Official Kentucky Wildcat thread

Guest bengalrick

Guest BengalLady
[quote name='bengalrick' date='Jan 20 2005, 11:38 AM']strength of schedule...
[right][post="37237"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Ah, ok.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jan 20 2005, 10:26 AM']I got to stick with UK, I know im from the Nati but I lived in Ft. Knox for a good portion of my life which is when I developed a my UK fandom.

I dont know about you Bung, but seeing Pitino coach UL is like if your brother married someone you really disliked. Cause Im such a Pitino fan as well.

It would be like if Louis Lane married Lex Luther, How would Superman feel about that?!?
[right][post="37232"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I know what you mean.
Even Pitino has publicly shown regret for leaving UK.
Oh well...it pissed me off for awhile, but I'm over it...plus it adds another dimension of intensity to the rivalry...

Guest bengalrick
[url="http://www.courier-journal.com/cjsports/news2005/01/21/C1-cats01210-5993.html"]click here[/url]

[quote][b]Hayes is Cats' only banger on the inside[/b]
His inside mates called scared by foe 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Michael Smith
mssmith@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

LEXINGTON, Ky. — While University of Kentucky forward Chuck Hayes continues to gobble up most of his team's rebounds, he must feel lonelier than a scarecrow.

All too often in Wednesday night's 53-50 victory at Mississippi, he was the only blue jersey chasing the rebound. UK's inside game fell into that old corporate pitfall of 20 percent of the people doing 80 percent of the work.

[b]Other than Hayes, the Cats were so timid inside that Mississippi center Tommy Eddie called them scared. [/b] - (can you say, bulleton board material...)

"We flinched," UK coach Tubby Smith said yesterday while reviewing the game. "Chuck is the only guy who seems to understand how tough you have to be to win on the road."

In the eight seasons Smith has coached the Wildcats, his teams have been called a lot of things, but never scared. Until Hayes finds a consistent wingman inside, however, opponents might continue to exploit a UK defense that appears tougher on the outside than in the middle.

Freshman Randolph Morris was thought to be the answer, but the 6-foot-10 center again struggled with foul problems against the Rebels. Morris was on the court for six minutes Wednesday, including just 2:08 of the first half before he picked up two fouls.

His first foul appeared to come out of frustration when he lost the fight for a rebound and grabbed the jersey of an Ole Miss player. A minute later, he needlessly reached around Eddie for another foul, even though Eddie, a post player, was not in scoring position.

Morris lasted just 48 seconds into the second half before picking up his third foul on an illegal screen, a foul that nullified a Rajon Rondo dunk.

"Silly fouls," UK associate head coach David Hobbs said.

Shagari Alleyne took most of Morris' playing time, but his three rebounds in 18 minutes was hardly the production UK needed in a rough-and-tumble game. Smith also went to 6-7 forward Sheray Thomas and 7-footer Lukasz Obrzut in brief stints with no real results.

"Every team needs toughness," Hobbs said. "The more you've got, the better team you're going to have. This team is still learning how to be tough and what it takes to do the tough things."

Hobbs said the relative inexperience of this squad compared with UK's veteran-oriented teams of the past two seasons has contributed to the Cats' lack of toughness. It was never more evident than against a senior-laden Ole Miss team that plays with an in-your-face style.

Nine of UK's players are practically newcomers — four freshmen, four sophomores who didn't play last season and a junior transfer (Patrick Sparks).

"I know nobody wants to hear about us having nine new guys, but it takes time for everybody to learn how tough you have to be," Hobbs said.

That time grows even shorter with Louisiana State coming to Rupp Arena tomorrow. The Tigers feature one of the best inside attacks in the Southeastern Conference, and it seems to be getting better by the game.

Sophomore Brandon Bass is an imposing 250-pound forward whose physical style made him one of the league's best inside players as a freshman. His new sidekick, 310-pound freshman Glen Davis, answers the question, "Where's the beef?"

"If Davis doesn't weigh 360, I don't weigh anything," said South Carolina coach Dave Odom, who watched Davis get 28 points and 14 rebounds as LSU pounded the Gamecocks last week.

Davis has registered three straight double-doubles, including 26 points and 18 rebounds on Wednesday night in LSU's win over Arkansas and 15 points and 11 rebounds against Ohio State to go with his outing against South Carolina.

Those are the kind of numbers that Cats faithful envisioned for their freshman center, but Morris' best rebound game so far has been nine against Georgia State. In four SEC games, Morris has a total of 11 rebounds.

Smith also was chafed by 6-5 Kelenna Azubuike, who failed to grab a rebound against Ole Miss, the second SEC game in which he's been shut out on the boards.

"Chuck did a great job, but for Kelenna not to get any rebounds, that really shows that there are some things we're not doing," Smith said.

Freshman guard Ramel Bradley, who played 11 minutes in the first half against Ole Miss, sat out the second half because of a mild concussion. Bradley took a hit to the head midway through the first half when he was fouled on a three-pointer and Ole Miss' Marvin Moore landed on his head.

Smith said he didn't expect Bradley to practice yesterday but does expect him to play against LSU.

[b]NEXT FOR UK

Who: LSU

When: 1:30 p.m.

tomorrow

Where: Rupp Arena

TV: CBS-32 [/b][/quote]

Morris is good at the offensive end and is a foul liability on defense.
Alleyne is decent defending the basket but can't score unless he's dunking and he cannot run the floor very well.
Orbzut has somehow become a waste of space that never plays...I wonder why?
Our best success so far this year has been our multiple guard lineup with Hayes at the 4 and Sheray Thomas at the 5...although Sheray needs work too.
We are deep in terms of sheer bodies that can play, but we're still figuring ourselves out...

Guest bengalrick
the only good news, is they should only get better... they are young and it showed, but it can't be the rondo and hayes show every game... what the hell is up w/ azubuke??? he should be a stud, but can't get w/ the offense...

that shooting just pissed me off on wendsday... thats why defense wins in cbb, b/c thats the only thing that is always consistant...

Guest bengalrick
:D yeah, we only have problems w/ good defenses... especially the zone... sparks was $ today though... like i keep saying, we will only get better...

That was the best our team has played this season to date, i don't care if the opponent was The Mudhens from Kalamazoo, we played like a complete team today, and it showed.
Rajon Rondo is THE MAN!!!!!
Morris needs to learn to stay out of foul trouble...

Stay Tuned, UK fans.....

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Jan 21 2005, 06:32 PM']the only good news, is they should only get better... they are young and it showed, but it can't be the rondo and hayes show every game... what the hell is up w/ azubuke??? he should be a stud, but can't get w/ the offense...

that shooting just pissed me off on wendsday... thats why defense wins in cbb, b/c thats the only thing that is always consistant...
[right][post="37800"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I sometimes think the same thing about Azuibuike, but then I realize that he is our leading scorer, at around 15-16 pts per game, which is pretty good in Tubby's system, given that Tubs likes to sub in and out a lot.
Kelenna also adds solid defense and rebounds well.
I am loving Chuck Hayes...talk about dependable!

Guest steggyD
[quote name='bengalrick' date='Jan 25 2005, 06:47 PM']a friendly reminder to the uk fans out there... the game has changed to 7:00 tonight on ESPN... at tennessee...
[right][post="39297"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yes sir, and Tennesse has fallen. I hope Hayes is gonna be ok. One question, are Tennessee fans some of the worst you've ever seen lately? There were many empty seats in the lower level and the crowd's energy level just seemed like, well, nothing. It almost made the game seem surreal.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='steggyD' date='Jan 25 2005, 09:25 PM']Yes sir, and Tennesse has fallen. I hope Hayes is gonna be ok. One question, are Tennessee fans some of the worst you've ever seen lately? There were many empty seats in the lower level and the crowd's energy level just seemed like, well, nothing. It almost made the game seem surreal.
[right][post="39362"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

yeah, they were out of the game before the first half was even over... we did play one hell of a game though... sherray thomas and bobbie perry are the reason we won in the long run though... it takes two guys to take hayes's spot...

Guest steggyD
[quote name='sean' date='Jan 26 2005, 06:19 PM']The SEC sucks as bad as C-USA this year. I can't wait for the Big East. My interest is down in the team this year. It's like I'm waiting for the move to the BEast.
[right][post="39641"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
On that note, what is the opinions of SEC people? I had this theory last year that UK is just not getting good enough opponents in the SEC to be ready for the big dance. Look at it, UK has dominated the SEC the past few years, but when they get to NCAA tournament, it's like their SEC run was meaningless. Then look at where the other SEC teams fall out of the tournament. Yeah, they play some non-conference games, but those are early and not as many.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='steggyD' date='Jan 26 2005, 07:25 PM']On that note, what is the opinions of SEC people? I had this theory last year that UK is just not getting good enough opponents in the SEC to be ready for the big dance. Look at it, UK has dominated the SEC the past few years, but when they get to NCAA tournament, it's like their SEC run was meaningless. Then look at where the other SEC teams fall out of the tournament. Yeah, they play some non-conference games, but those are early and not as many.
[right][post="39702"][/post][/right][/quote]

uk wasn't deep at all last year, and they also had the worst game i've ever seen them play and uab's best game... but no excuses :D

no question that the sec is down... it sucks too, but it should build back sooner than later... last couple of years, they have been decent, but this year they are a little under decent... alabama and kentucky should both do something in the tourney though...

as far as hurting them in the tourney, i haven't made fun of uc for my entire life for no reason... it definately hurts... but there are still some huge rivialries in the sec, and its amazing that uk keeps stomping them <knock on wood>

[quote name='steggyD' date='Jan 26 2005, 06:25 PM']On that note, what is the opinions of SEC people? I had this theory last year that UK is just not getting good enough opponents in the SEC to be ready for the big dance. Look at it, UK has dominated the SEC the past few years, but when they get to NCAA tournament, it's like their SEC run was meaningless. Then look at where the other SEC teams fall out of the tournament. Yeah, they play some non-conference games, but those are early and not as many.
[right][post="39702"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I think that this is patently false. The SEC had like six teams in the tourney last year. Just because they all outed early is meaningless. Remember that teams in the tourney rarely if ever have played one another, and sometimes just don't match up well against opponents they haven't faced before.
The SEC is in a down year, because teams like Florida and Mississippi State are having growing pains. Plus Georgia is under limited scholarship probation thanks to Harrick.
SEC play is always tough for Kentucky because everyone wants a piece of us because we win the conference or contend for it year in and year out, and have been doing so for DECADES. We are a walking bullseye for other teams.
Frankly I could give a shit how the rest of the conference does except for affecting KY's schedule strength, but ultimately, I could care less about RPI and such. We are rarely worse than a 3 seed in the NCAA's anyway, and that's plenty good. I think quite honestly that this team is better, faster and more suited to making a tournament run than last year's team because of our depth.
The center position is almost becoming a non-issue as we have found quite a stride in playing 3 and 4 guard lineups.
I am pumped for our boys and what's really scary (if everyone sticks around a couple more years) is how good we'll be for the next two years!
Watch out for that Rondo kid...he is special...

Archived