College Basketball

JC

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='368528' date='Oct 21 2006, 03:57 PM']Why in the hell would any coach leave OSU for frggin Kentucky? It's a bit early to be on the crack pipe this morning, itsn't it?

My favs:

Duke
UC
UVa
OSU

...and anyone playing unc[/quote]

Ohio State is just a stepping stone for Thad until he is offered a Major basketball job, don't worry though, he will win you a National Championship before he dumps you

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Storm' post='368500' date='Oct 21 2006, 08:19 AM']I bleed Blue for Kentucky but I also root for Xavier and now will be rooting for my favorite coach Thad Matta who will win a National Championship at OSU before he comes coach for my Wildcats[/quote]

Looks like you`ll be waiting a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time...

[quote][size=5][b]Matta agrees to new contract [/b][/size]
Friday, October 20, 2006
Bob Baptist
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
Matta through the years

Ohio State and Thad Matta have agreed on a new contract that would replace the eightyear, $11.1 million deal the men’s basketball coach signed only 19 months ago.

Athletic director Gene Smith said yesterday that he could not divulge details of the agreement pending its approval by university trustees Nov. 3.

Two weeks ago, before negotiations were complete, Smith said he hoped to not only enhance Matta’s compensation but also extend the length of the coach’s contract, which expires in 2013.

Matta’s current compensation package, averaging approximately $1.4 million a year, ranks second in the Big Ten to that of Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, who makes an average of $2.4 million, according to a survey earlier this year by The Des Moines Register.

Matta, 39, is 46-18 in two seasons at Ohio State and is 148-49 in six years as a coach. The Buckeyes won the Big Ten championship and were a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament last season. Despite losing four starters, they enter this season picked among the nation’s 10 best teams. The recruiting class is ranked second.

A provision in Matta’s contract would have permitted him to renegotiate after this season to put him among the 16 highest-paid coaches in college basketball if Ohio State had finished 16 th or better in either poll or landed a fourth seed or higher in the NCAA Tournament.

[b]Step forward for Oden [/b]

Freshman center Greg Oden had a screw removed from his surgically repaired right wrist, but Matta said the timetable for his return remains uncertain.

"Just because the pin’s out, he’s not back to normal. We still have a ways to go," Matta said.

Oden had surgery June 16 to reattach a torn ligament in the wrist, which he injured in February. The screw was inserted to stabilize bones while the ligament healed.

Matta said recently that he hoped to have Oden in the lineup by Jan. 1.

[b]Tickets available [/b]

Tickets remain for eight of 10 nonconference games in Value City Arena in November and December.

Approximately 1,100 seats in the lower bowl and an unspecified number in the upper bowl are available for three games in the BCA Classic Nov. 10-12 and games against San Francisco on Nov. 20, Valparaiso on Dec. 2, Cleveland State on Dec. 9, Iowa State on Dec. 19 and Coppin State on Dec. 30.

Tickets may be purchased at ohiostatebuckeyes.com or by calling 1-800-GO-BUCKS.

bbaptist@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.buckeyextra.com/?story=dispatch/2006/10/20/20061020-F3-02.html"]http://www.buckeyextra.com/?story=dispatch...1020-F3-02.html[/url]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='368534' date='Oct 21 2006, 05:09 PM']Because it's a better and more-storied program, that's why![/quote]
Are you living in the past? Perhaps?

OSU has the best overall athletic department in the country. When they become nation champs in b-ball (to go with their upcoming football championship :headbang: ) there will be no reason whatsoever to leave and go anywhere. Perhaps that's why Matta signed an 8-year contract extension ;)

[quote name='oldschooler' post='368539' date='Oct 21 2006, 05:24 PM']Looks like you`ll be waiting a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time...

[url="http://www.buckeyextra.com/?story=dispatch/2006/10/20/20061020-F3-02.html"]http://www.buckeyextra.com/?story=dispatch...1020-F3-02.html[/url][/quote]
dammit, I was looking for that article. Should have known you would beat me to it. :lol:

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='368540' date='Oct 21 2006, 10:25 AM']Are you living in the past? Perhaps?

OSU has the best overall athletic department in the country. When they become nation champs in b-ball (to go with their upcoming football championship :headbang: ) there will be no reason whatsoever to leave and go anywhere. Perhaps that's why Matta signed an 8-year contract extension ;)[/quote]
I'm just strictly talking about basketball. Obviously UK doesn't have a football team...in that respect, they are very much like IU and UC....all three football teams stink.
I don't live in the past....UK is consistently good, never misses the tournament, and gets good to great recruits year in and year out. And they won the national title as recently as 1998.
I don't know what Storm's thinking, you guys can keep Matta. I'm a Tubby fan.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='368570' date='Oct 21 2006, 05:52 PM']I'm just strictly talking about basketball. Obviously UK doesn't have a football team...in that respect, they are very much like IU and UC....all three football teams stink.
I don't live in the past....UK is consistently good, never misses the tournament, and gets good to great recruits year in and year out. And they won the national title as recently as 1998.
I don't know what Storm's thinking, you guys can keep Matta. I'm a Tubby fan.[/quote]
Yeah, I don't really know why they would want to get rid of Tubby, either. I think he's a great coach.

and i really have nothing bad at all to say about uk. i just like bustin yer balls. ;)

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='368582' date='Oct 21 2006, 11:05 AM']I like Kelvin Sampson. Take his cell phone away. But Bung, you know that IU will be better prepared now for the IU/[b]Kent game[/b].[/quote]
You're playing the Golden Flashes this year? That's a fitting opponent on your schedule, given your subpar talent and coaching level....

:ninja:

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='368579' date='Oct 21 2006, 11:00 AM']Yeah, I don't really know why they would want to get rid of Tubby, either. I think he's a great coach.

and i really have nothing bad at all to say about uk. i just like bustin yer balls. ;)[/quote]
I enjoy having my balls busted! Daddy wants more!

I think that some of the fans want to yank Tubby because they think he can't recruit like Pitino, can't run an offense like Pitino, wear his hair like Pitino, etc, etc....

Check UK's freshmen class this season AND next....we're going to be dope, I tell ya. And pay no attention to that IU guy....he's still whacking off to his Bobby Knight strangulation videos....
:lol:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='368596' date='Oct 21 2006, 06:17 PM']I enjoy having my balls busted! Daddy wants more!

I think that some of the fans want to yank Tubby because they think he can't recruit like Pitino, can't run an offense like Pitino, wear his hair like Pitino, etc, etc....

Check UK's freshmen class this season AND next....we're going to be dope, I tell ya. And pay no attention to that IU guy....he's still whacking off to his Bobby Knight strangulation videos....
:lol:[/quote]
:lol:

Guest IndianaBengal

[quote]BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- It has been 37 years since a player from Kentucky played basketball at Indiana University.

Versatile player: Bud Mackey of Scott County (Ky.) High School plays both guard positions. [size=5][color="#FF0000"]He was heavily recruited by top programs.[/color] [/size] - CHARLES BERTRAM / Lexington Herald-Leader

Bud Mackey, however, is ready to buck the trend. The 6-4, 180-pound combo guard from Scott County High School in Georgetown, Ky., is Indiana's first oral commitment for the Class of 2008.
Mackey, a 17-year-old high school junior, said he chose the Hoosiers late Thursday after receiving scholarship offers from [size=5][color="#3333FF"]Kentucky[/color][/size] :lmao: , Florida, Tennessee, Xavier, Clemson, Miami (Fla.) and Mississippi State. He had visited Mississippi State and Louisville.
[size=4] [color="#FF0000"]"I attended Midnight Madness at Indiana and when I was going home, I told myself that there was no doubt that was where I wanted to play,'' Mackey said. "I've been to Midnight Madness at Kentucky and it was nothing like Indiana. That was unbelievable.'' [/color] [/size]The last player from Kentucky to play basketball at IU even predates Bob Knight as the IU coach. Tom Boone, a 5-10 guard from Flaget High School in Louisville, played for the Hoosiers in 1970. Only one other Kentucky player has played at IU since 1956: Covington's Al Harden, 1963-65.
Mackey averaged 15 points per game in the regular season last year for Scott County and approximately 20 points per game in the state playoffs. He attended one of IU's elite camps this summer and received an offer from the Hoosiers shortly thereafter.
Mackey plays both point guard and shooting guard. He won't be able to sign a letter-of-intent until November 2007.
IU coaches are not allowed to comment about Mackey until he signs a letter of intent.[/quote]

How the times are changin'.

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='368604' date='Oct 21 2006, 11:31 AM']How the times are changin'.[/quote]
I want IU to get better. I want every school in the tristate to be good, so our region can dominate the country.
I've been to a UK Midnight Madness....I find it hard to believe that anyone would depict it so inferior to another school's Madness celebration. Ah well.
My biggest beef with UK is the old people in Rupp Arena that have had season tickets for decades and never clap, cheer, stand up or anything. Rupp needs a crazier atmosphere, it's too staid and stuffy at times.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='368610' date='Oct 21 2006, 06:42 PM']I want IU to get better. I want every school in the tristate to be good, so our region can dominate the country.
I've been to a UK Midnight Madness....I find it hard to believe that anyone would depict it so inferior to another school's Madness celebration. Ah well.
My biggest beef with UK is the old people in Rupp Arena that have had season tickets for decades and never clap, cheer, stand up or anything. Rupp needs a crazier atmosphere, it's too staid and stuffy at times.[/quote]
There is nothing worse than a quiet crowd, even in a packed house. Football at UVa was like that. Plenty of butts in the stands, but no one watching, or more importantly, SCREAMING. Drove me friggin crazy...

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='368579' date='Oct 21 2006, 05:00 PM']Yeah, I don't really know why they would want to get rid of Tubby, either. I think he's a great coach.

and i really have nothing bad at all to say about uk. i just like bustin yer balls. ;)[/quote]

Tubby is a great coach, unfortunetly his assistants suck at recruiting and if he doesn't correct it soon he's not going to be around much longer.

and Oldschool, not sure but I don't think signing a long contract stops prevents from leaving in college, i'm sure there are buyouts or some other clauses in there

[quote name='steggyD' post='368685' date='Oct 21 2006, 04:51 PM']Wildcats, although I feel as confident about their season as I do for the Bengals right now.[/quote]
[size=6][color="#3333FF"]TUBBY SAYS:[/color][/size]

[img]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2577/asmithtubbyaction1po4.jpg[/img]

[color="#3333FF"][size=6]OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!!![/size][/color]

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Storm' post='368650' date='Oct 21 2006, 04:33 PM']and Oldschool, not sure but I don't think signing a long contract stops prevents from leaving in college, i'm sure there are buyouts or some other clauses in there[/quote]

Storm, quit dreaming.

Ohio State is taking care of Thad already and he hasn`t won shit yet.
They`re not going to just let him walk away, without a fight.
He has it in his contract where he can renegotiate and be paid like
one of the top coaches, depending on how his team finishes.
I really don`t know why he would want to leave a place
where he is building the foundation. And being able to do it his way.

Why the hell would he want to coach in Kentucky anyway ?
He isn`t going to be able to recruit any better there., than he will at Ohio State.
He isn`t going to make any more money there, than he will at Ohio State.
And he would have more pressure on him there, than he does at Ohio State.

Like I said, quit dreaming...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='Storm' post='368500' date='Oct 21 2006, 09:19 AM']I bleed Blue for Kentucky but I also root for Xavier and now will be rooting for my favorite coach Thad Matta who will win a National Championship at OSU before he comes coach for my Wildcats[/quote]
that woudl be the downfall of UK LOL. Thad Matta is going to be busted for paying players soon. Just wait, i know from a couple of personal stories. He will get busted, Huggins is lucky he didnt get busted at UC.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='368534' date='Oct 21 2006, 12:09 PM']Because it's a better and more-storied program, that's why![/quote]
agreed.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='368540' date='Oct 21 2006, 12:25 PM']Are you living in the past? Perhaps?

OSU has the best overall athletic department in the country. When they become nation champs in b-ball (to go with their upcoming football championship :headbang: ) there will be no reason whatsoever to leave and go anywhere. Perhaps that's why Matta signed an 8-year contract extension ;)[/quote]
OSU isnt the top athletic department in the country lol. Top 5 yes, but not top. Their bball has been a joke for a long time except for a couple of decent years. They have a good football, but all around they arent that great, def. not top department.

Archived