OFFICIAL UK BASKETBALL THREAD!!!!!!!

Bunghole

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1332797424' post='1112314']
I think Pitino will play a lot of zone. I look for the zone to sag into the lane to try to stop penetration and not give up the lob. If UK can hit a decent % from outside and loosen up the zone, Louisville could be in for a long night. I don't see Louisville being able to play man to man for long stretches of time. Maybe when Kuric is out of the game. I look for a similar gameplan used against Mich. St. In that game they slowed the tempo and shaded Draymond Green. I don't know if that strategy will work in this one as UK has so many options and can play any style. IMO Louisvilles only chance is if UK is ice cold from outside or gets in early foul trouble. I don't see it happening.
[/quote]
Agreed. Louisville is tough on D. If they play the zone and try to shut down on Davis too hard, I see us getting a lot of decent outside looks. Our guys need to be ready to shoot. This game is about to be CRAZY. I get down to NOLA Friday. Gonna check out the city, interact with some friends I know are gonna be there. Got people from UK, UL, and OSU that I plan on seeing there. Should be a fun time. I'd like for us to destroy Louisville, then take out OSU just so we can smack the shit out of them. I hate that school so much lol.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1332831942' post='1112428']
Agreed. Louisville is tough on D. If they play the zone and try to shut down on Davis too hard, I see us getting a lot of decent outside looks. Our guys need to be ready to shoot. This game is about to be CRAZY. I get down to NOLA Friday. Gonna check out the city, interact with some friends I know are gonna be there. Got people from UK, UL, and OSU that I plan on seeing there. Should be a fun time. I'd like for us to destroy Louisville, then take out OSU just so we can smack the shit out of them. I hate that school so much lol.
[/quote]

I can see a bunch of UK and UL fans on Bourbon St. mixing like oil & water....lol

Be careful BAB.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1332796176' post='1112310']
I think the UL fans that say it are the ones playing with house money. If you are truly wanting a National Championship then playing UK would naturally be your last option given the season they are having.

I really don't buy into the pressure that us supposedly on Cal. He's got an elite 8, two final fours and will have another recruiting class that will most likely get him in the mix again. It's Cal's the best opportunity to crush Pitino. I just don't see Rick recovering from a final 4 loss to UK and 4th straight loss to Cal and UK.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. I'm glad the match up is happening as this really the ultimate climax since Cal set foot in Lexington. There's so many story lines. Rick beating Cal's but with his 1996 UK team. Now Cal has a team that could rival that team. Then their history in C-USA.

I think this one is going to be close no matter what.
[/quote]
You really think UK is going to be FF good next year? Doesn't seem like they're getting their typical badass recruiting class they usually get and will probably be losing probably at least 4 guys.

This game should be good though. Both games should be, but you know Pitino is going to have his boys ready to try and beat UK. I think it's going to come down to the last few minutes. It won't be a Baylor blowout.

One thing about the outside shooting. They're playing in New Orleans, raised floor. Harder to shoot the 3's like that. From what I remember in the SEC tourney, UK didn't shoot so well from the 3. Maybe I just remember wrong ... I think this favors us though; when Louisvill last played in a dome on a raised floor this year, they shot something like 3 of 24 from the 3. We win if the 3's are low, from our in the paint plus free throw game.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1332903740' post='1112900']
You really think UK is going to be FF good next year? Doesn't seem like they're getting their typical badass recruiting class they usually get and will probably be losing probably at least 4 guys.

This game should be good though. Both games should be, but you know Pitino is going to have his boys ready to try and beat UK. I think it's going to come down to the last few minutes. It won't be a Baylor blowout.[/quote]
UK has a potential to be stacked next year. They have an excellent chance at landing the top two recruits in Nerlens Noel and Shabazz Muhammad and Anthony Bennett who is in the top 10. They already have 3 in the top 40 coming in. Ryan Harrow will be eligable next year and they are trying to bring in Alex Oriakhi from UConn for next year. Wiltjer should be much better next year and Hood will be back to add good depth on the bench.

A starting lineup of Harrow, Goodwin, Muhammad, Bennett, and Noel and a bench with Hood, Poythress, Wiltjer and, Cauley would be the most talented team in the country.

[quote name='Bengal Cat' timestamp='1332887286' post='1112794']

I can see a bunch of UK and UL fans on Bourbon St. mixing like oil & water....lol

Be careful BAB.
[/quote]
I'll be with fam, and I rarely drink anymore. Mostly gonna out for a little to mingle a bit and get some incredible seafood. But yeah. It will probably be fucking rowdy. If we knock them out, I can see there REALLY being fights that night due to some bitterness from lingering UL fans.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1332903740' post='1112900']

This game should be good though. Both games should be, but you know Pitino is going to have his boys ready to try and beat UK. I think it's going to come down to the last few minutes. It won't be a Baylor blowout.
[/quote]

The top players are going to wait until Davis and Gilchrist officially annouce to go NBA draft and then UK's class will be bad ass once again.

Whether or not they'll be final four good will need to play out but I think they'll have the talent.

UK fans will be upset with a loss. Just like any other loss this deep in the tourney. However, I don't feel like Cal is under anymore pressure to have to fear for his job.

I think this is Rick's last stand at Louisville. They supposedly had the in on Teague and Gilchrist but lost them to UK. It's a wonderful job by Pitino this tourney but it seems like a swan song.

I'm sure if there wasn't riots in New Orleans with LSU and Bama fans in the Big Easy there won't be too many problems between UL and UK fans.

I just wouldn't pass out in a Krystal like the LSU fan did and ended up on youtube getting T-bagged by Bama fans.

Goes without saying but if the Cards aren't shooting well they are going to get crushed, IMO. The rebounding margin is going to be hugely in favor of UK. Rick is going to pull back his boys to guard against UK's transition game thus not a huge attack on the glass. Even if they attacked the glass UK would still have rebounding edge.

IMO, Cards will try to stop transition baskets and then pack it in on the half court.

This is were Cal doesn't get enough credit, IMO. Just like last year UK is equally dangerous in the half court and transition game. It's not an either or for them.

I think it's going to come down to UK's ability to score in the half court and I think they are going to get their buckets doing it. Everyone of the starting five attacks the rim so good. It's like a pack of wildcats attacking a turkey. Crazy.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1332908777' post='1112947']
UK has a potential to be stacked next year. They have an excellent chance at landing the top two recruits in Nerlens Noel and Shabazz Muhammad and Anthony Bennett who is in the top 10. They already have 3 in the top 40 coming in. Ryan Harrow will be eligable next year and they are trying to bring in Alex Oriakhi from UConn for next year. Wiltjer should be much better next year and Hood will be back to add good depth on the bench.

A starting lineup of Harrow, Goodwin, Muhammad, Bennett, and Noel and a bench with Hood, Poythress, Wiltjer and, Cauley would be the most talented team in the country.
[/quote]
I don't think they're getting Shabazz. All signs point to UCLA. No idea on Bennett. I know he wants to go and play with Shabazz but I don't think that's going to happen. Harrow just wasn't very good at NCSU.

I just don't see them being a power house next year. Noel will be good. I just don't see them being like they were this year.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1332960195' post='1113180']
I don't think they're getting Shabazz. All signs point to UCLA. No idea on Bennett. I know he wants to go and play with Shabazz but I don't think that's going to happen. Harrow just wasn't very good at NCSU.

I just don't see them being a power house next year. Noel will be good. I just don't see them being like they were this year.
[/quote]
Yeah, well it would be hard to be one of the best teams in college basketball history 2 years in a row, starting mostly freshman.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1332960415' post='1113185']
Yeah, well it would be hard to be one of the best teams in college basketball history 2 years in a row, starting mostly freshman.
[/quote]
I think the reason they are so good this year, besides obviously having the best freshman the NCAA has seen in some time, is because T.Jones and Lamb stayed. I could see Lamb staying another year, but I bet Jones is gone.

For such a young team to play defense and shoot free throws so well is astounding. It's like a team full of seniors who want it more than anyone else. If they can get past the intra-state game, I don't see how OSU or KU could even slow them down.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1332960195' post='1113180']

[/quote]
I have a felling Shabazz and Bennett will end up at UK with Noel going to Syracuse. If they can add Oriakhi they should still be good.

Harrow should be much better next year. He played on a badly coached team. A full year under Cal and he should be much better.

The SEC is going to be weak next year. Vandy and Missouri are losing a lot of their talent. Teams outside the SEC are going to lose a bunch of talent. UNC will lose Barnes, Zeller and probably Hensen. Duke is losing Rivers and Miles Plumlee. Ohio State will lose Sullnger and Bufford. Kansas will lose Taylor and Robinson. Syracuse will lose Joesph, Waiters, and probably Melo. Overall college basketball might take a step back next year talent wise. UK won't be as good as this year but they will still be a top team next year.