The unintentional hit on Trent Green

Bengalino

[quote]Chiefs lose Green in third quarterBy John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Trent Green was knocked out Sunday on a scary helmet-to-helmet hit by Bengals defensive end Robert Geathers.

The good news is the Chiefs quarterback was doing better less than hour after the game. The bad news for Kansas City is that Green might be knocked out for at least a week with a key division game ahead next Sunday against the Broncos.

"Obviously, it was a pretty severe head trauma, but he had all of his senses and feeling in his arms and legs," Chiefs president Carl Peterson said. "Actually, when he did wake up, he remembered every play except the one that knocked him out. He's in the hospital right now, but the preliminary X-rays -- and they did them of the neck and head -- are negative. So we're being optimistic and hopeful."

On second-and-2 with 4:52 remaining in the third quarter, Green scrambled to his right and started to hook slide. As he did this, Geathers, possibly assisted by a push from behind from Chiefs receiver Eddie Kennison, delivered a helmet-to-helmet hit on Green. What was worse than the hit was the impact of Green's head snapping back on the Arrowhead Stadium grass.

"He's a leader of this team and to lose a guy like him, that's big. That's reality, but at the same time, we've got to go to work. We've got 15 games left. It's a long ride."
Derrick Johnson, Chiefs LB
The double impact knocked Green out cold. Within seconds, trainers brought out a backboard, but it took another 11 minutes to get Green off the field, leaving a sick feeling in the hearts of his Chief teammates.

"I don't like to look at stuff like that," tight end Tony Gonzalez said. "That's not my thing. I get to feeling pretty weird when I go to the hospital for my [charitable] foundation. This was just like that. It was obviously not as tragic as something at Mercy Hospital, but it was the same type of thing because you didn't know what was going on."

Damon Huard finished the game and might have to be next week's starter against Denver. Though he's 5-1 as a starter, it's hard to imagine Huard running the offense as smoothly as Green, a master of throwing accurate timing routes.

Head injuries are a big concern leaguewide, which is one of the reasons why it might be tough for Green to play next week. With a bye week scheduled after the Denver game, there is a good chance the Chiefs will let Green sit, but that won't be decided for a couple of days.

"The good thing is nothing's broke," Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. "He'll survive because he's a tough guy. I thought Damon came in and did a pretty good job once he got going. It was helmet to helmet and that's always tough. Officials will have to look at it on tape and we've been advised not to comment on officials' calls. I'm not going to 'He said' or what they should have done."

Geathers said the hit was unintentional. Though Geathers could be subjected to a fine for a making a helmet-to-helmet hit on a quarterback who was sliding feet first, the Bengals are going to argue that Geathers couldn't stop because Kennison pushed him.

"It's an unfortunate situation and my prayers go out to his family and him and I hope he recovers," Geathers said. "We're just playing ball, flying around, and I know he understands that. He's played a long time. My best goes to his family."

Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer was troubled by the injury because Green had been helpful to him, talking him through his recovery from reconstructive knee surgery. Green had a similar comeback earlier in his career.

"It's tough in this kind of small fraternity of quarterbacks in this league when you see a quarterback go down like that," Palmer said. "You start praying for him and that's all you can do and hope for the best."

Long term, Green appears to be fine. The question is going to be how long he will be out.

"He's a leader of this team and to lose a guy like him, that's big," Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson said. "That's reality, but at the same time, we've got to go to work. We've got 15 games left. It's a long ride."

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.[/quote]

Helmet to Helmet? ive seen the replay about a hundred times and every time i see shoulder to helmet.

It was a clean hit...that turned out badly. That's what happens when you play at 100 miles an hour.

We were looking for the Bengals D to develop an identity for this season...They are on the way, and these kinds of occurrences are part and parcel of having a fast, hitting D.

Love the way Peko is following up the play and diving over as well...That's the way a D should play.

Best wishes to Green...We know what it's like to worry about a QB. But Geathers did nothing wrong, and I don't want them to take the edge off this group just when they are starting to play.

BZ

I think everyone here needs to send an email to Clayton to tell him to watch the video first before making some stupid ass comment like it was a helmet to helmet hit. Unfortunately Green was hurt and Im suprised a flag wasnt thrown but did this dumbass even watch what happened or was he in a bar and heard a Chiefs fan say something.

Get well soon Trent.

Guest Johnsons4Life
Just got back from the game. Chiefs were not very happy at all about the hit. Its gonna be one of those calls where if your a cheifs fan you call it illegal and intentional but a bengals fan you call it legal. And our rush defense looks great for once along with a pass rush thats not too bad either. Defense carried the team today instead of the offense.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote][quote name='LeakyBengal' post='336313' date='Sep 10 2006, 05:35 PM']
[img]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5937/ripvj7.jpg[/img]
The second angle confirms the Chiefs player didn't even touch him IMO.[/quote]

[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='336325' date='Sep 10 2006, 05:43 PM']Looked like a clear whiff to me. Chiefs player never even touched Geathers.[/quote]
[/quote]

you are a blind mother fucker.

Guest Claptonrocks
You know Im looking at the Chiefs offense and I see LJ and Gonzo at the skill positions and really nothing else...
Their line was the shit up till this year... they made Green dangerous
Think having two good tackles doesnt mean a hell of allot in todays game?

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='336630' date='Sep 10 2006, 10:23 PM']The gothic cries of irony from DaveWorld:

[url="http://www.steelernation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9665"]http://www.steelernation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9665[/url]

We should truly fear their Einsatzgruppen in 2 weeks, wot? :rolleyes:[/quote]

I guess the Stealer fans/douches are the only ones who think it was a cheap hit. I went to the fucking Chiefs forum, majority said he should have slid earlier and it was a clean shot. Those Stealer tools crack me up.

Guest SportsFan

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='336306' date='Sep 10 2006, 04:27 PM'][center][img]http://peninsulaclarion.com/images/111703/FOOTBALL.jpg[/img]

[b][size=4]REST IN PEACE TRENT ...[/size]
next up Frye [/b] [/center][/quote]

:angry: It is guys like you and piss me off. It is a game and you use the R.I.P. for Trent Green?!?! Are you a sick individual? Do you have any idea what his wife and kids must have felt seeing that happen to Trent and you use a tombstone reference?!?! If you are the average Bengal fan, I need to change my alligence.

Guest Johnsons4Life

[quote name='SportsFan' post='336705' date='Sep 10 2006, 11:19 PM']:angry: It is guys like you and piss me off. It is a game and you use the R.I.P. for Trent Green?!?! Are you a sick individual? Do you have any idea what his wife and kids must have felt seeing that happen to Trent and you use a tombstone reference?!?! If you are the average Bengal fan, I need to change my alligence.[/quote]

Its a joke on a fan board.........chill out pussy........

[quote name='Johnsons4Life' post='336706' date='Sep 11 2006, 12:20 AM']Its a joke on a fan board.........chill out pussy........[/quote]

It's a stupid fucking joke, and if you saw that on a stealers board after the Kimo hit you and everybody here would be going mental.

Guest Johnsons4Life
[quote name='Utts' post='336708' date='Sep 10 2006, 11:28 PM']It's a stupid fucking joke, and if you saw that on a stealers board after the Kimo hit you and everybody here would be going mental.[/quote]

Whats your point??? Your exactly right.......we did go crazy when the hit happened on palmer and how we all saw stealer fans cheering and doing this stuff. Yet when Ben had his accident we did the same thing. Its just a part of the football game now doing jokes like that I guess. Call it what you want.

Guest SportsFan
[quote name='Phatcat' post='336464' date='Sep 10 2006, 07:06 PM']thansk Steggy. CASED CLOSED.............

oh and by the way, anyone else who thinks otherwise just needs to SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!

EDIT - I am more than happy to engage in an intelligent debate, but I will be honest........ I see NO rational, reasonable, or logical debate on this hit be illegal or a hit that could be avoided. Plain and simple - Green made a decision to go for the first down. He had a choice.[/quote]

Please show us the point when Geathers tried to roll off or soften the hit. Please show us, can you? I thought Robert was a professional athlete that was in control of himself. The contact by Kennison was slight at best. Why can you just grow up about it. We won, they lost. The NFL will fine Geathers and the league will apologize to the Chiefs for the refs mistake. You guys know how this goes. You know the stealers and everyone else is gunning for us, why act like complete asses about this. Based on Robert's postioning, if Trent as stayed upright, where would Robert have hit him? Right in the knees, that's where. Don't give Kennison the credit for the force and angle Robert hit Trent. That was all Robert.

I also find it interesting that some of the folks in here aren't intelligent enough to put sentences together without the use of curse words. But then again, maybe you are the ones that supported the team signing a rapist.

Guest BengalBacker
Gee. You guys do believe he's a Bengal fan don't you?

Look, most of us here made no jokes about Green. In fact most of us expressed hope that he is ok. Don't judge everyone by the actions of a few, and don't join our board pretending to be one of us when clearly you aren't.

Guest SportsFan
[quote name='BengalBacker' post='336715' date='Sep 10 2006, 11:37 PM']Gee. You guys do believe he's a Bengal fan don't you?
Look, most of us here made no jokes about Green. In fact most of us expressed hope that he is ok. Don't judge everyone by the actions of a few, and don't join our board pretending to be one of us when clearly you aren't.[/quote]

My season tickets in section 345 would say otherwise. And most in here are expressing what a great guy Green is, but our guys aren't infalible. I don't want to think it was dirty on RGs part, but his immediate reaction after the hit was not one of "hey he pushed me into him" it was more of a "yeah i got him" then he turned and saw Green was out. It was his immediate reaction after the play and before he saw Trent was hurt that I'm judging his intent regarding the hit.

Archived