----- LEVI JONES SIGNED !!!!! -----

Guest fredtoast

[quote name='lslmustang' post='300879' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:01 PM']From the updated article on Bengals.com
I don't expect anything for either one this preseason...
Not enough money to do the deals this year...[/quote]

I don't know, does say[quote]Anderson [b]and[/b] others[/quote]

[quote name='jrandom42' post='300880' date='Jul 25 2006, 07:01 PM']Isn't it interesting to note that the other 2 tackles taken in the first round, Mike Williams was selecte #4 by the Bills, was released this offseason and he signed a vet minimum contract with the Jaguars. Bryant McKinney is still with the Vikings, but he's been in and out of the coach's doghouse for 2 seasons.[/quote]

[img]http://bengals.enquirer.com/2002/04/28/ljcactus600_zoom.jpg[/img]

[b][size=6]Levi J[color="#FF0000"]owned[/color][/size][/b]

FROM ESPN - mentions how we were ridiculed for the pick:
[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2529573"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2529573[/url]
[quote]Bengals, Levi Jones agree on $40 million extensionBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

[b]When the Cincinnati Bengals used the 10th overall choice in the 2002 lottery to select left offensive tackle Levi Jones, the pick was roundly criticized by draft pundits.[/b]

But it was Jones who got the last laugh Tuesday afternoon, reaching agreement with the Bengals on a six-year contract extension that moves the four-year veteran into a salary class which reflects his emergence as one of the league's emerging standouts at his position.

The deal is worth slightly in excess of $40 million and includes $16.3 million in guarantees. In terms of so-called "new money," it makes Jones the fourth highest-paid offensive lineman in the NFL and the highest-paid blocker who has never been to a Pro Bowl game.

That latter distinction belonged, albeit briefly, to Detroit Lions left tackle Jeff Backus, who less than two weeks ago signed a six-year, $38 million contract with $15.5 million in guarantees. Certainly the Backus deal helped to better define the market for Jones' extension.

Negotiations between the Bengals and agent Kenny Zuckerman had been ongoing for a good portion of the offseason, but were markedly accelerated in recent days. Jones was entering the final season of his original five-year contract in Cincinnati, and would have been eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring if the two sides had not struck the accord.

The deal is in keeping with the leaguewide trend of securing long-term contracts with left offensive tackles, a spot that has evolved nearly into "skill position" status the last several years. The contracts for Backus and Jones leave just Bryant McKinnie of Minnesota and Buffalo's Mike Gandy as the only starting left tackles in the NFL currently eligible for free agency next spring.

On average, the 32 starting left tackles in the NFL now have 3.8 seasons remaining on their contracts.

Jones, 26, became a starter in his rookie season after a standout career at Arizona State, and has started in 61 of his 63 regular-season appearances. He had a streak of 59 straight starts snapped in the season finale last year. Regarded as one of the NFL's premier pass protectors, his play has helped Carson Palmer grow into an elite quarterback, and Jones has also progressed as a run blocker.

[b]Securing a deal with Jones was key for the Bengals, since three of their other starting linemen are in the final season of their respective contracts. That group includes Pro Bowl right tackle Willie Anderson, standout left guard Eric Steinbach and center Rich Braham. [/b] The Bengals earlier this spring signed right guard Bobbie Williams to a three-year extension.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.[/quote]

I thought it interesting they included Richie Braham as so many draft pundits had us taking a center!!! lol

I think now they'll focus on the draft picks and then they'll focus on Steinbach during the season much like they did Carson last year. I also think they'll let Willie play out his contract and then replace him with Andrews.

btw, is anybody else having trouble getting onto huddles?

does anyone have a pic of levi and the rest of the crew when they were waiting in the tunnell at pissburgh when we stomped those fools. cause levi looked like on bad mother f#$@%$ ? and also, i have no idea how the system works as far as the business aspects of it. how are we gonna have money to sign all the rookies. we just resignd cp, cj, levi, bobbie. how does this shit work ? please help me out understand this! where do we get the all the fucking money from ?

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='300903' date='Jul 25 2006, 07:34 PM']does anyone have a pic of levi and the rest of the crew when they were waiting in the tunnell at pissburgh when we stomped those fools. cause levi looked like on bad mother f#$@%$ ? and also, i have no idea how the system works as far as the business aspects of it. how are we gonna have money to sign all the rookies. we just resignd cp, cj, levi, bobbie. how does this shit work ? please help me out understand this! where do we get the fucking all the fucking money from ?[/quote]

very little counts against the cap for this year, probably around the averate ob 5-6 million, we had plenty availible, we can still sign all of our picks to nice deals and eric as well with 2-3 mil leftover.. losing willie and braham this offseason alone will open up an extra7-8 million for next year plus the cap goes up quite a bit, so we are sitting pretty the next two+ years as long as we dont lose a high paid star and have to replace him with another...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='300912' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:41 PM']very little counts against the cap for this year, probably around the averate ob 5-6 million, we had plenty availible, we can still sign all of our picks to nice deals and eric as well with 2-3 mil leftover.. losing willie and braham this offseason alone will open up an extra7-8 million for next year plus the cap goes up quite a bit, so we are sitting pretty the next two+ years as long as we dont lose a high paid star and have to replace him with another...[/quote]

Does that mean we'll be able to sign some of the other lineman for longer contracts this year for later years? ie Wilkerson, Kooistra, Andrews?

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='300915' date='Jul 25 2006, 05:45 PM']why would we sign wilkerson, kooistra, and andrews to longer deals when none have them have even contributed to the team yet and still have a couple years on their deals...[/quote]

I just keep hearing that we have depth...I think Wilkerson is going to kick ass. I'm not saying we should sign them now and I'm not saying sign all of them. I just curious...for example if we do want to keep Ben as the season progresses.

I believe they are all up after this season BTW

[quote name='GoBengals' post='300864' date='Jul 25 2006, 06:49 PM']someone forward these articels to whoatever jackasses laughed at this pick in 2002.[/quote]

Here's one from Peter King:

2. I think I can't believe Cincinnati didn't get value for its pick at No. 10. Sad. If the Bengals knew how to work the league, they'd have been able to trade down a few slots, pick up an extra choice somewhere and still get tackle Levi Jones. Good player. Everyone agrees about that. But the key is to get maximum value out of your pick -- and Cincinnati got minimal value. It figures with that franchise.

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2002/04/20/five_things_three/"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...e_things_three/[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[size=5]HELL YEAAAHHHH !!!!111!!![/size]

[img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2104/buttheadmd4.gif[/img][img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3747/beavisps5.gif[/img]

Guest Coy Bacon
[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='300917' date='Jul 25 2006, 07:48 PM']Here's one from Peter King:

2. I think I can't believe Cincinnati didn't get value for its pick at No. 10. Sad. If the Bengals knew how to work the league, they'd have been able to trade down a few slots, pick up an extra choice somewhere and still get tackle Levi Jones. Good player. Everyone agrees about that. But the key is to get maximum value out of your pick -- and Cincinnati got minimal value. It figures with that franchise.

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2002/04/20/five_things_three/"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...e_things_three/[/url][/quote]

Peter, Peter, Peter.....it's what's up front that counts.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='bengaldee' post='300938' date='Jul 25 2006, 08:20 PM']Isn't Madieu up after this year?[/quote]

after next year i believe. he has 2 on his contract still i think.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='300917' date='Jul 26 2006, 12:48 AM']Here's one from Peter King:

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2002/04/20/five_things_three/"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga...e_things_three/[/url][/quote]
Peter King = asshat

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='bengaldee' post='300942' date='Jul 25 2006, 08:23 PM']They need to work on him this year.[/quote]

he hasnt proven enough. He had a good rookie year and a missed year two. This is his year to get himself a nice extention. If he puts together a good year this year then i would say we need to work on him then. If he doesnt do anything special this year then ignore it till he is an FA.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='300966' date='Jul 25 2006, 04:47 PM']he hasnt proven enough. He had a good rookie year and a missed year two. This is his year to get himself a nice extention. If he puts together a good year this year then i would say we need to work on him then. If he doesnt do anything special this year then ignore it till he is an FA.[/quote]
This is a perfect time, before he wants Ed Reed money

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='300966' date='Jul 25 2006, 08:47 PM']he hasnt proven enough. He had a good rookie year and a missed year two. This is his year to get himself a nice extention. If he puts together a good year this year then i would say we need to work on him then. If he doesnt do anything special this year then ignore it till he is an FA.[/quote]

yea it makes pretty good business sense to wait until the player hits a pro bowl so your forced to pay him top dollar instead of extending a player with potential who cant demand top dollar and if he flops, your not taking a huge cap hit... :huh:

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='300966' date='Jul 25 2006, 08:47 PM']he hasnt proven enough. He had a good rookie year and a missed year two. This is his year to get himself a nice extention. If he puts together a good year this year then i would say we need to work on him then. If he doesnt do anything special this year then ignore it till he is an FA.[/quote]

[quote name='bengaldee' post='300968' date='Jul 25 2006, 08:49 PM']This is a perfect time, before he wants Ed Reed money[/quote]

Who in the fuck are you talking about? i thought this was a thread about levi getting his big money deal from the Bengals, which is a great move, by the way. I wonder how they have the deal set up. Is it cap-friendly, like when Carson got his $118 million deal? Everybody and their momma knows that Carson had his deal set up so that they could sign his protection to long term deals.

Archived