----- LEVI JONES SIGNED !!!!! -----

Guest fredtoast

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='300818' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:06 PM']Are you saying that all tackles (both right and left) would have the same franchise number? Or that tackles, guards, and centers would have the same franchise number?[/quote]

tackles, guards, and centers all have the same franchise number

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='300822' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:13 PM']I knew this would happen as soon as I quit reloading Bengals.com every 20 minutes looking for some good news on his extension. ;)

Finally something to be happy about. Hopefully Steiny's not too far behind... :headbang:[/quote]

Shit, I keep reloading it even though we have....I'm hoping that someone or a couple of someones sign tonight.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='300823' date='Jul 25 2006, 11:14 PM']Shit, I keep reloading it even though we have....I'm hoping that someone or a couple of someones sign tonight.[/quote]
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd love to see some of those draft pics get signed. I'm hopefull that if Brooks is there for all of camp to get into shape and learn the system that he'll be the beast he showed he could be at UVa. Something about Marvin and killer linebackers. At least they're finally wearing the right friggin jersey. I hate the Raisins and 'Skins. Lived in the DC area way too long, listening to their fans talk shit.

I won't mind going back to visit in the spring though... just to share a little WHO DEY joy with those morons. :thumbsup:

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='300831' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:20 PM']Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd love to see some of those draft pics get signed. I'm hopefull that if Brooks is there for all of camp to get into shape and learn the system that he'll be the beast he showed he could be at UVa. Something about Marvin and killer linebackers. At least they're finally wearing the right friggin jersey. I hate the Raisins and 'Skins. Lived in the DC area way too long, listening to their fans talk shit.

I won't mind going back to visit in the spring though... just to share a little WHO DEY joy with those morons. :thumbsup:[/quote]

I hear ya about skins fans.

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='300775' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:14 PM']what i meant by that comment , is that, he will catch the "TO Syndrome!!"[/quote]
haha i know what you were talking about i was fuckin withya

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='300833' date='Jul 25 2006, 11:22 PM']I hear ya about skins fans.[/quote]
I went to two Bengals games @ RFK, both of them close, but neither had the desired result. Same with my trips to Memorial Stadium, and Whatever the hell they're calling it today Satdium in Baltiwhore. It would be soo, so nice to be able to talk some shit back there.... :D

I'm smiling almost as big at that thought as I was last night listening to Marvin on WLW. The promised land is dead ahead. All aboard the Bengals Bandwagon!!

Thank god Dan Snyder was a friggin fool and decided to keep Spurrier instead of promoting Marvin. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img] I was so worried that he'd stay in DC. Having him land in Cincy was something I didn't even dare dream of.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='300841' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:27 PM']I went to two Bengals games @ RFK, both of them close, but neither had the desired result. Same with my trips to Memorial Stadium, and Whatever the hell they're calling it today Satdium in Baltiwhore. It would be soo, so nice to be able to talk some shit back there.... :D

I'm smiling almost as big at that thought as I was last night listening to Marvin on WLW. The promised land is dead ahead. All aboard the Bengals Bandwagon!!

Thank god Dan Snyder was a friggin fool and decided to keep Spurrier instead of promoting Marvin. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img] I was so worried that he'd stay in DC. Having him land in Cincy was something I didn't even dare dream of.[/quote]

Well thats not exactly how it went down Spurrier was brought in 1st then Marvin, they decided to let Marvin test the waters before they let Spurrier go, but they are fine now in coaching, Joe Gibbs isnt exactly a slouch.

I went to the game two years ago and the preseaon last year and there were a fair number of us there, one guy brought a sign that said "Fed-Up Field" oh man did he get it from them for that. It was hilarous, one guy told me to go home when I was screaming it was great.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='300677' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:08 PM']Bengals lock up Jones
By GEOFF HOBSON
July 25, 2006

4 p.m.

The Bengals locked up another key offensive player Tuesday when they reached a six-year contract extension with left tackle Levi Jones, according to agent Kenny Zuckerman.

The Bengals, who won’t comment on deals until they are signed, now have Pro Bowl quarterback Carson Palmer in the fold through 2014, Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson through 2011, and Jones, a Pro Bowl alternate, through 2012. Plus, running back Rudi Johnson, the franchise’s single-season rushing leader, is here through 2009 and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, with 150 caches over the past two seasons, through 2008.

Jones becomes the highest-paid offensive lineman in club history with a contract surpassing the $30.6 million deal three-time Pro Bowler Willie Anderson signed before the 2000 season and ends after this one. Zuckerman says the deal makes Jones the league’s fourth-highest paid offensive lineman with guarantees of $16.3 million. Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Levi Jones has agreed to a six year contract extension for just over $40 million. The Bengals 2002 first round pick also has guarantees totaling about $16.3 million. The contract which has been in the works for months, makes Jones the highest paid offensive linemen ever that has not reached the Pro Bowl. Based on the new money this contract vaults Jones to the fourth highest paid offensive tackle in the N.F.L., only behind perennial Pro Bowlers, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones. Jones and his agent, Kenny Zuckerman of Priority Sports have expressed that they wanted to get a deal finalized before the start of training camp on Saturday. The former Arizona State University walk-on was entering the last year of his five year rookie contract and was due to earn $795,000.

The Jones deal doesn’t preclude an extension for Anderson and left guard Eric Steinbach, but one or both now may not get done before the season is over. Anderson’s agent said Tuesday he’s had no talks with the club this offseason.

Extensions for Jones and right guard Bobbie Williams make the Bengals breath a little easier along a front that set a club record when it gave up just 21 sacks while Rudi Johnson set the team’s season rushing record with 1,458 yards.

Jones is a major reason Palmer went to his first Pro Bowl with the Bengals’ first three-digit passer rating, shutting out several of the NFL’s top sackers, including the Colts’ Dwight Freeney, the Ravens’ Terrell Suggs, and the Packers’ Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

Jones, the club’s first-round pick in 2002 who turns 27 next month, had started 59 straight games until sitting out last season’s finale in Kansas City after the club had clinched the AFC North title. Included in that streak is the now legendary start against the 49ers in 2003 that came just six days after Jones had arthroscopic knee surgery.[/quote]

fuck yea :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :049: :049: :sport27: :sport27: :dance: :dance: :dance: :2rave: :2rave: :gobengals: :gobengals: :gobengals: :icon15: :icon15:

Guest IndianaBengal
[quote name='JC' post='300836' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:23 PM']haha i know what you were talking about i was fuckin withya[/quote]
i might be a mildly retawded slow-typing poster here. but I still can't get enuff of Go-Bengals.com. like JB says, Its like crack.

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='300851' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:37 PM']i might be a mildly retawded slow-typing poster here. but I still can't get enuff of Go-Bengals.com. like JB says, Its like crack.[/quote]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/berzz/tyrone_biggums.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='300845' date='Jul 25 2006, 11:32 PM']Well thats not exactly how it went down Spurrier was brought in 1st then Marvin, they decided to let Marvin test the waters before they let Spurrier go, but they are fine now in coaching, Joe Gibbs isnt exactly a slouch.

I went to the game two years ago and the preseaon last year and there were a fair number of us there, one guy brought a sign that said "Fed-Up Field" oh man did he get it from them for that. It was hilarous, one guy told me to go home when I was screaming it was great.[/quote]
Yeah, I know Spurrier was there first, but he was so obvioulsy a flop, I was worried they'd boot him and keep Marvin. Marvin sure had that D clicking in his one year there.

I'm sure Baltimore was worried about that to some extent too. But it turned out even worse for the Raisins. Now instead of having to watch Marvin win SBs in DC, they have to get their asses kicked by him twice a year, *and* watch him win SBs elsewhere. Ain't life great?

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='300855' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:39 PM']Yeah, I know Spurrier was there first, but he was so obvioulsy a flop, I was worried they'd boot him and keep Marvin. Marvin sure had that D clicking in his one year there.

I'm sure Baltimore was worried about that to some extent too. But it turned out even worse for the Raisins. Now instead of having to watch Marvin win SBs in DC, they have to get their asses kicked by him twice a year, *and* watch him win SBs elsewhere. Ain't life great?[/quote]

Yeah but then Snyder would have had to admit he was wrong about "his boy". :D

As far as the Rasins go, seeing them asking us for Marvin back after that loss this year was inspiring.

The article got updated with some Jones and Anderson Comments

[quote]6:15 p.m.

If there was ever a doubt how highly the Bengals value left tackle Levi Jones and his ability to protect Carson Palmer’s blindside, they offered more than $40 million ways Tuesday in a ground-breaking six-year contract extension that keeps him in Cincinnati through 2012.

After helping make Jones the highest-paid offensive lineman in club history, agent Kenny Zuckerman confirmed a deal that includes $16.3 million in guarantees and $21 million in the first three years.

“I’m extremely happy with how they view me,” said Jones, now the NFL’s fourth highest-paid offensive lineman. “That means a lot to me. I’ve played through a lot of pain and I thank God. I’m blessed. It's kind of the light at the end of the tunnel."

The Bengals don't comment on deals until the contracts are signed.

The Jones deal continues to solidify one of the NFL’s most potent offenses. Palmer, their Pro Bowl quarterback, is in the fold through 2014, and Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson through 2011. Running back Rudi Johnson, the franchise’s single-season rushing leader, is here through 2009, wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, with 150 catches over the past two seasons, through 2008, and right guard Bobbie Williams is in place for four more seasons.

Jones, who turns 27 next month, joins Palmer, Williams, and Chad Johnson in earning extensions since the end of a season the Bengals finished sixth in NFL offense with a line that supplied the club’s best individual passing, receiving and rushing seasons of all time while giving up the fewest sacks in team history.

Offensive line coach Paul Alexander has had the almost unheard of luxury of letting Jones work one-on-one against the NFL’s elite speed rushers.

“For the last several years he’s protected our quarterback’s blindside without any help from schemes,” Alexander said. “He’s rare. He’s one of the most athletic tackles in the league and he’s more than a great pass protector. He’s an excellent run blocker. And he’s a finisher and a try-hard guy. It’s a great signing for us.”

Zuckerman, of the Priority Sports firm that also represents Bengals Tory James and Bryan Robinson, knew his client didn’t want to be tagged as a franchise free agent after the season even though it would pay him about $9 million for the 2007 season and about $11 million if he was tagged again in 2008. As it is now, he’ll get $21 million through 2008.

Jones’ average in new money of $6.5 million per year is just below the $7 million tackle trinity of Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, and Walter Jones. But they had to go through the franchise game that Zuckerman and his client didn’t want to play.

“Those are the kind of situations that pit player against team and Levi’s just not that kind of guy,” Zuckerman said. “He wants things to be worked out and settled. Both sides wanted to get it done, and they did. The Bengals invested a lot in him early (a first-round pick in 2002), the team has really come on, and so has he.”

Jones, off his first alternate Pro Bowl selection, is now the highest-paid lineman never to go to a Pro Bowl, eking past the $38 million deal signed by Lions left tackle Jeff Backus two weeks ago.

But after 2005, Jones figures to lose that tag soon. He’s a major reason Palmer went to his first Pro Bowl with the Bengals’ first three-digit passer rating, shutting out several of the NFL’s top sackers, including the Colts’ Dwight Freeney, the Ravens’ Terrell Suggs, and the Packers’ Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

Zuckerman pointed to the trend of the solid teams keeping their left tackles. Last month, ESPN.com reported that of the 31 projected starting left tackles (Houston’s is unknown), the average span remaining on their contracts is about three and a half seasons.

“And lately a lot of the top tackles coming out of college haven’t panned out, so there is a shortage,” Zuckerman said. “If you get a good one, you’ve got to keep him.”

Jones is not only good, he’s tough, reliable, and smart in becoming one of the leading members of the locker room. He had started 59 straight games until sitting out last season’s finale in Kansas City after the club had clinched the AFC North title. Included in that streak is the now legendary start against the 49ers in 2003 that came just six days after Jones had arthroscopic knee surgery.

His extension finally gives a franchise that has been reamed this offseason for character problems reason to celebrate. Look for Jones to share the spotlight Wednesday with Bengals president Mike Brown and head coach Marvin Lewis at the annual training camp media luncheon at Paul Brown Stadium.

“I’m happy that Mr. Brown and Mr. Zuckerman grinded it out and got it done,” Jones said. “Now I hope they make a valiant effort and keep the league’s No. 1 tackle tandem together. I’m looking for my man to stay.”

Jones referred, of course, to right tackle Willie Anderson, until Tuesday the richest Bengals lineman ever with that $30.6 million deal signed before the 2000 season. That ends after this year, but agent Terry Bolar said Tuesday he’s had no offseason discussions with the team after the sides couldn’t agree on an extension last year before training camp.

Anderson, saying his future is up in the air, is delighted Jones is getting his due.

“This is a great day for the Bengals and their fans. It’s a great day to be an offensive lineman,” Anderson said. “I’m happy for the team because it means a lot to sign a guy of this caliber who is such a quality guy.”

It’s doubtful the Bengals would franchise tag Anderson after the season at age 32 or left guard Eric Steinbach because $9 million is considered tackle money.

The first thing Jones asked Zuckerman after he signed off on the deal Tuesday is if the Bengals had room under the salary cap to get Anderson and others.

Probably not for 2006, figuring that Jones’ cap number for this season is between $6-7 million, the rookie pool is about $4 million, and they like to keep about $2 million in reserve for injuries and grievances. But they could do something with ’07 cap room.

“He told me, ‘Don’t leave me hanging,’” Anderson said. “My future is up in the air. I’m not mad. I’m happy for the team and Levi.”

Anderson, who has been successful in business as the head of his venture company Think BIG, laughed when asked about losing his title as the team’s richest lineman.

“Only on the football field,” Anderson joked of his off-field earnings. “But Levi’s coming on there, too.”[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='300856' date='Jul 25 2006, 11:42 PM']Yeah but then Snyder would have had to admit he was wrong about "his boy". :D
As far as the Rasins go, seeing them asking us for Marvin back after that loss this year was inspiring.[/quote]
Hell, when was that? I wish I could've seen that shit. Just one more thing I've missed since hitting the other side of the pond.

As happy as I am about camp starting up, come the first sunday of the season, hell more likely the first game of the preseason, I'll be pissed as hell all over again. It's great to be able to listen to the game online, but damn I miss my Sunday Ticket package [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img]

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='300867' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:51 PM']Hell, when was that? I wish I could've seen that shit. Just one more thing I've missed since hitting the other side of the pond.

As happy as I am about camp starting up, come the first sunday of the season, hell more likely the first game of the preseason, I'll be pissed as hell all over again. It's great to be able to listen to the game online, but damn I miss my Sunday Ticket package [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/20.gif[/img][/quote]

Last year me my bro, dan, and Go were all there and some older dude asked us if he could trade us 3 Billicks for a Lewis...then some other chick said I hate your team but I love your coach....it was glorious.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='300870' date='Jul 25 2006, 11:54 PM']Last year me my bro, dan, and Go were all there and some older dude asked us if he could trade us 3 Billicks for a Lewis...then some other chick said I hate your team but I love your coach....it was glorious.[/quote]
Wish I could've been there for that. Priceless.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='300864' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:49 PM']someone forward these articels to whoatever jackasses laughed at this pick in 2002.[/quote]

That would be Mel Kiper, though hell tell you he liked the pick, just not as high as we took him.

From the updated article on Bengals.com
[quote]It’s doubtful the Bengals would franchise tag Anderson after the season at age 32 or left guard Eric Steinbach because $9 million is considered tackle money.

The first thing Jones asked Zuckerman after he signed off on the deal Tuesday is if the Bengals had room under the salary cap to get Anderson and others.

Probably not for 2006, figuring that Jones’ cap number for this season is between $6-7 million, the rookie pool is about $4 million, and they like to keep about $2 million in reserve for injuries and grievances. But they could do something with ’07 cap room.[/quote]

I don't expect anything for either one this preseason...
Not enough money to do the deals this year...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='300874' date='Jul 25 2006, 03:57 PM']That would be Mel Kiper, though hell tell you he liked the pick, just not as high as we took him.[/quote]

Isn't it interesting to note that the other 2 tackles taken in the first round, Mike Williams was selecte #4 by the Bills, was released this offseason and he signed a vet minimum contract with the Jaguars. Bryant McKinney is still with the Vikings, but he's been in and out of the coach's doghouse for 2 seasons.

Archived