Official Kentucky Wildcat thread

Guest bengalrick

Guest bengalrick

all right, i'm going to start it so we don't have to keep opening up new threads... feed the thread, talk shit about my cats, i don't really care, but try to keep all uk threads to this from now on to keep us organized...

so far, the cats are 10-1:

[b][url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teamsched?teamId=96"]Kentucky Schedule/Results[/url][/b]

11/20 Coppin St [b]W 77-46 1-0 [/b]
11/23 Ball State [b]W 73-53 2-0 [/b]
11/26 Georgia St [b]W 77-59 3-0 [/b]
11/30 Tennessee Tech [b]W 92-63 4-0[/b]
12/4 at No. 11 North Carolina [b]L 91-78 4-1[/b]
12/8 Morehead State [b]W 71-40 5-1[/b]
12/11 Indiana [b]W 73-58 6-1[/b]
12/18 at No. 14 Louisville [b]W 60-58 7-1[/b]
12/22 William & Mary [b] W 92-47 8-1[/b]
12/29 Campbell [b]W 82-50 9-1 [/b]
01/5 South Carolina [b]W 79-75 10-1 (1-0) [/b]

with this to go:

01/9 No. 2 Kansas 4:30 PM
01/12 Vanderbilt 7:00 PM
01/15 at Georgia 1:00 PM
01/19 at Mississippi 8:00 PM
01/22 LSU 1:30 PM Tickets
01/25 at Tennessee 9:00 PM
01/29 at Arkansas 3:30 PM
02/5 at Vanderbilt 3:00 PM
02/8 Florida 9:00 PM
02/12 Georgia 3:00 PM
02/15 at South Carolina 9:00 PM
02/19 No. 22 Mississippi St. 9:00 PM
02/23 Auburn 8:00 PM
02/26 at No. 18 Alabama 1:30 PM
03/2 Tennessee 8:00 PM
03/6 at Florida TBA

we are stacked this year, but we are young... the guys look better every game and that will only get better... national championship this year and next... :D

we got kansas tomorrow and this will be a hell of a game... we need to beat them b/c we need to keep up the streak... and also i've talked some shit about the uc and illinois game and i don't like crow...

no more gimme games from here on out though... only kansas and the sec :o

Thanks for starting this thread and be sure I will visit this topic often and wholeheartedly.

We look real good heading into SEC play this year, with a young, star-studded team that will mature nicely right up to tournament time.

I like Morris, Rondo and Ravi Moss a LOT!

Of course, Alleyne, Hayes and Azubuike are always nice.

I wish Lukas Orbzut had developed more to give us a more viable center option to score and soak up fouls because Morris is so young and foul-prone yet.

[color="blue"][font="Impact"]GO BIG BLUE KILL KANSAS!!!!!![/color][/font]

Should be a great game tomorrow.... :D

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Jan 8 2005, 05:47 PM']Thanks for starting this thread and be sure I will visit this topic often and wholeheartedly.

We look real good heading into SEC play this year, with a young, star-studded team that will mature nicely right up to tournament time.

I like Morris, Rondo and Ravi Moss a LOT!

Of course, Alleyne, Hayes and Azubuike are always nice.

I wish Lukas Orbzut had developed more to give us a more viable center option to score and soak up fouls because Morris is so young and foul-prone yet.

[color="blue"][font="Impact"]GO BIG BLUE KILL KANSAS!!!!!![/color][/font]

Should be a great game tomorrow.... :D
[right][post="34204"][/post][/right][/quote]

Kansas will slaughter UK.
The MildCats suck!
So does organization. I must start more "MildCats Suck" threads.

Do you really think that Kansas, which has squeaked out wins over sorry teams several times this year, minus Simien, playing their first road game of the year at RUPP ARENA, is going to slaughter the WILDcats?

Ya gotta be kidding...root against them if you will but be objective...Kansas is overrated, and they're playing their FIRST road game of the year...at RUPP ARENA!!!! C'mon!!!

:D

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Jan 8 2005, 07:37 PM']Do you really think that Kansas, which has squeaked out wins over sorry teams several times this year, minus Simien, playing their first road game of the year at RUPP ARENA, is going to slaughter the WILDcats?

Ya gotta be kidding...root against them if you will but be objective...Kansas is overrated, and they're playing their FIRST road game of the year...at RUPP ARENA!!!!  C'mon!!!

:D
[right][post="34237"][/post][/right][/quote]

If you wanna talk overrated, talk about the MildCats. Kansas will win by at least 10.
Is_A_Pukie et el will be manhandled :D

One of my best friends is a die hard MildCat fan, and we've had a heated rivalry over th years. There is no way in hell I can think of the MildCats objectively. The hate is ingrained in the essence of my being. At least until the Bearcats are out of it (which is usually rather quickly). Then I can root for UK. Although the UAB defeat was rather delicious.

In '92 I was a still a UK fan because of proximity. The Laettner bucket just killed me.
I was on spring break in Gatlinburg with friends and we were devastated. At least the Bearcats were still going that year.... They went to the Final Four. But since that year my friends rabid MildCat lust has turned me against UK.

Guest bengalrick

the laetner shot was very, very shitty... but the fact that that uk team was able to play against the likes of christian laetner, grant hill, and many more players (that we're much better) against a kentucky team that only uk fans remember the players... plus it was our first year out of probation...

btw, i don't talk much smack before games, but i guarentee NOBODY smokes the cats on their home floor... maybe beat them, but never slaughter.... our fans would start jumping on the court and tackling fools before they would let that happen :D ... :ninja:

Guest steggyD
You think Orbzut might be a little slow coming along because of the language barrier? I was also hoping for more from this guy. And I seriously doubt that UK, at home, will lose to Kansas.

[quote name='steggyD' date='Jan 9 2005, 02:11 PM']You think Orbzut might be a little slow coming along because of the language barrier? I was also hoping for more from this guy. And I seriously doubt that UK, at home, will lose to Kansas.
[right][post="34329"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

How'd them Mildcats do today???

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

If Kentucky can figure out how best to use it's depth, ie, which player combinations work best in certain situations, they'll be pretty unbeatable.

The talent is there, they are young.

The Kansas defeat proves that, along with the fact that UK has some serious shooting woes at times. Our 3pt% sucks, our free throws are even worse.

The development of Randolph Morris is going to be huge. He disappeared today.
He is a young grasshopper and has much to learn.

UK will be really clicking down the SEC stretch run and into the tournament...mark my words. I am wrong about a lot, but rarely about the UK team I love very dearly.

The biggest challenge IMHO for Tubby the next few years is KEEPING some of these guys...I sure hope Joe Crawford grows up quick...haven't seen much of this McDonald's AA yet...

We'll be fine. A close loss to the No 2 team in the country is considered a "quality" loss in the eyes of the selection committee...plus it provides ample fodder for Tubby to motivate our team.

A pox upon the houses of the unbelievers! UK will be standing tall deep into the tournament this year, which is all that really matters.

Two losses to top-five ranked opponents that were within our reach to win isn't that bad for a very young, developing team. We will prevail!

Kinda mirrors the Bengals progress... :ninja:

[quote name='sean' date='Jan 9 2005, 12:23 AM']If you wanna talk overrated, talk about the MildCats. Kansas will win by at least 10.
Is_A_Pukie et el will be manhandled :D

One of my best friends is a die hard MildCat fan, and we've had a heated rivalry over th years. There is no way in hell I can think of the MildCats objectively. The hate is ingrained in the essence of my being. At least until the Bearcats are out of it (which is usually rather quickly). Then I can root for UK. Although the UAB defeat was rather delicious.

In '92 I was a still a UK fan because of proximity. The Laettner bucket just killed me.
I was on spring break in Gatlinburg with friends and we were devastated. At least the Bearcats were still going that year.... They went to the Final Four. But since that year my friends rabid MildCat lust has turned me against UK.
[right][post="34286"][/post][/right][/quote]

So you don't have rabid lust for the Bearcats? You just "sorta-kinda" like them?
And how, if you once liked UK, could Laettner's shot have ruined it for you? We won TWO championships a few years later!!!!
I guess the expectation levels for greatness are far different for UK and UC fans.
I EXPECT to win every time UK takes the floor, I guess UC and their fans just hold their breath and hope nothing bad happens... :unsure:

Guest bengalrick
thats what a game looks like, when you have the two best defenses (or close to it) in the league... it was a great game, but we lost so it sucked...

i'm not going to talk shit about my beloved 7 TIME NATIONAL CHAMPTIONSHIP TEAM, THE KENTUCKY WILDCATS <clears throat> so i'll bring up my bright spot...

how about ravi moss.. walkon and has hit big shots whenever we need him... he could only do so much yesturday though...

Ravi's contributions off the bench have been gigantic, both at the end of last year and now this year.

It's not just the points he generates but the spark he provides when he comes off that bench and effortlessly drains threes...

We need 3pt shooting badly. We've actually been pretty crappy at it since the 2000 season, with maybe the exception of Tayshaun Prince.

Unlesss our big guys can develop more quickly and be a force inside, we are going to be putting up lots of 3 pointers. They need to start going in more.

And our free throw troubles never cease to amaze me. These guys have been toeing the foul line, real or imaginary, since they were little kids. Can't ANYBODY on Kentucky shoot better than 75% from the charity stripe? Those are valuable points that can (and have) cost us games if we don't make enough of them!!!

But In Marvin and Tubby I Trust...

Guest bengalrick

[quote]And our free throw troubles never cease to amaze me[/quote]

[img]http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~bgamble/webquest/noose.JPG[/img]

:blink: yeah, that is getting under my skin too...

It drives me NUTS!!
We are so aggressive to the basket and generate TONS of fouls, but yet we can't take advantage of them because Patrick Sparks is the only starter that shoots decent free throws, and he's only like 78%!! AND he sucked it up from the line in the last TWO games!
And don't even mention Rondo's free throws...GRRRRR!
If you're going to be the point guard at this level, you have to be able to shoot at LEAST 70% from the line...Rondo shoots about 54%...terrible...he's like Shaq with his free throws...
Why can't we recruit a guard that can start, play Tubby's defense AND shoot in the 80 percentile from the line?
It utterly baffles me...
If I were Tubby I would have guys like Rondo taking an extra hour of free throw practice EVERY DAY!!!!

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Jan 10 2005, 12:29 AM']So you don't have rabid lust for the Bearcats?  You just "sorta-kinda" like them?
And how, if you once liked UK, could Laettner's shot have ruined it for you?  We won TWO championships a few years later!!!!
I guess the expectation levels for greatness are far different for UK and UC fans.
I EXPECT to win every time UK takes the floor, I guess UC and their fans just hold their breath and hope nothing bad happens... :unsure:
[right][post="34438"][/post][/right][/quote]

I'll clarify a little for you.
My friend and I had started attending UC in '92. He would proudly walk around campus with UK gear on. That was just the beginning of the arrogance. He REFUSED to root in any way for the Bearcats. I supported both teams at the time, but he and many other UK fans made it impossible for me to still support UK.

How can you guys be happy with this defeat? Kansas didn't have their best player.
You were owned by a walk-on.

Guest bengalrick

not happy... anything but

but they are the number two team in the nation... and one player doesn't make a team... they are a hell of a team... even better w/ simeon :blink:

[quote name='sean' date='Jan 10 2005, 12:32 PM']I'll clarify a little for you.
My friend and I had started attending UC in '92. He would proudly walk around campus with UK gear on. That was just the beginning of the arrogance. He REFUSED to root in any way for the Bearcats. I supported both teams at the time, but he and many other UK fans made it impossible for me to still support UK.

How can you guys be happy with this defeat? Kansas didn't have their best player.
You were owned by a walk-on.
[right][post="34532"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I understand, but some fans of EVERY sports team have arrogance...it certainly isn't unique to UK fans. Cincy guys just like to act more cosmopolitan because UK is in "KINTUCKEE" and not a major city...so what?
If I were a UK fan and attended UC, I would certainly root for my own school though. I don't hate UC. I'm just indifferent towards them.
And I'm not "happy" about losing to the number 2 team in the USA, but I certainly can justify the negatives, as I already have.
In fact, I think UC and UK are on similar footing right now, with neither the coaches or the fans really sure what kind of team they have right now, with a bunch of youth, a few upperclassmen starters and some non-freshman who aren't fully developed yet.
Only time will tell.

Guest bengalrick
huh... i missed the game yesturday, but why didn't i hear about this?

[quote]His (rondo's) performance came two days after another Kentucky freshman guard, Joe Cawford, quit the team.[/quote]

[url="http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=37&url_article_id=14570&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2"]ukathletics[/url]

well, that sucks... that boy was going to be special...

[quote]A McDonald's All-America transferred from Michigan State because of lack of playing time. Now, it appears as though the Spartans will welcome a transfer for the same reason.[/quote] [url="http://www.thecatsdomain.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=005891"]catsdomain.com[/url]

what a crybaby... "i know i'm a freshman, and part of one of the best recruitment classes since the fab five, on a team that has more national championships and wins that 99% of the nation, but i think i should be starting, b/c i'm a mcdonalds all-american" - i'm getting more and more pissed hearing about this...

Rick-
He was upset over lack of PT...frankly, he hadn't earned it yet. We have plenty of depth at guard to cover his loss...look at the upside, this just means more playing time for the likes of Moss, Ramel Bradley (who is going to be REAL fine soon), Bobby Perry (been playing very well), etc.

BTW, I had to listen to the game last night...Rondo is incredibly good as long as he keeps himself in control. He had like 17 points and 4 steals last night...he's an ankle-breaker when he drives the lane for layups...

I'm more concerned with the play of the C position. It seems like every game lately we're going more and more with the smaller lineups and all the big men sit out. That is either an indication of a lack of development on the part of all the centers (ALL of whom are pretty raw and green), or Tubby's seeing matchups where the big men are a liability in some way.
Morris has to come along more quickly, be aggressive and not get so many fouls so quickly in games.

Other than that---[font="Impact"][color="blue"][b][u]Go Big Blue!!!!!!!
[/u][/b][/color][/font]

Guest bengalrick
i forgot there was a game yesturday... don't know whats up w/ me, but oh well...

rondo is a great pg, but needs a better 3 point shot and needs to shoot ft's better...

center is an extreme weakness imo... randolph gets better and better, but doesn't do good w/ bigger, more physical centers (kansas and nc both had one)... once he can get over that hump, look out!!! shagari needs to go to ballet classes or something to "understand" that massive body he has, a little better...

now to the crawford bs... you know how you pick out a favorite player for now particular reason... crawford was my favorite freshman b/c i saw him in the mcdonalds game and the dunk contest... he seemed like a cool guy and a hell of a player... but my god, you are 18 years old and playing for uk... since he's such a baby, i want him to leave, b/c moss is now my favorite player... a walkon that does nothing but nail big shots...

If he wanted to start he should have played well enough to do so. Obviously he was doing things Tubby didn't like, or he WASN'T doing the things Tubs was asking him to do. So, he didn't play. I'm sure watching Rondo start chafed him. But Rondo is a PG and has the distribution skills necessary for that position, and Crawford was a SG, and playing behind a deep bench with guys that have been here longer and play the coaches way. We needed a PG right away. We're lucky Rondo turned out to be as good as he is.

BTW, we won last night...I think we won by like 15...Vandy can shoot lights-out threes...I wish we could...

Archived