, I assumed you were thinking it was by Mark May.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]OSU football fans taking over Austin for Texas game[/b][/size]
By John Maher

Cox News Service

Sunday, August 27, 2006

AUSTIN, Texas — Ohio State has been allotted just 4,000 tickets to sell to its football fans for the Sept. 9 showdown against the Texas Longhorns, but there'll be far more people wearing scarlet and gray in Austin that weekend.

[b]"We're projecting 35,000 or 40,000 people," [/b] said Bruce Brandel, vice president of the Austin chapter of the Ohio State Alumni Association.

Fans of the No. 1-ranked Buckeyes plan to take over the University of Texas' 16,000-seat basketball arena, go partying at Stubbs (well-known for its barbeque and music), cruise on the boat tours and try some pub crawls.

"It's not uncommon for fans to just want to be where the team and other fans are, especially when it's a big game, out of state, against a highly ranked opponent," Brandel said. "People will treat it like a minivacation."

Most of them probably won't even get into the stadium for the game — a rematch of two of college football's top-five teams that is being touted as an early barometer on the national championship race.

"You'll probably have 10,000 people coming down hoping to get a ticket at the last minute," said Randy Cohen, owner of Ticket City.

Actually, their aim is to turn Austin into a slice of Columbus, at least for one weekend.

On game day in Columbus, one of the highlights is the Skull Session for the Ohio State band — a combination dress rehearsal/pep rally held a few blocks from the stadium at St. John Arena.

Hmm ... the Erwin Center, where the Longhorns play basketball, is a few blocks away from Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

So, for $10,000, the Ohio State Alumni Association has rented the Erwin Center for an afternoon pregame party Sept. 9.

Erwin Center director John Graham said some other visiting schools have rented a part of the building, but he can't remember anyone ever taking the whole place.

"We'll play for our alumni and friends and then march over to the stadium," said Ohio State band director Jon R. Woods, who is bringing his entire 225-piece ensemble.

In Columbus, about the only pregame tradition better than the Skull Session is the partying at the Varsity Club, which on game days has a big outdoor lot packed with beer drinkers.

Hmm ... Stubbs has a big outdoor amphitheater.

So, with some help from the Varsity Club, the Buckeyes have lined up Stubbs, the combination barbecue joint and music venue on Red River Street, for Friday night and Saturday.

"It'll be just like being at the VC," the Austin alumni chapter's Web site urges.

The Stubbs hub will serve as sort of a staging area for Buckeyes. They'll leave there for the Erwin Center, then go to the game.

Well, at least some of them will head to the game. They have been calling ticket agencies here, but many will find themselves priced out of the market.

"They're pretty frugal, but they'll pay when they have to," said Cohen, who hinted at $1,000 tickets. "These are the two biggest-spending sports schools on the planet. ... This is the World Cup of football."[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/osu/ddn082706texas.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...82706texas.html[/url]

If you look at our team on offense or defense we are completely stacked. We have depth, everything a National Championship team needs. Star QB, Troy Smith is "Poised for Greatness" Ted Ginn Jr. is something special, everyone knows that. But someone that people really dont know about is Ray Smalls, he also went to Cleveland-Glenville (HS of Troy and Ted) and Ted Ginn Sr. said that he is "The best reciever I have ever coached".. now put 2 and 2 together and you have a reciever better than teddy. Now you have Ted and ray on kickoff returns, you have gonzo in the slot, Roy Hall as a split (David Boston type guns) Now lets all look back to the national championship season, Matt Wilhelm, Kenny Peterson, Mike Doss, Donnie Nickey, Will Smith, Darion Scott... All these guys we thought were irreplaceable but look who stepped in.. A.J Hawk, nate salley etc.. Jim knows what he is doing with the defense, if we lose a bunch of guys, there is a bunch more coming up. Then what about Larry Grant, our knew LB, the guy runs like a 4.4, he was the National Player of the Year in junior college. Thats not just at a specific position that is overall. Then Schlegal who has been plauged by injuries more than anyone will be here, hopefully healthy (Schlegal was recruited higher than A.J. when they were both recruited)... by the way, we have like five 5th year seniors... come on give me a break. The offensive line is monsterous, you wont be able to Maurice wells in the backfield. Then you got Pittman, just the overall best HB, maurice Wells-Speed Specialist, and Chris "Beanie" Wells- Could be better that Clarett, hopefully knows bow to act though. That is my preview of this upcoming season. Go Bucks! and Fuck Everyone Else, Except the Bengals and Reds.

:headbang:

[quote name='J. Lindsey' post='324986' date='Aug 28 2006, 01:10 PM']If you look at our team on offense or defense we are completely stacked. We have depth, everything a National Championship team needs. Star QB, Troy Smith is "Poised for Greatness" Ted Ginn Jr. is something special, everyone knows that. But someone that people really dont know about is Ray Smalls, he also went to Cleveland-Glenville (HS of Troy and Ted) and Ted Ginn Sr. said that he is "The best reciever I have ever coached".. now put 2 and 2 together and you have a reciever better than teddy. Now you have Ted and ray on kickoff returns, you have gonzo in the slot, Roy Hall as a split (David Boston type guns) Now lets all look back to the national championship season, Matt Wilhelm, Kenny Peterson, Mike Doss, Donnie Nickey, Will Smith, Darion Scott... All these guys we thought were irreplaceable but look who stepped in.. A.J Hawk, nate salley etc.. Jim knows what he is doing with the defense, if we lose a bunch of guys, there is a bunch more coming up. Then what about Larry Grant, our knew LB, the guy runs like a 4.4, he was the National Player of the Year in junior college. Thats not just at a specific position that is overall. Then Schlegal who has been plauged by injuries more than anyone will be here, hopefully healthy (Schlegal was recruited higher than A.J. when they were both recruited)... by the way, we have like five 5th year seniors... come on give me a break. The offensive line is monsterous, you wont be able to Maurice wells in the backfield. Then you got Pittman, just the overall best HB, maurice Wells-Speed Specialist, and Chris "Beanie" Wells- Could be better that Clarett, hopefully knows bow to act though. That is my preview of this upcoming season. Go Bucks! and Fuck Everyone Else, Except the Bengals and Reds.

:headbang:[/quote]

Smalls wont see the field too much. Larry Grant wont be a starter. And hopefully Maurice Wells wont touch the ball at all this season. But other than that I understand your logic.

[quote name='J. Lindsey' post='324986' date='Aug 28 2006, 01:10 PM']If you look at our team on offense or defense we are completely stacked. We have depth, everything a National Championship team needs. Star QB, Troy Smith is "Poised for Greatness" Ted Ginn Jr. is something special, everyone knows that. But someone that people really dont know about is Ray Smalls, he also went to Cleveland-Glenville (HS of Troy and Ted) and [b]Ted Ginn Sr. said that he is "The best reciever I have ever coached".. now put 2 and 2 together and you have a reciever better than teddy.[/b] Now you have Ted and ray on kickoff returns, you have gonzo in the slot, Roy Hall as a split (David Boston type guns) Now lets all look back to the national championship season, Matt Wilhelm, Kenny Peterson, Mike Doss, Donnie Nickey, Will Smith, Darion Scott... All these guys we thought were irreplaceable but look who stepped in.. A.J Hawk, nate salley etc.. Jim knows what he is doing with the defense, if we lose a bunch of guys, there is a bunch more coming up. Then what about Larry Grant, our knew LB, the guy runs like a 4.4, he was the National Player of the Year in junior college. Thats not just at a specific position that is overall. Then Schlegal who has been plauged by injuries more than anyone will be here, hopefully healthy (Schlegal was recruited higher than A.J. when they were both recruited)... by the way, we have like five 5th year seniors... come on give me a break. The offensive line is monsterous, you wont be able to Maurice wells in the backfield. Then you got Pittman, just the overall best HB, maurice Wells-Speed Specialist, and Chris "Beanie" Wells- Could be better that Clarett, hopefully knows bow to act though. That is my preview of this upcoming season. Go Bucks! and Fuck Everyone Else, Except the Bengals and Reds.

:headbang:[/quote]

The only flaw in the logic is that TG2 never played WR in high school.

[quote name='Jason' post='325134' date='Aug 28 2006, 04:30 PM']The only flaw in the logic is that TG2 never played WR in high school.[/quote]

Ten Ginn Sr. was giving that compliment to Ray Smalls Jason. The first time I read it I made the same mistake, I thought he was talking about Ted Ginn Jr.

[quote name='dieselman44' post='325143' date='Aug 28 2006, 04:33 PM']Ten Ginn Sr. was giving that compliment to Ray Smalls Jason. The first time I read it I made the same mistake, I thought he was talking about Ted Ginn Jr.[/quote]

I know that. What I am saying is he can't compare Small as a HS WR to TG2 as a HS WR because TG2 didn't play the position. If he had, I would hazzard a guess that Small would have been the 2nd best.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]OSU's Ginn may be even faster, but still won't play defense[/b][/size]
By Doug Harris

Staff Writer

Thursday, August 31, 2006

COLUMBUS — Ohio State receiver and kick returner Ted Ginn Jr. apparently won't be tacking on a stint at defensive back to his already glittering resume.

Although he was the national defensive player of the year as a cornerback at Cleveland Glenville High School, the nimble junior hasn't even practiced there since the 2004 preseason.

"I'm fine with it," Ginn said. "I just grew out of it."

Chris Gamble found a niche playing both ways in 2002 and '03, but the Buckeyes may not be as desperate for a cover corner as they were then.

"I think there was a time that it was (right) for Chris Gamble," Ginn said. "It was a good fit for him.

But right now, we have some guys on the defensive side that can play good defense and actually cover guys. There's no need for me to get over there."

Ginn had 51 catches for 803 yards last season and had a breakout game in the Fiesta Bowl with 260 all-purpose yards.

"Ted, since the spring, has really come on as a top-flight receiver," fellow wideout Anthony Gonzalez said. "He's done so much from a physical standpoint in terms of getting more explosive and getting faster and stronger, which is scary to think about. And on top of that, his knowledge of the game has really taken off in the last eight months."

Ginn already owns the OSU career record for punt-return TDs with five, and he's corrected a flaw in his footwork that could make him even more threatening.

"We tweaked his feet to help get him going a little faster," said receivers coach Darrell Hazell, who handles the kicking units. "They were too close together. We've widened them out. Hopefully, that will make him a little more shifty."

[b]Rules favor underdogs?[/b]

College football has altered its rules to speed up the game, starting the clock on kickoffs once the ball leaves the tee and when it's spotted after a change of possession.

"I've guessed that it will take eight to 10 plays off the game," Northern Illinois coach Joe Novak said. "Other coaches have guessed 15-20 less plays, and that will be a big impact. Fewer plays in the game will favor an underdog. ... I think you'll even see a few more upsets then usual."

[b]Eyes not on Texas?[/b]

OSU players have been persistent in saying they haven't peeked ahead to Texas, but Novak is skeptical.

"I think the coaches understand that you never want to overlook anybody, but I think you have a hard time selling that to the players at times," he said.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2125 or at dharris@daytondailynews.com[/quote]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Scouting the Buckeyes: OSU wants other teams to be nervous[/b][/size]
Friday, September 01, 2006
Dayton Daily News

Ohio State doesn't start fall classes until Sept. 20, but that doesn't mean quarterback Troy Smith and his mates haven't had to do some cramming these days.

The team's overstuffed playbook is keeping them busy enough.

Sixth-year coach Jim Tressel, who wasn't known for offensive innovation during his early tenure, is determined for the Buckeyes to be as creative and multi-faceted as they were at the end of last season.

"We would like people to be nervous about us running by them (on pass routes). We would like people to be nervous about us pounding them. We would like people to be nervous that we might run the option at them. ... There's not much we don't want to be," he said.

Given all the firepower at his fingertips, Tressel might just get his wish.

The Buckeyes ripped off seven wins in a row to capture a Big Ten co-championship in 2005, averaging 38.3 points in that span. They capped a 10-2 season with a 34-20 Fiesta Bowl victory over Notre Dame.

Although they must replace two quality linemen in Nick Mangold and Rob Sims and their leading receiver in Santonio Holmes, the rest of the offense will be suiting up again and may be able to carry the revamped defense until it learns to assert itself.

[b]Season snapshot[/b]

[b]New faces:[/b] Seldom has the nation?s preseason No. 1 team had such a paucity of proven players. Nine defenders, plus a kicker, will debut as full-time starters Saturday. Will one game give them enough seasoning for the Sept. 9 showdown at Texas?

[b]Scoring machine:[/b] The Buckeyes had never finished higher than eighth in the Big Ten in total offense during Tressel?s first four seasons, but they ended 2005 on a roll and should be able to pile up points at a healthy clip this year.

[b]Kicking game:[/b] The Buckeyes have had the best punter-kicker combo in the Big Ten the past four years. A.J. Trapasso can be expected to have another solid punting year, but field goals could become an adventure for the first time since 2001.

[b]By the numbers[/b]

[b]7:[/b] Consecutive wins for OSU in 2005 after starting 3-2.

[b]3:[/b] Seasons in which the Buckeyes have been ranked fourth or higher in the final polls in coach Jim Tressel's five years.

[b]1:[/b] Player in OSU history who has tallied 2,000 yards passing and 500 rushing in the same season after Troy Smith accomplished the feat last year.

[b]44:[/b] Quarterback sacks by Big Ten-leader OSU last season.

[b]-9:[/b] Turnover margin for the Buckeyes in 2005, the next-to-worst mark in the conference.

[b]Schedule[/b]

Sept. 2 N. ILLINOIS 3:30 p.m.

Sept. 9 at Texas 8 p.m.

Sept. 16 CINCINNATI Noon

Sept. 23 PENN STATE * TBA

Sept. 30 at Iowa * 8 p.m.

Oct. 7 BOWLING GREEN TBA

Oct. 14 at Michigan St. * TBA

Oct. 21 INDIANA * TBA

Oct. 28 MINNESOTA * 3:30 p.m.

Nov. 4 at Illinois * TBA

Nov. 11 at Northwestern * TBA

Nov. 18 MICHIGAN * 3:30 p.m.orthern Illinois

* Big Ten game

[b]Tickets[/b]

Ohio State won't have a public sale of tickets again this season. The Horseshoe will be packed.

Your best bet might be StubHub.com, where you can finds hundreds of tickets available in all price ranges. On eBay, a pair of season tickets are being offered for as low as $1,225 (about $400 above face value) and as high as $3,400.

[b]Three players you know now[/b]

[b]Senior QB Troy Smith (6-1, 215)[/b] finished first in the Big Ten and sixth nationally in passing efficiency last season and accounted for 27 touchdowns (16 passing, 11 rushing) while throwing just four interceptions. He's pretty good against Michigan, too.

[b]Junior WR Ted Ginn Jr. (6-0, 180)[/b] has been a kick-returning marvel in his first two years at OSU, but he also became a polished receiver at the end of last season, tallying a combined 17 receptions for 256 yards against Michigan and Notre Dame.

[b]Junior RB Antonio Pittman (5-11, 195)[/b] rushed for 1,331 yards last season — the second-highest total by an OSU sophomore behind Archie Griffin's 1,577 in 1973 — and finished on a rampage. All seven of Pittman's TDs came in the last five games.

[b]Three players you'll know in October[/b]

[b]Senior DT Quinn Pitcock (6-3, 295)[/b] hasn't exactly gone unnoticed, having earned second-team all-Big Ten honors last season. But he'll be expected to do more than just eat up blockers this season, and he looks like he's ready to oblige.

[b]Freshman RB Chris Wells (6-1, 225)[/b] has lived up to his billing as the nation's top prospect at his position, dragging defenders during intrasquad drills. If he can break tackles against his teammates, he ought to be able to trample some opponents.

[b]Sophomore CB Malcolm Jenkins (6-1, 202)[/b] made three starts for the injured Tyler Everett last season, and some believe the Buckeyes D actually improved. As a nickel back in the Fiesta Bowl, Jenkins provided shrink-wrap coverage and recorded nine tackles.

[b]The coach[/b]

Jim Tressel will take a 50-13 record into his sixth season, and his .793 winning percentage is better than the marks produced by John Cooper (.715), Earle Bruce (.755) and even Woody Hayes (.761). What's more, Tressel has delivered in the games that matter the most, going 4-1 both in bowls and against Michigan.[/quote]

[quote]Ginn already owns the OSU career record for punt-return TDs with five, and he's corrected a flaw in his footwork that could make him even more threatening.

"We tweaked his feet [b]to help get him going a little faster[/b]," said receivers coach Darrell Hazell, who handles the kicking units. "They were too close together. We've widened them out. Hopefully, [b]that will make him a little more shifty[/b]."[/quote]

:o :huh: :blink: :EMOTICON BIG SMILE:

Scary thought.

Archived