if you like to cook

[quote name='Storm' post='362415' date='Oct 11 2006, 05:59 PM']Couple of things I suck at for cooking

[b]Bread[/b] Can't seem to make a homeade bread thats worth a shit -_- anyone got a good recipe?
[b]Breaded pork chops [/b] for some reason I can do chicken right but just can't get my breaded pork chops tender and where the breading doesn't fall off :( I've tried high heat, low heat, dipping in egg first and just about everything but I can't get it right[/quote]

What I do, learned from Granna at a young age - do your normal breading routine on the chops. Brown both sides quickly and remove from heat. Thows those chops in a covered oven dish and let cook for 40 to 45 minutes at 350. Perfecto!!!!! They will be fall apart tender while the breading remains crisp. Unlike Chicken the pork is more tolerant to extended cooking - Pork Fat Rules!!!!!

And then my favorite Side Dish with some breaded chops - Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes

[u]Garlic[/u]
Cut top off head of garlic - to expose tops of each clove.
drizzle lighly with olive oil and salt
wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes (you can throw these in with the chops)
allow to cool

[u]Taters[/u]
I use small reds - don't peel - cook in boiling water until fork tender, then drain water.

[u]Green Onion/Cream - NO Milk in this[/u]
1 bunch green onions chopped
tablespoon olive oil
2 cups cream
sautee green onions in oil for 3 minutes over medium high heat lightly salt
throw in cream, bring to a simmer and reduce by half - basically turns into a nice sauce consistency Do this why the chops are in the oven and you are preparing potatoes.

when everything is done, MIX.....
Squeeze garlic into potatoes (that's why the top is cut off earlier)
Lightly Smash (do not mash) the potatoes - just to break up the potatoes
salt and pepper to taste
add desired cream/green onion amount (I start with half and go from there) and smash to your preferred texture - I like smooth but chunky. Depends on how many potatoes I fix on whether I use all of the reduced cream.

Cajun potatos (Got this recipe from a guy from New Orleans)

small red potatos (I like to mix small red and yukon gold potatos) put in large pot with water filled 3/4 to the top, add 1 stick of margerine, some salt and pepper (the more pepper the better) a bottle of [b]Lawry's Cajun Marinade[/b] , 3 gloves of garlic , 2 onions cut up and a 1/4 cup of hot sauce

Boil on high until water is almost evaporated then add a couple more cups water and boil down some more

potatos come out very tasty and with a kick

[quote name='Storm' post='362838' date='Oct 12 2006, 05:02 PM']Cajun potatos (Got this recipe from a guy from New Orleans)

small red potatos (I like to mix small red and yukon gold potatos) put in large pot with water filled 3/4 to the top, add 1 stick of margerine, some salt and pepper (the more pepper the better) a bottle of [b]Lawry's Cajun Marinade[/b] , 3 gloves of garlic , 2 onions cut up and a 1/4 cup of hot sauce

Boil on high until water is almost evaporated then add a couple more cups water and boil down some more

potatos come out very tasty [b]and with a [u]kick[/u][/b][/quote]

I'll bet. Potatoes soak up spice. When I lived in Baton Rouge I went to a couple of crawfish boils. The potatoes were always the spiciest things to come out of the pot.

[quote name='Jason' post='363178' date='Oct 13 2006, 07:34 PM']I'll bet. Potatoes soak up spice. When I lived in Baton Rouge I went to a couple of crawfish boils. The potatoes were always the spiciest things to come out of the pot.[/quote]

Didn't think much of em the first time I tried them but later on got a craving for them and now I'm hooked

• 4 months later...
Guest CincyInDC
Best onion soup I've ever had. I had to skip the parsley, thyme, and apple cider.

French Onion Soup
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats
Episode: A Bowl of Onion
5 sweet onions (like Vidalias) or a combination of sweet and red onions (about 4 pounds)
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white wine
10 ounces canned beef consume
10 ounces chicken broth
10 ounces apple cider (unfiltered is best)
Bouquet garni; thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley tied together with kitchen string
1 loaf country style bread
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper
Splash of Cognac (optional)
1 cup Fontina or Gruyere cheese, grated

Trim the ends off each onion then halve lengthwise. Remove peel and finely slice into half moon shapes. Set electric skillet to 300 degrees and add butter. Once butter has melted add a layer of onions and sprinkle with a little salt. Repeat layering onions and salt until all onions are in the skillet. Do not try stirring until onions have sweated down for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, stir occasionally until onions are dark mahogany and reduced to approximately 2 cups. This should take 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not worry about burning.
Add enough wine to cover the onions and turn heat to high, reducing the wine to a syrup consistency. Add consume, chicken broth, apple cider and bouquet garni. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
Place oven rack in top 1/3 of oven and heat broiler.
Cut country bread in rounds large enough to fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks. Place the slices on a baking sheet and place under broiler for 1 minute.
Season soup mixture with salt, pepper and cognac. Remove bouquet garni and ladle soup into crocks leaving one inch to the lip. Place bread round, toasted side down, on top of soup and top with grated cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

About 2lb. fresh Anaheim peppers (So far, I've only found these at

Wal-Mart)(I usually buy 8 peppers)

2 8oz blocks cream cheese (room temp)

1C shredded sharp cheddar

1 heaping tblsp dry onion

1 tblsp. granulated garlic

1/2 c or more (usually more)Pulled pork or fine chopped little smokies (I've

also used chicken and turkey)

1 or 2 tblsp. Honey

bbq rub

2 lb bacon

Cut peppers in half lengthwise scoop out seeds and membrane set aside. Set bacon out and let come to room temp. Mix all remaining ingredients except bbq rub thoroughly. Fill peppers with mixture. Cut bacon in half. Wrap half slice around each pepper. (not necessary to use tooth picks to hold together. The bacon holds together well if it is at room temp.) Sprinkle with bbq rub. Refrigerate overnight, if possible. Cook at about 225 - 250 until bacon is done about 1 hour.

Guest CincyInDC
Rumaki

whole water chestnuts
bacon
sweet bbq sauce
toothpicks

drain water chestnuts
slice bacon into 3rds
wrap chestnuts with bacon and secure with toothpick
bake at 350F until bacon is cooked (15 minutes or so)
drain bacon grease
add bbq sauce
bake again until sauce boils

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='359392' date='Oct 5 2006, 08:21 PM'][center][img]http://radio.weblogs.com/0001015/images/2002/03/08/chef.jpg[/img][img]http://www.free-graphics.com/clipart/Entertainment/Dining/Chef_Holding_Tray.jpg[/img][/center]

i love to cook! :D i really enjoy it, and i love to eat. today i made some greek style meat loaf, and it's awsome.

you will need 1lb lean ground beef, or sirloin. i usually get the 92% cause i eat healthy or atleast try.
6oz stovers stuffing mix, fetta cheese, a red bell pepper(dice it), oregano leaves, 1cup water,and a muffin pan.
and preheat the oven to 375 dig.

mix the meat with the stuffing mix, 1tsp oregano leaves, 1cup water, and 1tsp salt. mix in a large bowl and spray the muffin pan with cooking spray then put the seasoned meat in the muffin pan. the best way to cook meat loaf, you'll never look back.[img]http://fancyflours.com/fancyflours/images/items/muffin-pan.jpg[/img] once you finish putting all the seasoned meat in all the slots, take a spoon and make a dent in each meat muffin and add the diced red pepper. then cook in the oven for 30 minutes, take out and top with fetta cheese and cook additional 5 minutes. and thats it, enjoy. you will thank me. for side dishes you could make corn, mashed potatos, asparagus, any vegtable. or even rice. pasta salad with some olive oil and redwine viniger is great also.

but please share some recipes with us if you got some good ones just no pork since im muslim :D[/quote]

Just made the meat muffins tonight - "great success!"

[img]http://www.saramacel.com/myspace/borat-cannes.jpg[/img]

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='449762' date='Mar 3 2007, 06:41 PM'][b]Chicken Jalfrezi[/b] / Aloo Matar[/quote]

If you can't find a particular ingredient at your local grocery store, Jungle Jims or one of the many Pak/Indian grocery stores in the area will definitely have what you are looking for.

[b]Ingredients[/b]
2 lbs Boneless chicken meat
4 medium sized onions-chopped
4 tomatoes-chopped
2 onions cut into thick slices
2 tomatoes cut into broad slices
1 Capsicum (Shimla Mirch) cut into slices (the yellow variety can also be used to enhance the color of the dish)
1 tsp. garlic (Lehsan) paste
1 tsp. ginger (Adrak) paste
¼ tsp. ground garam masala
¼ tsp. turmeric (Haldi) powder
½ tsp. coriander (Dhaniya) powder
1 tsp. salt (according to taste)
3-4 tbs. oil (olive oil preferred by me)

[b]Instructions [/b]
Sauté the chopped onions in the oil till transparent. Add the Garlic (Indo/Pak name = Luhsan), Ginger (Adrak), Turmeric (Haldi), Coriander Seeds (Dhaniya) and chopped tomatoes. Cover and simmer to allow the tomatoes to soften.
Add the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes or until the chicken is slightly tender. Add the salt.
Take a few tea spoons of oil from this chicken into a separate frying pan.
Heat and add the sliced onion, Capsicum (Shimla Mirch), sliced tomatoes, and garam masala. Sauté this for a while till the vegetables soften lightly.
To this frying pan add the cooked chicken. Mix and allow cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
Serve with rice
Serves 4 people or if I'm with you, 3.

Bon apetit!

Guest steggyD
Here's mine:

1 woman
1 wedding ring
1 handfull of nights of sex over 10 years
2 subscriptions to different cooking magazines, including Bon Appetit
100's of dollars spent on cooking supplies

First, take the woman and give her a ring. Agree to having sex only a handfull of times over the next ten years. In the meantime, buy her subscriptions to cooking magazines. Then, each time she wants to make a new recipe that calls for a new cooking supply, rush out to the local department store and throw it on the credit card. These items include mixers, blenders, food processors, etc.

Then sit down for dinner every night and you have a new meal waiting for you to eat.

Guest CincyInDC

[quote name='steggyD' post='464498' date='Mar 29 2007, 08:00 PM']Here's mine:

1 woman
1 wedding ring
1 handfull of nights of sex over 10 years
2 subscriptions to different cooking magazines, including Bon Appetit
100's of dollars spent on cooking supplies

First, take the woman and give her a ring. Agree to having sex only a handfull of times over the next ten years. In the meantime, buy her subscriptions to cooking magazines. Then, each time she wants to make a new recipe that calls for a new cooking supply, rush out to the local department store and throw it on the credit card. These items include mixers, blenders, food processors, etc.

Then sit down for dinner every night and you have a new meal waiting for you to eat.[/quote]

I tried this once, and all the bitch could make was minute rice and castlebury canned stew. Totally not worth it.

:ninja: (I wish)

• 6 years later...

I searched on bacon and found this old thread.  So anyway, I made "bacon jam" today.  I recommend it even to our bacon-challenged members.

Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam from Closet Cooking

A sweet, salty, smoky, spicy and down right tasty bacon jam that is the definition of umami! This bacon jam goes well on toast for breakfast and makes for a great condiment in sandwiches and burgers of all sorts!

Servings: makes 1-2 cups

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Ingredients
  • 1 pound thick smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup coffee (brewed)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup bourbon
  • 1-2 chipotle chilis in adobo, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan an over medium heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon starts to get crispy and set aside, reserving 1 tablespoon of the grease in the pan.
  2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
  3. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
  4. Add the vinegar and deglaze the pan.
  5. Add the coffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, bacon, chipotle chilies, cumin and pepper, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency, about 1-2 hours.
  6. Process the jam in a food processor to smooth it out a bit but not too much as you want to have the texture of the bacon.
  7. If you do not finish it all in one sitting, store it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.

Archived