Not Football News but still big reds news, im

Rudi05

I caught a bit of 700 WLW's Bengal Talk show with the Fuckball Furman and he about said as much from what I heard.
He claimed that the Red's offseason moves were due in no small part to the Bengal's success under Marvin (well, success SELLING OUT the stadium, anyway...), that the Reds were feeling pressure for the "pro sports dollar" of the local Cincy fan due to the Bengals...
While I could possibly see that scenario, I think that baseball fan pressure finally caused Uncle Carl to direct his management team to FINALLY spend a few $$$ to acquire reasonably good pitching.
Gee, field a team that will stay competitive throughout the LONG baseball season and fans will like it? What a concept!!!!
Fuckers...it's about time...

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Dec 28 2004, 12:10 AM']I caught a bit of 700 WLW's Bengal Talk show with the Fuckball Furman and he about said as much from what I heard.
He claimed that the Red's offseason moves were due in no small part to the Bengal's success under Marvin (well, success SELLING OUT the stadium, anyway...), that the Reds were feeling pressure for the "pro sports dollar" of the local Cincy fan due to the Bengals...
While I could possibly see that scenario, I think that baseball fan pressure finally caused Uncle Carl to direct his management team to FINALLY spend a few $$$ to acquire reasonably good pitching.
Gee, field a team that will stay competitive throughout the LONG baseball season and fans will like it?  What a concept!!!!
Fuckers...it's about time...
[right][post="30652"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

hell, i dont care if thats what causes lindner to start signing people justas long as he signs them.

[quote name='Patmo' date='Dec 28 2004, 12:18 AM']They'll try to pick up another starter by trading Kearns.
[right][post="30659"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Is that just you or are they actually thinking about it? I want to keep kearns. Griffey is pretty much a lock to get hurt not long after the season starts and then we will have kearns back him up.

I agree with you Eskimo Igloo Man.

The Reds have ALMOST been as sorry as the Bengals over the last decade.
The Reds lately have the knack for starting out strong and fading hard after the All-Star break. Injuries, sorry pitching, etc, etc...

It's about time these rich motherfuckers like Lindner and Brown realized that continually putting out an inferior product while milking the bottom line from fans would ultimately result in dissatisfaction, no matter how deep fan loyalty runs.

I'm glad that both the Bengals AND the Reds are taking appropriate action to remedy this situation, and that the STUPID ownership of both franchises will FINALLY realize that a viable, competitive pro sports franchise will only reap larger financial rewards over the long run due to ticket sales etc if they would just make the financial "leap of faith" and spend a little up front to do that...and it looks like they're finally doing it...props to both franchises for making honest attempts to improve...

[quote name='Patmo' date='Dec 28 2004, 01:18 AM']They'll try to pick up another starter by trading Kearns.
[right][post="30659"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I hope not. If he could put together a full, healthy season, he is the best all around player they have. Including a healthy Jr, IMNTBHO.

[quote name='eskimo' date='Dec 28 2004, 01:20 AM']Is that just you or are they actually thinking about it?  I want to keep kearns.  Griffey is pretty much a lock to get hurt not long after the season starts and then we will have kearns back him up.
[right][post="30660"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Just a personal opinion.Kearns has been hurt every year of his career.

[quote name='Jason' date='Dec 28 2004, 09:12 AM']I hope not.  If he could put together a full, healthy season, he is the best all around player they have.  Including a healthy Jr, IMNTBHO.
[right][post="30698"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes,Jason I agree with you.He's a real good young talent who isn't overly expensive with a ton of upside.

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Patmo' date='Dec 28 2004, 10:27 AM']Just a personal opinion.Kearns has been hurt every year of his career.
[right][post="30709"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

He's had problems with his thumb.

Hopefully after surguries it is fixed.

Also to be considered is the fact that O'Brien does not seem to be too enamored of Kearns. He made a comment last year about Kearns ability to play consistently at this level.

An argument can be made that a Kearns trade for more pitching would be a good move. We’d have Dunn, Griffey, and Wily Mo starting in the outfield with Freel as #4. Not bad on paper but Griffey never gets hurt on paper…just on the field. You’d also be counting on Wily Mo continuing to develop and not falling into a quasi-sophomore slump. I’m pretty comfortable with Freel stepping in if Kenny gets hurt or Wily Mo struggles but if both of those things happen, we’d be screwed.

You can never have enough starting pitching and although I really like Kearns, I wouldn’t mind a trade if it brings us a blue-chipper. It would just make that margin of error smaller yet.

I like the rotation right now. Wilson, Ortiz, Milton, Claussen, and there was another guy last year, late that pitched real good. Don't remember his name though.

I think Kearns could be traded for an closer or set-up man or a couple of middle relief guys, but not for starting pitching.

BTW, Milton was one of the good pitchers for the Twins a couple of years ago. Milton, Radke and another guy, helped keep that team from getting axed, when MLB wanted to contract both the Twins and the Expos.

[quote name='hiyall69' date='Dec 28 2004, 10:33 AM']I like the rotation right now.  Wilson, Ortiz, Milton, Claussen, and there was another guy last year, late that pitched real good.  Don't remember his name though. 

I think Kearns could be traded for an closer or set-up man or a couple of middle relief guys, but not for starting pitching. 

BTW, Milton was one of the good pitchers for the Twins a couple of years ago.  Milton, Radke and another guy, helped keep that team from getting axed, when MLB wanted to contract both the Twins and the Expos.
[right][post="30732"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It was Hancock you were thinking of...he came on quite well last year...
You're right about Kearns...his trade value because of injuries and lack of playing time as a result of that would NEVER bring us a starter of any quality in a trade.
I'd like to keep him, and I hope he succeeds at 3rd base. He IS an excellent hitter-he just needs to stay healthy and on the field (ditto Junior).
If we don't have big injury problems this could be our year to make a pennant run if the pitching is as upgraded on the field as it is on paper. We got guys that can crush the ball at the plate...

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Dec 28 2004, 01:16 PM']It was Hancock you were thinking of...he came on quite well last year...
You're right about Kearns...his trade value because of injuries and lack of playing time as a result of that would NEVER bring us a starter of any quality in a trade.
I'd like to keep him, and I hope he succeeds at 3rd base.  He IS an excellent hitter-he just needs to stay healthy and on the field (ditto Junior).
If we don't have big injury problems this could be our year to make a pennant run if the pitching is as upgraded on the field as it is on paper.  We got guys that can crush the ball at the plate...
[right][post="30826"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It might have been hudson too. He looked good at the end of the season last year.

[quote name='hiyall69' date='Dec 28 2004, 11:33 AM']I like the rotation right now.  Wilson, Ortiz, Milton, Claussen, and there was another guy last year, late that pitched real good.  Don't remember his name though. 

BTW, Milton was one of the good pitchers for the Twins a couple of years ago.  Milton, Radke and another guy, helped keep that team from getting axed, when MLB wanted to contract both the Twins and the Expos.
[right][post="30732"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It will be Milton,Ortiz,Wilson,Harang, and Hudson. Claussen sucked last year. He will be in triple A or coming out of the bull pen.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Dec 28 2004, 01:16 PM']It was Hancock you were thinking of...he came on quite well last year...
I'd like to keep him, and I hope he succeeds at 3rd base.  He IS an excellent hitter-he just needs to stay healthy and on the field (ditto Junior).
If we don't have big injury problems this could be our year to make a pennant run if the pitching is as upgraded on the field as it is on paper.  We got guys that can crush the ball at the plate...
[right][post="30826"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The Kearns experiment at 3rd failed miserably. That's why they signed Randa. We're going to have a quality player sitting on the bench until Griffey gets hurt.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Dec 28 2004, 02:58 PM']Sean...where did you hear that about Kearns at 3rd failing...I haven't heard anything about it...?
[right][post="30849"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I heard on 1360 that he wasn't doing so hot at 3rd. Then they signed Randa which confirms it in my mind. They were only going to play Kearns at 3rd as a stopgap until Encarnacion is ready. He is said to be a year away.

Archived