(Michael) Irvin's racial remarks no joking matter

Jason

Link: [url="http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16118477.htm"]http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16118477.htm[/url]

Those who ever get in front of a microphone should be smart enough to stay away from racial stereotyping, even if something is said supposedly in jest.

Whether the person thinks he or she is being funny isn't the point. Race is a serious subject and no matter how lighthearted a remark, it is bound to offend a certain segment of viewers or listeners.

With that as a backdrop, we present the latest questionable bit of taste used by former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver and current ESPN analyst Michael Irvin.

[b]In speaking last week on ESPN Radio's The Dan Patrick Show, Irvin, who is African American, began giving a description of Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, who is white.

"Romo doesn't look like that type of athlete," Irvin said. "But he is - I don't know - there's some brother down in that line somewhere - [maybe] his great-great-great-grandma ran over in the hood or something went down."[/b]

And if Irvin didn't bury himself enough with that comment, he sank deeper when Patrick asked if that was the only way Romo could be a great athlete.

[b]"That's not the only way, but it's certainly one way," Irvin said. "[Maybe] his great-great-great-great-great-great-grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn [and said], 'Come on in here for a second.' "[/b]

[b]Others have lost their jobs for racial stereotyping.

In 1988, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder was fired as a contributor to The NFL Today on CBS after telling a reporter that African Americans were naturally superior athletes because they had been bred to produce stronger offspring during slavery. Snyder wasn't trying to be funny during the interview.

Meanwhile, Irvin - who was laughing when he made his remarks - has gotten off apparently with a light slap on the wrist.[/b]

"Generalizations about heritage are inappropriate even in jest, and what Michael said was wrong," ESPN spokeswoman Diane Lamb said. "We have spoken to Michael about it."

The Inquirer requested an interview with Irvin, but ESPN decided to play his comments about the situation from Monday's The Dan Patrick Show.

When asked if Irvin has or will be disciplined, Lamb said the matter was closed.

Irvin was contrite in discussing his remarks. "I do want to apologize for those comments," Irvin said.

Then Irvin tried to give the rationale behind his comments.

"My whole thing is that I try to give people a firsthand knowledge what it's like in the locker room and how we as players joke around with other players. That is how I joke with Romo when we play basketball."

There is a lot said in the locker rooms that could never make it on the cutting table in television or radio. And just because it is said in locker rooms doesn't make it right.

Irvin was joking when he made the original comments and contrite afterward when talking to Patrick on Monday.

"I certainly have to know when to draw the line, and I needed to draw the line and I apologize for that," Irvin said.

While anybody can make a mistake, this lapse of judgment would be serious enough to warrant at the least a suspension and at the most dismissal, especially in these politically correct times.

If nothing more happens to Irvin, he should consider himself very fortunate. On the other hand, there will be a segment of viewers who will perceive ESPN to be lacking backbone in not disciplining Irvin for comments that were degrading and offensive despite being said in jest.

What Irvin said is wrong, but he's such a crackhead buffoon in a suit that it hardly seems to matter.
Comparing this stupid statment that was an attempt at humor in no way compares to the Michael Richards racial tirade that had some deep-seated anger behind it (and most likely, drugs of the white powder variety).

Hmmm....the common thread here is....cocaine?

Where the white bitches at?

Who let the purple guy in here?

I hate you purple bastards. 50 years ago Barney the Dinosaur would have been hanging upside
down from a tree with a lollipop up his ass !!!!!

violet scum !!! lavender pieces of shit !!!!

I hate them all !!!! magenta motherfuckers !!!!

:rant:

[quote name='ONYX' post='402323' date='Dec 6 2006, 10:12 PM']Who let the purple guy in here?

I hate you purple bastards. 50 years ago Barney the Dinosaur would have been hanging upside

:rant:[/quote]
You know that somewhere along the way in the family tree, Gramma called out a purple man from the loft in the barn and laid with him, breeding a line of super-athletic purple people that....oh, nevermind.

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='sneaky' post='402323' date='Dec 6 2006, 10:12 PM']Who let the purple guy in here?

You're gettin' all the mileage you can out of that post of the year award, aren't you?

^_^

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='402325' date='Dec 6 2006, 10:16 PM']You're gettin' all the mileage you can out of that post of the year award, aren't you?
^_^[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Jason' post='396040' date='Nov 29 2006, 08:32 AM']Link: [url="http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16118477.htm"]http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16118477.htm[/url]

Those who ever get in front of a microphone should be smart enough to stay away from racial stereotyping, even if something is said supposedly in jest.

Whether the person thinks he or she is being funny isn't the point. Race is a serious subject and no matter how lighthearted a remark, it is bound to offend a certain segment of viewers or listeners.

With that as a backdrop, we present the latest questionable bit of taste used by former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver and current ESPN analyst Michael Irvin.

[b]In speaking last week on ESPN Radio's The Dan Patrick Show, Irvin, who is African American, began giving a description of Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, who is white.

"Romo doesn't look like that type of athlete," Irvin said. "But he is - I don't know - there's some brother down in that line somewhere - [maybe] his great-great-great-grandma ran over in the hood or something went down."[/b]

And if Irvin didn't bury himself enough with that comment, he sank deeper when Patrick asked if that was the only way Romo could be a great athlete.

[b]"That's not the only way, but it's certainly one way," Irvin said. "[Maybe] his great-great-great-great-great-great-grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn [and said], 'Come on in here for a second.' "[/b]

[b]Others have lost their jobs for racial stereotyping.

In 1988, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder was fired as a contributor to The NFL Today on CBS after telling a reporter that African Americans were naturally superior athletes because they had been bred to produce stronger offspring during slavery. Snyder wasn't trying to be funny during the interview.

Meanwhile, Irvin - who was laughing when he made his remarks - has gotten off apparently with a light slap on the wrist.[/b]

"Generalizations about heritage are inappropriate even in jest, and what Michael said was wrong," ESPN spokeswoman Diane Lamb said. "We have spoken to Michael about it."

The Inquirer requested an interview with Irvin, but ESPN decided to play his comments about the situation from Monday's The Dan Patrick Show.

When asked if Irvin has or will be disciplined, Lamb said the matter was closed.

Irvin was contrite in discussing his remarks. "I do want to apologize for those comments," Irvin said.

Then Irvin tried to give the rationale behind his comments.

"My whole thing is that I try to give people a firsthand knowledge what it's like in the locker room and how we as players joke around with other players. That is how I joke with Romo when we play basketball."

There is a lot said in the locker rooms that could never make it on the cutting table in television or radio. And just because it is said in locker rooms doesn't make it right.

Irvin was joking when he made the original comments and contrite afterward when talking to Patrick on Monday.

"I certainly have to know when to draw the line, and I needed to draw the line and I apologize for that," Irvin said.

While anybody can make a mistake, this lapse of judgment would be serious enough to warrant at the least a suspension and at the most dismissal, especially in these politically correct times.

If nothing more happens to Irvin, he should consider himself very fortunate. On the other hand, there will be a segment of viewers who will perceive ESPN to be lacking backbone in not disciplining Irvin for comments that were degrading and offensive despite being said in jest.[/quote]

I'm sure some gangster will kill him sooner or later. The Jesse Jackson boycott of Seinfeld product's has actually increased there sales. Kinda ocward.

[quote name='sneaky' post='402323' date='Dec 6 2006, 10:12 PM']Who let the purple guy in here?

Yeah, good one.

I thought I might be able to be reasonable when I came here. Obviously that isn't the case.

[quote name='Purple Predator' post='402831' date='Dec 7 2006, 06:54 PM']Yeah, good one.

I thought I might be able to be reasonable when I came here. Obviously that isn't the case.[/quote]

everyone alive has stereotyped members of different ethnicity hell even used a racial slurr or two... Michael Irvin was simply joking with DP and it was blown out of proportion.

Guest Coy Bacon
[quote name='Purple Predator' post='402831' date='Dec 7 2006, 06:54 PM']Yeah, good one.

I thought I might be able to be reasonable when I came here. Obviously that isn't the case.[/quote]

Your kind ain't welcome around here, purple scum. Better get outa here before you find yourself hangin' upside down with a fork up your ass.

Archived