OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1323569668' post='1072872']

I heard that as well. But BDB........Why no pressure? Couldn't they make them eat up some seconds in the back court with a little pressure? Not dogging Cal as I said....he has forgotten more than I know. I'm just questioning the decision not to put any pressure on them. Might have been easier to get a foul called too.

Also....where was T.Jones tonight?
[/quote]
I agree they should of pressured. My only guess to the reason they did not is if IU broke the full court press they would of had an easy basket. They had not run any full court press the whole game and I guess Cal was just not comfortable running it.

T Jones really hurt them tonight. I have seen him have bad games and play better than tonight. He looked like he just did not care.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1323570408' post='1072873']
I agree they should of pressured. My only guess to the reason they did not is if IU broke the full court press they would of had an easy basket. They had not run any full court press the whole game and I guess Cal was just not comfortable running it.

T Jones really hurt them tonight. I have seen him have bad games and play better than tonight. He looked like he just did not care.
[/quote]

Cal said TJ just had a bad night. Like you, I've seen him have them before,but not like this. He was just going thru the motions.

Bottom line is BDB.........if they hit their free throws, none of it matters anyway. But they didn't and IU took advantage of it. Credit to them. I just hate losing games that way. Oh well,maybe the Bengals can bring a happy ending to the weekend tomorrow.

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1323570871' post='1072874']

Cal said TJ just had a bad night. Like you, I've seen him have them before,but not like this. He was just going thru the motions.

Bottom line is BDB.........if they hit their free throws, none of it matters anyway. But they didn't and IU took advantage of it. Credit to them. I just hate losing games that way. Oh well,maybe the Bengals can bring a happy ending to the weekend tomorrow.
[/quote]
Cal's teams have always been bad at shooting free throws throughout his coaching career. He really needs to bring someone in or reevaluate his philosophy. This team has all the ability to win the whole thing and you just can't let something as simple as free throws beat you.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1327813031' post='1092793']
Nobody talking about these cats? They're damn good! Jones played hard today, didn't he? That will help us go far. And damn LSU for trying to take out Davis a bunch of times in that game!
[/quote]

If Jones keeps his head on straight, it's just going to make them that much better. Maybe the reality of the situation is hitting him that he better pick it up a notch. Not only for his team, but also his draft status. The way this team plays defense, sky's the limit. Tough part of the SEC schedule coming up Vandy twice, Florida twice, @ Miss.St will be a war. I would not be shocked if they lost a couple of those. Teams are 15-20 points better when UK rolls in. They get everybodys best shot. Even with another loss or 2, I don't see any way they won't be a number 1 seed.

I told my Wife that LSU reminded me of the Stealers the way they were taking cheap shots at Davis. That seems to be the strategy teams are going to use......be as physical with him as they can and hope it deters him. Hasn't worked very well yet....lol.

I just hope they aren't peaking too early. But usually teams that play defense as well as they do, won't have that problem. If you can defend and the effort is there, the rest will take care of itself. You never know what might happen on the road, but I can't see anyone beating them on a neutral floor right now.

• 2 weeks later...
IMO, it's their tournament to lose. Which makes me nervous as anything can and does happen in the NCAA. But they got the buzzsaw look about them like the champion 90 UK teams had.

At somepoint do you hope they drop a game or two between now and the start of NCAA? To win it all it would be one hell of winning streak.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1329840318' post='1097854']
IMO, it's their tournament to lose. Which makes me nervous as anything can and does happen in the NCAA. But they got the buzzsaw look about them like the champion 90 UK teams had.

At somepoint do you hope they drop a game or two between now and the start of NCAA? To win it all it would be one hell of winning streak.
[/quote]

Funny you should mention that. Just the other day I was remembering what a run the '96 team went on. They dropped the finals of the SEC Tourney to Mississippi St. and went on to win the National Title. I remember Pitino saying that loss caused them to re-focus and showed them they were not invincible. The worse thing that can happen to a team as talented as this years team is to get complacent. Coming out with less than your best effort and the other team having "one of those nights" is a dangerous combination. I hate to see them lose at anytime, but in the big picture, it might not be a bad thing. I've heard people say, you don't need a loss. Lessons can be learned while winning. Not sure how much of that I agree with.

Damn scharm......maybe I was wrong. Maybe they learned a valuable lesson tonight while surviving. All of the ingredients were there for the upset. They just came out in the second half and imposed their will on State. This team is special and I'm enjoying the ride.

Turning point IMO was when Cal put Gilchrist on Bost.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1330045469' post='1098574']
[b]Why is there a thread on here about Kansas University?[/b]

BTW the real team in the country, Notre Dame just won their 9th straight last night and is the only team to beat Syracuse this year.

:gamer:
[/quote]
Kansas goes by KU.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1330045469' post='1098574']
Why is there a thread on here about Kansas University?

BTW the real team in the country, Notre Dame just won their 9th straight last night and is the only team to beat Syracuse this year.

:gamer:
[/quote]

Is that the same Notre Dame team that lost to St. Johns today Lew?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1331327421' post='1103973']
I usually enjoy the SEC Tournament but this year it just seems like an annoyance. It seems like a couple games to get someone hurt and for annoucers to make more of a close game so they can come up with ways UK can get beat.
[/quote]

Exactly right. You just knew they were going to come out flat today and play far less than their best. They have their eyes on a bigger prize and they played like it today. As you said scharm......I just hope they get through it without a key injury. That would be a shame.