----- LEVI JONES SIGNED !!!!! -----

Guest fredtoast

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='300976' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:12 PM']Who in the fuck are you talking about? i thought this was a thread about levi getting his big money deal from the Bengals, which is a great move, by the way. I wonder how they have the deal set up. Is it cap-friendly, like when Carson got his $118 million deal? Everybody and their momma knows that Carson had his deal set up so that they could sign his protection to long term deals.[/quote]
Was talking about free agents, I just asked if Madieu was up after this year.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='300974' date='Jul 25 2006, 09:09 PM']yea it makes pretty good business sense to wait until the player hits a pro bowl so your forced to pay him top dollar instead of extending a player with potential who cant demand top dollar and if he flops, your not taking a huge cap hit... :huh:[/quote]

what thurman said makes more sense though. he really hasn't done shit since his rookie season. i think he's got great potential and all but we gotta see it. so this is the year that he could prove himself and if he's worth extending then be it.

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='300979' date='Jul 25 2006, 09:20 PM']what thurman said makes more sense though. he really hasn't done shit since his rookie season. i think he's got great potential and all but we gotta see it. so this is the year that he could prove himself and if he's worth extending then be it.[/quote]

Well, to be fair, he was playing very well pre-injury in 2005.

Guest heldicus
LOL. Hobson is starting with his salary cap damage control pretty early this year.

"Oh don't look for any more signings this season, what with that rookie pool looming...it just isn't feasible"

What an arse pie.

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='GoBengals' post='300974' date='Jul 25 2006, 09:09 PM']yea it makes pretty good business sense to wait until the player hits a pro bowl so your forced to pay him top dollar instead of extending a player with potential who cant demand top dollar and if he flops, your not taking a huge cap hit... :huh:[/quote]

now im a huge madeiu fan and i think he will be a probowler along with 2 of the other Safeties in the North and it would be a great move by the bengals to get him longterm now, BUT as Madeius agent i would be an idiot if i told Madeiu to work on an extention because he wont have a shot at big money that way. I dont think they would even really be able to listen until he puts up a big year or is an FA.

Fantastic News...And I think the Bengals got the years (6) and the amount they wanted.

Even with some uncertainty around Steinbach and Willie, Levi and Bobbie are a great start to maintaining the line at a high level for 2007.

Just the same, I think you reach a point where you have to start plugging new players in...And I think we will be doing it at OG in 2007 and RT in 2008.

Still...The cap is in good shape, and there is room to work with. I just don't want to see a continuous escalation on the offensive side of the ball, with new players having to move into the D-side each year.

If we can get one more OLineman taken care of, it will be time to reevaluate and start extending the young D standouts next off-season. (whoever they may be)

BZ

Guest WhoDeyForever

Awesome shit...Glad to see Levi signed he was my favorite Lineman...Congrats to Levi..Thank you Marvin and the whole front office...This offense is gonna be very very scary for years to come :headbang:

[quote name='heldicus' post='300984' date='Jul 25 2006, 09:31 PM']LOL. Hobson is starting with his salary cap damage control pretty early this year.

"Oh don't look for any more signings this season, what with that rookie pool looming...it just isn't feasible"

What an arse pie.[/quote]

Yeah, Hobknob's at it again. We have 4 mil or so in our rookie pool and 9 draft picks plus some undrafted free agents. Depending on how many of them make the 53 man roster, the rookies combined will probably cost less than 1 mil more than the vets they displace on the roster. It's possible if someone like Thornton or Robinson gets cut that our rookies will save us money. They simply aren't a cap drain and shouldn't be used as an excuse for inaction.

[quote name='sparky151' post='301024' date='Jul 25 2006, 10:40 PM']Yeah, Hobknob's at it again. We have 4 mil or so in our rookie pool and 9 draft picks plus some undrafted free agents. [b]Depending on how many of them make the 53 man roster, the rookies combined will probably cost less than 1 mil more than the vets they displace on the roster. [/b] It's possible if someone like Thornton or Robinson gets cut that our rookies will save us money. They simply aren't a cap drain and shouldn't be used as an excuse for inaction.[/quote]

Exactly!! Hobbit has yet to understand this concept with the cap. By the way I'm working on the cap page (not updated on the site) just need to check my numbers and assumptions for Levi, but it looks like this new contract will count around $4.7MM vs. his original contract which was $2MM. This would bring the cap space down from $10.1MM to ~ $7.4MM.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='301043' date='Jul 25 2006, 10:54 PM']Exactly!! Hobbit has yet to understand this concept with the cap.[/quote]

Hobbit has yet to understand a lot of things... and I don't think he ever will. :)

Appreciate your insight into the [b]real[/b] cap situation (as opposed to the situation in Hobnob's imaginary world) Phatcat.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='300870' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:54 PM']Last year me my bro, dan, and Go were all there and some older dude asked us if he could trade us 3 Billicks for a Lewis...then some other chick said I hate your team but I love your coach....it was glorious.[/quote]

That was a great time. I can't wait to do it again this year.

Guest BlackJesus
[size=3][i][quote]“I’m happy that Mr. Brown and Mr. Zuckerman grinded it out and got it done,” Jones said. “Now I hope they make a valiant effort and keep the league’s No. 1 tackle tandem together. [b]I’m looking for my man to stay.” [/b]

The [b]first thing Jones asked[/b] Zuckerman after he signed off on the deal Tuesday is[b] if the Bengals had room under the salary cap to get Anderson[/b] and others.[/quote][/i][/size]

[center][size=3][b][color="#FF6600"]RE-SIGN WILLIE .... BOTH BOOKENDS SHOULD STAY ![/color][/b][/size][/center]

Archived