'Roids suspected in Bolt LB

bengaldee

Charger linebacker Steve Foley, shot three times on Sept. 3 by an off-duty police officer in a San Diego suburb, is suspected by prosecutors of being on steroids at the time of the shooting, and lawyers are seeking samples of Foley's blood for testing.
Foley has been listed in fair condition this week at Sharp Memorial Hospital. Prosecutors filed search warrant applications yesterday in efforts to secure a sample from the hospital.

This is a legal issue, not an NFL Players Association issue, but union boss Gene Upshaw said yesterday: "I just want to get more facts. From what I heard on this, it doesn't smell right. As the NFL and our office will be looking into the facts of this case, this doesn't smell right from a number of angles."

In an affidavit for a search warrant, criminal investigator Dan Norvell writes: "His history of aggressive and even violent contact with law enforcement indicates the possibility of more than mere alcohol involvement. (Steroids) can cause erratic behavior in those that use them. This has been given names like 'roid rage for the uncontrollable outbursts and violence experienced by some users."

Prosecutors have no evidence Foley was using steroids, but want to test his blood because he has a history of brushes with the law - he has been arrested five times since 1999.

Nordell wrote in the affidavit that Foley's blood-alcohol level was 0.233%, which is almost three times California's legal driving limit of 0.08%. He may be charged with misdemeanor drunken driving.

NFL players can be randomly tested for steroids up to six times during the offseason. They also are tested for their training camp physicals. During the season, seven players per team per week are randomly tested.

"If they are talking about taking his body fluids and testing for things beyond what the state says, I think I would sue them," Upshaw said.

Foley was shot three times in the left leg by an off-duty Coronado officer who had followed Foley and one passenger for 30 miles off the highway on suspicion of drunken driving. Officer Aaron Mansker says he spotted Foley's restored classic car driving erratically at speeds up to 90 mph and tailed the car until it stopped in front of the linebacker's home in suburban Poway.

Mansker claims he fired a warning shot after the 6-4, 265-pound Foley left his vehicle and began approaching him, then shot Foley when he reached into his pants with his right hand.

Archived