'He made it what it is'

bengaldee

SI.com
McGinest has mixed feelings about Seau wearing 55

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/20.gif[/img] Willie McGinest isn't entirely happy that Junior Seau will wear his old No. 55 jersey with the New England Patriots.

Seau signed with Patriots last week, just days after announcing his retirement from a 16-year career with the Chargers and Dolphins. He has worn 55 since his college days at Southern Cal. McGinest helped the Patriots win three Super Bowls but signed with the Cleveland Browns this year as a free agent.

Before Seau took the number, he and Patriots coach Bill Belichick called to ask McGinest's permission. McGinest said he felt awkward but agreed. He said the Patriots' front office should have stepped in and handled what he felt was an uncomfortable situation.

"What if I had went to San Diego? I don't even think that would have been an option for me to ask for 55," McGinest said. "I think they would have said, 'You know what, you're a great player but we've got to put this number to the side because of Junior.' And out of respect I wouldn't have asked for the number. I probably would have gone back to my high school number (95)."

But McGinest acknowledged he wore No. 55 in college because Seau wore it before him.

"He's the reason why I was wearing the number. He made it what it is today and he passed it down to me. He had his legacy with it where he was, and I created mine where I was," McGinest said.

Archived