'Big Daddy' Wilkinson signs with Dolphins

SCARFACE_BENGAL

[b]'Big Daddy' Wilkinson signs with Dolphins[/b]

DAVIE, Fla. (Aug 14, 2006) -- Twelve NFL seasons taught defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson that there was no reason to hurry into a contract agreement with the Miami Dolphins.

Wilkinson missed more than two weeks of training camp before he said yes to a three-year deal and joined Miami's sweltering workouts.

"I was in no big rush," the 340-pound Wilkinson said. "I'm refreshed, I'm back and I'm excited."

Dolphins coach Nick Saban began the courtship two months ago, shortly after Wilkinson was released by the Detroit Lions. On Miami's aging line, the acquisition of Wilkinson represents a youth movement -- at 33, he's expected to challenge 36-year-old Keith Traylor for a starting job.

"We're going to give him a little time to evaluate his conditioning and not just throw him to the wolves," Saban said. "He adds depth to our team and is certainly a guy who can be a potential starter for us down the road when he figures out what to do."

The No. 1 overall pick in the 1994 draft, Wilkinson began his NFL career with Cincinnati. He spent four seasons with the Bengals and five with the Washington Redskins before joining Detroit, where he started all 48 games in three seasons.

He said he asked the Lions to release him after Rod Marinelli took over as head coach in January.

"Moving from different teams, it kind of refreshes you again," Wilkinson said. "You get stuck in the same system for a while, you kind of get complacent and kind of get in the same old rut. This definitely feels refreshing. This feels like I'm 22 again." Wilkinson didn't participate in team drills immediately but ran on the side and said he expects to be up to speed with his new team in two or three days.

"I've been playing so long, it doesn't take much," he said.

Saban agreed, saying Wilkinson should be able to catch up in time for the regular-season opener Sept. 7 at pissburgh.

"I think he can learn quickly," Saban said. "He's a veteran player. Hopefully we'll get him to where we need him to be by maybe when the season starts."

Still, Saban said the Dolphins would have preferred to sign Wilkinson sooner.

"We don't totally control all that," Saban said. "It's got to work for both people. I can say, 'Why did you get married when you were 26 instead of when you were 21? You've been dating the girl for eight years.'

"Well, maybe she didn't want to get married. It took you five more years to get it done. Same thing with this -- it's got to be a deal that works for both people."

Saban said Wilkinson played well last year, showing good quickness for his size, and his durability a plus -- he has missed only seven games in his career. Miami lost a defensive tackle last week when second-year pro Manny Wright left the team after asking to be released or traded.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIA/9600765"]http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIA/9600765[/url]

Archived