The unintentional hit on Trent Green

Bengalino

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Geathers' hit on Green draws K.C.'s ire[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]No penalty called, but Bengals DL regrets outcome[/b][/size]
BY PAUL DAUGHERTY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

KANSAS CITY - The frightening scene left Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Trent Green motionless on his back and Bengals defensive lineman Robert Geathers on one knee, head bowed in prayer. "I said a few words for him and his family," Geathers said later.

With 4:40 left in the third quarter, Green scrambled right on 2nd-and-2 from midfield. After securing the first down, Green baseball-slid to the grass. Geathers hit him violently, just as Green was hitting the turf. "I knew I didn't hit him head to head. It was my shoulder pad that hit his head," said Geathers. In a scene arrestingly familiar to Bengals fans, Green lay on the grass near the Chiefs sideline for at least 10 minutes. Medical personnel gently lifted him onto a gurney and wheeled Green off, to a combination of boos and cheers from the home crowd, which felt Geathers had leveled a cheap, late hit. Geathers was not penalized on the play.

[b]"Helmet to helmet," charged Chiefs coach Herm Edwards.[/b] "Officials will have to look at it on tape and we've been advised not to comment on officials' calls." Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said Chiefs wideout Eddie Kennison blocked Geathers into Green. [b]Replays showed that it was Geathers' shoulder pad that struck Green's helmet.[/b] But Lewis' contention that Geathers was blocked into Green could not be established conclusively, even after multiple viewings of the play.

Green went from Arrowhead Stadium to a local hospital. A Chiefs spokesman said "preliminary" X-rays on Green's head and neck were negative. "A severe head trauma," the club called it. "But he had all his senses and feeling in his arms and legs. When he did wake up, he remembered every play except the one that knocked him out."

Afterward, Geathers seemed shaken. "It's hard watching him on the ground, knowing he has a family. I wish the best for him," he said. Geathers also said he wasn't immediately aware Green was hurt. "It didn't look like he was going to slide. Maybe he didn't see me."

[b]The incident tarnished an otherwise dynamic performance by Geathers (four tackles, two sacks)[/b] and the Bengals defense as a whole, which amassed seven sacks, forced three turnovers and limited Chiefs' All-Pro running back Larry Johnson to 68 yards on 17 carries.

E-mail pdaugherty@Enquirer.com[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060911/SPT02/609110386/1066/SPT"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...110386/1066/SPT[/url]

[quote name='SportsFan' post='336711' date='Sep 11 2006, 12:32 AM']Please show us the point when Geathers tried to roll off or soften the hit. Please show us, can you? I thought Robert was a professional athlete that was in control of himself. The contact by Kennison was slight at best. Why can you just grow up about it. We won, they lost. The NFL will fine Geathers and the league will apologize to the Chiefs for the refs mistake. You guys know how this goes. You know the stealers and everyone else is gunning for us, why act like complete asses about this.[b] Based on Robert's postioning, if Trent as stayed upright, where would Robert have hit hi[/b]m? Right in the knees, that's where. Don't give Kennison the credit for the force and angle Robert hit Trent. That was all Robert.

I also find it interesting that some of the folks in here aren't intelligent enough to put sentences together without the use of curse words. But then again, maybe you are the ones that supported the team signing a rapist.[/quote]

You do realise when a QB starts running out of the pocket and especialy past the line of scrimage until he is fulling in a slide?? Have you ever seen vick get tackled. ALways below the waste if he is running down field. That QB protection Mantra only applies if you are in the pocket. He wasnt going for his legs. He was probly trying to tackle him in his legs.. Dont give yourself so much credit as to think robert would intintatly try to injur trent green. Ben Fuckburger maybe. Not Trent Green... You need to grow the fuck up and realise this is football. Sometimes shit happens. Geathers was airborn the same time trent started to slide. Geathers got blocked down by kenison.

Geathers Will get fined. No It was not helmet to helmet. It was Helmet to turf.

Geathers does NOT deserve a fine as he did nothing wrong but play the game of football, just like Trent. It was an unfortunate accident.
The whole thing is drawing a lot of attention, but I'm focusing on how badly we are going to beat the Browns for our home opener.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Trent Green Tops List of Week 1 Injuries[/b][/size]

By The Associated Press
Published September 10, 2006

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Trent Green is wheeled off the field after being tackled by Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Robert Geathers during the third quarter of an NFL football game Sunday, Sept. 10, 2006, in Kansas City, Mo. The Bengals won 23-10. (AP Photo/Ed Zurga)

Kansas City quarterback Trent Green was carted off with head and neck trauma after a hard hit, Panthers middle linebacker Dan Morgan was lost to a concussion and Jaguars defensive end Reggie Hayward will miss the season with a torn Achilles' tendon in a series of key opening-game injuries Sunday.

More than 77,000 fans sat motionless in their seats at Arrowhead Stadium as Green didn't move after he was belted by Cincinnati's Robert Geathers. He was taken to a hospital with severe neck trauma, according to Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson, but preliminary X-rays on his head and neck came back negative.

"You just start praying," backup quarterback Damon Huard said. "You think about him, his family and his health."

Green, who has made 81 straight starts, regained all his senses and feeling in his arms and legs.

"Actually," Peterson said after the 23-10 Bengals win, "when he did wake up he remembered every play except the one that knocked him out.

"His family, including his wife Julie, is with him and we're going to be cautiously optimistic that he's going to be back," Peterson added. "But he's certainly got a headache right now."

No penalty was called on the play, and while Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said it looked like a helmet-to-helmet shot from his vantage point a few yards away, he had been advised not to comment on the officials' call.

[b]But defensive end Tamba Hali said referee [size=5]Larry Nemmers told him no penalty was called because Geathers was airborne and unable to stop himself.[/size] [/b]

"This league is supposed to protect the quarterback," said Hali, shaking his head. [b]"The comment from the ref was he was in the air.[/b] You can't have helmet-to-helmet because you can't control yourself in the air. But at least a call should have been made."[/quote]

[url="http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060910/APS/609100858&sectioncat=SPORTS"]http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...ctioncat=SPORTS[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='336944' date='Sep 11 2006, 09:06 AM'][url="http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060910/APS/609100858&sectioncat=SPORTS"]http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...ctioncat=SPORTS[/url][/quote]
WTF is wrong with Hali? The ref told him, and he sounded like he believed that YOU CANNOT CONTROL YOUR FORWARD MOTION ONCE YOU ARE IN THE AIR!
And in the last sentence of the article, he still thinks a penalty should have been called? Why?

A penalty should have been called if there was helmet-to-helmet. But there wasn't.

As far as hitting a QB while sliding, it is apparent from the replays that Geathers initiated his dive at the same time Green started his slide. Geathers could not have stopped contact.

I predict he will not be fined, and this whole thing is forgotten when Trent comes back in week 3-4.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='336954' date='Sep 11 2006, 11:11 AM']God, I just reread my post. What awful spelling mistakes. Is it really that early? I'm sick and all, but wow, that's bad.[/quote]

Dont worry about it, Im extreamly bad at spelling myself and in addition this is a message board not a term paper.

Plus... Spellcheck isnt working. :contract:

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Bunghole' post='336956' date='Sep 11 2006, 10:14 AM']WTF is wrong with Hali? The ref told him, and he sounded like he believed that YOU CANNOT CONTROL YOUR FORWARD MOTION ONCE YOU ARE IN THE AIR!
And in the last sentence of the article, he still thinks a penalty should have been called? Why?[/quote]

Apparently he thought it was a helmet to helmet hit.
When obviously it was a shoulder pad to chest, helmet to turf hit.

It`s obvious that the Refs, players and coaches think Geathers was
airborne and couldn`t stop himself. The only arguement seems to
be whether or not it was helmet to helmet. Which it wasn`t...

First of all, I love how the squeeler fans are saying KC would have won the game if it wasnt for Green getting hurt, even though i think it was 17-3 when the injury happened.

Second of all, I dont think it was a cheap hit, but then again I think to myself, if Joey Porter would have done that to Carson, I guarantee a good majority of the people in here would think it was a cheap shot. The difference to me about this one and the kimo hit was that Geathers used his shoulder to tackle the guy around the upper body but happend to get his head, where as Kimo was going straight for the knee and even twisted it. I feel bad for Green, but also think this argument is worthless cause most of us would think it was the other way around if it were carson that got hurt.

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='Gonzoid' post='336919' date='Sep 11 2006, 10:46 AM']Translation: it admonishes the Bengals of any blame.

[size=1]Homer![/size][/quote]

umm that actually had nothing to do with it. It is well written whether what she said was true or not.

So :0stfu:

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='336980' date='Sep 11 2006, 11:31 AM']First of all, I love how the squeeler fans are saying KC would have won the game if it wasnt for Green getting hurt, even though i think it was 17-3 when the injury happened.

Second of all, I dont think it was a cheap hit, but then again I think to myself, if Joey Porter would have done that to Carson, I guarantee a good majority of the people in here would think it was a cheap shot. The difference to me about this one and the kimo hit was that Geathers used his shoulder to tackle the guy around the upper body but happend to get his head, where as Kimo was going straight for the knee and even twisted it. I feel bad for Green, but also think this argument is worthless cause most of us would think it was the other way around if it were carson that got hurt.[/quote]

You're right... I would be mad as hell.

At Carson!

Green really pushed it.. He was trying to spark something and keepa drive alive by throwing the dice, and gambling that he could get a couple axtra yards while escaping the threat of what ended up happening to him.

He threw the dice and came up 6's.... He lost and cost his team and himself big. One game is not worth that risk (unless you are in the PS). Everytime I see CP pushing it on a scramble I pull my hair out.

Guest SportsFan
[quote name='bengalrick' post='336864' date='Sep 11 2006, 08:51 AM']do you think momentium is that easy to stop... the lowering of the shoulder is an instinct, not malcontent... you can think what you want, but the hit was an unfortinate accident... he would have hit him down low, WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TACKLE, you fucking retard... have you ever played football before? if you did, you sucked at tackling if you tried to tackle someone above the waist...[/quote]

So you're saying, you should go for the knees? Is that what you're saying? If Green stays up right Geathers hits him at his knees. And yes an NFL defensive end needs to go at a QBs knees, because we all know that ,QB, such asTrent Green, would have steamrolled him if RG went at the waist or chest. And as for you needing to resort to name calling...I have no problem with that, it just shows what an intellect you are. Oh, and if you have problems with any of the big words I'm sure we can all pitch in and help you out. After all we want to help out our own.

Looking forward to dessert this week..it's Brownie Sunday...served up by our Bengals!!

[quote name='SportsFan' post='336992' date='Sep 11 2006, 11:53 AM']So you're saying, you should go for the knees? Is that what you're saying? If Green stays up right Geathers hits him at his knees. And yes an NFL defensive end needs to go at a QBs knees, because we all know that ,QB, such asTrent Green, would have steamrolled him if RG went at the waist or chest. And as for you needing to resort to name calling...I have no problem with that, it just shows what an intellect you are. Oh, and if you have problems with any of the big words I'm sure we can all pitch in and help you out. After all we want to help out our own.

Looking forward to dessert this week..it's Brownie Sunday...served up by our Bengals!![/quote]

It's really convenient of you as a "Bengal" fan that the first time you show up here is after we win on the road to start the season, and all you have done is complain, belittle and argue..

You have been combative with your fellow "fans", and done nothing but criticise the team and players you are supposedly a fan of.

Just letting you know that you haven't fooled anyone here. And any legitimate argument you may have is completely negated by the fact that you are trying to be deceptive and claim to be something you are not.

Why be so immature? Just admit you are a Chiefs fan who feels the need to make us feel bad about our team so you can extract some sort of redemption for what is surely a painfull time for you. Pretending to be a bengals fan is foolish and inneffective.

Oh, and BTW, if green had not slid, he would have continued moving forward, there are also other things which would have occured to change the dynamic of the hit... You can't simply put green in a standing position and juxtapose.

It's a bad argument.

[quote name='Lucid' post='336995' date='Sep 11 2006, 12:02 PM']It's really convenient of you as a "Bengal" fan that the first time you show up here is after we win on the road to start the season, and all you have done is complain, belittle and argue..

You have been combative with your fellow "fans", and done nothing but criticise the team and players you are supposedly a fan of.

Just letting you know that you haven't fooled anyone here. And any legitimate argument you may have is completely negated by the fact that you are trying to be deceptive and claim to be something you are not.

Why be so immature? [b]Just admit you are a Chiefs fan who feels the need to make us feel bad about our team so you can extract some sort of redemption for what is surely a painfull time for you. [/b] Pretending to be a bengals fan is foolish and inneffective.

Oh, and BTW, if green had not slid, he would have continued moving forward, there are also other things which would have occured to change the dynamic of the hit... You can't simply put green in a standing position and juxtapose.

It's a bad argument.[/quote]

Well his IP does place him in Kansas. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img]

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='336980' date='Sep 11 2006, 10:31 AM']First of all, I love how the squeeler fans are saying KC would have won the game if it wasnt for Green getting hurt, even though i think it was 17-3 when the injury happened.

Second of all, I dont think it was a cheap hit, but then again I think to myself, if Joey Porter would have done that to Carson, I guarantee a good majority of the people in here would think it was a cheap shot. The difference to me about this one and the kimo hit was that Geathers used his shoulder to tackle the guy around the upper body but happend to get his head, where as Kimo was going straight for the knee and even twisted it. I feel bad for Green, but also think this argument is worthless cause most of us would think it was the other way around if it were carson that got hurt.[/quote]

At this point, I worry more about Geathers. Will he shake it off and keep up the hard hitting plays or will he shy away from a big hit?

[quote name='Cricket' post='337005' date='Sep 11 2006, 12:17 PM']Wasn't he a safety for the Bengals last year?
:ninja:[/quote]

:lol:

I also like how after he gets called out he leaves the thread without replying.

Im sure there are Bengals fans in Olathe, Kansas but the fact that he left without replying only confirms Lucid's sucpesions for me.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='337011' date='Sep 11 2006, 12:22 PM']:lol:
I also like how after he gets called out he leaves the thread without replying.

Im sure there are Bengals fans in Olathe, Kansas but the fact that he left without replying only confirms Lucid's sucpesions for me.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='SportsFan' post='336992' date='Sep 11 2006, 10:53 AM']So you're saying, you should go for the knees? Is that what you're saying? If Green stays up right Geathers hits him at his knees. And yes an NFL defensive end needs to go at a QBs knees, because we all know that ,QB, such asTrent Green, would have steamrolled him if RG went at the waist or chest. And as for you needing to resort to name calling...I have no problem with that, it just shows what an intellect you are. Oh, and if you have problems with any of the big words I'm sure we can all pitch in and help you out. After all we want to help out our own.

Looking forward to dessert this week..it's Brownie Sunday...served up by our Bengals!![/quote]

Your team lost, ...deal with it! Move on! You've got a game in Denver to win next. They are beatable (even without Green). You'll be fine.

Archived