Larkin leaning towards Retirement

Jamie_B

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/news/cin_news.jsp?ymd=20050125&content_id=934576&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...s_cin&fext=.jsp[/url]

I hope he does, I dont want to see him in any other uniform but the Reds one.

He is getting old, but last year he didnt have too bad of a season. I wanted him to come back for just one more year. I dont want to see him in any other uniform either. A couple of years ago though, I would have been glad to see him gone.

I am personally stunned that the reds don't have any more loyalty that this to the captain thats been there for 19 years. The only reason the front office and him have had trouble over the years every now and then is because he wants to win, and they don't care. I think its ridiculous to not bring him back next season, they want to say he's washed up, but he made the all-star team just last season. I think its a very poor choice on the reds part, and i think it sends a bad signal to the rest of the league about coming to Cincinnati, but thats just my opinion, and i don't even think larkin is that great, thats not my point, its about the principal of the whole thing.

[quote name='~mroby30~' date='Jan 29 2005, 12:53 PM']I am personally stunned that the reds don't have any more loyalty that this to the captain thats been there for 19 years. The only reason the front office and him have had trouble over the years every now and then is because he wants to win, and they don't care. I think its ridiculous to not bring him back next season, they want to say he's washed up, but he made the all-star team just last season.  I think its a very poor choice on the reds part, and i think it sends a bad signal to the rest of the league about coming to Cincinnati,  but thats just my opinion, and i don't even think larkin is that great, thats not my point, its about the principal of the whole thing.
[right][post="40602"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

IT IS HIS EGO THAT IS THE PROBLEM.
The All-Star nomination occured as a result of a "Hey, let's give the old guy a nice send-off" type feelings because Larkin was [i]retiring[/i], remember?
Oh, wait, no he isn't...
Larkin was a great player but his pride gets in his own way.
He is also something of a prima-donna.
The team managership wants to win. Didn't the offseason moves so far make you go...."Cool!"?

Show me the off-seasons from when barry was there!

this isn't helping barry, i want larkin back, and i think you're way off on this one, the reason he was on the all-star team was because he was one of the best shortstops in the national league last year, if you don't believe me go look at stats.

[quote name='~mroby30~' date='Jan 29 2005, 02:53 PM']I am personally stunned that the reds don't have any more loyalty that this to the captain thats been there for 19 years. The only reason the front office and him have had trouble over the years every now and then is because he wants to win, and they don't care. I think its ridiculous to not bring him back next season, they want to say he's washed up, but he made the all-star team just last season.  I think its a very poor choice on the reds part, and i think it sends a bad signal to the rest of the league about coming to Cincinnati, 
[right][post="40602"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[b][u][color="red"]AMEN!!!!!!![/color][/u][/b]

[quote name='~mroby30~' date='Jan 29 2005, 01:52 PM']Show me the off-seasons from when barry was there!

this isn't helping barry, i want larkin back, and i think you're way off on this one, the reason he was on the all-star team was because he was one of the best shortstops in the national league last year, if you don't believe me go look at stats.
[right][post="40617"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
His defense was less than stellar, because his mobility isn't what it once was, and he hit well...[i]in the games he played in![/i]
He played every other game, like the 2 years before, because the mind is willing but the body is weak. He gets hurt so much now!
I am not anti-Barry but I do think he should have stuck with his original plan of retiring as a Reds legend at the end of last season.

He's not washed up. He's just not capable of producing at a high level for a complete season. You can't fault the Reds for wanting a guy to play SS on a regular basis.......Lark just can't cut it anymore!!!
We need a solid presence at SS and Aurilla gives us that.
You're crazy to believe otherwise.....

Guest 34inXXIII
[quote name='Bunghole' date='Feb 5 2005, 02:38 AM']We need a solid presence at SS and Aurilla gives us that.
You're  crazy to believe otherwise.....[/quote]

Alright, I'm crazy.

Rich Aurilia?

Seriously?

The Reds let go of Larkin - a career Red who was the team's captain and won an MVP and a World Series with the franchise - because they need the "solid presence" of Rich Aurilia?!? He's so solid that they signed him to a minor league contract with a chance to join the team when they break from spring training.

Now I'll gladly admit that I am biased towards Larkin, my favorite player of all time, but I can at least understand the argument against keeping him as the full-time starter at SS, if at all. But Rich Aurilia? Defending him over Larkin for any reason other than age is, well, crazy.

Archived