Madden Reviews

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='rizzy' post='322725' date='Aug 23 2006, 05:52 PM']does anyone else here that has hd tv's find that the graphics are lacking compared to other games out for the 360?[/quote]

that was expected they spent a shitload of time workin on the gameplay cuz it was so bad in 06.

Guest ThurmanMunster
so with an update vs ValleyBengal...he gave me a tough game last night...i won 37-31 in OT (thank god i won the toss).

Then tonight, he couldnt get a damn thing to go right. He had a fumble and a lucky ass INT for me. Chad dropped a few wide open and i got a 63-0 lead in the 3rd quarter when my connection fucked up and the game was ended.

I wanna play again tomorrow valley because our first game was awesome and i highly doubt that game 2 is ever gonna happen again.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='323589' date='Aug 25 2006, 01:15 AM']so with an update vs ValleyBengal...he gave me a tough game last night...i won 37-31 in OT (thank god i won the toss).

Then tonight, he couldnt get a damn thing to go right. He had a fumble and a lucky ass INT for me. Chad dropped a few wide open and i got a 63-0 lead in the 3rd quarter when my connection fucked up and the game was ended.
I wanna play again tomorrow valley because our first game was awesome and i highly doubt that game 2 is ever gonna happen again.[/quote]
i hate when those games come around. Where you fumble left and right, throw pics and shit. Its like the game wants to get back at you sometimes.

Guest Tigris
im beating the panthers 36-3 with 1:40 left in the 4th. all madden, too.

im getting better. uh oh, watch out.

and chad has dropped an insanely amount of balls this season

Guest Tigris
can u only train your players so many times during the seaosn/ it wont let me train jj anymore

yea, must me... wont let me train c henry anymore either. those fuckers.

Anyone done Superstar mode with Reciever yet?

I'm doing it currently...my guy is a monster and im on the Pats...but i have the hardest time sometimes catching the ball...It will hit me in the back ...i'll jump and shit but i miss the ball alot...anyone having that problem...i think im going to start one with a DE and hopefully get to the bengals.

Guest Tigris
w/ receiving. you got to press the catch button about a half second before the ball gets there. the computer has to have time to do its animation (turn around, jump, etc.) and then itll catch the ball for you. same thing w/ CBs, you have to press the knock down pass or intercept button kind of early.

remember, your receiver can jump, you dont always have to be on that yellow circle... i try to stay in front of it actually and jump up to catch it most the time

Playin the regular X-Box version.

Graphics, yeh not a whole lot of improvement. The gameplay, however, is hugely improved. The dynamics of the game are much better as a whole than '06. Generally, the last few releases have added little bells and whistles without it seeming like an overall upgrade. Hit sticks, QB vision, that's all great but when was the last time you had a punt return? Well, the AI actually blocks on special teams now - no more calling punt blocks every time and crossing your fingers. I was geeked to field a punt with Chatman, then cut it back and get a decent 20+ yard return. The truck stick is now a "highlight stick", allowing a wider variety of moves including a little sideways cut thing that'll get you through gaps in the line quickly - no more sticking to the big mass of linemen, another huge improvement. Also if you're not using a power back you'll do a dodge or spin instead of just slamming into the defender. So, for example, where Rudi would just lower his shoulder most times, Perry will duck or spin. The game chooses for you automatically, and seems to take into account whether its a LB or DB you're trying to get past. Other improvements - CB's are toned down some, no more cheesy dime packages on third & short and DB's running better routes than WR's.. The pump-fake and play-action animations are a lot quicker, too, particularly with a QB like Palmer. They've also added roles, which are tags that (in most cases) improve a player. For example, a player can have a "playmaker" role that improves them on 3rd downs. There are a few negative ones, too, like "underachiever" and "injury prone". Some roles influence other players on the field, so for example a "run stuffer" can improve the tackling of the front 7 on defense. The amount of influence changes depending on on-field performance, at least in the "Superstar Mode", but the point system is like the practice mode in the last one; heavily weighted against the defense. So unless a play is broken up in the backfield or results in a turnover, you're not getting points. In fact, say you're in a 2nd and long and give up 3 yards, that's a small gain and -2 points. The Superstar mode is improved in other areas, with a camera zoom and optional CPU control of whatever side of the ball you're not on... Unfortunately the accelerated clock doesn't seem to work, though, so you can get mighty bored sitting on the sideline if you play 10-15 minute quarters. Also I've noticed the CPU fails to run the play clock when protecting a lead, so prepare to watch your offense go 3 & out on consecutive passing plays with a 20 point lead and 5 minutes in the game. Then again, I'm playing for the Bengals (DT) so maybe it's just simulating Bratkowski's play calling? The only other thing that comes to mine is kicking, the meter is a little different and now you use the analog stick instead of a button. Not sure why they changed it, but whatever. The new version also lets you control blockers, so before the snap you can switch to a fullback or lineman if you want and use the right stick to cut block, etc. Franchise mode seems much the same on the surface, but I'm waiting for a roster update to really check it out. It seems to still prevent you from using a custom playbook, which kinda sucks, but they did finally add team-specific defensive playbooks even if they are pretty close to the old generic 4-3/3-4 ones. The Bengals don't have a 3-4 at all, for example, and without being able to edit your own you're back to running Balanced to get both formations.

Other stuff, the Bengals are an 89 overall, but like last year are missing key players, particularly 2nd day picks from the draft. So no Peko yet, no Brazell, though a roster update is promised for Sept. 5th. Odell is still the starting MLB, and Landon is listed as a backup LOLB while Robinson is the 3rd DT with Geathers still starting at end. I'm sure most of this stuff will be fixed in the first roster update.

[quote name='CoMmEnT' post='321527' date='Aug 22 2006, 10:51 AM']They're not fantastic, but they are better than last year.

Manning and Brady are better than him (according to the game).

FULL STATS OF BENGALS:

[url="http://sports.ign.com/madden07/bengals.html"]http://sports.ign.com/madden07/bengals.html[/url][/quote]

I've only played with Bledsoe and Carson as yet, but that's enough to tell me that;

1. Carson is a badass.
2. Bledsoe sucks. He moves like the tin man minus his oil can. In clown shoes.

Not that I really needed Madden to tell me this...

89 for the team may look low, but remember a lot of players are young and will improve as much as 10 points total over one season in franchise mode - Joseph is an 80 as a rookie, for example. Then export the team and you're set.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='323589' date='Aug 25 2006, 01:15 AM']so with an update vs ValleyBengal...he gave me a tough game last night...i won 37-31 in OT (thank god i won the toss).

I wanna play again tomorrow valley because our first game was awesome and i highly doubt that game 2 is ever gonna happen again.[/quote]

I'm game. SHit like that happens evey once in awhile.

By the way, I played online against a Miami guy. My line could not block Jason Taylor. The guy never controlled him, but he had 9 tackles, with 6 sacks and 2 tackles for loss. Willie for some reason couldn't block. It's just weird how the game skews sometimes. Besides that, I also had a 100 yd kick return with Tab, but lost the game...

[quote name='Tigris' post='324719' date='Aug 27 2006, 06:50 PM']im in the final game of my first season in franchise mode. im 10-5 right now.

anyone do an offseason yet? how's the draft?[/quote]

The franchise is pissing me of with the HOF players added to the FA list. Ive done a couple searches and basically come up with nothing to get rid of them.

[quote name='Kochman' post='324836' date='Aug 28 2006, 12:10 AM']The franchise is pissing me of with the HOF players added to the FA list. Ive done a couple searches and basically come up with nothing to get rid of them.[/quote]

Not even messing with it until the first roster update... Pretty sure that in the older versions the franchise mode uses whatever roster you have loaded to start with. You might try resetting the rosters to default before starting your franchise? If that doesnt work loading the new one first probably will. It comes out the 5th...

Archived