The Official Browns finish in last place (again) thread

The hatred towards the stealers has blinded us to our other division rivals. Reading what the dumbasses on the Browns message board had to say makes me feel like talking shit. They think Carson is a pussy, they are going to sweep us, Charlie Frye is a GOD, their geriatric additions will make them win the division, Braylon Edwards > Jerry Rice, etc etc etc.

[b][size=3]Browns don't inspire confidence[/size][/b]
[b]Low-energy scrimmage play recalls last year's shortcomings[/b]

By Patrick McManamon

BEREA - One hates to put too much emotional energy into a scrimmage -- especially one without tackling -- but the Browns did not provide much reason for optimism in their intrasquad work at the stadium Friday night.

In fact, the Browns on offense looked like much the same team that struggled through a 6-10 season a year ago.

Take it piece by piece:

• The offensive line.

This is the group that was going to be so much more improved, but holes for the running game were not there.

Granted, the first team was only on the field for 17 plays and the more a team runs, the better it gets. But with LeCharles Bentley sidelined, the concern is that running inside might be tougher.

The evidence Friday was that running inside will be difficult.

The second-team defense clogged holes, and the first-team offensive line didn't open holes. There was no tackling and Reuben Droughns was whistled down at first contact so it's conceivable to think Droughns could have broken a few tackles.

But judging whether the holes are there isn't difficult, and they weren't.

• The passing game.

Showed the same inconsistency as a year ago. A good play followed by a bad play. A bad decision followed by a good decision.

Charlie Frye completed a couple of passes but should have had his first pass intercepted and threw a ridiculous end zone interception on his last.

Dennis Northcutt caught a couple of passes, but dropped another.

Granted, Braylon Edwards and Joe Jurevicius did not take part, and they are the team's starting receivers.

But there might be times during the year when they will not play. Guys have to play.

They didn't Friday.

• The overall energy.

For some reason it was low. Maybe players are tired from camp. But camp has been taking place in 31 other cities in heat too, so come the regular season nobody is going to give the Browns a break because their camp was hot.

Players talked about having time to straighten things out and not worrying, but that's the same old routine that's been heard since 1999. At some point, people have to perform.

This also brings to mind what pissburgh stealers Hall of Fame tackle Joe Greene once said about players who shrug off preseason losses: ``They're the same guys who lose in the regular season.''

The early camp hype, before Bentley's injury, was that the Browns might contend for a .500 record and a playoff spot.

The reality after watching practice and a scrimmage indicates improvement will be difficult, and the record might not be much better than last season's, if at all -- especially when the overall quality of the AFC North is factored in.

It almost looks as if 2005 was a get-back-on-our feet season and 2006 will be a build-a-foundation-for-2007 season.

As in... Get Frye more experience. Work Edwards and Kellen Winslow back. Continue to build an offensive line. Get Willie McGinest and Ted Washington to hang in for a season. Develop Kamerion Wimbley. Supplement in the offseason with more free agents and another draft. Then compete for real next year.

Wins would be great this season, but the real timetable to expect winning might start a year from now.

That, once again, asks a lot of the team's fans.

[url="http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/15207856.htm"]http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/15207856.htm[/url]

you know . i actually forgot that the browns even existed! those fucking clowns when they came to cincy to play us i saw that fat fuck that wears the dog mask, i fucking gave it to him. he was all barking and shit like a fucking puppy. i kept yelling at him in the parking that dogs are house pets. they were looking stupid after we beat that ass!

All the Brown's fans think they have improved dramatically with their wannabe Redskins offseason. Their entire offense is made up of scrubs and rookies, yet they will [i]still[/i] be dominant.

Frye started five games last year, and put up very average numbers, with a passer rating of 72.8. Frye had 7 fumbles and 5 interceptions in very little action. He is still very young and inexperienced, but most if not all Browns fans expect him to take the "Palmer leap" in his only second season of action. His backups are Ken Dorsey and Derek Anderson, who have a combined 10 games starting.

Droughns was a beast last year..... besides the fact that he was wildly inconsistent and had only 2 touchdowns. Part of this could be blamed on the weak ass offensive line, which was improved this offseason by the over paying for Bentley, but he is of course injured. Starting at center will be career nobody Bob Hallen (who?) Schaffer comes from a zone blocking scheme protecting Vick's strong side, to a standard blocking scheme protecting Frye's blind side. Schaffer is nothing great but is solid.

And on the 8th day, God made Braylon Edwards, but the devil broke his knee. All Browns fans think he will not only be back 100%, but will be the best receiver known to man. All logical people know that receivers take a few years to blossom, especially after they end the previous season early with a bad knee injury. Joe Jurivicous is already injured, like always, and is a career 3rd stringer who will likely be the Browns #1 come opening day. Winslow is back and is about the only true offensive weapon they have, if he can stay healthy. Everyone else they have at receiver are scrubs or rookies and not even worth mentioning.

The only semi bright spot on the Browns is their defense. They are young and have some talent, but are very weak on the d-line and at corner. Ted Washington, all 38 years and 370 pounds of him, seems to be the answer to their d-line woes. Most Browns fans, however, fail to see that he is about 5 minutes from retirement, and 10 pounds from being bed ridden. Willie McGinest, another player that has been in the league before helmets were standard, was also signed to "improve" their defense. He most definitely has lost a few steps, and will not finish out that big contract he just signed with them. Baxter is very overrated, and overpaid for last year. He is coming off a season ending injury, something that is not good for a corner that is already slow. Their other corners are average at best, even if they were ranked high in pass defense. Rookie linebackers Jackson and Whimbley have a steep learning curve coming from college to a NFL 3-4 defense, especially Whimbley since he has never played linebacker.

Crennel gets a lot of credit for virtually no success in Cleveland. Everyone worships him as a genius every time he over pays for an over the hill free agent or scrub. Fact is, Marvin Lewis had a better record in his first year as a head coach, taking over a far worse team.

The Bengals are going to own you for the next 10 years. And don't even bring up the past, we are talking about now, not the AFC championships you have from early 1900s.

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='310346' date='Aug 6 2006, 12:25 PM']you know . i actually forgot that the browns even existed! those fucking clowns when they came to cincy to play us i saw that fat fuck that wears the dog mask, i fucking gave it to him. he was all barking and shit like a fucking puppy. i kept yelling at him in the parking that dogs are house pets. they were looking stupid after we beat that ass![/quote]

Who could take a pathetic goofball like this seriously (here in only his stupid-as-fuck face mask):
[img]http://charliesfryes.com/db3/00211/charliesfryes.com/_uimages/normal_IMG_0683.jpg[/img]

But he does get a lot of ink. Christ, even the fucking government honors him:

[i]IN HONOR OF JOHN BIG DAWG THOMPSON -- HON. DENNIS J. KUCINICH (Extensions of Remarks - October 05, 1999)
---
HON. DENNIS J. KUCINICH
OF OHIO
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 5, 1999

Mr. KUCINICH. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to honor John Big Dawg Thompson.

John Big Dawg Thompson, legendary Cleveland Browns superfan, is the heart and soul of the Cleveland Browns and the Cleveland Browns' Dawg Pound. Nationally recognized, Big Dawg's passion for the Cleveland Browns has touched the spirit of football fans everywhere. Members of Congress have even felt Big Dawg's devotion when he testified before a House committee as the Browns fan who could best convey the trauma to fans from the teams' sudden move to Baltimore.

Driven by heartfelt emotion and determination, Big Dawg served further as a crucial player in saving the team's name and colors and in bringing the Browns back to Cleveland. Big Dawg's big heart was never silenced throughout the years Cleveland was deprived of a team. Due in large part to his efforts, the Cleveland Browns are now back.

Celebrated as one of football's most famous fans, Big Dawg was inducted this year into the Visa Hall of Fans at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Big Dawg's role evolved back in 1985 when he donned a dog mask after Browns players Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield coined the term Dawg Pound to refer to the barking bleacher fans at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Soon thereafter, the media discovered Big Dawg influencing Browns backers everywhere to wear, not only orange and brown, but dog masks and dog collars. With a new meaning to Cleveland's home field advantage, the Dawg Pound became an explosive force in leading the Browns to victory.

Not just a football fan, Big Dawg also serves as a community leader and a devoted family man. As a kid-friendly fellow, Big Dawg has made numerous appearances at local schools and local events. He is also featured on the box of his new Big Dawg Crunch cereal. Big Dawg has even earmarked royalties from cereal sales to go toward the American Diabetes Association and the Lomas Brown Jr. Foundation. Congratulations to Big Dawg for his charitable services, his devotion to his family, and for being the Cleveland Browns' number one fan. Keep the tradition alive!

My fellow colleagues, join me in honoring John Big Dawg Thompson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/i]
Shit...where do I sign?

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='310462' date='Aug 6 2006, 06:17 PM']All the Brown's fans think they have improved dramatically with their wannabe Redskins offseason. Their entire offense is made up of scrubs and rookies, yet they will [i]still[/i] be dominant.

Frye started five games last year, and put up very average numbers, with a passer rating of 72.8. Frye had 7 fumbles and 5 interceptions in very little action. He is still very young and inexperienced, but most if not all Browns fans expect him to take the "Palmer leap" in his only second season of action. His backups are Ken Dorsey and Derek Anderson, who have a combined 10 games starting.

Droughns was a beast last year..... besides the fact that he was wildly inconsistent and had only 2 touchdowns. Part of this could be blamed on the weak ass offensive line, which was improved this offseason by the over paying for Bentley, but he is of course injured. Starting at center will be career nobody Bob Hallen (who?) Schaffer comes from a zone blocking scheme protecting Vick's strong side, to a standard blocking scheme protecting Frye's blind side. Schaffer is nothing great but is solid.

And on the 8th day, God made Braylon Edwards, but the devil broke his knee. All Browns fans think he will not only be back 100%, but will be the best receiver known to man. All logical people know that receivers take a few years to blossom, especially after they end the previous season early with a bad knee injury. Joe Jurivicous is already injured, like always, and is a career 3rd stringer who will likely be the Browns #1 come opening day. Winslow is back and is about the only true offensive weapon they have, if he can stay healthy. Everyone else they have at receiver are scrubs or rookies and not even worth mentioning.

The only semi bright spot on the Browns is their defense. They are young and have some talent, but are very weak on the d-line and at corner. Ted Washington, all 38 years and 370 pounds of him, seems to be the answer to their d-line woes. Most Browns fans, however, fail to see that he is about 5 minutes from retirement, and 10 pounds from being bed ridden. Willie McGinest, another player that has been in the league before helmets were standard, was also signed to "improve" their defense. He most definitely has lost a few steps, and will not finish out that big contract he just signed with them. Baxter is very overrated, and overpaid for last year. He is coming off a season ending injury, something that is not good for a corner that is already slow. Their other corners are average at best, even if they were ranked high in pass defense. Rookie linebackers Jackson and Whimbley have a steep learning curve coming from college to a NFL 3-4 defense, especially Whimbley since he has never played linebacker.

Crennel gets a lot of credit for virtually no success in Cleveland. Everyone worships him as a genius every time he over pays for an over the hill free agent or scrub. Fact is, Marvin Lewis had a better record in his first year as a head coach, taking over a far worse team.

The Bengals are going to own you for the next 10 years. And don't even bring up the past, we are talking about now, not the AFC championships you have from early 1900s.[/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Archived