Bengals bars in chicago

Ben

Any of you chicago guys heard of these places?

City Location Comments
CHICAGO The Tin Lizzie Very unassuming place, usually not too crowded at all, great bartenders, they play Bengals games on every single TV they have if it's not too crowded. Oh yeah, everything is 2 dollars on Sundays. (submitted by Brad Osky)
Durkin's
810 W. Diversey Pkwy
(Just west of Halsted on Diversey, in the grey area south of Wrigleyville and north of Lincoln Park) It was a stealers bar that we invaded last year. Sunday ticket and flat screen TV's guarantee all NFL games are shown simultaneously. About 10-15 Bengals fans meet there regularly. Waitresses are attractive, bartenders/managers are friendly. Breakfast/lunch menu is good. I will provide Bengals fight song, Who Dey song, and Welcome to the Jungle. (submitted by Andy Simon of Chicago)

Kendall's
2263 N. Lincoln Ave. The Road to Detroit begins at Kendall's. The Chicago Bengals Nation (currently 30 "super fans" deep) will be watching games at Kendall's on Lincoln Ave. A deal has been struck with ownership and based on fan turnout Bengaldom may have finally found a permanent Chicago home (with flag flying high). Who Dey! (submitted by Greg Dietz of Chicago)

From what i'm reading, this looks like a good place. I just need to get there early

[url="http://www.kincadesbar.com/kendalls/home.asp"]http://www.kincadesbar.com/kendalls/home.asp[/url]

also found this:

[quote]Cincinnati Bengals — Gregg Weinstein, general manager at Kendall’s (2263 N. Lincoln), told me how a couple of Bengals fans looking for a place to watch the game quickly built a grassroots organization and turned this sports bar into the official Chicago home for Bengal backers almost overnight.

“Last year, about three or four guys showed up one Wednesday night and asked me if I would put the Bengals game on one of the back TVs that Sunday,” Weinstein says. “So I did, and then the following week 20 more people showed up, then 40 the next week. They asked me to get a bus and sponsor a trip to the Bears-Bengals game, and 200 people showed up for the bus trip at 8:00 in the morning, before I’m even allowed to open. There were people coming in from out of town and staying in hotels looking to party here in Lincoln Park before taking the bus to Soldier Field. We filled up four buses. You should see it. It’s so big now, its mayhem.”

Much like Boston Red Sox fans have Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline,” Bengals fans have a song (two actually) near and dear to their hearts, “Welcome to the Jungle” by Guns n’ Roses and Todd Rundgren’s “Bang the Drum All Day.”

“We play those songs for them at least 30 times during a game day. We show the Bears, but if they’re playing at the same time as the Bengals, we show both and put the sound on for all Cincinnati games,” says Weinstein, who also runs Kelsey’s, O’Donovan’s and Kincade’s.[/quote]

[quote name='Ben' post='363231' date='Oct 13 2006, 06:10 PM']that drive sucked and this place is expensive.

/btw, to answer your question, i'm staying in the loop[/quote]

Took my advice on that trip after all, huh? The weather should be nice all weekend (I think), and take my word for it...the drive back will be much better...no northern Indiana I-80 traffic to deal with. In fact, take the skyway if you weren't already - you'll shave about 45 minutes off of your trip.
Have a good time.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='363252' date='Oct 13 2006, 07:13 PM']To hell with Chicago, I'd like to find a decent Bengals bar in Dayton....lol.[/quote]

I just read this article today in the Dayton Daily News.
Talegators looks like a good place to check out...

[quote][size=5][b]Are you ready for some football?[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Sports bars the next best thing to being there[/b][/size]
By Dave Larsen

Staff Writer

Friday, October 13, 2006

Photos from area sports bars

DAYTON — Fall weekends mean one thing for most sports fans: football.

On Saturdays and Sundays, many fans can be found at sports bars and restaurants that offer the NFL Sunday Ticket and ESPN GamePlan packages. There, they can watch all the action of numerous NFL and college games on multiple TV screens.

It's the next best thing to having tickets to the big game.

Some fans come to cheer on regional teams with their fellow supporters. Others follow out-of-market teams whose games aren't televised locally. Then there are Fantasy football "owners" who track the statistical performance of players they've drafted from various real-life teams.

GO! visited a number of Miami Valley sports bars on a recent NFL Game Day to huddle up with fans.

Here's the bar-by-bar play-by-play.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2419 or dlarsen@DaytonDailyNews.com.

[b]Talegators[/b]

"When the Bengals do something, the whole place erupts," said Matt Fowler, general manager of Talegators, a family sports bar at 6270 Far Hills Avenue in Centerville.

Talegators, which boasts 30 TVs and all-you-can-eat chicken wings, is headquarters to the Dayton Bengals Nation. The local fan club, organized via the message boards at Bengals.com, typically has 30 to 50 Cincinnati Bengals backers in front of Talegators' big screen every Sunday.

"What we're doing here is we're building our own little piece of the Jungle," said Jason "Turk" Vangel of Dayton. Vangel, 33, is the president and founder of Dayton Bengals Nation. "We're all here. We're all rooting together, high-fiving. This is our Jungle right here."

Bengals Nation member Jason Arnett comes to Talegators every week with his wife and three young daughters, who sported painted faces and Bengals outfits.

"It's just a great feeling here, everybody cheering with you," said Arnett, 26, of Huber Heights. "It's better than sitting at home on the couch and doing it by yourself."

Despite the Bengals' dominance, Talegators will accommodate fans of any team.

Jerry Farley, a Charlotte, N.C. native who lives in Kettering, watches the Carolina Panthers "religiously" every Sunday at Talegators with his family and other transplanted fans.

"My wife won't let me get the (satellite) dish on top of the roof," Farley said. "She says it's ugly. So this is my only alternative."

[b]Hooters[/b]

Rick Kearns is a Bengals season ticket holder. But when his team is on the road, Kearns and his friends watch the game at Hooters, 6851 Miller Lane in Vandalia.

"We just come in here and drink, hang out with the Hooters Girls and watch the Bengals," said Kearns, 40, of Vandalia. "You can't beat it, especially when we're beating the pissburgh stealers."

Hooters Girls, of course, are the restaurant chain's female waitresses, whose uniform is a black or white tank top and famously short orange running shorts.

"You can't beat it," said Dustin Birchler with a grin. Birchler, 24, of Huber Heights comes in every Sunday to watch Colts games.

"We've done the NFL Sunday Ticket for probably four or five years, and we just started doing the college GamePlan this year," said manager Matt Nash. "It's definitely shown that it helps."

Currently, the Vandalia Hooters has 32 TVs. The restaurant is planning a $35,000 television upgrade to add more than 20 42-inch LCD flat-screen TVs, Nash said.

Jay Phillips of Dayton stopped in at Hooters in search of a sports bar where he can regularly watch Eagles games.

"Last week I went to Cold Beer & Cheeseburgers," said Phillips, 27. "I'm just kind of feeling out different bars seeing what I like best."

Following an out-of-market team can be frustrating, Phillips said, because you can't watch your games at home. Still, he was OK with visiting possible new Eagles nests. "It gives me a chance to try some different food, watch the game and hear the cheers of everyone else."

[b]Fricker's[/b]

John Sopczak of Dayton has his weekly Game Day ritual: "I watch the pre-game at 11 at my house, get ready and then I come up here like 12:30-ish for the 1 o'clock game and then stay all day."

Sopczak, 25, is a Denver Broncos fan. His team wasn't scheduled to kick off that day until 8:15 p.m. More than likely, he would stay for that game as well. "I love football," Sopczak said. "It's my favorite time of the year."

Fricker's, 1818 Woodman Drive, is probably the largest and loudest sports bar that we visited. Of course, the volume was due in part to the Bengals forcing two fumbles in 57 seconds during the fourth quarter against the stealers. When the Bengals scored on each turnover, Guns N' Roses' Welcome to Jungle blared from the jukebox as fans roared, clapped in time and raced around the bar high-fiving one another.

"Anybody can sit at home and cheer by themselves, but just everybody together, it's a great time," said Bengals fan Adam Gilbert, 22, of Dayton.

Fricker's boasts 30 TVs, including a huge screen over the bar. "We get a lot of Bengals, a little bit of Browns and a lot of stealers, so today's a big game," said manager Amber Lewis.

Fricker's also draws large crowds for Ohio State games. "Those are even bigger than the Bengals," Lewis said.

Nicole Schilling, 23, hasn't missed a Green Bay Packers game since moving to Kettering three years ago from Wisconsin. She cheered on her team solo while her friends watched the Bengals.

"It's nice to be around people who enjoy the sport as much as I do," Schilling said. "But it's hard not being home with Green Bay fans."

[b]Elsa's Kettering Sports Grill[/b]

Talk about your potential family drama. pissburgh stealers fan Jake Lorz was seated at the bar next to his father, Jim Lorz of Centerville, a Bengals fan. Two seats down was Jake's wife, Leah Raddish. She's a Cleveland Browns fan, "so that just makes it even worse," said Jake, 26, of Kettering.

Elsa's Kettering Sports Grill, 1216 E. Stroop Road, boasts 45 TVs and welcomes fans of all teams — even fictional ones.

"Every game being played is on in the front room and every game being played is also on in the back room, so we became very popular with Fantasy football players," said owner Jason Hemmert. "They come out and they can follow all their different players on all the different teams from one seat."

University of Dayton students Matt Guzzo and Jimmy Odell, both 21, are "big-time" Fantasy football players.

"The good thing about Fantasy is that I'm not just set on one game," said Odell, of Nashville, Tenn. "I can watch all the games and see where all my players are going."

Elsa's plays host every Sunday to a large group of Tampa Bay Buccaneers fans, who have their own team flags and a reserved TV at the rear of the bar. "I have to come here to watch them, because they're not on TV," said Missy Bauer, 40, a Bucs fan from Kettering.

In addition to the NFL Sunday Ticket, Elsa's offers the ESPN GamePlan with all the Saturday college football games.

"We have a very good (Ohio State) Buckeye crowd that comes in, especially for the road games," Hemmert said.

Andy Swartz comes to Elsa's every Saturday to watch the Buckeyes and every Sunday to follow the Washington Redskins. "I like to come out just to get away from the home for a while and enjoy the atmosphere," said Swartz, 34, of Kettering.

[b]Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar[/b]

Joe Kihm could have watched the Cleveland Browns game at home. He has a satellite dish and the NFL Sunday Ticket. However, he got together with a large group of friends at Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar, 7875 Waynetowne Boulevard in Huber Heights.

"I don't have as much room at my house, so we come here on occasion and watch the game here," said Kihm, 27, of Tipp City. "We came out here to BW3 to watch the game and have our own little Dawg Pound."

The Buffalo Wild Wings in Huber Heights draws lots of Browns, Bengals and stealers supporters, along with some die-hard Titans and Eagles fans. "You name it, we probably have a team represented here," said Joe Newlin, the general manager.

Charles Brosh called Buffalo Wild Wings "the most happening place in town." Brosh, 33, of Englewood, stakes out the same table every week to watch Philadelphia Eagles games and follow his Fantasy football team on multiple screens.

"In Fantasy, you've got players from every other team, so you kind of become a fan of all the different teams to watch your player play," Brosh said.

Buffalo Wild Wings, which has 6 big-screen and 28 small-screen TVs, also offers the ESPN GamePlan on Saturdays.

"People will make an entire day out of it," Newlin said. "They'll stay all the way through the evening."

Patrons in for the long-haul often use designated drivers. "Sometimes what you'll see is the wives drop off the husbands," Newlin said. "The husbands will stay, watch the games while the wives go out shopping or whatever else."

Buffalo Wild Wings' largest crowds are for Ohio State games. "Buckeyes above anything else," Newlin said.

[b]Taggart's Pub[/b]

Cleveland Browns fans are nothing if not realists.

"This is a good place to come and watch your team play and lose," said Duncan Hoskins, 26, of Dayton.

Taggart's Pub, 970 Patterson Road, is home to the Taggart's Pub Browns Club. Its 150 or more annual members gather each week to cheer on the NFL's perennial underdogs.

"The Browns fans here are really passionate," said Bob Beall, 56, of Kettering. "We're long-suffering. We still wear our colors proudly, even though we do these 5-11, 6-10 (seasons). But we know that we're on the way back."

Owners Mike and Heather Taggart, who are brother and sister, are originally from Akron and have always been Browns fans. The team flag flies at the bar's door and signed jerseys hang on the walls.

Taggart's, which has the NFL Ticket and 18 TVs, provides a free buffet of hamburgers, hot dogs and snacks for patrons during Browns games. There's no kitchen, so the food is grilled out back.

"You go to other places, it's a lot of Bengals fans and pissburgh fans and stuff like that," said Dave Kessler, 49, of Kettering. "I grew up in Cleveland and left in '75. I've been here about 15 years and it's nice to have a little place that's all Browns all the time."

Guy Fogle, a veteran local TV news and sports reporter, has been coming to Taggart's for two years to watch Browns games.

"I look at it as more of a big living room when I come here, not so much as a bar," said Fogle of Kettering. "It's just a lot of people sitting around, and we watch the game and we yell and scream at the television, and then everybody leaves and goes home to their families."

Mike Taggart promised to buy a round on the house should the Browns win that day's game against the Baltimore Ravens. Any time the Browns picked up a few yards, the happy fans chanted: "Mike's buying beer! Mike's buying beer!" But they went thirsty, as the Browns lost 15-14.[/quote]

They even have pictures ...

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/content/gen/sharedoh/photos_galleries/sports/sports/101306gofootball.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/content/g...gofootball.html[/url]

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='363256' date='Oct 13 2006, 08:57 PM']Took my advice on that trip after all, huh? The weather should be nice all weekend (I think), and take my word for it...the drive back will be much better...no northern Indiana I-80 traffic to deal with. In fact, take the skyway if you weren't already - you'll shave about 45 minutes off of your trip.
Have a good time.[/quote]

yep. I took the skyway(which is where things got real fucked up). I guess i could have taken a different exit and missed mostof the traffic though. I was following AAA trip ticket since i have no ideawhere anything ishere though.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='363257' date='Oct 13 2006, 08:58 PM']I just read this article today in the Dayton Daily News.
Talegators looks like a good place to check out...
They even have pictures ...

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/content/gen/sharedoh/photos_galleries/sports/sports/101306gofootball.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/content/g...gofootball.html[/url][/quote]

Interesting....I have never heard of Talegators....sounds like a new place. It is a bit of a drive, but I'll have to check it out.

I was at Cadillac Jacks in the Belmont (Smithville Rd) area for the Bengals/Pats games and we were fucking surrounded by Browns fans. I feel forever tainted and 30 I.Q. points dumber for having been exposed to that many Shitstain fans at one time. Those cocksuckers were rubbing in the fact that they were beating the only team in the league worse than them (Raiders) while we lost to a team that has won 3 of the past 5 superbowls. Idiots. I fucking hate Cleveland....and their flammable water.

[quote name='Ben' post='363265' date='Oct 13 2006, 08:29 PM']yep. I took the skyway(which is where things got real fucked up). I guess i could have taken a different exit and missed mostof the traffic though. I was following AAA trip ticket since i have no ideawhere anything ishere though.[/quote]
Trust me when I tell you to NEVER deviate from the suggested directions, assuming it had you feeding onto 90/94. If you get off the skyway early, you'll end up in some dangerous territory. If you've seen National Lampoon's Vacation, the scene in East St. Louis will become very familiar, although I don't know if the Rib Tit is open up here anymore.

O.K. This place was better than any bar i've been to back home. Bar is packed pretty much as soon as they open. Before they game they play Welcome to the jungle. Then after the Bengals TD, the entire bar sang the "Bengals Growl" song.

[quote name='Ben' post='365008' date='Oct 15 2006, 06:12 PM']O.K. This place was better than any bar i've been to back home. Bar is packed pretty much as soon as they open. Before they game they play Welcome to the jungle. Then after the Bengals TD, the entire bar sang the "Bengals Growl" song.[/quote]

Which bar?

Archived