rich aurilla signed ?!?

Guest bengalrick

Guest bengalrick
[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5523&context=batting"]rich aurilia[/url]

[url="http://www.lance1360homer.com/blog.asp"]lance's blog...[/url]

Confirmed on the Reds website. SWEET. Maybee Obrien isnt so bad after all (scewed Barry) ...now I can scratch his name of the kill list. ;)

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/news/cin_news.jsp?ymd=20050124&content_id=933766&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...s_cin&fext=.jsp[/url]

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='whodey319' date='Jan 24 2005, 06:33 PM']is aurilla still any good?
[right][post="38771"][/post][/right][/quote]

We'll see, it's obvious he has huge potential though ;)

Before they went on their off season spending spree, I was planning on boycotting the Reds completely this year, since all they have done is turn themselves (and our city) into a complete laughingstock and ruined the tradition of baseball in Cincinnati. Now, thank god/Uncle Carl, we have a team again. I can once again feel good and wallow in pride inside the MAchine Room, or in the left field bleachers!! Now, if only they would lower beer prices...

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='big_dish' date='Jan 24 2005, 06:44 PM']Before they went on their off season spending spree, I was planning on boycotting the Reds completely this year, since all they have done is turn themselves (and our city) into a complete laughingstock and ruined the tradition of baseball in Cincinnati. Now, thank god/Uncle Carl, we have a team again. I can once again feel good and wallow in pride inside the MAchine Room, or in the left field bleachers!! Now, if only they would lower beer prices...
[right][post="38775"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Can't forget to thank Obrian!

[quote name='Jason' date='Jan 25 2005, 12:24 AM']One more retread.  He was good a few years ago.
[right][post="38784"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'm not sure he is a retread yet. According to the info put out on him, he is 33 years old, not sure if that is right. He played well in SF and was really only surrounded by Bonds. He was in a power slot, He'll probably hit 6th or 7th on this team. If nothing else, he gives them some flexibility and competition for Lopez. Good look see sign.

At the very least he adds veteran defensive depth at a position that was a HUGE question mark coming into next season.
I think he'll end up being one of those guys that can rekindle the kind of numbers he had in 2000 (01?) if he's in the right situation. Perhaps that's with the Reds...
Welcome aboard, Rich...

Me too. I think they have gone out and added some quality pitching and increased our bench strength with infield depth. We can only be better than last year.
I hope Danny Graves never closes again, though. Maybe Valentine can steal his spot...just a thought...

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='~mroby30~' date='Jan 25 2005, 05:07 PM']I think he was a great idea, obviously has the potential, he was hitting in front of barry bonds, but if griffey stays healthy which is a big if, is comprable.
[right][post="39279"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

yeah, that brings me to two questions... where does he normally hit in the lineup? and who the hell is our lead off man, unless freel beats out jimenez?

i like casey in that three hole and griffey at cleanup...

about aurillia, o'brien said that he had a fractured wrist most of last year, hence the shitty numbers... i look for him to break out this year, in the hitter friendly park of great american...

btw, some more good news about aurillia, he had the same fielding percentage as barry larkin last year, and barry had a GREAT year on defense... our defensive problems that i saw us having this year, are completely gone barring injury... randa at third, aurillia at ss, jimenez/freel at second (either are good enough), casey at first... w/ griffey, pena/kearns, and dunn in the outfield... besides pena, we are extremely strong defensively... even pena has a CANNON of an arm...

this should be a fun year, if the pitching can hold up...

Guest BengalBacker
He hit 37 home runs in 2002.

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI — Rich Aurilia took one look at the black hole at shortstop for the Cincinnati Reds and decided, "Cincinnati is the place for me."

General manager Dan O'Brien took one look at Aurilia's resume and decided, "This is the kind of guy we want on the Reds."

Deed done.

Aurilia, 33, agreed to a minor-league contract with an invitation to the major-league camp and he looks at it as an invitation to win the shortstop job away from Felipe Lopez.

What grabbed O'Brien's attention most was that Aurilia has played in 25 postseason games.

"For a number of years, Aurilia was right in the middle of things during San Francisco's playoff years (2000, 2002, 2003)," O'Brien said.

Does that mean O'Brien is shooting for 2005 postseason play?

"I don't know that I can unequivocally say that, but we are bringing in guys with that experience," he said. "From Ramon Ortiz to Eric Milton to David Weathers to Ben Weber to Aurilia, they all have playoff experience and some are wearing World Series rings.

"What we want to do is instill in the clubhouse what it takes to win," he added. "We haven't had that. First things first, though, we have to redevelop a winning attitude and approach on the field and in the clubhouse."

O'Brien was quick to say that Aurilia and Lopez are in contention for the starting shortstop job and that if Lopez wins Aurilia can back-up at shortstop and third base, where he played mostly last season in Seattle.

"We told Lopez at the end of last season that we liked what he did and he will be given every opportunity to win the job, but there are no guarantee," said O'Brien.

Aurilia is coming in with an attitude that the job is his.

"I'm not ready for a utility role," he said. "I signed with Cincinnati because I sensed the opportunity to battle for a starting job. The team has a great lineup, a great hitter's ballpark and has greatly improved its pitching."

Aurilia is a .277 career hitter with 130 homers and 501 RBI in nine major-league seasons with San Francisco, Seattle and San Diego. He was an All-Star in 2002 and was the first player since Cincinnati's Dave Concepcion to lead National League shortstops in homers and RBI three straight years (1999-2001). In 2002, he hit 37 homers and drove in 97.

Aurilia's foray into the American League last year with Seattle was a flop, mainly because he was hit by a pitch in May on the left wrist. X-rays were negative and he continued to play in pain for three weeks when it was discovered he had a hairline fracture.

Aurilia played 73 games and hit .241 with four homers and 28 RBI, then said goodbye to the American League. He was traded to the Padres on July 19, where he hit .254 with two homers and 16 RBI in 51 games. Despite a career as a shortstop, Aurilia played mostly third base and some first and second base for the Padres.

"Nobody is comfortable being labeled a utility player and my goal is to compete and to win the shortstop job for the Reds," he said.

As O'Brien put it, "Our assistant general manager, Sean Casey, helped recruit Aurilia with a telephone call."

Said Aurilia, "Sean is one of the great guys in the game, one of my favorite people. To have him call and tell me the team wants me and that I would fit right in with a bunch of great guys in the clubhouse meant a lot. I know from playing against them they are great guys and play hard."

Although the Reds have actively pursued Aurilia since November, the plan was to have Lopez and Anderson Machado compete for shortstop. Machado, though, injured a ligament in his knee playing winter ball in Venezuela. While visa problems have prevented the Reds from examining him, there are reports the injury is serious enough to knock Machado out for most of the season.

And there is other bad knees.

Non-roster pitcher Brian Rose, expected to compete for a roster spot, was jogging near his Massachusetts home, slipped on ice and tore a deltoid ligament in his ankle.

Surgery was performed and two screws were affixed to the ligament, knocking him out of contention. Rose was 10-3 with a 3.30 ERA in 18 starts at Class AA Chattanooga and was a Southern League All-Star, then was 3-2 with a 3.31 ERA in six starts at Class AAA Louisville.

Archived